Utah Jazz: Team gets a closer look at Roy Hibbert

• adam d
    June 11, 2008 1:22 p.m.

Here we go again.....

Yeah lets get Hibbert. He will make a huge impact with his 5 min per game garbage time. I think Fesenko is quicker and more athletic than Hibbert. At best they are very similar players, so why waste a draft pick for redundency?

Any way this is all beside the point. We dont need a defensive center who only plays 5 minutes a game behind Okur. We need Defense for the MAJORITY of the game. We need to trade Boozer.

Have the last two playoff's not taught us anything? First Duncan gos nuts on boozer's D and this year Odom and Gasol are having a hay day with Boozer/okur. You cant blame the guy, he is listed at 6-9 but everybody knows he is really 6-8. But hey have him defend quicker near 7 footers in the play offs. Is anyone surprised we lost? Am I the only sane person on the planet? If we want a miniaturized Malone--PLAY MILSAP he is much cheaper.

Of course the jazz will not trade Boozer so draft
    a PF that

1 is 6-10 or taller
    2 can play D (quick)
    3 capable of 15 pts 10 reb a game

• looktothesky
    June 4, 2008 10:42 p.m.

I am so glad some of you people saw hibbert play, he is to slow and lazy i agree. I just ask if someone would just check out jason thompson from rider, much like almond from rice. But much bigger, also from an unknown school, this guy has serious game. He averaged on his senior year 20.4 pts per game, he also grabbed 12 rebounds a game, blocked an average of 2.7 blocks, and had 1.1 steals per game. If we had any guts on draft day we would draft this guy. He is a 6-11, 250 pounds, just like paul millsap i think he is the sleeper of the late first round draft, even though paul was drafted in the second round. Please draft him jazz, and two years from now, we may have another amare stoudamire.

• French Connection
    June 4, 2008 10:29 p.m.

Lets keep it international Nicolas Batum 6-8 210 SG France 1988 would be a great pick, I'm not sold on Hibbert. Jazz need an athletic shot blocker, not a slow footed big big to clog the lane. Fess looks like he has the potential to fill that position and plays with alot of energy. If we could get Prince that would be great, but I doubt that Detroit is willing to give up there best all around player/defender. Drafting Plaisted in the second round would be a move Larry H. would love, so I'm scared it might happen. He has one move and decent athleticism, basically Hoffa minus the strength and aggression. Def not NBA worthy.

• re:Dreamers
    June 4, 2008 9:47 p.m.

Never will happen.

If KOBE wanted it that way, David Stern would have already done it.

That's the way it works in the NBA nowadays.

Prediction?

Lakers in 6.

Milk it out for the money, but the refs make a call here or there at the pivotal moments in the games to give Kobe his trophy and Stern laughs all the way to the bank on the NBA fans dime...

• bob carlisle
    June 4, 2008 9:12 p.m.

hibbert will be a good pick, also keep eyes on jaycee carroll out of usu as a free agent. if he can spend a few years with the flash, he can help in the back court in a few years. hoffa was a great player i would rather have him on the roster then hart or collins anyday.

• Now what?
    June 4, 2008 9:12 p.m.

I think people are way too hard on Trent. He knows BYU will underperform in the NCAA Tournament next year. He knows he will be ridiculed for being the main part of that failure. Why go through all that. Why not take a chance on the NBA or Europe? It sure beats being a whipping boy for frustrated fans.

Also, I understand his footwork will be of great benefit on payday in Euro ball etc.. One player has described payday as being met in the local square with a paper bag filled with money. Upon receiving that money, the player then has to make it to some safe place before he is mugged by the teams leg breakers.

I know this will probably never happen to Trent. But just to be safe, keeping working on that foot speed and those moves.

• dhatchpittsburgh
    June 4, 2008 6:52 p.m.

The problem with the Jazz this year was Brewer and Kirilenko playing at the same time. Teams could clog the middle and you saw Boozer struggle. Just humor me for a minute and picture this lineup. Williams, Korver (still start Brewer but split time with Korver), Prince, Boozer, Okur. How could you guard that?! 4 great shooters and Boozer. He'd be back to his 20pt 10rbds a game. Prince (2nd team All NBA Defensive team) would be able to shut down the 2-guards that regulary put up 50+ against the Jazz and is a great scorer that seems to have that killer instinct that makes Williams so great and Kirilenko so tough to watch. I know its improbable and I don't know how it would work with salary caps and contracts but Dumars did say he was open for dealing his players. Prince would be a perfect addition making the team Sir Charles says is "top to bottom, the most talented team in the NBA" even better.

• dhatchpittsburgh
    June 4, 2008 6:43 p.m.

Thank you "we DO NOT want Hibbert". I was excited to watch Hibbert play live but could not believe how slow and, from what i saw, lazy he was. He was dominated by a 6'7" freshman in Dejuan Blair, how is he going to be effective in the NBA? As I said in an earlier post before this article was polluted with all the Plaisted talk, Hibbert will never amount to more than a Jarron Collins. The Jazz should trade the first round pick and Kirilenko for Tayshaun Prince.

• HIbbert
    June 4, 2008 6:43 p.m.

I am not a big fan of Hibbert myself, but I think some of the comparisons being made to the likes Mark Eaton should stop. Hibbert is nothing like Eaton other than being over seven feet tall. Hibbert's not the shot blocker Eaton was (though he did average 2 a game last year), but he has some athletic grace that Eaton never possessed.

He's a great passer with some nice moves around the basket. He's even got a nice looking jump shot that will admittedly need to be worked on in order to be consistent. He does seem slow, but how much of that dealt with the "princeton" offense he was subjected to in college? Overall, you could do a lot worse with a late first round pick. Unless an above average PG falls in the draft (D.J. Augustin) to become D-Will's eventual backup, then Hibbert fits the next biggest need.

• Bruss
    June 4, 2008 6:33 p.m.

There is a video of Jazz GM kevin OConnor and GTown Center Roy Hibbert at 1280 The Zone dot com, good stuff. Can't post the link here, but you should check it out.

• Dreamers...
    June 4, 2008 6:21 p.m.

What are you lousy Jass fans going to do when D-will signs a free agent contract with the Lakers?

• we DO NOT want Hibbert
    June 4, 2008 5:26 p.m.

I am a diehard Jazz fan, utah native currently attending Georgetown. I have seen every hoya game the last 2 years- trust me, hibbert is 10 times softer than collins, the guy is weak, soft,and lazy.

• I agree with dhatchpittsburgh
    June 4, 2008 5:22 p.m.

Normally, I think "trade scenario" posts are nutty and do not make sense. But I liked the post from dhatchpittsburgh, especially since Joe Dumars recently said he is breaking apart the Pistons and they are "open for business" as far as trades are concerned.

• kchoya
    June 4, 2008 4:32 p.m.

Hibbert is lazy? Based on what? Just because he's 7'2" 275 and isn't as quick as D-will doesn't mean he's lazy. It could be argued he's worked harder than any other college player in the country to develop and improve his game. This is a kid (remember he's only 21, which is young for a 4-year college player) who could barely run the floor when he got to college.

Sure he gets a lot of garbage baskets, but he also has a great post game - hook shots with either hand, a good jumper and can put the ball on the floor. You ask how be might do against Shaq or Yao? Well, he outplayed Greg Oden in the final four last year. And he killed that stiff from Pitt, Aaron Gray. Utah would be lucky if Hibbert falls to them.

• HIBBERT
    June 4, 2008 4:30 p.m.

THE FACT THAT EVERYONE HAS ME GOING TO THE JAZZ MEANS THAT I WON'T. WE DON'T NEED BIG AND SLOW. THE LAKERS SHOWED US THAT. WE NEED SIZE AND SPEED i SAY TAKE A CHANCE ON HARDIN OVER SLOW PLODDERS.

• Re: there is still hope
    June 4, 2008 4:25 p.m.

I personally love your trade, but I don't think Miami would bite. Boozer is a really good player but he will either leave or we will have to pay him too much. And the Utah system is responsible for upping Boozer's numbers a little bit so I would not be afraid of grabbing a big man with a lower scoring average. Another problem is that Okafor can't be traded until he signs a new contract, which I believe cannot happen until after the draft.

• julie kowallis
    June 4, 2008 4:13 p.m.

Is Utah State JC Carroll going Rocky Mountain Revue. He was All American and Had the Highest Percentage in 3 pointers

• There is still hope
    June 4, 2008 4:01 p.m.

There is nothing in the draft that will help the Jazz right now, and thats what every comment has eluded to. Hibbert would be a servicable backup, however he would be taken the place of Collins (which i wouldn't mind seeing go) and how much did we see Collins play this year? Hibbert would only play garbage minutes. Besides, Fez should develope into a much better player than Hibbert will ever be. He just needs another season or 2 under his belt.
    As for winning now, the best scenerio would be trade. Now before anyone destroys me for making this trade, hear me out. I beleive D-Will is so good, he can make just about anyone around him better. Therefore, the Jazz create a 3 team trade with Miami and Charlotte;

Miami - Boozer
    Charlotte - Udonis Haslem and Miami's #2 pick
    Jazz - Emeka Okafor and Charlottes #10 pick

Between the greatness of D-Will and Sloans offense, Okafor could easily produce. And now the Jazz have someone that actually plays defense and a lottery pick to play with. A lot could be said for the Jazz's 2 picks if they want to deal some more.

• Hibbert a Jazzman
    June 4, 2008 4:00 p.m.

Roy Hibbert was predicted to be the best player in the country at the beginning of the college year. I would love to be able to pick him up and he reminds me of who other than Mark Eaton, one of the all time best true centers. We are more than fortunate that he had an off senior season. Now its up to O'Connor , Get'er done.

• AWESOMO 4000
    June 4, 2008 3:28 p.m.

I don't know where he is projected to go, but I think Kevin Love is a nice player and would fit in real well with the Jazz. He is big, plays good D, has good post moves, and can shoot. From what I've seen he'll probably be a top 10 pick though. The Jazz will have two first round picks in 2010; maybe we could trade one of them and package another player or two to move up and get someone like Love.

• ?
    June 4, 2008 3:23 p.m.

Can you say Greg Kite? He made a nice living in the pros bringing his six fouls to the table every game. And what about that 7 foot stiff from CSU? He's on a roster collecting a check. Don't underestimate the need for big non offensive practice players. Almost every team has them and needs them so he's gotta shot. I wish him well

• Plaisted
    June 4, 2008 3:21 p.m.

So he will make money because he's 7'2"???

Just like Shawn. A ton of money for being tall.

Write about someone who has accomplished something.

• wow
    June 4, 2008 3:16 p.m.

that was the most redicilous comment i've ever read

• Re: HOFFA
    June 4, 2008 3:02 p.m.

That was awesome. Thanks for making me laugh.

• Crazy
    June 4, 2008 2:58 p.m.

It's interesting to read the comments that have been made. I thought this article was about drafting Hibbert, not Plaisted. As a former coach and the little bit I've seen Hibbert on T.V., he is big, but slow and gets garbage shots around the basket. The Jazz are in good condition with their current roster, and their picks from last year, Almond and Fesenko will contribute eventually, maybe as soon as next year. They just need time. As for Plaisted, being a former athlete I'd say he moves and jumps well and that is about all. He has no shooting technique, only a flip of the wrist, no follow through. BYU will not miss him, but they would Cummard should he not withdraw from the draft.
    So much for the drafting of Hibbert. How would he do against Yao Ming, or Shak? Could he stop Odom of the Lakers driving to the basket? Is he a shot blocker or just a big body for Bryant or Parker to dribble around on their way to scoring?

• TO HOFFA
    June 4, 2008 2:57 p.m.

Are you joking? You must be.

If you are serious, name one NBA team that has 4 players on their roster that played college ball at the same school and is in the same state as that pro franchise. The reason there are none is that the coaching and scouting staff actually watch ALL college players with potential rather than just what they see on local TV, like you. Good local talent, especially here in Utah, does not equate to good NBA talent (read: Hoffa). It's great to be a home fan but get real and your comments might get some respect from the rest of us.

Additionally, to say that Hoffa is quicker than Memo on the defensive end of the floor (where the Jazz have a weakness) is laughable. I can't even comment about Travis Hansen so again I ask: Are you joking? You are aren't you. Please say yes.

• Jimmy Z
    June 4, 2008 2:47 p.m.

GET A NEW COACH and then we have start. Sloan needs
    to hang it up....he is just there for the money

• HOFFA
    June 4, 2008 2:19 p.m.

If the Jazz really want to make the NBA Finals, they need to make a full commitment to the Cougars. The day they let go Hoffa was the day they did not have enough firepower to return to the Western Conference Finals. They need to get him back and let Memo go. Memo is too slow. Then they need to cut ties with Collins and go after Plaisted with everything they have. Then in Round 2, they can beef up their backcourt defense by dropping Jason Hart and adding a certain Mountain West Co-Player of the Year from BYU named LEE CUMMARD. If they can get Travis Hansen back in the States and get Ainge to coach the team, D-Will is gonna have everything he needs to DOMINATE.

• More Money?
    June 4, 2008 2:11 p.m.

I love how everyone who defends Plaisted keeps saying that he will "make more money than anyone on this post." So I guess pro basketball in another country is the only way to make good money these days. Dang, I should go try out. He isn't a good basketball player but he will make more money than you! Ha! So there!

Please

• No No No
    June 4, 2008 1:55 p.m.

Plaisted has zero chance of making it to even fall camp. Save your time Jazz.

• Don't trade Memo
    June 4, 2008 1:23 p.m.

Big D, I don't think we need to trade Memo. His defense isn't great but his three point abilities stretch the other teams defense. We just need a good defensive backup at center for a change of pace and to keep Memo fresher.

• Defensive Center
    June 4, 2008 1:15 p.m.

The Jazz need to identify the best defensive center in this draft and go get him. The Jazz really only need one player and so they should package their second round picks and possibly players to go up and get the player they want.

IMO, that could be Hibbert. I think that he is too slow a foot. I think that Robin Lopez would be my choice. Athletic and strong on the defensive end. McGee, Ajinca, Thompson and Hardin are other possibilities.

I think that the Jazz need to keep Boozer, Okur and Kirilenko. I would like to see them pickup someone who can contribute 20 minutes per game right away and play along side either Boozer or Okur. Okur should play at the PF at times.

I would also like to see the Jazz relieve the logjam at the 3 spot. AK, Harpring, Miles and Korver are all 3s. I think that we try and trade Harpring, Hart and Collins. Obviously easier said than done, but for salary cap reasons some team might take them.

Also, using a second round pick on a young Euro would be wise. Let him develop there for a few years.

• Jake
    June 4, 2008 1:09 p.m.

I am a BYU fan, but I didn't want Trent Plaisted to come back to Provo. I've never seen him face up and take a jump-shot, he can't hit free-throws, he shoots his hook shot from his hip, and he gets called for traveling twice each game.
    He's supposed to alter and block shots in the middle, but Lee Cummard had just as many blocks/game as Trent, and Lee is 4" shorter.
    That said, I hope Trent can get drafted somewhere in the second round; if not, he'll have a fun time in Europe. I'm just glad that he's not coming back to BYU.

• luckylyman77
    June 4, 2008 12:46 p.m.

The Jazz already have enough young talent that needs to grow and be developed. I say trade this year's picks. Give Fes and Almond a chance. And teach Boozer how to play defense.

• Big D
    June 4, 2008 12:43 p.m.

The jazz need to bring in a center who can play some defense. It's time to package Okur and a pick for someone who will have some intimidating presence in the paint. The jazz won't go to the finals and win a title until either Boozer AND Okur decide to play defense for 48 minutes or we trade for someone who's going to play rough Sloan-ball in the middle. The jazz need to get it now, not wait for a pick to "develope". Nobody should be safe from being traded except for Williams, especially Andrei and Memo.

• What???
    June 4, 2008 11:17 a.m.

@ adrian 10:30a.m.-

Do we not already have a log jam at the 2?
    Isn't Almond a solid scorer? (He did lead the D-league in scoring.)

How do you suggest we pick up OJ Mayo at the 23rd spot?

• Anonymous
    June 4, 2008 11:15 a.m.

No one is saying Trent Plaisted is stupid or that he won't make more money than those posting on here. But frankly, no one wants him to play for the Jazz, who despite having done well in the last few drafts, do tend to make some mistakes (Kirk Snyder, Kris Humphries). Good for Trent to have is degree and blah blah blah, but please, he should not be playing for the Jazz and probably not be in the NBA.

• Rich $
    June 4, 2008 11:04 a.m.

Trent Plaisted? Are you kidding. I wish the Jazz didn't have to bother working out a guy who shouldn't even be in the pros because he is a local "hero". RB would be a vast improvement to Collins and Fes is not ready yet. Even if he is a little thick and "lazy" it's not like we're asking him to go 35 minutes a night.

• RE: Ridiculous-Plaisted
    June 4, 2008 10:59 a.m.

Trent used a redshirt year and has enough credits to graduate, in reality he is not leaving early.
    I think this is the right time for him to leave BYU. College players get hammered if they stay all 4 years at school, because if they were really good they would have left early. Thats why Hibbert (at 7 2) will still be around when the Jazz draft, because if he was a true NBA talent he would not be around after the first 10 picks. So if Trent stays for five years and still doesn't dominate his position for yet another year, than he may never make the NBA.

• basketball
    June 4, 2008 10:50 a.m.

Many of you, whether you are BYU fans or Utah fans, don't understand the realities of pro basketball today. There is MUCH more than the NBA. Some have correctly observed that he will probably play overseas and make lots of money. When Trent opted to enter the NBA draft, he opened up the door for a possible NBA career, or a more probable foreign career. If his only option were a hope to go to the NBA, I would agree that he might be unrealistic, but I'm sure he realizes that even if the NBA doesn't call his name, he'll be making good money somewhere else so he can support his family. I think most people writing these dumb comments would be delighted to have Trent's options and opportunities.

• Anonymous
    June 4, 2008 10:45 a.m.

Please! You think someone is delusional if they think it was good for Trent to go to the NBA? Projected by some to be the last pick in the first round or an early second round pick. He goes into the NBA where he has better coaching, training, and will get paid. He will develop a lot more over the next year with an NBA franchise than with a college program. Think about it!

Please dont be calling me delusional.

• AWESOMO 4000
    June 4, 2008 10:44 a.m.

There is always a need for shooters in the NBA. That, in my opinion, is what gives Jonnie Bryant a good chance to play in the NBA. The main thing Korver brought the Jazz was the ability to make free throws in the final minute of close games. Bryant is a 90+% foul shooter.

I'm a Ute fan and am glad Plaisted is entering the draft. BYU should have a tough time with Nevill this year. Plaisted's decision wasn't a bad one. Whether he'll be playing in the US or Europe, he'll be making more than all of the posters on here. Furthermore, hell have his degree.

The biggest problem with coming out this year is it is a really strong and deep draft.

• Sokel
    June 4, 2008 10:41 a.m.

We would be crazy to pass up Hibbert. In November,
    some mock drafts had him selected at number 5 in the
    draft. I just hope they get that one shot blocker,
    as the Mavericks had before he was traded to New Jersey...Can't remember his name...Hopefully someone
    more talented that our lad Greg Ostertag.

• Know what your talking about
    June 4, 2008 10:34 a.m.

To Ridculous-Plaisted, you might want to know what you are talking about before pittying a young man who is going to make millions over the space of a few years whether he plays or not. He already earned his degree in Economics, in 3 years! He graduated and was smart enough to realize he hadn't improved much over the past 3 years in college and so why wasted another year not getting paid when he wasnt going to up his draft stock. He will get in, get his money while he can, and move on from there. You can't blame him for that, it was his best option. You can only dream of the same opportunity so quit pittying him, his life is much better than yours.

• adrian
    June 4, 2008 10:33 a.m.

we need a center yes. but i think a better pick for the jazz would be to get a really good shooting guard brewer is good no question about it but, we need some that can score brewer is a d-fencive player but we need someone that can take the game over if deron williams is not in the game, like o.j. mayo he would be a solid pick up for offense

• embarrassed BYU fan
    June 4, 2008 10:16 a.m.

I am embarrassed to be a BYU fan today because of all these delusional Cougar fans that think it is a great idea for Trent to go pro. He wasn't even the best player on a team that ran through a mediocre MWC and flopped in the NCAA yet again (Cummard was), and he thinks he can make it into the NBA? If he would have come back, worked on this game and his free-throws, maybe he would be able to make it. I guess now, we should all wish him the best in Italy, Turkey or Siberia.
    All my fellow BYU fans, you are just as delusional as Trent is if you're defending his jump to the NBA. Find something more useful to argue about.

• BYU fans
    June 4, 2008 10:09 a.m.

Something to consider for you BYU fans. Trent Plaisted is going to have himself a nice career. Maybe not as an NBA star, but most likely in Europe, where in some places he can make almost as much money as the NBA can pay him. Despite that reality, BYU fans continue to pile on this guy for what they consider a bad decision on his part.

Truth is BYU fans, the reason it's a bad decision is because it adversely affects your prospects for next season. This has nothing to do with Plaisted, and everything to do with you, a bunch of selfish fans. Get over yorselves and let the man decide what's best for him, not for you.

• Moto X
    June 4, 2008 10:08 a.m.

re:jt facts--you make an interesting point. JJ Reddick was all over the Des news and the other paper here in town last year same time as "the player we need". Now it is Hibbert. Both NBA busts.

All people talk about is "potential" (a four letter word to coaches) with him. He is huge and can not even dominate against College kids. He will do real well in the NBA--right. There is a reason a guy that is 7'2" is projected to go at 23--he is subaverage with little upside. Everyone knows you can't teach height but he is still not even getting a sniff in the top 15??? That ought to tell you alot right there.

I am with dhatchpittsburgh--we already have Fess who has spent a year learning the Jazz system. Fess is far more athletic than Hibbert. Hibbert is known for being lazy--how do you think that will go over with Sloan?? 1st rounder salary and then living in the D-League waiting to get called up which will likely never happen.

What you see is what you get and if you have not watched him play in College then don't ask for the Jazz to draft him.

• plaisted
    June 4, 2008 10:00 a.m.

For anyone who says Plaisted should not have left early, he has actually stated that he will be graduating this year and has finished all his course work. So he could stay in Utah and play college ball - which is extremely limited to the amount of time they can play per week, or he can test himself against good talent in the D-league. Which sounds better financially?

• BYU Fan (Utah County)
    June 4, 2008 9:59 a.m.

All this tongue in cheek baloney regarding Plaisted is hogwash. He will play professionaly somewhere, so what's the U. of U. fans comments got to do with any of this? As to the subject: Hibbert, I don't feel comfortable about having an east coast big man being drafted. I don't recall the name, but I remember some of the circumstances surrounding one big man from the east coast playing for the Jazz and ending up at a truck stop in the western desert, disoriented, etc. I don't think these players fit in for Utah....as in no environment for them....as in "you play in Utah". Drafting at No. 23 is purely a crapshoot. This draft, in total is very mediocre. Big men are always intriging in the draft, but if the Georgetown center is available I suppose he could be drafted, and if things look better some other direction, he could be packaged and then go another direction. The Jazz need big bodies, who are mobile....as in can move their feet. Fesenko is a project, but as long as Kirilenko is on the roster, he is someone the Jazz need to develop.

Go Jazz!!!

• dhatchpittsburgh
    June 4, 2008 9:39 a.m.

Do not draft Hibbert. I've watched him play in person and he is amazingly slow and lazy. He is 7'2" which is intriguing but mark my words he will never amount to much more than a Jarron Collins. Take your chances with Fesenko, much more upside. Trade your first round pick and Kirilenko for Tayshaun Prince and you'll have a championship one year from now.

• Waisted Pick/Year
    June 4, 2008 9:37 a.m.

I am a Ute fan, I think plaisted has the talent to play in Europe and maybee the NBA, He should help him self out and stay one more year to up his stock. If the Jazz take him in the second it would be a waisted pick.

• To all Plaisted fans
    June 4, 2008 9:28 a.m.

I don't think anyone is actually mocking Plaisted, and if tehy are they fools. Plaisted is a great player, and has a definate pro carreer ahead of him somewhere in the world, but this is an amazing draft class and he MIGHT not be drafted when caompared to what is available, especially in terms of big men. While he did great against ranked teams he was almost non-existant against a worse than normal Utah team. He needs to develop that consistancy to become an NBA player. That is why he should have stayed in college another year.

• Panicked response
    June 4, 2008 9:19 a.m.

"come fall he will be making more money then you will see in a life time"

Wow. It's like that?

• jtfacts
    June 4, 2008 9:14 a.m.

People love to compare a person's college career with what he could do in college. How is JJ Reddick career going? I can guarantee you Hibbert will not be available come the 23rd pick. I don't have a lot of faith in the competency of NBA GM's, but a legit 7'2" center who can score and defend. He SHOULD go in the top 10.

• Sounds Good
    June 4, 2008 8:56 a.m.

Let's see, he's 7'2" not from Kansas and not named Greg Osterdud. I'm listening. Sounds good to me!

I'm not so sure about Robin Lopez. The last time we put all our eggs in a basket named Lopez (as in Raul) it didn't work out so swell for us.

• McDuck
    June 4, 2008 8:10 a.m.

Hey, I take pride in my ability to get winded on my walk to the fridge and get beatin off the dribble by 14 year olds in church ball. It elevates my soul when I put icy hot on my back as I sit on a conference call in the office under life draining flourescent lighting. Good luck to Plaisted, he'll get to play somewhere and play better than 99.**% of the people on planet earth, maybe not at the NBA level, but good enough to get paid for it. I'd rather be shooting jumpers than chewing on an office phone. As for the Jazz, Hear! Hear! To another lathargic, unmotivated 7 footer who irritates all fans with his great potential, and less than mediocre results.

• Trent Plaisted
    June 4, 2008 8:07 a.m.

I dont think Plaisted is good enough to make it in the NBA but I have seen mock drafts where he goes late in the first round to first half of second round. Even if he rides the bench his whole career, he is still going to be worth millions of dollars when he is done. I wouldnt mind being in that position.

• Re: Plaisted a first round lock
    June 4, 2008 7:54 a.m.

You can laugh and make fun of him all you want, but come fall he will be making more money then you will see in a life time playing either in the NBA or in Europe.

• The last time the jazz drafted
    June 4, 2008 7:51 a.m.

a twin from stanford they got Collins. Hopefully they won't draft Lopez. Plaisted should've stayed at Provo because now he is Moscow bound.

• What???
    June 4, 2008 7:41 a.m.

Johnnie Bryant will be lucky to have a couple year career oversea's. He is not even half as good as House and Staudmier... ---and that's not saying a lot---

• I love Hibbert
    June 4, 2008 7:29 a.m.

I hope Hibbert is around at the 23rd pick!

• Plaisted
    June 4, 2008 7:27 a.m.

I like BYU but I there is no way that Trent Plaisted is a 1st round pick. He won't be a 2nd round pick. He probably will be sign on with a team after the draft.

• James
    June 4, 2008 7:22 a.m.

I am true BYU blue but to think that Plaisted will go first round is just plain old nuts. I seriously doubt he will even get drafted. I do think he plays ball in Europe or Asia and makes some good money, which is more than most can say about professional basketball.

Plaisted has good footwork and plays well with his back to the rim but he would have been mediocre night in and night out in other conferences. He is good, just not first round good.

• GOOD PICK!!!
    June 4, 2008 7:10 a.m.

Hibbert would give the Jazz some interior defense he is a huge upgrade from Collins I think Hibbert is a great pick for the Jazz!!!

• Ridiculous-Plaisted
    June 4, 2008 6:53 a.m.

Just another case of a big tall young man with big dreams. How in the world does he think he can make it in the best league in all of basketball, when he couldn't even dominate at his position in a very average college conference? Should have got your degree first big fella. You'll need it out in the competitive world of work. What a sad mistake.

• re:Plaisted first round lock?
    June 4, 2008 6:44 a.m.

OK, I buy your city league arguement, and going top twelve in an "Ephraim/Sterling" size city? Sure...

But...

now hear me out...

What if it was a "county" say the size of Fillmore, or Millard, and then compare that to Utah, or Salt Lake Caounty -- I'm thinking they late second round -- Davis, he might move up to mid second.

That's why I think that because the draft hits the whole country, for him to be taken in the second round, they are just going to have to go deeper, with more second rounds, just keep naming them "the next second round", like he might be drafted in the 35th "second round" of the day.

That's because I am a real cougar fan, and Trent's "psyche" can be thrown off a bit. He's gonna need a huge "entourage", and while I won't be traveling with him, I hope he gets the right people.

• Anonymous
    June 4, 2008 6:44 a.m.

The Jazz can give me an awesome birthday present (birthday is the day of the draft) if they drat Hibbert in the first round. And picking up Ewing Jr. in the second.

• Eugene
    June 4, 2008 6:28 a.m.

So how do you improve the Jazz? What do they need to get over the top? Who do you trade? Scoring is not the problem since they were in the tops of the league in scoring so to win more games they need to make the opposing team score less and be more consistent throughout the game. Maybe an imposing center like Hibbert might be good, maybe trade up for a proven center in the free agent market.

Those safe from trade? D-Will, Okur, Boozer, AK, Korver, Almond (led D-league scoring), Brewer, Milsap, Price & Miles. All performed where assigned. Possible trade-outs? Collins (annual non-factor), Harpring (love'im, but age is there), Fesenko (coming on, but fast enough?), and Hart (what did he do for us?).

• Plaisted Rules!
    June 4, 2008 6:27 a.m.

Plaisted should be first round pick for the JAZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• utefan
    June 4, 2008 4:43 a.m.

I am not sure if Plaisted would be top 12 in Epraim but in Axtell he would be the number one first round pick! Wow, did this kid get bad advice or have an inflated view of his talents and this year's pool of players. Making himself available was the biggest financial mistake of his life...to date.

• Plaisted a first round lock
    June 4, 2008 12:23 a.m.

You can bank on it! Trent Plaisted would definitely go in the first round of a city league draft. He might even go in the top 12 if the city were the size of say Ephraim or certainly Sterling.

Laugh all you want, but I know he would be there. He is that good!

• Anonymous
    June 4, 2008 12:14 a.m.

Hey, don't give up on Johny Bryant. He is as good as some of good shooters in NBA like Eddie house and salim Staudmier.