John Florez: International program vital for Utah students

• Parent of IB Student
    June 19, 2008 11:18 p.m.

Wow, there is a lot of unjustified paranoia going on in Utah regarding the IB program! I think the state legislature should spend more time looking at how to better our schools for all of our students instead of wasting time and energy spreading lies and assumptions about one of the few academically challenging programs available to our children. For those of you who believe the falsehoods created by Dayton and Eager, why don't you sit in on some of those IB classes? I'm grateful my daughter has the opportunity to be in the IB program and earn college credits. She's being challenged academically, and the program will save us money on her future college education!!! What a wonderful, wonderful program to make available to our children. I think Eager and Dayton are creating controversy to make themselves seem important and knowledgeable. I wish they'd focus on real problems, instead. How about improving funding for math and science programs, decreasing class sizes, providing more tutoring opportunities for at-risk students and English-language education programs for children and their parents who may need such assistance so that they can better learn basic skills and contribute to our community?

• utwingnut
    June 10, 2008 6:36 a.m.

If the IB program is designed to challenge my children accidemically I am for it. If the IB program is designed to challenge my children spiritually I am for it. If the IB program is designed to challenge my children I am for it. The current school system here in Utah does nothing for my children right now but frustrate them. If the IB program is availble to my children when they are of age I hope to enroll them in it. And for what its worth, as a strong member of the LDS faith I have given much thought to sending my children to a catholic school so then can see something other than the "Great White Mormon Man."

• GML
    June 9, 2008 12:37 p.m.

Senator Dayton and Mrs. Eager have raised some good questions regarding IB, and there's nothing wrong with a constructive discussion to find answers.

Mr. Florez, you've said nice things about the IB program, but unlike Senator Dayton and Mrs. Eager, you've given me no evidence from the curriculum to back up your position.

• Maybe If?
    June 9, 2008 12:22 p.m.

Maybe if we elected School Board Members who were savvy to this type of thinking, and to the destructive thinking that has been prevalent for the past umpteen years then maybe we can get out of this mess. Alas, all we get is the same thing, and that is members who rubber stamp the administrations because the administration is in the knowledge.

• response to article
    June 9, 2008 10:34 a.m.

"The state constitution calls for the general control and supervision of public education to be vested in a State Board of Education; yet, lawmakers micromanage rather than provide a vision for our education system"

Math education in the state needs what ever help it can get. It has declined immensely over the past 25 years. The state board of educatioin didn't do a thing, so members of the legislature stepped in to try to fix things. For this we all ought to be grateful.

You have kids not learning how to deal with fractions in grade school or knowing their times tables, not because they couldn't learn, but because these subjects were not taught. In secondary math, it has been severely dumbed down.

Please don't complain about the legislature steping in. The school board sat back and let things deteriorate.

• America
    June 9, 2008 10:14 a.m.

America's days as a global dictator are coming to an end and we must learn to live and share with the rest of the world and give up our greedy ways. We build this nation on the backs of slaves and stealing land and resources from other nations now we have to recognize the rights of others and give back some of what we have.

• IB mom
    June 9, 2008 9:19 a.m.

Good grief, do Teacher and UNESCO really think the UN is on the doorstep of our schools? This is not about learning foreign languages; it's about learning to discern, to think critically and to question - yes - authority. I fear most of all that our state wants to create little clones who simply mimic what their leaders want them to say - NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Have faith; we know what is right for you - you do not. That's the message I'm hearing and the one that makes my stomach churn.

• Cherilyn Bacon Eagar
    June 9, 2008 9:10 a.m.

Mr. Florez,

IB issues include governance, cost and ideology. The Legislature is funding this program, administered internationally under international law. We are moving to more state control. State legislators are doing the right thing to ask for accountability.

No one rejects the idea of rigorous academics. The objection is that IB, as well as other nationally-driven curricula and assessment, test values, attitudes and behavior as well as academics. Its politically correct, post-modern deconstructionism trickled down from leftist colleges and universities.

Globalization is not what you present. IB is partnered with UNESCO. (President Reagan withdrew us from that organization because it is so anti-American.) IB supports U.N. ideals, including The Earth Charter (upon whose ideals IB has been built). No one wants to prohibit the next generation from being able to work or communicate with the world outside the U.S.

What the legislature doesnt want another generation to be taught that its OK to continue the federal governments compliance with international socialist policies from the U.N. requiring worldwide redistribution of our hard-earned wages, population control through abortion, and environmentalism and egalitarianism destroying our economy and the natural family over the past generation.

Cherilyn Bacon Eagar
    World Class Education Research

• UNESCO
    June 9, 2008 7:06 a.m.

The only thing that is vital is that the UN get into our school systems and spread the propaganda that our capitalistic system is the cause of world poverty and economic woes of others and thus we must be further punished by taxation and redistribution of more of our wealth.

That is all the UN is about!! Shame on you sir, you ought to know this!
    Shame on any Republican that supports the UN on our soil in any way shape or form, let alone letting them have at our kids!

• Teacher
    June 9, 2008 6:26 a.m.

This article is nonsense. It uses the same old buzzwords that mean what? The way to 'compete in the global economy' is to know your subject area. We need the UN to tell us to teach languages? And for those of you who still think it's learning about other cultures I have news. It's not so much learning about others, but being made to feel America's culture needs to take a back seat.