Extra $170 for gas adds up

Monthly hit is forcing Utah families to economize

• Obama Republican
    June 10, 2008 10:18 a.m.

Do you all watch Jay Leno, I think many of you would be perfect for his street interviews? Real economics will solve the oil crisis, hmm.. Tell me why are there price controls on product like insulin? If you don't know it because people die without it. Sadly our economy is so depenent on Oil we will die without it.

Opec knows they have us by the tenders, they can and do manipulate production, supply and use propaganda. Opec has a monopoly on the life blood of economic development.

Our Government needs to act to build alternatives. We need Nuclear Power in every state, Wind Power, Solar Power, Coal and Hydrogen power.

The Republican Party is full of Oil Money why will they ever, ever want to move to new sources, the profit is just to great.

facts.

ANWAR: if we drilled today would not produce oil for 10 years.

US Refineries are operating at 85% capacity, strange with prices so hight they are not at 100 percent.

Oil Shale, it really is not oil it sludge that when heated becomes refineable. It is open for development but not affordable

• PJ
    June 10, 2008 1:29 a.m.

In 1973 we had the oil embargo under a Republican president. Once they received permission to build the Alaskan pipeline it ended. In the 80's we had skyrocketing prices, James Watt at the direction of a Repubican president sold offshore leases for less than their value off the coast of California and it ended. Now the oil companies want the off-shore leases off the Alaskan coast under a Republican president.

War in the Middle-east fuels speculation. If you start a war there, prices will go up. Canada has the second largest oil reserves in the world, Utah, Colorado and Wyoming have reserves equal to Saudi Arabia, it's time to open the oil shale fields. From what I understand iif the price stays over $50 a barrel a profit can be made with todays technology. Maybe strip mining is needed?

• Obama Republican
    June 9, 2008 3:54 p.m.

Are you kidding me do you honestly think that drilling in ANWAR or offshore would fix this problem? The easy oil is gone try drilling 8000 ft then horizontally. Now add explosives and hope it starts flowing, You get 4 billion barrels in Montana... ANWAR by all accounts would cut the cost of Oil by 75 cents a barrel NOT DOLLARS.

I'm not green I am a realist we should have at least one nuclear power plant in Every State. We should Jump all over clean coal. We should stop using Corn for Ethanol and buy sugar cane from Cuba, Brazil or where every else it is grown.

What I wont do is say that Republicans are going to do a darn thing to fix our energy problems. Why should they, The Profits are better and Better for the oil companies that pay for their book deals.

The whole world is not buying Oil, Brazil exports energy and is the fastest growing economy on the planet.

Bush plan/fuel economy is 35 mpg by 2020.
    china 48 mpg2008
    EU 47 mpg 2012
    why can china do 48 mpg in 08 but we can't?

• To the Obama Fan
    June 9, 2008 3:06 p.m.

Did you NOT read the post from Bryane? The WHOLE WORLD is needing to buy oil while we SIT on the oil reserves we have. The world sees us as someone with a full pantry hitting up the local Food Bank and taking from everyone else. We are begging the other countries to sell us more oil, while we horde what we have. Who's fault is it that many of our Drilling sites were placed "off-limits"?

You said "President can set fuel economy by allowing laws to be passed." - what laws has Bush vetoed that would have set fuel economy? Congress (both sides) needs to STOP sticking on garbage onto bills just to get their pets projects approved.

• obama republican
    June 9, 2008 12:57 p.m.

"Your stop it yourself", the president does have veto power. PLEASE look up how often with a republican congress did BUSH use his veto power on a spending bill. NOT ONCE!

The President also has the ability to buy oil for the country, the Strategic Petroleum Reserve is buying oil every week. What for are the soviets going to bomb us?

President can set fuel economy by allowing laws to be passed. How many times have we cut our own necks by not demanding higher fuel efficiency.
    Companies look a one thing the bottom line, if it cost profits to make a car more fuel efficient then they wont!

Look at GM now in the past few weeks as Hummer, SUV and Truck sales have fallen off a cliff they are bragging they will have a Electric car by 2010. The sad thing is they already had one, and it would be in production now but profits were just to small. Big trucks, SUVs, etcc had a better mark up so forget the clean car.

Why is Toyota the best selling car now? Because they can see past next quarters earnings.

• Your stop it yourself
    June 9, 2008 12:33 p.m.

You said "Here is a DANG GOOD ANSWER. HE IS THE PRESIDENT. HE RUNS THE COUNTRY WITH MORE POWER THAN ANY OTHER SINGLE PERSON.:

You know absolutely NOTHING about how this government works if you think Bush "has the power". Congress HAS THE POWER and when you have one party holding all three -democratic congress, house and president- then you see a power play.

The President has VETO power, every little actual "action" power over the whole country. He has those departments that fall under the EXECUTIVE BRANCH, the others you need to be yelling at CONGRESS for.

• obama republican
    June 9, 2008 10:35 a.m.

I get very tired of all the fear mongers out there. Most point to Obama and call him a Marxist or a Communist.
    Hello, have any of you looked at our biggest supplier of goods? China has a full on Communist government and they are eating our lunch in production.
    We continue as Americans to cling to our past economic superiority. Americans and America is bankrupt. Our Debt is over $30000 a person, we still do not have a dime in Social Security or Medicare.

Democrats believe in taxes and then paying for what we need as a country. Republicans cut taxes but do not cut spending.

Sounds like most Utahans, spend like you make a fortune, then file bankruptcy or walk away from your house blaming the bank for you own stupidity.

• Huh?
    June 6, 2008 11:27 p.m.

Republicans are about free markets and minimal government intervention. It is not in their nature to interfere with the markets. I support that. It isn't the president's job to control gas prices. Markets determine prices. People talk about price gouging and conspiracy. So EVERY oil company is in on it? All it takes is one company to break the silence and charge what they really should (which they would-they would get all the business!). It's ridiculous. There is no way that is what is happening, but I hear educated people making these conspiracy theory statements.
    What it comes down to is that people aren't willing to change their habits. Why would you pay $170 more in gas a month? Drive less. If everyone would drive 5 less miles a week, gas prices would drop in short order. Pull up your boot straps, folks, and stop waiting for America to do something for you. It's not the president's job to screw up the market, that's what communism is all about.

• Obama Repuplican
    June 6, 2008 11:14 p.m.

How many of you actually think about your comments? Getting off oil is the answer to most of our current problems. There have been many ways to get off oil over the years. Look at the electric car GM had over 300 in California before Arnold. All ran well were very profitable for GM but where are they now? 1 out of 300 can be found in a warehouse. Business and Republicans as I ve found out sadly late in life are out for one thing Profit and Power. Brazil is almost entirely energy sufficient, they are the fastest growing country on the planet, yet they are not stuck bending over to OPEC. ANWAR would not solve our problem it would only put it off a year or two.... We need a behavior change, I think that is what most people don't want to except.

who ever commented on the CIA FBI wall forgot MR BUSH SR was CIA Director there and it stunk just as bad... Maybe once bush fired the Clinton folks, his own people should have told him there were no weapons of mass Destruction... Oh yeah the Clinton people left in the CIA did.

• STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT
    June 6, 2008 10:53 p.m.

What is WRONG with you people who think this is a Democrat/Republican-based DRILLING ISSUE!?!?

Drilling has NOTHING, NOTHING! to do with it.

Exxon Mobil makes record profits and you guys still think this is drilling? That's pretty thick.

Our government and certain(if not most) Big corporations of America are married in a corrupt entanglement of lawless, moral-less, & greedy behavior.

If Bush being the most powerful man on Earth with HIS OWN PARTY in congress for a decade couldn't prevent this long downhill slide. Then he is either not caring or allowing it on purpose.

Some are crying "Why blame Bush? Why blame the current president?"

To quote from my religious book. D&C 98 (&134) can teach you a lot about whats wrong with the United States. Verse 9: "Nevertheless, when the wicked rule the people mourn. "

Someone else mentioned on a comment a couple months ago a chapter which to date ASTOUNDS me that I never compared to our current government. Ether 8, read the whole thing.

Many woke up, when will the rest of Utah?

• To: Bush this Bush that!
    June 6, 2008 10:36 p.m.

So because the Democrat congress has been in for two years it ALL the sudden got bad!?

It's been going down hill since Bush was in office and The Congress was Republican for a decade during this time.

Before Bush it was $1.47 and now it's $4.00

So many Utan's think Republican is the right and LDS thing to do. Only an idiocy can conclude this. The Church and many of it's members, including myself, are constantly reminding others that this isn't true yet so many still follow it.

Awake to your awful situation and know that Agency has nothing to do with an invasion and occupation of a country which has never attacked us. Preemptive war is condemned in the Book of Mormon and Bush has admitted that this invasion was based alone on us believing he had WMD's. Thought that is now known to be false; this begs the question... 'Because they may have powerful weapons, what would have given us the right to invade them on that premise?'

This is a corrupt war by all LDS beliefs and principals.

Our countries current state REFLECTS it's leadership. D&C 98:9-10,16,23-31,32-35 These prove the U.S. is drifting from all truth.

• Why blame Bush?
    June 6, 2008 9:28 p.m.

Who is it that continually stops new exploration and drilling for oil in Alaska and off shore? Folk, it ain't GWB! It is your democrat friends in congress! The reason gas prices are high is because demand is increasing and supply is NOT increasing! GWB has tried several times to presuade the democratically controlled congress to allow more exploration, but no, we might hurt a flower or a mosquito. As long as dems have control over congress, we will never see the supply increase. Lets place the blame where it belongs or we will NEVER fix the problem!

• G
    June 6, 2008 5:29 p.m.

There are three factors that determine how much you pay in gas:

(1) Your fuel efficiency

(2) How much you drive

(3) Fuel price

Two of those three things you have control over.

• "Soccer Mom"
    June 6, 2008 4:51 p.m.

Stop trying to make me feel bad! I DO look cool in my Black Escalade! I like having a large vehicle. I feel safer, and if anyone gets in my way, I ride up on their tail and they either speed up or get out of my way. I know my husband has to work his tail off to pay for the gasoline, but aren't I worth it? My self-esteem would suffer if I didn't have a nice SUV like the other ladies in my neighborhood.

Besides, I NEDED the space to transport my two kids where they need to go. And when I'm running errands, I can put on a cute little baseball cap, sunglasses, and drive and talk on my cell phone IN STYLE!

All you who put me down are just JEALOUS. Just keep driving your little Civics, Camrys, and Prius. I'll be the one next to you gabbing on my cellphone, laughing and looking down on you in your little sardine cans.

• Anonymous
    June 6, 2008 4:44 p.m.

Whether or not Bush is to blame for high gas prices is debatable. Yes you have the circumstantial evidence that he is an oil man. On the other hand you can point to massive growth in the developing world.

What's not debatable are the Obama's porposed solutions. He wants to increase fuel efficiency standards and promote renewable energy sources. He also plans to put forth measures to protect American workers rather than American consumers.

If renewable energy was cheaper or better WE WOULD ALREADY BE USING IT, but it is not Making cars with higher fuel efficency standards makes them more expensive. I don't know about you but I can't afford to buy a new hybrid yet.

Limiting ourselves from foreign competition also makes everything more expensive. The cost of protecting a few jobs is passed along to the consumer, which is all of us.

When you couple these plans with new taxes to support universal health care and other ever increasing handouts, you will see some real economic difficulties. Obama's energy policy has nothing to do with helping the economy, but everything to do with environmentalizm.

• Q
    June 6, 2008 4:34 p.m.

Its time to make a "Space Race" effort toward more efficient modes of transportation. Gas shot up $11 a barrel today, in 1999 it only cost $18 a barrel. I've got an idea, why don't we take what we spend in one month in Iraq and dump it into R&D grants at our universities and research centers and get this problem solved. WE HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE to develop new energy, we just don't fund the great thinkers of our time to find it. One month of Iraq costs about $12 BILLION!!! Put that into R&D and we will find a solution within the next decade.

• Drill now, drill here
    June 6, 2008 4:32 p.m.

Simple: drill now, drill here. Increase supply.

• RJ
    June 6, 2008 4:23 p.m.

Lets get real, if Clinton had't vetoed drilling in Anwar in 1995 we would have a million more barrels of oil being produced every day, and cheaper gas prices.

If the Clinton administration hadn't built tke wall, that prevented the FBI from talking to the CIA, the FBI would have been able to figure out why Muslim's were learning how to fly large aircraft, and didn't want to learn to takeoff and land. Then
    911 would never have happened. Then we would't be at war in Iraq.

Busch should have fired the CIA director that Clinton had installed to run the CIA when Busch was elected. Then he may have had good intelegence and we wouldn't have gone to war with Iraq So their is pleanty of blame to go around

Obama is going to give you change you can believe in, he said out in Oregon that you would have to lower your thermostat in the winter time and raise it in the summer time, to save energy.

It's going to take many years to develope an alternate fuel supply.

• It's not about SUV's
    June 6, 2008 4:21 p.m.

Let's look at this a little differently. The argument don't drive an SUV or Truck and gas prices will go down is faulty. I wonder if we should tell the hard working men and women who drive semi's full of our food, clothing and durable goods to ditch the gas guzzling Diesel and go for a Metro? I think the only way the mindset "don't drive an SUV and that solves everything" will be opened to a wider array of effects of the gas prices will be when they go to a grocery store and find the shelves empty. I think the full impact of what higher prices for gas will do to our economy would be a better subject of conversation.

• slclifer
    June 6, 2008 4:14 p.m.

Even better - it is the republican bush administration who has stood by and let the record profits soar. yet polls report the majority of Utahns, will vote for John McCain.
    Better get used to it.

• Ex super power
    June 6, 2008 4:05 p.m.

The issue regarding oil is it's effects. We are not a small nation. We depend on Truckers to bring us food, clothing, and durable goods. If the truckers can't bring food due to gas prices, how will we eat? How will business make money with no employees or with anyone buying their products? Are we all self sufficiant to provide our own food in clothing? The answer is NO. We are heading to be an ex-super power nation. No trucks, planes or trains = no FOOD, CLOTHES OR JOBS. It's not about if you own an SUV or are wasteful it's about sustaining a balance in our lives.

• Obama Republican
    June 6, 2008 3:46 p.m.

Wake up people as long as we have a political party that sees nothing but big $$$$$$ we will never be off oil. Every President since Nixon has promised an Energy policy that would end our gluttoneous consumption of Oil.

Obama will do something about it, we need to stop the oil lobby. Each one of you that Drives a big SUV need to buy something smaller. Stop using the excuse they are safer!

We all need to put an end to the insanity. I sold my F250 and bought a smaller truck. (honda Ridgeline) Maybe its not much but I get 20 mpg instead of 8. I buy all my fuel from Sinclair.

We are funding all the Terrorist by using their oil so freely! If I am wrong tell me how? Petro Dollars are blood money!

• Blame the Boomers.........
    June 6, 2008 3:33 p.m.

I'm choosing to blame the boomers and their parents. They tore out very efficient public transportation and started the march to the suburbs. It is absolutely ridiculous that we have to start a car to get groceries and all of our other necessities.

• Bryan from Bountiful
    June 6, 2008 3:23 p.m.

Don't beleive everything you read. $93,500 a year is the average household income in Utah? I brought hom $75k as a civil engineer and i always considered my salary a little above average. I am walking into my bosses office right now demanding a raise.

I will admit I decided not to go to Southern Utah this year for turkey hunting. The $125.00 for gas was not worth it. I can buy a weeks groceries with $125.00....but not by much

• Clare
    June 6, 2008 3:20 p.m.

I appreciate some of the valid answers I have received from many of the comments above. I definitely agree with the comment about not having developed a viable energy policy.

As to my going to areas with 'agendas,' I didn't spend much, if any time doing research on the subject. My objection came from the unsupported comments made regarding President Bush getting rich and other things which have been said on this board. If you are going to make an accusation, it needs to be supported. I didn't give any links to any particular website because that would have definitely been, 'pushing an agenda.'

I do my best to make us less dependent on oil. I drive a hybrid and do many other things which would greatly help us use much less oil. We need to change our personal habits so we can slowly change into a society which uses much less fossil fuels. This will probably take years. In this way I guess I am "Holier than Thou."

• Mark
    June 6, 2008 2:26 p.m.

This oil crisis is going to make the one in the 1970's look like child's play. It is economics on an international scale. India and China are purchasing more petroleum.

The U.S. needs to develop alternative sources of energy. This is a matter of national security and our economic future. It should rise above politics.

Our next President needs to lead out on this. In the 1940's America initiated a "Manhattan Project" to split the atom. We need such a coalition of government and businesses to solve our energy problem.

• Real reason for oil prices
    June 6, 2008 1:10 p.m.

I use it on my hair. I have a lot of hair. I am personnaly responsible for the increase in oil prices. Lathering up my back hair alone depleted most of Saudi Arabia's reserves. So far, however, my luck with the ladies has been mixed. This is a big mystery to me.

• Who makes that much??
    June 6, 2008 1:05 p.m.

I sure would like to know who in Wells Fargo came up with the numbers that Utah average income is 90,000 not unless they only deal with the very very rich!! My family doesn't make that much none of my friends nor their families nor their friends make over 90,000!!! CRAZY!!! Only in my dreams or my husband or I become professional ball players and that's not about to happen.

• RE. Kevin
    June 6, 2008 12:47 p.m.

Do you have free internet/cable, flowers and a mint on your pillow now? Just how is your life? And just what do you think another Rep. will do for this dismal outlook? More of the same? things will be O.K. soon? This is just a little blip? Walk don't drive? Fast do not eat? Turn off the furnace you won't freeze? I need more answers please.

• Re: Kevin in Utah County
    June 6, 2008 12:18 p.m.

Will Barak Messiah Obama also give me free cable/internet, fresh flowers every day, and a chocolate mint on my pillow every night?

If so, I'll vote for him!

• Wasteful and short sighted
    June 6, 2008 12:16 p.m.

If Americans would stop buying huge SUV's they don't need, the price of gas would go down in general and those families would need to buy less gas.

Our suffering now comes from our wasteful habits, and our refusing to develope our own resources as we ought.

We need CAFE standards, we need nuclear power, we need more wind, we need more drilling, we need more refineries.

• RE: Michael
    June 6, 2008 12:08 p.m.

Why is Bush to blame? Simple. Oil was $27 a barrel and now it is $132 a barrel and the jump came through his reign on the thrown. You are one of the neocon idiots that would continue supporting him while being lead off the cliff.

Bush started the war in Iraq. Oh yeah, 911 happened. Funny, no Iraqi's on the planes. Funny how our defenses were pointed out to sea. This all happened on his watch, he took the responsibility when he took oath, he should also take responsibility now. He is our fearless leader you know. Yes, I do blame Bush and his henchmen.

• Re2: Clare
    June 6, 2008 12:02 p.m.

Regarding Futures, there is significant disagreement between people smarter than you or I that the futures market is what is causing gas prices to go up, not to mention how much oil is left in the world.

You seem to have a very narrow view with a strong opinion about things. I suggest taking a little broader look around and you find its not quite as simple as it seems.

• Re: Clare
    June 6, 2008 11:49 a.m.

First, I have no idea if Bush is getting rich off of oil. But I definitely do blame him (and the previous presidential administrations of the past 20 years) for not creating a viable energy policy that takes a realistic view of oil instead of getting caught flat footed like we are today.

Try a little googling of your own before you you get all holier than thou ... And I recommend avoiding sites that have their own "agenda".

According to the EIA, United States proven oil reserves declined to a little less than 21 billion barrels as of 2006. In April 2008, the USGS released a report giving a new assessment of the Bakken Formation underlying portions of Montana and North Dakota. The USGS believes that with new horizontal drilling technology there is somewhere between 3.0 and 4.5 billion barrels of recoverable oil remaining to be discovered in this 200,000 square miles formation that was initially discovered in 1951. If accurate, this reassessment would make it the largest continuous oil formation ever discovered in the U.S. However, it would represent only a five to seven month supply of oil for United States at current rates of consumption.

• Clare
    June 6, 2008 11:05 a.m.

I forgot one thing. You did to do a study as to how Futures work on the stock market. That is what is truly making gas prices go up.

• Clare
    June 6, 2008 11:00 a.m.

For those of you who blame President Bush for the record oil prices, please give us some proof. Also, please show me how the President is getting rich out of high gas prices. Please point to specific Bush polices which have caused oil prices to rise.

The democratic-controlled Congress refuses to allow us to drill most of our vast oil reserves and more off the coast of California, etc,... Please give proof that the war in Iraq has contributed to the rise in oil prices. Are you saying that the success of the troop surge is causing oil prices to increase.

As for proof for my ascertains, I suggest you do a google search for 'can't drill for oil in the United States.'

It is wrong to make wild accusations without any empirical proof. It's like doing a science project without using the scientific method. For example, I have Multiple Sclerosis. A few yeas ago many people claimed that bee stings helped to stop or slow down the disease. The M.S. Society funded a study to check this possibility. It actually made it worse. Check your facts and show proof before you make false claims.

• Brooks
    June 6, 2008 10:59 a.m.

The weak dollar = expensive oil, if interest rates rise then oil will drop. Over 40% of the cost of fuel is the result of the drop in the USD. If the Federal Reserve would allow the risk-free rate to increase, we will see energy prices drop. There is not a shortage of energy, we can all fill up the tank (unlike the 1970s). So, Americans need to start to save some of their paychecks, and let's get interest rates back to strengthen the dollar. Economics 101 folks.

• Bryane
    June 6, 2008 10:37 a.m.

I read many papers all over the USA, no - I do not live there. But I will tell you. You Americans are so SELFISH. You have lots and lots of oil on your own land. But you do not want to use it. You want to horde it for yourselfs for later. You are only producing about 5 percent of all the oil in the world, but you use much more. I do not care how much you use, but do not take it from the rest of the world. Go get your own oil from your own lands. But no - you will not use your own oil. You want to keep your own lands pretty without oil machines to look at. You do not care if there is a oil machine pumping in front of MY house, just so your house does not have to look at it.

• Iran will have the oil
    June 6, 2008 10:34 a.m.

There is no shortage of oil. Prices will hit the stratosphere because Bush said let's annex Iran to America's empire. Iran took exception to a US invasion and we will see no end to the oil war in the Mideast.

Get educated. Oil prices will triple where they are today.

We need to high tail it out of the Persian gulf and let the rogue dictators battle it out on their own turf.

Bush and Congress are bankrupting us with an endless war for empire and inflationary strategies that make the Great Depression look pleasant and Utahns are going to elect Cannon again. How stupid can we get?

• To Michael:
    June 6, 2008 10:25 a.m.

It has nothing to do with 'blaming every president' just because we need someone to blame.

Look at Bush's history with oil and who funded his campaigns the most and look at where Bush focuses his time aside from Iraq. Too many things point to Bush having an agenda. If he is such a great president what is he doing to stop this?

After a lot of pressure from Congress, he publicly said he would probe oil companies for price gouging etc. He never follows up on it and even if he did. This is 'for show' politics.

He has the power to fix this problem and he does nothing. Bush said when talking about the recession that we have seen the signs earlier and are taking action to fix this. This stimulus is NOT an EARLY fix. It's not even a fix. Homes are still going into more foreclosure at record rates and people are loosing more jobs every day.

He isn't fixing it and he admitted that Iraq has nothing to do with 9-11 (google-video:Bush admits Iraq)

Now what IS he actually doing FOR us? His actions have ONLY been HURTING America. And supposedly he has no agenda?

• Trickle Down
    June 6, 2008 10:23 a.m.

Now we get to see the real effect of good old Republican trickle down economics. People, not the good Republicans of course, are starting to spend less on non essentials like eating out, minor car repairs, business advertising, new clothes, new furniture, vacations, etc. So more people lose their jobs meaning they have less to spend, so more people lose their jobs. Then the home loss thing kicks in, and on it goes. I'm waiting for the good Republican Bush supporter response of....."they made bad decisions", or "I'm doing well, so what?"......things like that. Isn't it great living in Bush Republican "only the strong survive" America? Maybe some people just don't understand the simple fact that no society is strong, or can survive for long, unless everyone in that society feels like they have a chance and have an investment in that society. That means everyone.....not just Republicans who do well in a dog eat dog system that they love so well.

• Way to go bush!
    June 6, 2008 10:08 a.m.

The reason gas prices have gone up so much is do to inflation. Bush has caused this inflation by dragging us into a war we should of never been in. We are borrowing money from the Saudi's and the Chinese to finance our war machine. The fact that our country spends more money than we make causes inflation due to the fact that the US dollar looks like a horrible investment for foreign countries compared to their alternatives. Our nation needs to get out of Iraq as soon as possible and start spending less money than we make. If we fail to do this we will end up in a civil war between the have's and the have nots

• In Canada
    June 6, 2008 9:57 a.m.

Be grateful your oil is $4.00 a gallon, your cousins to the north of you (Canada) are paying on average $6.00 a gallon. We supply you with 17% of your oil needs and we are not running out any time soon.

UAE OPEC Governer recently said (May, 2008), he believes market fundamentals do not justify curent high global oil prices. Ali Obaid Al Yabhouni said he is concerned that oil prices are rising 'too fast too high', adding that the UAE is prepared to produce more oil to meet its 'commitment and responsibilities' as a producer.

There is price fixing going on. Your senate meeting last month proved that, $37 billion profit in the first quarter for the big oil companies. That is beyond ridiculous.

Suggestion, trade in your big SUV's and trucks, get smaller cars, change your driving behaviors and you will be surprised how much you will spend less on gas for the car.

• To "Big"
    June 6, 2008 9:51 a.m.

I'm surprised you even have access to a computer. From your post, I assumed you lived in a cardboard box.

For your information, I live in a small apartment. I drive a small car. I walk to the grocery store. I wear a small size of clothes. My hair is flat. I save money by not eating out a lot. You should be very careful when you use the word "we."

Obama? Talk about a BIG ego. He doesn't have a clue what it's like to be a regular ol' Joe.

• Kevin in Utah County
    June 6, 2008 9:50 a.m.

Based on what I'm reading here Bush seems to be the reason for high gas prices. He's an oil man so of course he wants gas prices high. So when Barack Obama becomes President, and I believe he will, seeing as how he is not an oil guy, I expect gas prices to be back below $3.00 by the end of his first term and back below $2.00 by the end of his second term. If this hasn't happened then Obama has failed his Country and he has failed all those who voted for him.

• Real Economics
    June 6, 2008 9:42 a.m.

We will end our dependency on oil when it is priced too high. Other options will then be explored, and the creative American People will pull ourselves out of this situation by finding a better way than oil.

• John
    June 6, 2008 9:43 a.m.

Are people really spending that much more for gas? $170 a month? Wow.

I live in Draper and work downtown. That's a 20-mile commute one way. And my gas bill has only increased about $20 a month. But then again, my wife consolidates shopping trips, we plan ahead on how to visit family effectively, and for liesure, we walk or bike on the Porter Rockwell trial, within walking distance from our home. So anyone spending that much more on gas needs to learn to enjoy the life around them and cut down on driving, or pay the price.

I don't like the higher prices either. It doesn't cut into my discretionary spending, but it does cut into how much I save a month. But I also applaud the changes coming from higher gas prices. FrontRunner South, once scoffed at, will now be applauded I hope. More options for mass transit and for alternative fuel sources is good for everyone, including Mother Nature.

• "Big" is so passe
    June 6, 2008 9:32 a.m.

Big is so 2000. We were all so about living big. We drove big SUVs. We moved into McMansions. We built big box stores to buy big appliances. We ate big portions at big franchise chains. We bought big wardrobes to clothe our big bodies. Big folks with big hair from big megachurches elected a president whose state's motto is "everything is bigger in Texas." He waged a big war based on big lies and failed to veto a single bill for his first six years, which just led to really big spending deficits.

Well, big living and big deficits come with big costs. Not just declining dollar values, because we all ran up big debt to fund our big living, but also big energy costs. It takes a lot of oil to keep up with us.

So now it is 2008, and "big" is out. Go Obama!

• High prices good
    June 6, 2008 9:30 a.m.

High gas prices are good for everyone. Finally car manufacturers are producing more fuel efficient cars to meet consumer demand. The only way to get cars that don't run on gasoline is to have high gas prices for an extended period. I hope they stay at $4/gallon for a few more years. In the end, we'll all have better communities.

Read Charles Krauthammer's op-ed in the Washington Post today.

• No more roads or airports
    June 6, 2008 9:30 a.m.

It's time to stop burning up billions to increase our traffic and airport capacity as anyone who follows the news can see they won't be needed.
    We will need more transit, intercity rail and buses, and walkable community housing. You know, all that stuff we had in the early 1900's and decided we didn't need anymore because everyone had a car and gas cost a quarter.

• Ty
    June 6, 2008 9:19 a.m.

It really doesn't matter anymore. Our "leaders" are all corrupt. No one cares about anyone anymore. Brothers will sell brothers just to make money. We sell the oil we have here to other countries just to make more money. The corperation is king and we are all it's servants. Democrat or Republican there both evil. I look back at all the super power countries in history from Rome to Germany to Russia. One thing holds true. The mighty will fall. Maybe one day even the "Mighty" U.S. will be a third world country. So all of you keep racking up credit card bills, keep buying Hummers and Escalades. Keep buying buying buying until you owe more than you'll ever be able to pay back. Keep feeding the monster that is big corperation. Until finally one day we'll all be ruined. Also I would like to say I'm sorry for not being a very good speller. And I know everyone here is a critic about that as well. Don't listen to what others have to say just rip them down.

• perceptive
    June 6, 2008 9:18 a.m.

By the end of summer $4.00 a gallon will look good. Alternative energy sourses is the answer but who and where will that happen? We would rather complain than act.

• DCnTN
    June 6, 2008 9:14 a.m.

Let's see, GWB saved me thousands a year in taxes, and I pay $170/mo in increased gas costs. Can I lobby for giving him a third term?

Twenty five years ago in Ireland I paid $5/gal for gas. In inflation adjusted terms that's probably at least $10/gal now. I have always known this was coming. Right now fuel is $8-9/gal in many high tax european countries.

This is really simple. It's not the war, it's not GWB. The world economy has grown by leaps and bounds. A couple hundred million people in China and India have gotten cars for the first time. Combine that with huge immigration numbers to all industrialized nations and the worldwide demand for oil, food, metals and pretty much everything has gone through the roof. A few years ago we had a crisis in supply of cement. Now copper is very expensive.

Unfortunately the only quick fix for the problem would be a worldwide recession. There are seminal moments in world history when things change forever. This is one of them.

• dave4197
    June 6, 2008 9:12 a.m.

I for one cannot stomach you whiners who blame Bush or big oil. Long ago when I entered the job market, and gas cost less than $1/gal, I realized the wasted time and money of long commutes. So I've tried, and succeeded, and lived within 15 miles max of my work, and much of the time it was 8 miles and I bicycled a lot. My income was above average.

You do what you need to do. Nobody needs to commute 36k miles per year, nor 2+ hours per day, unless your head is stuck in the sand. We should be more intelligent than that. There are options. I'm old enough to remember when the average household had one car and drove 10k miles per year, me thinks that is a part of today's problem, a misguided attitude that we're entitled to drive a lot.

Chasing out the present administration and bringing down big oil may make you feel good, but you'll learn that it didn't bring down the price at the pump like you hoped. That realization will be tough on elite liberal thinkers whose heads are often found deep in the sand.

• Utah Republican
    June 6, 2008 9:12 a.m.

We, as good Utah people did the right thing by voting for a big oil man as president. A man who selected another big oil man as his vice president. A man who did us a favor by allowing big oil to write his energy policy. Bush is a right thinking man, just as Utah people are right thinking. Therefore, because he is right thinking, and righteous like us, he has the right to reap huge profits from oil and gas. We owe him that. And we should be thankful that he's willing to accept our money. This is how it should be in Republican America. Men like Bush, who have always had everything handed to them, couldn't survive if they had to work like the average American little person, and they need more. We, on the other hand, as right thinking dutiful citizens, can survive with less, and should be grateful for whatever Bush decides that we should have. So be thankful that you are doing so well under the right thinking Republican administration. And also be thankful that we're not living in a nation run by leftist leaning Democrats who are probably socialist or even communist.

• What's the big deal?
    June 6, 2008 9:09 a.m.

I don't see why people are whining and complaining.

After all, polls show a majority of Utahns believe that Global Warming is real, that we should be driving less, that more evironmental regulations and wilderness areas are desirable.

HIGH GAS PRICES ARE THE PRICE YOU PAY FOR CLEAN AIR AND PRISTINE HIKING AREAS. They are the natural result of a lack of drilling for oil on public lands and off the US coast, the regulatory mandates for clean-burning fuels in the summertime, the prohibitive costs of building new refineries.

It's all basic economics; high prices are a natural result of restricted supply during times of rising demand.

And if the Democrats have their way, gas prices will go even higher because the Democrats are eager supporters of the policies that made oil and gasoline expensive in the first place, including restricting carbon emissions to Save Mother Gaia.

In other words, you people made your bed. Now go sleep in it.

• Absurd
    June 6, 2008 9:02 a.m.

I find it absurd how many people blame the president or big oil for these prices. It boggles the imagination how people lacking a basic understanding of economics try to point blame on the boogie man in the closet for all the world's woes, as if a single individual or company was single-handedly capable of driving up fuel costs.

This is a complex issue. I've even got a stinking economics undergraduate degree and I don't even fully understand what is happening, but it is due to a confluence of interesting macroeconomic variables, such as trade imbalances, deficit spending, prolonged artificially low interest rates, and the rush to commodities (food, oil, etc.) as the value of the dollar declines and inflation inevitably rears its ugly head. Big oil companies obviously will make record profits when oil prices rise. They benefit tremendously. Did we all whine and moan on their behalf when they were nearly bankrupt ten years ago? Commodity prices are largely out of their control. Think of this recent oil/gas price spike as the hens coming home to roost. We've funded extravagent spending from funds loaned to us from less wasteful trading partners. Now we get to pay for it.

• Stop Blaming
    June 6, 2008 8:51 a.m.

I wish people would stop blaming everyone else for this and just make the adjustments. Its not the democrats, republicans, oil companies, etc. that have caused this problem. It is we, the people, that have caused it. We are the ones that have become so dependent on oil and we are the ones that have refused to change our habits, despite the spike in gas prices. Gas has gone from $1.50 to $4 and just now we are FINALLY starting to talk about how we can change our life styles to adjust. The oil companies have found out over the last few years that we will pay for $3/gallon gas without changing any habits, so why would they decrease prices now? If we would have made changes in our habits when it was at $2.50 (and thus decreasing demand), maybe the result today would be different. Why don't we stop blaming everyone and just make changes so the oil companies see that we aren't willing to pay for $4/gallon gas. Simple economics!!

• Anonymous
    June 6, 2008 8:50 a.m.

whoever made this numbers live in la la land. Utah's average income is not $90,000. I wish!

• bush this bush that!
    June 6, 2008 8:48 a.m.

Come on you people, how can you blame Bush? We've haven't built a refinery, been allowed to drill off shore, or tap huge finds of oil in Alaska, let alone try nuclear options. If you want to get technical you can blame the Democrats, they've controlled both Houses of Congress for two years and made Celestrial promises that they would lower gas prices once they took power (and throw in some Republicans and of course the environmentalist wacos). If you want my opinion, I think the problem is as simple as supply and demand. Tap new sources and you amp up supply, continue the status quo and you reap what is now being sowed. Personally, I think all of the politicians ought to get off their duffs and pass legislation that opens the gates for the tapping our domestic sources. Blame them not big oil or W.

• Interesting.
    June 6, 2008 8:46 a.m.

The Wells Fargo economist's salary figures seem way off. $95K a year for an average Utah family? No way. Not even close.

I think a prolonged period of high gas prices if fantastic for our society. Look at us. We're going from wasteful to frugal living. We're consolidating tasks. We're carpooling. We're spending less time on the roads, which implies more time at home with our families and friends. Hopefully fuel prices will stay high long enough to make it economically sensible to rebuild our infrastructure for the future. Let's face it: oil is a scarce commodity that has been undervalued for years, and it is better to go through some growing pains to prepare for the long-haul of even scarcer oil than to wake up one morning to discover the pumps have completely run dry. Our society would collapse. I'm convinced these recent high prices will make us better.

• Anonymous
    June 6, 2008 8:39 a.m.

Those who say this is Bush's fault are woefully ignorant. This is basic economics. Countries like China and India have skyrocketing demand. OPEC is limiting production. As demand goes up and production stays the same scarcity sets in and the price goes up. If we would have drilled in ANWR 14 years ago (the dems and Clinton blocked this) we would have millions of barrels a day right now and we wouldn't be as dependent on OPEC. So if we want to point a finger point it at voters who put in politicians who are beholden to the environmentalist (they also by the way have stopped the oil companies from building any refineries in the last 30 years which also decreases supply). When are we as a nation going to decide that lower gas prices is more important than the caribou and elect those who will decrease our dependence on OPEC. It is easy to blame Bush for this just like you blame bush for everything else, but open your eyes and look at what the actual causes are so that we can move towards an actual solution.

• Anonymous
    June 6, 2008 8:30 a.m.

No matter how much you complain and even if the best candidate is elected president and implement the best actions to remedy this situation: things won't change in the near future. There's no point in complaining waiting for a solution. It's useless and pointless. The party is over guys. We need to learn to live frugaly and be more budget concerned. We NEED TO TEACH OUR YOUTH to live accordingly. They are going to be the ones who will suffer the most in the future because THIS IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE. Welcome recession and let's put our best face.

• Anonymous
    June 6, 2008 8:25 a.m.

I don't know where they get that the average income in Utah household is in the $90,000 plus range. And where do they get the 10 percent increase in family income? There is no way that even when we were earning higher incomes we were even close to those numbers. As a couple, my husband and I have cut down to one car, cut down on our driving, purchased a motor bike and are looking into purchasing bicycles as transportation around town - and still, the prices of gas are rising anywhere from 20 to 50 cents per gallon a week! Once upon a time I felt a freedom in this country - it's now going into the pockets of others...

• Budget Bob
    June 6, 2008 8:25 a.m.

One hundred and seventy bucks eats the entire discretionary budget?
    These folks need to make some serious adjustment elsewhere.

• Re Anonymous:
    June 6, 2008 8:24 a.m.

I live in Eagle Mountain (the Ranches) and it takes only 15-20 minutes for me to get to work. By the way, on average it takes me about 40 minutes to get to downtown SLC or the airport and about 40 minutes to get to Provo. I'm not sure where you are coming up with your 1 hour commute time figure. People try to make it seem that EM/Saratoga Springs and Herriman are somewhere on the moon, when in reality they are advantageously positioned to the up and coming hub of the Wasatch Front--South SL County/North Utah County. To me, the people who live out in Provo or Ogden and commute to Salt Lake and back have just as long of commute times, so I'm not sure why you left them out. By the way, gas prices would have to hit at least $8.00-10.00 a gallon before it started putting any kind of stress on my discretionary income since I didn't get mired in extreme debt like so many people have done (which is the real problem). The only effect I'm having is not being able to save quite as much per month.

• BBKing
    June 6, 2008 8:05 a.m.

Some points to consider.

First, no American oil firm breaks the top ten largest oil firms in the world. The largest US firm is only the 14th largest in the world. Bottom line, they are the small players on the worlds markets.

As for record profits, true but put that into proper perspective. Look at their percentage of profit. The $15billion in profit represents less than 10% of their revenue. That means that they also have over $100billion+ in overhead. If their profit margin relative to their cost of doing business was the same as Microsoft or other businesses they would be reporting profits over $50billion. They are making money but no where near as profitable as the enviros tell you.

Also, consider this wacky world the Democrats have created. They are so violantly opposed to American oil that they have shut down drilling off our coasts. In so doing they have shut American oil down from the Florida coast. So now a Chinese oil firm has started drilling and pumping oil 50 miles off the coast of Florida.

So Communist Chinese can do it. American's can't. This is the Democratic party for you. Blatantly supporting the the other side.

• Pam
    June 6, 2008 8:02 a.m.

It's not just the cost of gas that's hurting the American people. It's the cost of everything: food, electric, fuel, healthcare, etc. How can a family budget for the unknown? The record profits of the oil companies. The CEO's of healthcare bonuses. The electric company profits in our state is beyond absurd. We only have one company and our elected officials allowed them a 59% increase. Oh, and they are charging us a $100 a month to "find" alternative electric sources. We're being held hostage by our elected politicians who promise everything and deliver nothing ~ to us. They line their pockets with special interest group's money and lie to us in the same breath. I wonder if we can have a modern day Boston Tea Harbor protest?

• IRAQ WAR=high gas prices
    June 6, 2008 7:58 a.m.

Some people just can't get themselves to blame their wonderful GOP for anything. The reality is that the IRAQ war caused most of this oil price rise and GW Bush brought us the IRAQ war. Pretty simple to see but hard for most Utah Republican's to accept. Ever since the IRAQ war started and the middle east was thrown into turmoil the price of oil has been on a steady rise. This insane war that Bush brought us has crippled our economy as well as killed nearly 5000 of our young men. Unlike some wars that actually boost an economy, the Iraq war is a HUGE drain on the US economy in so many ways. We are paying out of our own pockets for the mind boggling cost to keep this ugly thing going and their is no end in site. McCain wants to stay in Iraq for 100 years if need be. The US MUST get away from oil dependence and do it FAST otherwise our economy could be thrown into another DEEP recession or even depression.

• The solution
    June 6, 2008 7:56 a.m.

Try walking...its free

• Let's all blame the dems
    June 6, 2008 7:44 a.m.

hey.. don't bash the democrats while the Bush family is making record oil profits over all of this. George won't do anything. I wonder why?

• $4 a gal is just the beginning
    June 6, 2008 7:42 a.m.

Hah,you think $4 a gal is bad, wait till it hits $5 or $6 a gallon. That day is probably less than 1 year away. All this time Exxon and Mobile and the other fat cats are getting filthy rich on absurd profits and our government sets on its hands and does nothing. The other absurd thing I see is all these young families driving these HUGE SUV's around. I heard one guy talking that owns a Chev Suburban say it cost him $180 to fill it up. That is $100 more than it cost him 2 years ago. It's so cool and stylish to drive a fancy Chev Yukon or some other SUV around until you have to put gas in the thing. Most SUV's only get an average of 14-18 mpg. All these hip young soccer moms driving their BIG shiny SUV around with their sun glasses and cell phone. Not so cool anymore.

• Dave
    June 6, 2008 7:40 a.m.

Blame Bush? He has advocated opening up anwar and the gulf for more oil production,but was thwarted by the dems and NE republicans. Gas was 2;20 a gal. when the dems took control of congress. Is it their fault? Untill we recognize the reasons and elect politician who will take the right action ( Utah already does) it is just going to tget worse.

• Mark B.
    June 6, 2008 7:40 a.m.

Suckers! I haven't owned a car for over two years, and I'm laughing at you folks all the way to the bank.

• Hang On
    June 6, 2008 7:38 a.m.

We have been BUSH-WACKED. This president and Cheney along with their appointed department heads have made the energy situation much worse than it should be. This was going to happen over time anyway, but this administration escalated the issue for personal gain. Just look at these two top officials and check their past involvments with the oil industry. Both have been on boards and investors in the oil business their whole lives. Do you really think they haven't been stuffing their portfolios? This is criminal. Who you going to vote for this time Utah?

• Housing Market
    June 6, 2008 7:31 a.m.

Perhaps consider purchasing a smaller home, or one of those in the lesser desirable neighborhoods...

Unfortunately, our appetite for posh houses is just as insatiable as our appetite to drive 36,000 miles a year.

• Bob G
    June 6, 2008 7:26 a.m.

What's so funny is that every one talks and tells us how much import oil we are using, but no one yet has to offer any information about how much U.S. oil is being exported out of the U.S. by big oil companies. Big oil companies drill and process our domestic oil for much less than what imported oil costs yet they are given full authorization to export our cheaper oil, for criminal profit, and buy and pass on the costs of imported oil to consumers and american businesses. Japan gets the majority of oil from Alaska at going market rates while we americans are forced to accept more costly imported oil. I'm sure the oil produced in the Gulf meets the same kind of treatment as the Alaskan oil. Big oil has monopolized the oil industry to best profit and the money figures have proven it. If any industry needs controls on monopoly, this is the one. But stepping on the feet of oil companies is also stepping on the feet of the Bush cartell. This country needs leadership that will stop the corruption and manipulation of the economy, Ron Paul is the only one willing to do it.

• PREDATOR
    June 6, 2008 7:15 a.m.

WE KEEP RE-ELECTING OUR GREAT LEADER'S
    WHO PROMISE TO DO SOMETHING WHILE BACK IN WASHINGTON
    BUT IT NEVER HAPPEN'S , THEY ONLY MAKE MORE MONEY FOR THEM SELVES

• Robert H
    June 6, 2008 7:08 a.m.

Well, how about the day before the Democrats took office in 2006 the price of a gallon of gas was $2.60. This is the real problem.

The War in Iraq drove the prices up $1.00/gallon over the course of 6 years. Democrats have driven the price up $1.40/gallon in just a year and a half.

Why is this you ask? Oil speculation.

People are basically gambling on what the price of oil will be in the future. It takes into consideration everything. With Democrats in control speculators aren't stupid. They know that the party that outlawed the lightbulb as one of their first actions (Democrats outlawed the incandecent lightbulb as one of their first actions after they took control in 2006) are going to declare war on the automobile, oil, everything. They know that with Democrats in control the chance of oil coming down will never happen.

Take the extreme bill that the Senate Democrats were trying to pass. Experts are predicting that it would drive up gas to between $8-10/gallon!

If you want to ruin your family budget with skyhigh energy costs, vote extreme environmentalist. Vote Democrat.

Matheson needs to be booted just for caucusing with them.

• St. George
    June 6, 2008 7:05 a.m.

Affordable Sustainable Oil is a thing of the past---- Time to move on to something better.

Only vote for those who pledge to end the Oil Based Economy

• Michael
    June 6, 2008 6:58 a.m.

Why is it that people blame the sitting president for every problem? Bush has nothing to do with fuel prices. Gas prices are only going up from here. You will think that $4.00/ gal. is cheap 1-2 years from now with a new administration.

• liberal larry
    June 6, 2008 6:44 a.m.

John is correct. The era of cheap energy is over. We are not out of oil, just inexpensive, easily recoverable oil.

• More Bad News.......
    June 6, 2008 6:30 a.m.

"An extra $170/month is exceeding people's savings and discretionary income." That is such a sad statement and certainly doesn't mean good things for the housing market, or Utah's economy in general, in the coming months.

• re: Anonymous 12:16am
    June 6, 2008 5:32 a.m.

I don't think that's a solution to this problem. A person can't just "move closer to their work". Especially since it's so hard to sale and house let alone start all over again. Now days people are very lucky to have a job that pays well. So no solution in that logic.

I wonder if anyone can solve this problem that Bush started. I would wait in a line for hours to be able to get gas for 1.50 as Ignorance stated in his post at 12:14am.

• Need More Bus Options
    June 6, 2008 5:04 a.m.

My family is paying out a lot more for gas because my husband commutes 60 miles roundtrip to work in Orem.

We've considered moving back to Orem, but the housing prices are so expensive! A house is for sale right now on the street we once lived on, but the price of that house is more than double what we paid for our Orem house several years ago, and it's the same price we paid for the house we bought in Santaquin in 2001. So we are choosing to stay in our Santaquin house which is a nicer home and has an acre of land.

A better solution for us would be if there were more options for buses. We have no bus service in Santaquin yet so my husband uses the park-n-ride and catches a bus in Payson when the bus schedule coincides with his work schedule. It would be great if there were more frequent routes available to choose from.

• John
    June 6, 2008 1:30 a.m.

Cheap gas isn't coming back. This isn't something that the politicians can fix, either. The simple fact is that the world is running out of oil. (Google "peak oil" if you want to know more about it.) High gas prices are here to stay, and people need to change their lifestyle to mitigate the effects of the extra costs.

• So.....
    June 6, 2008 12:20 a.m.

What's the solution?

• Anonymous
    June 6, 2008 12:16 a.m.

Solution....

Move CLOSER to where you work!

I fell sorry for all those people in Herriman and Eagle mountain that thought they were getting such a good deal on their home but are now paying hundreds extra in gas.

They would be saving money if they would have paid more for a house closer to work.

They would also have a lot less stress of driving for an hour every day to work. Time that could be spent with the family.

We need to get out of the "commuter" life style and seriously look at where we are living.

• Ignorance
    June 6, 2008 12:14 a.m.

Those who are ignorant say things like 'drilling problems and costs'

That has nothing to do with it. Exxon Mobil has been having RECORD profits every year now.

What is Bush doing to stop price gouging? Washington D.C. couldn't care less.

A month before Bush's initial inauguration the average price of gas was just under $1.50. I would take that in a heartbeat.

Vote Nader