Becker active at start of term

Salt Lake mayor earning praise for fixing relationship with council

• Pat & Penny
    July 6, 2008 10:02 p.m.

Yes, at last a breath of fresh Salt Lake City air. Becker defines what a mayor should be, unlike his predecessor, who came in to bulldoze and use the office as a stepping-stone to higher positions. Now that his spots are apparent, lets hope he makes his place where he belongs; as a sad footnote in SLC history, utterly unelectable anywhere else.

Becker shows already the kind of leadership we've missed and appreciate all the more now that it is back. Happy days ARE here again!

• glad
    July 6, 2008 4:02 p.m.

The change in the atmosphere has been so wonderful since Becker was voted in!

• mike
    July 6, 2008 3:54 p.m.

I have to admit that I am more excited that Rocky is gone than Mayor Becker is doing a good job. I am cautiously pleased with Mayor Becker and hope we are all not being fooled because of our joy of having Rocky out of the Mayor's office. Good job Mayor Becker.

• Bountifulite
    July 6, 2008 11:55 a.m.

I applaud Mayor Beckers accomplishments since taking office. I also worked in Salt Lake City but live in Davis County, and wished I could have voted in Salt Lake Citys elections. I have even started to shop in Salt Lake City again.

• Caffeine?
    July 6, 2008 11:36 a.m.

Does Becker sleep? Caffeine consumption must be through the roof. Thanks for all your hard work!

• Rocky supporter
    July 6, 2008 11:34 a.m.

Becker has shown that Salt Lake City really can have its cake and eat it too. From what I've seen, Becker is every bit as liberal as Rocky. By being a consensus builder, Becker is able to actually get things done at an impressive pace. Without good relationships at the legislature, Becker's registry would have been dead and the TRAX line would be stymied. I can't wait to see what the remaining 7/8ths of Becker's term holds if he can get this much done in 6 months.

• Davis County
    July 6, 2008 11:29 a.m.

I live in Bountiful, but have worked in SLC for many years and consider myself in a way a resident of SLC. I have been impressed that Becker does such a good job of getting things done. Salt Lake City will be a better place after his time is up. Thank you Ralph!

• SLC Voter
    July 6, 2008 11:22 a.m.

I didn't vote for Becker in the primary, but voted for him last November. If I had known what a great job he was capable of doing, I not only would have voted for him, but would have been out knocking doors and volunteering for his campaign. Thank you Becker supporters for giving us such a fantastic, hard-working mayor! Keep up the good work Mayor.

• Scott
    July 6, 2008 10:26 a.m.

I am grateful for Mayor Becker, and hope more people in Salt Lake City will recognize the great improvement over the previous Mayor Anderson. It is not helpful to always be combative and self-serving. Thank you Mayor Becker!

• Not a citizen of SLC
    July 6, 2008 8:37 a.m.

Way to go SLC residents for electing a mayor that is doing such a good job! It's so nice not to have someone in there who is an embarrassment to the city, state, and well, to the whole human race!

• Citizen of SLC
    July 6, 2008 12:38 a.m.

As a citizen of Salt Lake, I am quite pleased to have Ralph Becker as my mayor. There will always be ways to improve the city and not all of us will be happy with the decisions made by the mayor but it is nice not to have the contention in the city that I felt was there when Rocky was the mayor.