2 lawmakers say computers hacked by Chinese

• Chinese in the White House.
    June 11, 2008 11:13 p.m.

I guess without a politician in the White House that the Chinese can bribe for our secrets, they have to get them somewhere. Maybe Obama needs to run with Clinton so that the Chinese have another politician on back on their payroll in the White House.

In addition, perhaps we should let the Chinese buy up even more of our debt and then ask them to forgive our debt the way the US has so many other countries. If not just file partial bankruptcy and wipe out our own debt to the Chinese.

• Anonymous
    June 11, 2008 10:38 p.m.

The Chinese stealing our secret information and technology. Nothing new there! They steal our technology while exporting to us tainted food and led painted toys for our children. Now the rotten tomatoes from Mexico are poisoning the people. Isn't globalization wonderful!

• Re: Re: Hilarious
    June 11, 2008 8:34 p.m.

Thank you for your comments. I tend to disagree with your statement that the Chinese benefit much more from us sourcing in China. Have you seen how gas prices have been increasing immensely recently? If all the products currently produced in China were to be produced in the USA the price increases would make the gas increases look like pocket change. The Chinese have definitely benefited, but don't fool yourself by downplaying the benefits to the US consumer.

I'm glad your son had the opportunity to live and research in China for a couple of months. I hope that brought him a better understanding of the Chine culture country. I currently reside in Hong Kong and have lived in mainland China for over a year. I still bleed red-white-and-blue (I have the Star Spangled Banner for a ring-tone on my phone), but I my travels and experience over here have helped open my eyes and given me a view of the big picture.

I am also very familiar with the recent and historical Russian-Chinese meetings. The two countries are very strong allies and have been since the PRC was established.

• Re: Hilarious
    June 11, 2008 8:15 p.m.

Understand your point--my son spent two months researching in China a short while back.
    However, we have not benefited from outsourcing to China nearly as much as they have by our doing so. I don't believe that the U.S. wants to destroy China, but the Chinese, who have a large % of their GNP going to military, have been very clear about their intentions toward us.
    I'm old enough to remember when Kruschev visited America and warned us that we would sell the Communist block the rope they would use to hang us. Did you read of the recent Russian-Chinese meetings and the friendly accord as to national goals of the two nations? I didn't think so.

• Hilarious
    June 11, 2008 7:27 p.m.

I love all of these comments that are so one-dimensional. It is obvious that the majority of Americans have no idea how complicated the US-China relations are. The US and China are always calling each other out and saying what the other is doing poorly, yet no actions are taken. I don't think there has ever been a more complicated relationship between two countries in the history of the world. We hate each other, yet we know we can't survive without each other.

• Led Paintlin
    June 11, 2008 5:53 p.m.

The Chinese also poisoned us with putting lead paint on our toys and other imported goods. Why don't we boycott the olypics forever and stop trade with China permanantely. Why don't we just stop trade with all communist and extremist countries period. And stop buying their oil and putting these dictators in power in the first place. They owe us one. If it was not for us the world would be safer.

• bright idea
    June 11, 2008 5:31 p.m.

let's cut off their internet access to the u.s.... i.e. block the commies in retaliation. yeah, yeah, i know it will hurt industry and commerce on both sides of the ocean. but i don't care. until we're not running a trade deficit with china, it will hurt them more than it will hurt us. i don't think china is trying to take us over, they're just trying to increase their standard of living (stealing trade and tech secrets more than our government secrets)... But they're doing it by cheating and stealing. let's balance the budget and nationalize our chinese debt (all we'd have to give up in return is taiwan)

• Brian
    June 11, 2008 5:03 p.m.

I' sure after Senator Obama talks to them they will be nice after that.

• One world government
    June 11, 2008 4:50 p.m.

We're fixing to get a one world government, whether we want it or not. The official language will be Chinese.
    And we will have brought it on ourselves.

When you own 20% of someone's debt, you have significant power over their decisions. It reminds me of the credit card promoters who constantly encourage already debt-laden people to get more cards. Wonder why some politicians are so anxious for MORE government spending, considering the state of debt the country is already in.

• BobP
    June 11, 2008 4:30 p.m.

It is time to boycott the Olymics.

• Gump
    June 11, 2008 4:22 p.m.

The headline on today's DN front page is completely wrong, I believe:

FBI finds Chinese hacked Capitol computers

I believe the FBI has NO COMMENT on the investigation.

Editors, please see my email.

• Funding Of Our Deficit
    June 11, 2008 4:17 p.m.

Since China finances something like 20% of our national debt (that pays for the Iraq War, the "economic stimulus" checks, etc), maybe they were just checking up on their investment?

I find it kind of funny to hear Americans bash China, say that we should not deal with China, completely oblivious to the fact that China is financing a significant portion of our national debt. We, as a country, would have a much more difficult time living beyond our means (cutting taxes for the rich, overthrowing other countries, etc), if China and Japan refused to fund the US.

• Egg Foo Yung
    June 11, 2008 3:15 p.m.

President Bush is wrong regarding the Summer Olympics.

China's human rights record and their long standing tech espionage in the United States is more than enough to not support world events in their country.

The Olympics Committee should not have considered China.

The US should bycott the 2008 Summer Games.

• anon
    June 11, 2008 2:27 p.m.

50% of all entities charged in the US Attorneys office in federal court with economic espionage are Chinese. If a widget costs $100 to develop using normal R&D methods, it costs $4 to collect it using human or tech intel methods. The Chinese surreptitiously enter most homes occupied by US diplomats in China and probably 100% of hotel room used by visiting delegations to China. Is this new info? No. The Chinese do not play fair. Do we have an intel service? Of course, but we are not out to destroy the PRC like they want to overcome us. We do not suppress our citizens like they do to thiers. They have become a softer, nicer totalitarian currupt dictatorship.

• OK...
    June 11, 2008 1:07 p.m.

Oh goody. Let's invade China. Raise the threat level and move in the troops.

• War is coming
    June 11, 2008 12:45 p.m.

This is the new frontier of war, deception and the struggle for power.

12 months ago, I was like everyone else. I didn't update my anti-virus, I didn't worry about malware (didn't know what malware was) or trojans thought hackers were teenage kids causing problems. Now I know differently.

It is estimated that nearly 40% of all computers are "pwnd" or remotely controlled as part of a "botnet" army. Not only are most of naive, but we are active participants in causing physical (yes physical), financial and other damage to others.

Be warned, this will be very important in all of our lives soon. It isn't only Congress.