Clinton endorses Obama

And she heralds campaign's impact on dreams of women

• to Your facts need checking
    June 8, 2008 10:22 p.m.

I have used the Canadian health care system many many times over the years. It's excellent! The problem is that people compare what happens with marginal and elective situations with the typical response for ALL health care here. That's an unfair and misleading comparison. In fact, Canadians have easy access to free preventive health care and immediate response to necessary major care.

They do need to restructure the financing of their services but Canada's economy is growing much faster than ours and they can well afford to do it when they sell the changes to the public.

The growth of their economy is possibly due to those American car manufacturing jobs that have moved from Detroit north of the border as a previous poster said but also from their technology sector jobs. I suppose selling lower priced prescription drugs to Americans who can't afford to buy them here is part of it too.

• One More Time
    June 8, 2008 10:13 p.m.

Obama's "change" is nothing more than the dusting off of the same old tired, failed and rejected policies of his predecessors of the past forty years--those notorious promulgators of "change"--Dukakis, Mondale, McGovern, Carter, Gore, Kerry and now Obama. One notable difference between those "change" artists of the past and Obama is that Obama, with his incredible gift of words and oratory, has been able to disguise his "changes" so they aren't recognizable as the same old tired, failed and rejected policies of the past. Let us remember that Democracy is the worst form of government except all those others that have been tried and defeat the socialist elitist. Hold your nose if necessary but vote McCain.

• Anom
    June 8, 2008 10:08 p.m.

I feel sorry for you guys....still no one decent to vote for.... well now it is no longer the 3 stooges to choose from but only two...laurel and hardy instead of larry moe and curly!!!!! if this the best that the usa can do you guys are in dire straits....who are the independents this year...have not heard any or much about them

• for dilemma
    June 8, 2008 10:07 p.m.

You personify the opinion most people (wrongly I thought) have of Utahns. I hope you are not LDS. You could disagree with Democrats, Clinton or Obama. But must you do so by making fun of people in the Special Olympics? That is a very worthwhile and admirable cause for very special children of God. Yet, you use them as pawns in your little political bite. Thank you God that I do not live in Utah where such mean spirited people seem to be the norm.

• Ross Perot on McCain
    June 8, 2008 9:32 p.m.

"McCain is the classic opportunist. Hes always reaching for attention and glory. After he came home, Carol walked with a limp. So he threw her over for a poster girl with big money from Arizona. And the rest is history," - Ross Perot

• Jane
    June 8, 2008 8:41 p.m.

Yes Thank you Hillary for showing me how wonderful it is to have a Respecting and Loving Husband who cheats on you, disses you, and shows you a total lack of RESPECT simply by being such a "Womanizer", and by being such a great example as a husband! It makes me proud to be an American Woman, especially with you as an example to me as to what An AMerican woman should be, and what she should represent... NOT!

• Your facts need checking
    June 8, 2008 8:31 p.m.

Dear Re: confused.
    Health care: Canada is nearly bankrupt from their govt. health care and their care isn't as good as ours. Many Candadians come to the US to get operations because waiting lists. Research it!
    Taxes the rich: Same old lie they have told us forever. I am not rich but I sure do pay lots of taxes--almost 50% of my income in fed, state and local taxes.
    Family values: Our leaders are our teachers. What did Bill Clinton teach the youth of America about morality?
    I am still confused and I don't have to watch the Fox New Channel. I agree, why would anyone vote for a Dem unless you are a socialist. By the way, will dead people be allowed to vote again this election? Interesting they always vote democratic isn't it?

• Now what?
    June 8, 2008 8:08 p.m.

Now that Senator Clinton has ended her run perhaps all the Clinton haters will have to find new material to refer to when you wish to be so self-righteous. Oh wait ! Senator Obama! A godsend for you. No wait. Can't do that since that "revelation" back in '78. Oh yes you can. You CAN SAY it is because of his political beliefs. Carry on !

• Hey 6:56!
    June 8, 2008 7:57 p.m.

Obama voted for the immigration reform bill THAT McCAIN WROTE. BOTH of them oppose a constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriages. BOTH want to ease restrictions on Cuba.

The BIG reason to vote for Obama is that he is committed to getting troops out and stopping the drain of the 4100 American lives and $550 BILLION it's already cost.

• Lewt
    June 8, 2008 7:36 p.m.

SLMG has it right. The rest of you are just using bumper sticker accusations because that's the way many of you think. Ah, the power of GOP marketing.

• to Re: confused
    June 8, 2008 7:12 p.m.

I think you're misinformed. I think Democrats want policies that are realistic and can be enforced. And I think people like Fox News distort that. After all, John McCain wants the same immigration policy.

And you really must check the data on universal health. Countries that have it have higher rates of live birth, longer life spans and greater economic growth than we do. The CIA (yes, Central Intelligence Agency) keeps a data base you can check so you're not feeling the source is "Democratic". And auto industry jobs could return from Canada where heath care is provided and not an expense to manufacturers.

I don't mind if the Democrats raise taxes on the executives of the oil companies and other multimillionaires (like Cindy McCain) who cleaned up in the Bush years.

Finally, family values are what WE teach our children. They don't change with political parties. But, meanwhile, the government we've had hasn't even registered how much harder it's getting for families and their corruption has included members of Congress preying on young kids away from home working as pages for criminy sakes!

• Re: confused
    June 8, 2008 6:56 p.m.

I am confused too! I wish someone could help me understand why anyone would vote for a Democrat if you love freedom and your country! Democrats want as many illegal aliens here as posible to get more votes to stay in power. They want universal health care that has bankrupted every country that has ever tried it. They refuse to fix Social Security which will go broke soon. They refuse to allow oil drilling anywhere so we can get energy prices down. They want to "negotiate" with terrorists. They will raise our taxes (again). Family values will suffer and abortions will increase! Those are not my words, these are the "changes" they promise! Lord help us! You may need your food storage after all, because Obama will win the election. Doesn't say much about people in America does it?

• My take
    June 8, 2008 6:38 p.m.

What I will never understand is why Democrats can get aways with anything in this country but if a Republican leader does something dishonest, he is forced to resign (rightly so)! I still think of the crooks Bill Clinton pardoned just before he left office. Not a word or questions in the national press about it! Not a word about him selling military secrets to China or what he did with the money! All we are told, is it depends on what is, is! Clinton fatique is real!

• Confused
    June 8, 2008 5:51 p.m.

It's okay for the Re-Publican machine to teach its adherents the politics and talking points of personal destruction. It is not okay for the opposition to indict the Re-Publicans for the same type of behavior.

We will NEVER get out of the mess we are in unless this stops. We know that George and Bill caused EVERYTHING to happen as well as LIED to cover their tracks.

Let's move the agenda to more important subjects like FREE TRADE, ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, ENERGY, HEALTH CARE, and SOCIAL SECURITY, as well as IRAQ. I know, I know it feels soooooo good and just to rail on each other. However, time apears to be running out...

• SLMG
    June 8, 2008 3:31 p.m.

Hillary made a very impressive speech and because she did, every woman and man should be proud of her for the strength she has shown. She was not the choice of all of the people but that doesn't mean she does not deserve praise for running for the highest office in the land.

As far as who is honest and who isn't I think we should all look in the mirror before we cast that first stone. And who slept with whom before, during or after marriage is something that God will judge them on, I don't approve of sex out of marriage sex by anyone but I do believe in repentance and forgiveness.

It is time to get on with the election campaigns now that the 2 choices have been make and quit raking up the muck from the past and work for a great future for the best country in the world.

• Anonymous
    June 8, 2008 12:04 p.m.

Oh! And if "honesty" is important to you, look for video of the townhall meeting where someone asked him about calling his wife the vile name that he did in front of reporters and staff and McCain was so craven about it that he not only evaded the question but tried to make it appear that the questioner was the offender. That should tell you a LOT about the man's honesty v his ambition.

• Anonymous
    June 8, 2008 12:01 p.m.

In some respects, cheating on his previous wife pales in comparison to speaking to his current wife in the way he has in front of reporters and staff.

• kcbob
    June 8, 2008 11:59 a.m.

Wow! What does Bill think about all this?
    do da,do da.

• Anonymous
    June 8, 2008 11:54 a.m.

Where is the "honesty" in using your government influence to interfer in the investigation of Charles Keating in the S&L scandals, then stand for campaign finance reform, then evade all the provisions of the legislation you wrote, then take Americorp mortgage lobbyists into your advisory group?

• Actually, you will be seeing
    June 8, 2008 11:54 a.m.

Many more people like me (open minded and caring for everyone no matter what their religion, sexual preference gender etc) all over Utah. It is the those small minded people that are slowly disappearing. So, with that in mind, I will stay and watch those type of people disappear.

• do any of you people
    June 8, 2008 11:50 a.m.

understand sarcasm?

• puhleeze
    June 8, 2008 11:28 a.m.

What a joke. Hillary endorsing BHO. Again, what a joke. She and Bill are so low that they will put on a false front only to derail BHO behind the scenes so she can run again in 4 years. She has no desire to see him in the White House. She is so self centered that she, and Bill, will stop at nothing to get back into the Lincoln Bedroom. Don't you all see that?

What sadness for America, all the way around.

• Re: to So What
    June 8, 2008 11:22 a.m.

Being too old is something hopefully we will all go trough. Being dishonest is a choice, a choice the Clinton's made on their own.

• Politics
    June 8, 2008 11:20 a.m.

As Merril Cook once said "We are all just ugly actors". I don't trust any of them.

• Ben
    June 8, 2008 11:20 a.m.

Ann:
    Check your history, McCain also cheated on his wife with his now current wife. He has admitted this as fact. So what's the difference? No respect shown by him.

• to So What
    June 8, 2008 11:13 a.m.

It was a far sight more moving and genuine than McCain's pitiful speech. Here he is trying to make the case for why he's not too old to be President and he goes on national TV looking like he's already on life support and it's not doing the trick.

• Re:I see some small mindedness
    June 8, 2008 10:43 a.m.

See ya later!

• Observer
    June 8, 2008 10:36 a.m.

A great speech by Clinton, much better than expected. You know it's a good speech when the right wing parrots at Faux news struggle to come up with something negative. It was sincere, from the heart, and the crowd knew it. A great contrast to the last McCain speech before a few dozen unenthusiastic people who were on the verge of falling asleep. I've been very leery about Hillary Clinton becoming Obama's running mate, but after that speech have changed my mind. It would be an unbeatable ticket in November. Clinton would deliver Ohio, Pennsylvania, probably even Florida resulting in a Democratic landslide. It's very important for this country that we get the Republicans out of the White House and get a large majority in both houses of congress.

• I see some small mindedness
    June 8, 2008 10:16 a.m.

Above! (Not all), but I think people that critisize others are so arrogant! Good for you if you have a husband that has been wonderful (many people don't). And I doubt many people have stood up and cared about so many people as Hillary has!
    It was a wonderful speech and very moving.
    I'm sometimes told to literally "move" if I don't like it here...maybe I will. The arrogance and self-righteousness here is terrible. But I love so many of you that it's hard. I will continue to "live and let live". Get over yourselves...there are many in the world that are good people.

• Ann
    June 8, 2008 9:30 a.m.

It wasn't her gender that made it difficult. Her easy dishonesty was so apparent, too many rejected that.
    Even an unknown young leader looked better.
    Now onward, to decide if a grumpy guy with a bit of experience looks better than that.

• Re. Ann
    June 8, 2008 8:41 a.m.

That's a good one, Are we talking about the same husband who demonstrated his respect for marriage and women with Monica L. in the Oval Office?
    I'm just happy that this Clinton - White House mess may finally be over.

• Pat H.
    June 8, 2008 6:53 a.m.

Was Chelsea Clinton really 28 years old in 2002? I think this is in error.

• So what
    June 8, 2008 6:38 a.m.

Sorry but it wasn't "genuine" and it wasn't "moving". Anybody could see just by watching her grit her teeth when she said it, that she didn't want to. She is such a phony.

• Ann
    June 8, 2008 6:28 a.m.

Oh thank you Hillary, because of you I have self-respect once again. Just if I could get my husband to be like your husband who shows so much respect for marriage and women. Yes the Clintons are all about simply helping others, especially women. Thank you thank you!

• dilemma
    June 8, 2008 5:21 a.m.

First black nominee?
    First woman nominee?
    Cruel to have to choose one.
    Too bad it isn't the special olympics, they both could win.

• I think I'm going to cry
    June 8, 2008 5:19 a.m.

I'm so proud of America

• Big Deal
    June 8, 2008 12:15 a.m.

Who else was she supposed to endorse, John Mcain?.