State finds teacher's remarks about rape victim unprofessional

• FIRE HER!
    June 14, 2008 6:55 p.m.

sure she can say anything she wants to the press, mr free speech.
    from the unemployment line.

• ErinN
    June 14, 2008 12:02 p.m.

John said it all. In high school I was often given alternative books to read because the required reading wasn't one my parents approved (yes I allowed my parents to approve my reading assignments). And I'm glad too. Even being a Mom of two with one on the way I still don't read books that have that kind of material in them.

• a few points
    June 14, 2008 9:56 a.m.

1) Lesson learned: Don't talk to the press. Say "no comment." 2) Too many "letters of reprimand" in her file and she will get fired. So this sort of puts her on probation. 3) This totally hurts other teachers who now have to put everything they teach through "committee."

• georgiaonmymind
    June 14, 2008 7:06 a.m.

Well said John!!!Down here in the South our kids are given "required" reading but if parents object we are given alternative book no questions asked. I live in an area where there are many different religions and cultures and I feel there is more respect for that. It also helps us to be open minded without corrupting our children.

• Mahonri
    June 14, 2008 5:56 a.m.

The teacher has an absolute right to say anything she wants to the press. This is a cheap attempt to muzzle free speech and control the press. Right in line with controlling behavior from Stalin to Mao to every other dictatorial group in history.

• sadme
    June 14, 2008 1:23 a.m.

thank you John. Tabiona worries me. Is the entire community of such an attitude? I was thinking of moving to the Uintah Basin. Not now.

• John C.
    June 14, 2008 1:04 a.m.

This teacher should have been fired. To be so closed minded to think that if students aren't exposed to such material that they needed to be. That thay are so closed minded to think that there are actually people out there who don't expose their children to such books and movies.
    And yet those who try to follow the morals they have are called closed minded.
    These people actually think our kids need to be corrupted and its their job to do it.
    Shame on them