Liquor lobbyists call for end to law banning Sunday sales

Lobbyists say antiquated law hampers consumer access

• College student
    July 6, 2008 7:24 p.m.

People like the ones that post on this message board are the reason I go to college in California.

• Jason
    July 5, 2008 6:37 a.m.

There is only so much mormon guilt the liquor lobby can play off of in loosening Utah's liquor laws.

Time to normalize? Sure

Lead the nation in ease of access? No Thanks

VA restricts sales depending on time/day and my neighbors seem to be able to get buzzed just fine.

• James
    July 4, 2008 8:18 p.m.

I'm a drinker, but I don't care if the stores are open on Sunday. Just buy ahead of time and keep your cabinet well stocked!

• Alcohol
    July 4, 2008 7:26 p.m.

is a poison, not a food. It should be banned and all that goes with it.

• Seriously
    July 4, 2008 7:03 p.m.

Come on,
    People that drink thing ahead. But it earlier, give the people working a day off. How would you like to work on a sunday? Even if you are agnostic, atheist or whatever, You like to have a day off. Give it to the state workers also. And the fourth? I say close down the nation that day. I feel really sorry for the people that have to work on a holiday. Do you like working holidays or weekends??? Of course not.

• CITIZEN
    July 4, 2008 6:49 p.m.

The jack daniels distillery loacated in the city of lynchburg,TN.(the makers of jack daniels whiskey)is in a dry county.go figure.

• Anonymous
    July 4, 2008 6:17 p.m.

For some true believers, Saturday is the Sabbath. Shouldn't businesses be closed on the Sabbath?

Shouldn't someone tell Bishop Rick that the liquid Geritol Sister Augusta purchases on Sunday morning at the Kolob Pharmacy after she leaves the Ward House contains 12% alcohol?

Tisk! Tisk!

• FaithNoMo
    July 4, 2008 4:18 p.m.

I love the comments by silly Mormons saying if you need to buy alchohol on Sunday you're an alchoholic. Anything to make yourself fell right I guess.
    Jean, keep your God out of our schools. Mind your own business and shut up about Jesus! He drank wine anyway. Unless you believe the Mormon non-alchohlic whine story. I gues the Mormon Jesus drank wine that used BS instead of alchohol. Keep your sabbath day holy. Keep your snooty nose out of my business and quit telling me that Sunday is any different than Saturday.

• Re: Jean
    July 4, 2008 4:14 p.m.

Why don't you keep your god and heavenly father, and his requests, to yourself instead of forcing them onto me? I'm not forcing you to drink, buy or even think about alcohol.

How would alcohol sales on Sunday, or any other day, effect you since you appear to be a non-drinker?

By the way, nowhere in the constitution is there a requirement to "keep the sabbath day holy." Actually, that type of law would be expressly banned (first amendment), mostly because the founding fathers were scared of people like you.

• Jean
    July 4, 2008 3:46 p.m.

The politicians have taken prayer out of schools. The US flag is being allowed to burned on our own soil. So all you people that want to remove God from everything then this is just one more thing. God asked us for one day to be his day and some people can't even do that. You have six days to get your booze, why can't you let the seventh day belong to our Heavenly Father and "Keep the Sabbath Day Holy".

• Park City Resident
    July 4, 2008 3:37 p.m.

There are 21 states that have completely "dry" counties that sell NO alcohol.

I think that its just fine if Utah does not sell alcohol on sunday.

• Newport Doc
    July 4, 2008 3:31 p.m.

BAN ALL ALCOHOL SALES ON SUNDAY!

UTAH IS NOT THE ONLY PLACE IN THE US THAT CURBS ALCOHOL SALES. THERE ARE SEVERAL COUNTIES IN THE USA THAT ARE DRY COUNTIES... 24/7.

I'M NOT FOR MAKING IT EASIER FOR PEOPLE TO PURCHASE A SUBSTANCE THAT DOES ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD FOR SOCIETY!

• Ironic
    July 4, 2008 2:23 p.m.

I find it ironic that the state of Utah largely became what it is today because of the morals upheld by the religious majority. The minority finds certain aspects of Utah appealing and thus moves in thinking Utah is a great place to live but now they want to change Utah to better meet their own needs. What do you think made Utah great in the first place? A family friendly, clean, hard-working, conservative, state with low crime rates. This will only weaken what makes Utah unique and bring the standards down closer to other parts of the U.S. Let's maintain the principles that make Utah great, not change them to make the minority happy.

• Yup
    July 4, 2008 2:23 p.m.

Yeah, change the law and buy booze any time you want. It only makes sense. Let's also change the laws about drunk driving to make it an automatic charge of attempted homicide with permanent loss of the right to own or operate a car on the first offence. That makes sense too. More sense than current drunk driving laws and enforcement anyway.

• Fredd
    July 4, 2008 1:05 p.m.

The only reason not to sell alcohol on Sunday is religious. I think its funny Mormons have to be told to set aside Monday for families. I'm agnostic, I drink on Sunday and every is for my family.

• To jnuts
    July 4, 2008 12:54 p.m.

Just out of curiousity -- which fear and lies are you referring to? Fear of drunk drivers brought about by the lie that drunk drivers kill innocent kids?

• Chris Plummer
    July 4, 2008 12:40 p.m.

RE:Linus "The only people who "need" a drink badly enough to open liquor stores on Sunday are alcoholics."

Well if you NEED a drink any day then yes. But having a drink on Sunday doesn't mean anything, it is all relative.

Personally I don't care if I can buy liquor on Sundays. That law is the least inconvenient in my opinion. Private Clubs and 3.2% beer are much more lame then no liquor on Sundays. Baby steps.

• MTM
    July 4, 2008 12:21 p.m.

Of course those who represent alcohol distillers think the laws are bad. There is no reason to allow alcohol sales on Sunday.

• To Robert Oh
    July 4, 2008 11:56 a.m.

Right on! Very true.

• To Linus & Adam McMillen
    July 4, 2008 11:55 a.m.

When you say Sabbath, are you talking about the Bible Sabbath on the 7Th day (Saturday)or the Sabbath on the 1st day
    (Sunday?). This could make a difference with the laws.

• awesomeron
    July 4, 2008 11:39 a.m.

The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, who ever they are and what ever they represent is/are wrong and The State Of Utah Is Right. Selling Liquor Sold In State Run Stores is the Safest way to Sell Liquor. It is the most sure way to insure that Sales of Liquor are not made to minors. This Organizations self interest is to Sell More Liquor. If you want Liquor so bad the buy it on Saturday. If you run out go with out. Or go to your Neighbors House and ask for a Cup of Vodka. Liquor is the chief cause of Drunk Driving and Domestic Violence, and Poor Sexual Judgment, "I did it because I was Drunk" is an excuse often given for bad behavior. It is a States Right Issue and Utah and to a lesser extent Mass, have chosen the High Road. People in Utah have several other near by States they can go to, in order to buy Liquor and Lottery Tickets. Sunday should not be a Day of Retail. Except for Emergency Services and Prison Guards and a few others. As many people should be off as possible to enjoy family time.

• Robert Oh
    July 4, 2008 11:40 a.m.

How about we open them on Sundays and close them on the Sabbath.

• Anonymous
    July 4, 2008 11:30 a.m.

I'm tired of utah and their stupid law makers. Did you know its illegal to kill a a whale in utah, look it up. I'm suprised the legal age for drinking cough medicine isn't 35 in this state.

• page
    July 4, 2008 10:56 a.m.

went to costco in Lehi yesterday the store in Lehi and Orem do not sell beer. Come on if you don't want to buy beer great but don't force your happy valley crap on us that do.The guy that worked there told me he goes up to SLC to get beer what a bunch of crap.

• Adam McMillen
    July 4, 2008 10:33 a.m.

It is so "antiquated" to be responsible and actually observe the sabbath day by not working and not drinking on Sunday. I cannot believe how behind the times Utah is. I mean really, Utah should be more like Amsterdam or Las Vegas. Why don't we just legalize marijuana and meth while we're at it. I mean really, everyone is doing it so why not legalize it?

• dark side of pluto
    July 4, 2008 10:24 a.m.

If they do away with the 'blue law' some people who are feeling blue can have a drink and cheer up.

• Got sober in 1958
    July 4, 2008 10:07 a.m.

I wish we here in Jacksonville, FL banned liqor all together. So much poison for so many citizens, all so a non productive business owner can have an income.

• Linus
    July 4, 2008 10:00 a.m.

I think the legislature should require See's Chocolate stores to be open 24/7, and one should be located in every Utah community of over 1,000 population in order to meet the "need" of me and all other chocoholics.

Isn't it sad that Sabbath Day observance is "antiquated?" Sad decline!

• uncannygunman
    July 4, 2008 9:56 a.m.

Sure, I'd like to be able to buy wine and liquor on Sunday and state holidays. I don't really see any reason why I shouldn't be able to. But there are a lot of stupid laws, and this one is less objectionable than most. Plus, I like the idea of state employees getting some days off.

All in all, I think the idea should be on the table, but more as a negotiating chip, something to give up to the antis in the private club negotiations so that that legislation doesn't include ghastly new restrictions.

• no big deal
    July 4, 2008 9:39 a.m.

Private club law stinks.

Liquor stores not open on Sunday - who cares? I can always go to a restaurant or club if I really wanted to have a drink on Sunday... just plan ahead a bit to get the bottles.

• jnuts
    July 4, 2008 9:37 a.m.

there are too many people in this state that prefer to keep this state in bubble like that movie "the village" and control every aspect of everyones lives through fear and lies.

• Fredd
    July 4, 2008 9:37 a.m.

Utah is one of nine states considered a "control" state. Control defined as amonopoly on liquor sales. Alcohol is easy to get in Utah. But for a visitor or tourist it is confusing and difficult. So if you think you are stopping abuse with these laws forget it. Locals know how to get around the restrictions.

• Mark
    July 4, 2008 8:50 a.m.

Interesting, almost all the time 'lobbyists' are evil, yet let the liquor lobby raise its head, and it's all about fairness, and kindness to poor thirsty tourists.

I'm all for revising the Byzantine private club laws, but I'm also fine with leaving Sundays alone. 24/7 access to liquor is not guaranteed by the constitution.

• James
    July 4, 2008 8:37 a.m.

I don't want any more sale dollars going to make a few executives of the alcohol business more wealthy. What are they doing to fix the problem of alcohol abuse and its consequences! If a person has to have access to hard liquor seven days a week in order to be satisfied, then our laws are really doing them a disservice in accomodating them.

• Independance Day
    July 4, 2008 8:32 a.m.

Our GOP has gotten out of hand with the LDS running the show
    We are all American Citizens and not Cuba or Russia or German Citizens
    We left England behind as well along time ago
    This is the Independance day, Time we have a Government that gets it's nose out of the peoples business
    Utah has a bad habit with threats to the people
    This is not about Justice
    It is about milking the PEOPLE and DICTATORSHIP
    In no way would I live like my NEIGHBORS
    I mind my own business
    Our City has some strange Idea we have a Home owners Association.
    Quite clear we have the wrong people in office
    Remember they are SERVANTS of the PEOPLE
    Not Kings and Lords

• dcc
    July 4, 2008 8:29 a.m.

If the predominately Mormon legislature cared about morality they would make Utah a dry state. Since that would cost the state billions they won't do it. The predominately Mormon government chooses money over it's religion.

• SJ Bobkins
    July 4, 2008 8:04 a.m.

Upgrading or dropping antiquated "blue" laws is such a positive way to say we want to squeeze more money out of Utah citizens selling a drug which is responsible for more death, destruction, pain and suffering than all the illegal drugs combined. Keep a lip on Liquor and beer, allow wines to be sold 24/7.
    How many more DUI and alcohol related death will occur by increasing the times that beer and alcohol is sold? Our booze industry lobbyist fails to mention that side of the coin.

• Johny Fairplay
    July 4, 2008 8:01 a.m.

I'd like to be able to buy a car on Sunday too.

• substance abuse
    July 4, 2008 7:56 a.m.

When I look at statistics of wages lost, accidents, fatalities, violent crime, rapes, and vandalism contributed too by alcohol, it's clear we, as a society, can't handle our drinking. Until those get under control, I don't see a need to INCREASE the availability of alcohol.

• Zac
    July 4, 2008 7:47 a.m.

Wait a sec. There were a bunch of comments on other topics stating we need do do away with the sale of fireworks for the good of society.

When using the excuse "good for society", why would you not want to ban or increase the restrictions on everything? So far, people made smoking more restricted. People want fireworks to be banned. What makes alcohol so special that we want to lessen restrictions?

• Marketlady
    July 4, 2008 7:41 a.m.

The use and abuse of alcohol causes more deaths and tragedies of violence to human beings than the current war in Iraq. Yet we allow its use just because it is "legal" and the carnage moves on. Where is the uproar about the loss of lives resulting from alcohol use and why does it have to be so readily accepted, promoted, and used? Responsible alcohol use is an oxymoron. To be responsible - don't use it. Spend that money on food and clothes for the needy or scholarships for education for them.

• rightascension
    July 4, 2008 7:30 a.m.

Dr. Andrew Weil once wrote in Natural Health Natural Medicine that Alcohol is the strongest and most toxic of the common psychoactive substances. It is a hard drug, harder than heroin, cocaine, LSD and all the other illegal drugs in its impact on the body and on behavior. Our culture promotes and encourages the use of alcohol and gives the false impression that it is not as dangerous as the disapproved drugs.

Periodically, some research group will report that moderate use of alcohol improves health. Often this research is biased, either consciously or unconsciously. . . . Researchers . . . like most people in our culture, are likely to be alcohol users. Users have an unconscious need to legitimize the drugs they choose to take.

If anything, Utah should be discouraging alcohol use and increasing controls on it.

• Perfect Solution
    July 4, 2008 7:15 a.m.

Sell all liquor and wine at the Big Box Outlets: Costco and Sams.

• Anonymous
    July 4, 2008 6:51 a.m.

Keep em dry. Alcohol is the bane of modern civilization, and it certainly isn't necessary. I'd vote for making Utah dry, and let those who drink, drive to Wyoming to get their booze, or do without.

• Roscoe
    July 4, 2008 6:30 a.m.

I never thought I'd live to see this.

• Bar Manager
    July 4, 2008 5:20 a.m.

As a former Bar Manager I don't see any reason to open state liquor stores on Sunday's or Major Holidays. Other state workers are going to a 4 day work week, so 6 days for the liquor stores should be plenty. If you really need a drink on Sunday maybe you should check out AA or plan ahead.

I do believe it would make sense to allow bars and restaurants to serve alcohol any day they chose to be open and I applad the new law (and proposed laws) in Utah. In addition, I would not be apposed to Wine sales at the grocery stores but would favor keeping liquor at the State ABC stores.

• More Convience, Save Money
    July 4, 2008 2:00 a.m.

It is less efficient to have special stores open to sell liquor when there are already stores open who can handle it. This requires more fuel to heat and cool the buildings too.

Why doesn't the state just continue to tax liquor so it will still make its profit and let existing outlets sell the liquor?

• Anonymous
    July 4, 2008 12:59 a.m.

It's about time.

• SLC'er
    July 4, 2008 12:37 a.m.

well this is bound to get the flock riled up (for the record, as a drinker, I really don't care too much if liquor stores are open on sunday. most people, including drinkers have work on monday morning, and if you really need a drink on sunday, buy it over the weekend and/or drink beer).

• MY SLC
    July 4, 2008 12:28 a.m.

Just let the stores like Albertsons sell wine 7 day a week. That would take care of it.

• Ironic
    July 4, 2008 12:18 a.m.

So all the state employees are going to 4 day work weeks, but people "need" to buy liquor 7 days per week? I vote for reducing the number of days the state liquor stores are open so people will run all of their errands in one trip.