West Valley hears defense of gun-carrying

• Bob
    June 20, 2008 10:34 p.m.

Dadburnit, I concealed mine so good I cant find it now....I know I put it here somewhere.. Here? no. what about around there? pifffft no. Under there? zzzzzzip NO zzzzzzip. Back here? well grrrr. Ill find it, give me time.

LOL folks have a good weekend.

• 1ITP
    June 20, 2008 9:09 a.m.

Guns scare me. I would rather see one out in the open so I can run screaming insyead of wondering if everyone around me has one tucked in his/her shorts. You might have one on you now, and I can't tell... AAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

• M1Gunr
    June 19, 2008 11:14 p.m.

Pressure the police chief or training officer to do training bulletins for their officers. In Washington we now have training bulletins completed for many cities on the subject of Open Carry. 911 operators are informed to handle the calls of a MWAG to ask specific questions to the caller. Many times the caller is told that what the OC person is doing is legal and does not require the presence of a officer (ie: carrying 2 gallons of milk in walmart). Need more info on trining bulletins? Come see us on the Open Carry, Washington forum.

• Barry
    June 19, 2008 3:22 p.m.

Thanks for clearifying Bob. Opencarry.org Questions are okay. But a gun safely tucked away in its holster as opposed to being waved around or threatenly aimed is no cause to be drawn on and cuffed for! More training for LEOs and 911 operators on the subject is definately needed everywhere that Open Carry is allowed.

• Scott
    June 19, 2008 11:14 a.m.

Bob: "some carry and have permits to do so, and some do not have permits, How is one to know? "

Just a reminder Bob, people in Utah DO NOT NEED a permit to openly carry a firearm. A cop asking for a permit absent of any "reasonable, articulable suspicion" is akin to them pulling a driver over because he might not have a license.

I carry openly 90% of the time I am not at work and have never had a negative experience. I have met and spoken with dozens of people curious about the practice, most supportive, some wanting to exercise their right in the same way, but unclear on Utah law.

The police can carry openly, so should private citizens be able to as well. Either we are equal or we are not. Training isn't an issue, as most Open Carriers practice more than any Police Department requires of their officers.

• Kent Finnell
    June 19, 2008 9:20 a.m.

Tennessee's Handgun Carry License does NOT require concealment according to the state attorney general. Concealment is strongly advised, but not required, prudent as Bush41 used to say.

The law used to say otherwise, but too many CLEOs had their own definitions of printing, ranging from mild to wild.

I keep my Ruger concealed so as to not frighten little old ladies of both sexes and so I don't learn the first names of every rookie cop in a 10 mile radius. But if the wind blows my jacket aside, I don't worry about it.

From the Music City, USA

• Bob
    June 18, 2008 11:22 p.m.

Inhere lies the problem, some carry and have permits to do so, and some do not have permits, How is one to know? If the LEO's just look the other way and dont respond to a 911 man with a gun call, then this alone sets up a situation where protection of the public falls short and un-permitted gun crime will go up due to non-reaction by LE.

The LEO's should respond with controlled force to insure the safety of all around the person with the gun, but then ASK the person to see there ID and/or permit. Only after asking and not getting the right response/proper ID, should the person be brought under more control.

To tell the truth, Just less than 50% of the public do not want to be next to a person with a gun in a line or bank or anywhere else permit or not, and when they see a gun they do what they feel they should and call 911.

In Texas we have to totally conceal (no printing) and if ask for ID by a LEO, a CHL holder that is Packing must show Both there DL/ID and permit.

• Anonymous
    June 18, 2008 9:01 p.m.

Please train the 911 operators also. They need to ask the caller if the gun is hanging out in plain sight and if the perpetrator is calmly waiting in line.

• thx997303
    June 18, 2008 3:20 p.m.

Swilden, then 911 operators would have to work harder.

They should, I'm all for the police responding in force to someone who is acting in a threatening manner, but if someone is just peacably walking his dog for example, then they shouldn't worry about it, walking his dog OCing that is.

• swillden
    June 18, 2008 11:11 a.m.

I disagree that officers should respond in force. A better approach is to train 911 operators to ask some followup questions, to determine if the person (not all are men!) is threatening anyone or acting in any way suspicious or dangerous.

If not, the dispatcher should explain that it's legal, and tell the caller to call back if the carrier does anything inappropriate or frightening.

• There's a thought
    June 18, 2008 7:41 a.m.

Teach'em the Constitution. They took an oath to uphold it. It might be a good idea for them to know what it says.

• I agree
    June 18, 2008 7:17 a.m.

I agree officers need to respond in force to a report of a person carrying a gun. What isn't mentioned is that a concealed weapon should probably be concealed so as not to cause alarm. Weapons don't have to be openly carried.

I have a concealed weapons permit but would never dream of openly packing a pistol into a bank. I think these folks are in their rights and their pushing the issue because of that.