MormonTimes.com: Jerry Johnston: Sacrament is not for the spotless

• Dan
    July 6, 2008 9:54 a.m.

Just a short thank you to Jerry Johnston. He has continually provided insights into gospel principles without being judgemental or preachy. I enjoy reading his words and then just letting them roll around in my mind. They always touch me. Thanks, Jerry.

• Stoney
    July 3, 2008 6:21 a.m.

Say Chuck, it's a shame that you got that message out of it because several times during the course of the article it pointedly said just the opposite. The Sacrament for everyone, at least everyone who's goal it is to become better, a little at a time.

• Dennis
    July 2, 2008 11:45 p.m.

Well now. Thats interesting. Chad and Todd seem to be able to dispense all the bitter, nasty advise they want to us all but as soon as we voice an opinion we are branded as self righteous, judgemental and holier than thou. It seems to me that you guys are the ones who think a little too highly of yourselves. Of course, that is just my observation, I'd hate to be told I didn't have the intelligence to think for myself and the right to voice an opinion without being scolded. Ouch.

• Anonymous
    July 2, 2008 10:27 p.m.

I seen people pass it up routinely because they don't think there worthy. But a few years ago in new era read talk were someone said you should take it too many don't that should.

• Chuck
    July 2, 2008 8:20 p.m.

From what I read: in fewer words, no one should receive sacrament.

• Todd
    July 2, 2008 4:10 p.m.

ramper,

You exactly prove Chad's point. There is not reason to have responded at all except that you felt the need to make yourself into a "living sermon" -- a self-righteous, arrogant "example" of how everyone else should be -- LIKE RAMPER!

The amazing thing is how blind self-righteous people are to what they are doing! They don't even see how foolish they are making comments like yours.

Amazing, isn't it?

• ramper
    July 2, 2008 1:03 p.m.

Sorry about that Jerry. That previous post was for Chad.

• ramper
    July 2, 2008 12:40 p.m.

Interesting observance Jerry. I certainly share your criticism of "holier-than-thou" types and they are not in short supply. However, one of the purposes of the sacrament is to self-evaluate. That requires me to hold the mirror up to myself, not to others. I will leave that to far more spiritual and worthy individuals than myself.

• Chad
    July 2, 2008 11:25 a.m.

Jerry,

Where have you been? Didn't you know that it is the duty and privilege of all Latter-day Saints to give gospel advice to their fellow members as well as nonmembers? Along with the advice comes a heavy dose of judgment and condemnation -- after all, nobody is perfect, but it takes a good Latter-day Saint to point out all the imperfections in his neighbor after he home teaches them and learns all their family secrets!

Wake up and smell the Postum, buddy! The entire purpose of the Church is for each person to take on that holier-than-thou attitude of self-righteousness and to give gospel and personal and family advice to others!

• Jerry
    July 2, 2008 11:00 a.m.

Was I the only one who felt a little uncomfortable reading this article? I don't think the author should be giving gospel advice. That is something reserved for the Church leaders.

• Anonymous
    July 2, 2008 9:33 a.m.

I don't think everything about the gospel is "simple." It is that attitude that keeps the Sunday Schools on a elementary level.

• ramper
    July 2, 2008 5:56 a.m.

Great piece for all ages. Simple, yet speaks volumes. Sacrament is far more than just a robotic act each week. Humble reflection on imperfection needs to be the focus.