NHL squads to play at E Center

Kings, Sharks to square off in preseason contest

• LAFONTAINE16
    July 2, 2008 7:43 a.m.

Brooklyn!!!! (share arena with Nets)

• Gary
    July 1, 2008 7:03 a.m.

Keep dreaming,that will NEVER happen.They would move to Suffolk County or play for a temporary time at the vacant Meadowlands Arena before that happens

• Brian
    June 30, 2008 1:56 p.m.

If the deal falls thru to build the Islanders a new arena maybe they would consider moving the franchise to Utah.That would be so cool

• Steve
    June 30, 2008 11:16 a.m.

Let's go Islanders

• GARY
    June 30, 2008 10:17 a.m.

AGREED,LONG ISLAND ROCKS!!

• Charlie
    June 30, 2008 8:54 a.m.

That's terrible that potiential free agents won't even consider the Islanders.They tried to overpay Ryan Smyth last summer and he told them to get lost.Long Island is such a great place to live and raise a family.Too bad that these players have such a bad image of Long Island.All they know is the hotel and the Coliseum.(both to be replaced shortly).Long Island has so much to offer.

• BOSSY22
    June 30, 2008 7:06 a.m.

His name is ZIGGY

• 94andNevermore
    June 30, 2008 6:42 a.m.

The Islanders should bring the fan with the gold hair who sits in the 1st row and goes on roadtrips with them.He really agitates the opposing players

• 1940FOREVER
    June 30, 2008 6:16 a.m.

It should be the Islanders,it's their affiliate's city.

• Gretzky
    June 28, 2008 7:03 a.m.

too bad it's on sunday. sabbath busters are not a great way to showcase NHL hockey in utah.

• islesfan
    June 27, 2008 2:38 p.m.

yeah,then the islanders fans would play the "chicken dance" to stifle the rangers fans."nah nah nah nah nah nah nah,nah nah nah nah nah nah nah THE RANGERS S---"

• Steve
    June 27, 2008 2:26 p.m.

Imagine if the Islanders played the Rangers in a pre-season game at the E-Center and the obnouxis Ranger fans showed up and started whistling the Potvin S**ks chant. Wow!

• BIG AL
    June 27, 2008 2:06 p.m.

I'm sure the arena in Utah is much nicer and cleaner than Nassau Coliseum. It's a dump!!

• Gary
    June 27, 2008 8:41 a.m.

I'M suprises it's not the Islanders playing.They'd probably draw more people in Utah than they would draw at Nassau Coliseum for an exhibition game(or in that case,any regular season opponent except for the Rangers).

• Steve
    June 26, 2008 11:57 a.m.

On average, the Grizzlies sold 37% or so of their E-Center seats during the year.

Those are not numbers that would attract interest in an NHL franchise.

NHL teams have some of the highest expenses in professional sports, which is why their ticket prices on average are so high. There's no chance they'd look here to move a team or expand.

• grizzfan
    June 25, 2008 4:47 p.m.

I think they have though about haveing an NHL team hear but the hockey market in Utah is just not big enought to support the team. If poeple here are not even willing to pay 15 to 25 dollars a game for a Grizzlies game then there is no way they could get people spending 50-200 dollars a ticket for a regular season NHL game. Don't get me wrong I would love having an NHL team here but I just don't see it happening here. I still love the Grizzlies and enjoy the minor leagues because you get the one on one time with the players. Its great getting to meet guys from all over who love the game and are talented players, its great to watch them progress and see how far they make it. I hope that they can get even more support this season after their great season last year.

• OakFoSho
    June 25, 2008 3:59 p.m.

Why doesn't Utah have a NHL team? Too small? Whats the deal with that. It seems as though you are all happy with minor league hockey, but an NHL team of your own should be the target.

• grizzfan
    June 25, 2008 3:40 p.m.

I like it being on a Sunday night it doesn't have to interfer with my job I can for sure make it on time. Church is in the morning anyway... Can't wait for the game it's going to be tons of fun. What a great way to start off the hockey season!

• Go Kings Go!!
    June 25, 2008 3:37 p.m.

I think we probably aren't getting the Islanders due to the length of travel that would require. I'm guessing this is a collaborative effort of the Grizzlies, ECHL, and NHL to try and showcase the sport here in Utah. If they can pique people's interest with this, then maybe more people will come out to Grizzlies games and see how great that team is.

Personally, I'm pumped. With all the young talent the Kings have, I'm excited to see who gets to play. Hopefully Trevor Lewis, or this year's #2 pick, Drew Doughty. I'd also love to see Brown or Kopitar show up, but I don't know how much they play in exhibition games.

• Steve
    June 25, 2008 2:34 p.m.

It should be fun. However, I'm somewhat surprised that one of the teams isn't the Islanders.

Are we in for an affiliation switch?

• Who was the
    June 25, 2008 12:53 p.m.

genius that slated this game on a Sunday in Utah!?

• Go Kings Go!!
    June 25, 2008 10:53 a.m.

I've been a Kings fan for 15 years, since I was 10 years old. I went to the game 10 years ago and it was great. I'll be there for sure. The only thing that would hold me back is the potential birth of my son who is due October 8th, but if my wife isn't in the hospital, then I'll be there. I hope Lewis does well at camp and is playing. No offense to Jiletto, but seeing Lewis play here would be a bigger deal for a local boy making good.

• Willie
    June 25, 2008 9:38 a.m.

I'm there, too. And I hate to seem ungrateful, but let's work on getting the Canadiens and Leafs here next year.

• Runnerboy3118
    June 25, 2008 8:35 a.m.

Sweet!!! This will be awesome.

• YEAH!
    June 25, 2008 7:45 a.m.

Huge Kings fan! CANT WAIT FOR THIS GAME. CENTER ICE HERE I COME!