RSL chief wants to move past funding controversy

Says he hopes to have a profitable, winning team

• LOL
    June 5, 2008 12:11 p.m.

I am so happy to finally get what I want. boo-hoo... havn't you heard? nothing you can do to stop the stadium now!

Take that!

• Dear Anonymous
    June 5, 2008 9:53 a.m.

Heros is spelled Heroes......unless you meant the sandwich.

• Anonymous
    June 5, 2008 8:25 a.m.

>>What else is there going on after the jazz go out for the summer. Nothing. RSL is the best option by far to get through the slow summer sports months.>>

Uh, I live here for the activity options. I am not going to sit on my butt and watch sports. I am going to go outside and PLAY them.

Spectator sports are for inactive fatties who live vicariously through made up "heros."

• Seacrest Out!
    June 4, 2008 8:13 p.m.

Shenanigans defined: local residents duped into believing the area can support a pro soccer franchise and a multimillion dollar stadium during a sagging economy. Good thing Checketts built this thing in Sandy instead of Utah County, because he'll need to sell a lot of beer on Sundays to keep this white elephant afloat. And did I miss something...when did David Archuleta become a soccer player? Brilliant first move, Manning.

• CMcAfee
    June 4, 2008 10:18 a.m.

RE: MEB
    I was going to counter each of your complaints with facts and logic, but decided not to waste my time; it is an exercise in futility to argue with somebody whose arguments are not based in logic.
    Inform yourself. Stop hiding your head in the sand of your ignorance and you might see the world as it really is.

Go RSL!

• Juice Box Guy
    June 3, 2008 10:05 p.m.

RE: MEB

You are SOOOO Wrong. Larry H did take a lot more money compared to Real if you account inflation. Real also got a lot lower percentage in tax money than all of the new recent MLS stadiums. For instance Toronto's taxes funded 100% of their stadium! I dont see people protesting there about their taxes. Oh-by the way-that city is standing behind their team and are selling out every game with a capacity of 20,000. So quit complaining about "your tax dollars". They were hotel taxes anyway so unless you vacation in SLC your money isnt funding REAL. Check your facts before you start bashing RSL.

• Cry me a river
    June 3, 2008 7:39 p.m.

If so many taxpayers didn't want the stadium why did practically noone support your petition to put the issue on the ballot? Reason: Most people actually like the idea of a pro soccer team in Utah. Also, most Utahns are smart enough to see their taxes are not really paying for the project. Cry all you want but Utahns can see the deal for what it really is not what the soccer haters want it to be.

Twenty years from now you can sit at an RSL game eating a hotdog with your grandkids in the beautiful stadium. You can tell them again how unfair this all is. Their response will be: "Shut up grandpa I'm trying to watch the game!"

• The Royals?....
    June 3, 2008 7:30 p.m.

...Real Salt Lake, call us RSL if you wish to shorten our name, but we aren't the royals.

Checketts wife?...huh...what does she have to do with this?

How can anyone say something will NEVER happen? How does anyone know? I say I GUARANTEE it will happen, does that change anything....um, no.

Thanks for your support. See you on Saturday.

• MEB
    June 3, 2008 6:44 p.m.

@ Re: Anonymous - Because you stole public money and forced the taxpayers to fund 'your' sport. That's wrong in every sense of the word. Not only that, but when the taxpayers came out in droves and said that they didn't want to do it, the Governor stepped in and 'made it so'. What an irresponsible use of public funds.

And don't come back and tell me that Larry Miller did the same thing. He was given a minimal amount of taxpayer dollars in comparison, and his has paid back the benefit to the public more than 100 fold. That will NEVER happen with Real. The public got taken and even the current Real President can see it.

• Re: Anonymous
    June 3, 2008 3:52 p.m.

Why do you waste your time make such pointless comments? If you don't like what RSL has to bring to the table then ignore it, there are MANY sports I don't like but I don't waste my time commenting such uneducated comments about it.. to each his own!

• Rebrand
    June 3, 2008 3:50 p.m.

The surest way to get past the controversy is to give up the stuipid ReAl brand and create one unique to SLC. Why is Chekcetts so insistant on us beig the Royals? Oh, yeah its because his wife thought it was a good idea. Maybe he shouldn't listen to his wife.

• Why not.
    June 3, 2008 1:06 p.m.

Seriously, if you are interested in being bored and don't want entertainment options... move to the states that anonymous mentioned. What else is there going on after the jazz go out for the summer. Nothing. RSL is the best option by far to get through the slow summer sports months. Bees is an okay second option, but I much prefer major league teams.

I am happy about RSL and their beautiful stadium being in Utah.

• ST Passion
    June 3, 2008 11:40 a.m.

By the way the stadium looks great.The back drop with the snow caped mountains and with the 20 plus K fans filling up the stadium will be awesome.

• Re: Anonymous
    June 3, 2008 10:55 a.m.

Why don't you take your lousy sense of humor and move on out of the state. You might like Albequerque, Wyoming, or Billings Montana. They are some of the very few places where there aren't sports franchises without a public/private partnership. Oh, I forgot the Dakota's...

• Anonymous
    June 3, 2008 9:35 a.m.

Wants to move past the funding controversy? Why doesn't he just take it a step further and move on out of the state (and take his lousy team with him).

• David Archuleta?
    June 3, 2008 8:08 a.m.

I was hoping more along the lines of David Villa, but ya, ok, I'm sure Archuleta could net a couple of goals for us next year. Is he a generation Adidas player?

• Its all good Bill.....
    June 3, 2008 8:06 a.m.

....most of the controversy was just uniformed, or uneducated opinions.

Can't wait to hit Blanco with some of your secret sauce.

• Anonymous
    June 3, 2008 7:46 a.m.

We will continue to hold it against RSL, Sandy, and Salt Lake County.