Cisneros praises affordable houses

• granny5
    June 19, 2008 3:32 p.m.

And CTMac your income is probably a lot higher than Utah average income. And you may have bought beyond your means. I owned a home, once, and I was house poor. I could afford it, but being alone, I couldn't do the maintenance as needed. Finally sold it and now I rent.

• Anonymous
    June 19, 2008 3:26 p.m.

Yeah but people in CT tend to make a lot more money than people in UT! It's called cost of living!

• CTMac
    June 19, 2008 11:00 a.m.

Spare me the sob stories. Just moved to CT where I pay $3500 / mo for 2,000 ft^2. I would LOVE to have UT prices.

• Way to High!
    June 19, 2008 10:16 a.m.

The price is still way to high to afford.

• Anonymous
    June 19, 2008 9:55 a.m.

Unlike middle-class home buyers in Utah, it should be noted that most middle-class home buyers throughout the rest of the United States buy less square footage, have better quality homes and pay less for their American Dream than the fools here in Utah who consistently are 'house poor' and within a couple of years are struggling to make the house payment, not having factored the added child and one on the way into their 5 year fiscal projection at the time they bought their home.

You new Utah middle-class homebuyers need to get your expectations down to a rational level, especially you twenty something ones. You're wanting the house of your dreams right out of the chute.

The best thing you can do is copy how your grandparents bought their homes. Don't you find it interesting that while many of your parents may have lost a home sometime while you were growing up, your grandparents typically were able to hold on to and keep their homes intact.

Hmmm. wonder why? Because you mom and dad thought they were smarter than their parents when it came to the funny economics of the 80's/90's. Now it's neo-Crash of '29 days.

• Tim
    June 19, 2008 9:18 a.m.

I live in St. George and bought a townhome for $180,000 that is 1450 square feet. This isn't even affordable housing, so it seems like they could get prices lower than 170,000.

• Utah Mom
    June 19, 2008 8:54 a.m.

What a wonderful idea. I like everything about this. Now let's build some more so more of our young kids can actually afford to live here.