Former BYU football star uses Mandarin — not NFL status — as foreign ambassador

• M.M
    Oct. 1, 2008 12:12 a.m.

Chad Lewis is the perfect example of putting God first and letting everything else fall into place. He is humble, and caring as well as talented. Taking time out of his schedule to visit my brother when he was dying was just one of many examples of his compassion for others. A wonderful person and a talented NFL player.... What a great combination. I also went to high school with him so I remember his athletic talents well. Hopefully he will expand his NFL ambitions to Canada too... we don't get enough exposure and our kids need it!! The CFL isn't well supported either.... My son dreams of playing in the NFL someday and he has the size and talent to do so but he has a great role model in Chad which makes it even better. He's hoping to be in one of his football camps.. It would be an honor!! Keep up the good work Chad... You have a lot of fans!! A great example for my son to look up to!!

• Dooku
    July 8, 2008 8:23 p.m.

Hey Chad, how about chanting the haka in Mandarin Chinese?.......That would be a cool sight to behold....LOL!!

• SJ Bobkins
    July 7, 2008 7:53 a.m.

Come on give me a break. I was excited and it was 2 AM. Can you all overlook Chris for Chad and Popeye for Pacman, given the hour and intensity of emotion? You all knew who I was writing about anyway. Isn't that what communication really is?

• Rick
    July 7, 2008 6:46 a.m.

Chad is all about helping others in any way possible. I met him several years ago and can truly say here is one totally class individual. His mother-in-law is from my home town so he comes back somewhat frequently. He is also best friends with Ben Cahoon, another totally class guy, and we are related so I am doubly fortunate.

• RON
    July 6, 2008 11:36 p.m.

AS A RETURNED MISSIONARY TO TAIWAN MYSELF, I REALIZE THAT IT WAS THE LORD THAT SENT ME THERE AND HAD ME LEARN MANDARIN. WE ARE DOING THE LORD'S WORK. SPORTS IS SOMETIMES A MEANS TO AN END BUT NEVER THE END. CHAD WAY TO GO, NOW YOUR THE LORD'S ALL PRO AMERICAN REPRESENTATIVE TO THE NATION OF CHINA. PRESIDENT KIMBALL SAID THE LORDS SPIRIT WAS BROODING OVER CHINA AND WITH RIGHTEOUS AMBASSADORS LIKE CHAD MANY OF THE CHINESE MAY SOON BE ABLE TO KNOW THEIR FATHER IN HEAVEN FOR THE FIRST TIME.
    GAN SHIEH CHAD!

• James
    July 6, 2008 10:35 p.m.

Another great example of a Saint maiking good! Good on you Chad and show the world your roots as the finest of the LDS. Great missionary prospect in the far east.

• top hero
    July 6, 2008 8:10 p.m.

Chad's a great guy and the NFL is lucky to have him at the front. He's bound to make the NFL look good in China--however, he represents the NFL but is not necessarily representative of the NFL. What I like is that it puts a good man in the spotlight to advocate good stuff . . . not necessarily religion, or BYU, or Utah, or USA. He's just a genuine guy standing for good stuff.

• Sammy returns
    July 6, 2008 7:56 p.m.

I love free enterprise. It let's me dig a pit for another and catch people slipping when they word their contracts just a little wrong. I giggle everytime the court upholds one my frivolous lawsuits.
    I'm also speculating on oil big time and at the same time shorting GM stock. It is a sweet system. I think allthe NBA, NFL, and Baseball players should go on strike again demanding more money because that's the american way. Get all you can baby. That is what I say. It's free money.

I hope Chad has a shrewd attorney making sure he gets a cut of every thread of merchandise in China. You are right. Who cares about doing something to make the world a better place? Only if you are getting paid. Hey, it's a long flight to China. You better get out your wallet.

By the way, Chad's Mom is the best. And thank Goodness he isn't all about the money.

• Bob Allen Lequia
    July 6, 2008 6:26 p.m.

If you knew Chad Lewis's mother you would understand why Chad is the way he is. She used to work with me until she quit where I work to pursue other things. She is a very sweet and kind lady. She used to keep a miniature Philadephia Eagles helmet on top of her desk. I am a S.F. 49er's fan and used to tease her that she needed to have a 49er's helmet not the Eagle's. She would just laugh at me. It is easy to see why Chad is the way he is even though I have never met him.

• Not Sammy
    July 6, 2008 5:27 p.m.

Sammys anti-free enterprise rhetoric makes one wonder if Sammy might not be happier living in the old China or Russia; pulling the leverages of power, setting prices and wages for everyone and everything. Yes, the same China and Russia that are moving away from totally failed government controlled economies.

• Also to SJ Bobkins
    July 6, 2008 3:14 p.m.

And it's Pacman Jones, not Popeye.

• Utah Iggle Fan
    July 6, 2008 3:13 p.m.

Reliable hands on the field, reliable in lending a hand off it. Keep up the great work, Chad.

• Sammy
    July 6, 2008 2:50 p.m.

Why does everything have to be about money? It is the silly people who have their hand out every step of the way that causes the prices for EVERYTHING to sky rocket.
    Are we all supposed to cheer for the oil speculators for making billions at our expense? We all just want to worship money.
    Players who demand more money because they can catch a ball only cause the ticket prices to go up. "hey but if you are willing to pay it then that is the market" And that is why gas prices keep going up. Because we have a lot of "smart" speculators getting a piece of the pie.

Thank goodness Chad isn't just about money. He can make a huge impact in a country that abuses people all day long. Go get 'em Chad.

• Hopefully
    July 6, 2008 10:10 a.m.

Chad is a great example and person. But hopefully he also has his business hat on and these visits are tied to the NFL in some sort of a business contract as their is such a huge potential for money from Chinese purchased NFL merchandise.

• TO: SJ Bobkins
    July 6, 2008 9:36 a.m.

Its Chad, not Chris. Check your work.

• Hawk
    July 6, 2008 9:16 a.m.

Chad Lewis is what BYU football is about; great people willing to give off of the field as well as on the field. As a Utah grad I take my hat off to this man and the principles for which he stands. If only my alma mater had some of that vision.

• ER in AF
    July 6, 2008 7:08 a.m.

I was a missionary in Taiwan, the first graduate of the Chinese Language program at the U (scratch the Red off and I am Blue to the bone sports-wise) and worked at the Beijing Embassy when Chad was there. I can speak to both what he said in English and Chinese at the Fourth of July last year in Beijing. He is articulate in both languages and a true ambassador of the NFL, Utah and The united States of America. His popularity was not in any way hurt by the fact that the New England Patiots also were at the celebration.

• SJ Bobkins
    July 6, 2008 2:04 a.m.

When we get sick and tired of the recruiting battles with sometimes pedantic and spoiled 17 year old blue-chippers, or when it appears that the sports section reads more like the police reports; it's refreshing to read about this great young man, (yes, Virginia 36 is still young). Chris has done nothing but humbly represent the NFL, his church and his university in a first class manner.
    I wish him the best. He is the anthesis of the Popeye Jones crowd.
    There are sports heros, you just have to know where to look.