'Justice' system's grip tight

• Joe Moe
    July 7, 2008 7:02 p.m.

Well said, Jeffrey (5:03). I believe some segments of society are coming to this realization. The problem is two-fold: the ones who are too soft, and the ones that are too stiff. It is a hard line to walk, and I believe it will take time and "baby steps," but we I believe we are making progress and will continue to do so.

• Jeffrey
    July 7, 2008 5:03 p.m.

The real problem, to me, is that society is more focused on "vengeance justice" than on prisoner rehabilitation.

I'm not saying we should be providing gourmet dinners and leather sofas for inmates, but we should be providing help for the addict, education, social skills, etc. Even if we lack the desire to help the convict, we should realize that by doing the above we help society, and therefore ourselves. I am sure there are many convicts who are beyond help, either by choice or action, but I'm sure many more could be helped in some way.

Yes, there absolutely must be consequences for actions, but our goal with the entire justice system should be on making society safer, not on ruining the life of a criminal.

• Mike Richards
    July 7, 2008 1:41 p.m.

Don't stop trying just because some clerk tells you to wait. The "public servants" work for you and for me. We don't work for them.

Being polite goes a long ways towards solving a problem, but simply asking, "Is there anyone else that I could talk to that might have a better understanding of the situation", works wonders.

I have never hesitated to ask for a supervisor when I've run into an apparent stale-mate in government. It has always worked.

Sometimes nothing can be done at that particular moment, but talking to someone who can solve the problem is better than talking to someone who obviously doesn't care and obviously isn't going to do their job.

As a side note, working for the government means that you work for the people, not for your supervisor. You are responsible to solve every possible problem. You work for US. WE pay your wages. It's time to start doing your job and to stop finding excuses. Remember, YOU can be replaced - easily. There are a lot of people who are out of work who are more qualified than you to help the public with their problems.

• Joe Moe
    July 7, 2008 11:04 a.m.

This sounds disturbing, but there usually are two sides to each story. Perhaps a little investigative journalism, DN?

I like this letter. It's genuine, personal but has connections to all of us, and it shines a light on some probable malfeasance. Thanks for writing, Aaron, and good luck.

Side note: an attorney's credibility is undermined when his/her spelling and grammar is poor.

• East Bay
    July 7, 2008 10:12 a.m.

Hang in there. It will all come together. Get the 7$ job now, and its better than prison.

• John
    July 7, 2008 9:45 a.m.

In addition to the very good point you have made, don't forget that you are out of work, and having to deal with ignorant people who have pretty much guaranteed jobs for life, and could not possibly care on whit about your personal problems. They do not know what it is like, to have a real job, where performance and skill is the way to guarantee that they get to keep that job.

Dealing with a government entity is a nightmare, and there is nothing worse than trying to get someone who doesn't fear losing their job for incompetence, to help you get a job under any circumstances.

I am sorry things are so bleak, and people are so ignorant of others. Glad you are striving to set things right, and I hope you have success soon.

• Legal Egale
    July 7, 2008 9:12 a.m.

You are absolutely correct about the Fourth District Court in Provo, they are an absolute nightmare of a joke to work with, and their should be a wholesale house cleaning down there. Also, they presiding Judge of the Fourth District should answer for this poorly ran nightmare of a system also.

And that is comming from an attorney.

• uncannygunman
    July 7, 2008 8:00 a.m.

Good luck to you Aaron. I know there are a lot of barriers out there for ex-cons, but inability to get a piece of paper from the court system shouldn't be one of them. Keep trying and hopefully the system will come through for you.