Band members get rain on their parade, hold fundraisers for new instruments

Jim Brickman slated to perform June 7 for event

• Tenor Player
    Dec. 13, 2008 7:46 p.m.

i am transfering to timpview next year, and currently i play tenors for the drumline in springville-- and i keep reading comments along the lines of "oh the students should pay for their own instruments". and let me just tell you, if you are in the drumline (which is a fairly large chunk of the band) you cannot just go out and buy your own set of tenors (or a snare, or a bass) and use them in the band. all of the drums have to be the SAME!! and to replace all of those, its like 10,000 dollars. so you can be quiet if you think any kid can pay that much.

• Michelle
    June 26, 2008 8:27 a.m.

I play soccer at Timpview High, and just in case anyone was wondering we pay big money for the things at timpview. For example, we are still trying to pay off the turf we have. And that's the same with the football. It may appear Timpview's got all the money in the world, but just like any other school, we've got to do plenty of fundraisers. All i'm trying to say is everyone and anyone can help support.

• Bass (not the fish)
    June 10, 2008 7:41 p.m.

From some of the aforesaid comments from actual (or former) band members, I think that the excuse that the students need to do more is not a sufficient one. I used to be in a high school band and I bought my own instrument, but for many of my friends there was no such option (how would you like being stuck with a sousaphone in your basement?). The students have clearly done enough, let the community chip in.

• Timpview Trombone
    June 10, 2008 5:40 p.m.

Lots of negativity here but let me add my two bits. By the by, I bought my trombone myself.

I've been working two jobs for several months and finally got off of one two weeks ago. Finding decent jobs at fifteen years of age isn't too easy. Anywho I've spent my entire day today after band (got off at 9:30) jogging and biking through the Provo/Orem area. 7 miles of jogging, 21 miles of biking, all the time stopping people at lights and houses and asking them if they had their tickets to the Summer Concert Series, I figure I've sold at least two dozen tickets to Kalai.

In the half year I've lived here (moved to Provo in January) we've had five fundraisers for band. I just ask you to help us raise money for our big instruments. Have you ever had a leaky gas tank? You fill it up but it drains out and you can't make it too far. That's why we have to deal with. Ever tried to fly a plane with a bent slat (that's the thing that helps provide lift)? You get up but you crash down. Think about it!No more room to post.

• Spinoza
    June 9, 2008 7:58 p.m.

"What else are the students doing to earn money?"

As a member of the Timpview band I will assure you that we do fund raiser after fund raiser throughout the year. Most of those who live by me know to expect little donation-hunting squads from Timpview's Band every few months. To be quite honest, we've asked so many people so much to donate to the band that it is hardly fair to ask any more of them. If ANYONE out there wants to help, just spread the word. TELL PEOPLE about the concerts. Many people want to go, but we just can't spread the word to everybody alone. The Timpview band doesn't know all of Utah County. We can only do so much.

• Anonymous
    June 8, 2008 4:26 p.m.

Colorguard Gal says that "stepping up" is ridiculous and that incredible musicians need quality instruments. What ever happened to their initiative to get their own quality instruments?

I applaud the parents holding fund raisers - keep at it. What else are the students doing to earn money?

It sounds like the school has plenty of money - maybe it needs to be re-prioritized within the school and/or the district. If you want to fight for a piece of the pie that would be a good place to belly up to the trough.

By the way - new beginner instruments often cost more than good quality used ones. Regardless, A serious student learns how to make an instrument sing. That's part of the learning process.

• Colorguard Gal
    June 8, 2008 3:09 p.m.

As a member of the Timpview Colorguard, which is included in the marching band, I think some of these comments are absolutely ridiculous. Telling parents and students to "step up" and buy instruments only proves the ignorance of the people visiting this site. Timpview Band has had many fundraisers, but the community doesn't help us much. Also, people saying that we only need cheap, beginner instruments have no idea what they are talking about. Several students are incredible musicians, and they need quality instruments. There seems to be plenty of money in the community to re-turf the football field two or three times in the past few years, and yet the performing arts must BEG to recieve any funds at all. As a member, I must put in my two cents of asking for help: PLEASE help us sound as good as our musicians really are!

• Bill
    June 7, 2008 6:49 p.m.

Band needs help referred to, "...$6,000 tuba...$4,000 euphonium..."
    A Former Band Mom said, "For instance the school needs 6 Sousaphones. They cost $10K each."

Those a interesting comments. In Jr. High a friend of mine played a new school oboe. It cost about $1000 in the 60s. As he walked home he repeatedly threw it 20 feet in the air and caught it (most of the time). If parents want students to have expensive instruments they should buy them for their students. Otherwise the school should buy good quality, used instruments.

There are excellent instruments available via eBay and pawnshops - often they are professional grade instruments:

tuba - eBay $500
    euphonium - eBay $300
    timpani - eBay $500-$1000

Student musicians should make due with what they have until they or their parents decide to step up.

• To Carson
    June 5, 2008 3:33 p.m.

I think it was called SARCASM

"Why, when I was a kid we made our own instruments out of soup cans and string. We didn't need no concerts or high fallutin fundraisers. People knew how to work then. The kids of today have everything handed to them. Not like when I was a kid."

• Carson
    June 5, 2008 2:27 p.m.

Ignorant comments such as these demonstrate why the state of Utah continues to rank among the worst for support for arts education in the schools. KIDS TODAY HAVE A RIGHT TO A QUALITY K-12 MUSIC EDUCATION, as outlined by the National Association for Music Education. There are more options in life than pressed white shirts and going to school for business.

"This school sits in the middle of an area with a lot of very wealthy people."

SES has nothing to do with this. Certain instruments need to be purchased by the school, as they are too expensive for students. Schools have to take responsibility for funding these programs. A "contribution" on their part won't cut it.

"Band is an American tradition that is dying."

Bands, choirs, and orchestras are alive and well in schools and communities across America that recognize the importance of arts education. Many here can't be bothered.

• Musicman
    June 5, 2008 2:05 p.m.

I concur with many of the comments made. When I started on Trombone - we rented to buy. Most all the musicians either rented or purchased instruments. Not top of the line superfancy ones, just basic student-grade starters. Granted this can still require a couple-hundred bucks. When I moved to Tuba I purchased my own mouthpiece, and used a school tuba. The school loaned me one to use at home for practice. Lugging a Sousaphone to and from school - not real practical. Same goes to timpani and other big instruments. BUT if a musician is getting serious at all they will WANT their own instrument. No wind instrument can be safely shared with others. They are full of spit and use mouthpieces. Not the same for strings and drums.

I also agree - take some money away from the football and share it around! Teach young people to be creative and constructive instead of arrogant and aggressive. Do we need more creative thinkers, or bullys. Hmmm.

It's a great shame that music programs are being cut and shorted all over. LOTS of benefits!

• A Former Band Mom
    June 5, 2008 1:54 p.m.

Just to clarify - the instruments Timpview band needs to replace are the Large instruments that no family can afford, not the clarinets, saxaphones, trombones that families can and do easily rent. For instance the school needs 6 Sousaphones. They cost $10K each. The $250,000 needed to replace these instruments will be used to replace instruments that have benefited literally hundreds of students that have learned and grown in the Timpview Band Program through out the 20 years these instruments have been used. It's time to support this effort - buy a ticket - come to these great concerts www.timpviewband.com

• Re:Provo High Alum
    June 5, 2008 11:57 a.m.

I couldn't agree more. Take some money from football. How many uniform combos do they even have? It may not replace every instrument, but it could help.

• Former band member
    June 5, 2008 11:48 a.m.

I used to be a member of a high school band. A large portion of the band members either bought their own instrument or rented it from a music store. The instruments that were owned by the school were not taken very good care of. I'm not opposed to a high school buying instruments for the kids to use; however, the kids would take better care of them if they owned them or were renting them. It seems like an exorbitant amount of money, IMO.

• Bands Need Help
    June 5, 2008 10:19 a.m.

This problem is not just a Timpview problem. Walk into any band program in the state and their instruments are old, in disrepair, and needing replacement. Band is an American tradition that is dying.

To the last two comments: kids should not be expected to purchase a $6,000 tuba, or $4,000 euphonium, or baritone saxophone, or bass clarinet, bassoons, english horn, contra-bass clarinet, marching sousaphone, marching mellophone, marching baritone, and any number of very expensive percussion equipment. You are very naive to think schools purchase trumpets, clarinets, flutes, and trombones for students.

• Generation GAp
    June 5, 2008 9:29 a.m.

• SLC gal
    June 5, 2008 8:14 a.m.

My experience in band was that you could bring your own instrument instead of renting one through the school. There are very few instruments out there where that isn't an option (timpani anyone?).

• VHS Band Alum
    June 5, 2008 8:07 a.m.

As a band alum, I know that not all the parents are the ones driving BMW's, Mercedes, or Hummers. Most of us that were in band worked hard to pay the fees. Yes the community needs to be fair, if they help the football team, or cheerleaders or whoever, they should also help the band. But the likelyhood of that happening is slim to none.
    Good job to the band president and some of the parents! Working hard to try to get some money will teach the kids in the band more than just getting the money handed to them would. These concerts will require a lot of work from the band to make sure everything is right. And the hard work and effort that the band has already displayed, in winning so many awards, will help them in earning all the money they need.
    Way to go, Timpview High Band!

• Debbie
    June 5, 2008 7:24 a.m.

This school sits in the middle of an area with a lot of very wealthy people. They own BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus' and Hummers, They vacation all over the world. You'd think the residents there could pony up some money for the schools' instruments, an investment that many students will benefit from for many years, especially for an award winning band. Come on people, give up your luxury vacations and donate to a much worthier cause.

• Provo High Alum
    June 5, 2008 7:05 a.m.

The band should take some money from the football program. Timpview has enough parent peddlers to do whatever they want. Remember your cheers at basketball games when Provo would blow you out? "That's all right that's OK you will work for us someday!" Well go to work and get your band funded!