High school basketball: Pleasant Grove's Wilcox picks Washington over Utes

• Old Dawg
    Feb. 23, 2009 5:17 p.m.

Don't look now, but Washington is in first place in the PAC10. (11-4 with a top 20 RPI) CJ will get playing time, though Washington has alot of guards, but plays with 3 much of the time. Romar plays everyone, including freshman. Two start, now. They have the second youngest team in the PAC10 so he will fit right in. Their best perimeter shooter, guard Justin Dentmon, is a senior so there's an opportunity for playing time up for grabs.

• big B
    July 13, 2008 7:52 p.m.

GOOD LUCK CJ!!

• PG Fan
    June 21, 2008 5:22 p.m.

way ta go CJ!!!! way to make your school proud! good luck with your senior year at PG! by the way, where is LeSean gonna play? Football or basketball?

• Trojancoach
    June 5, 2008 12:01 p.m.

I know CJ and his family very well. I think he chose the school that he felt was the best situation for him. The University of Washington wasn't even in the picture four months ago. Congrats to coach Romar for a great recruiting job. He had offers from the premier basketball conference in the U.S. (The Acc). Florida State. U of Miami, San Diego, Utah and BYU did offer him. Craig mentioned that CJ. experience at BYU would have been different because CJ is a lot better than Craig at the same age. I think he will be a pretty good player at the University of Washington. I don't know if he will be great. Once again congrats CJ. I hope you have a great career.

• Re; Pac 10
    June 3, 2008 11:51 a.m.

Dallas Lloyd?

• Missing the Boat
    June 3, 2008 9:37 a.m.

The real reason a player like CJ leaves Utah is an opportunity to play ball in an elite conference and to experience life away from home. I grew up in Southern Cal in the 80's when a lot of top players where heading back East because of the glamour of schools such as Syracuse. Now the Pac-10 is turning out 1st round picks each year so why not head that way. Romar is a good recruiter and he is very good a picking players to fit his system. Not sure CJ would be a fit for Utah's style. Hawes in my opinion should also look West.

• RE: 1978?
    June 3, 2008 8:28 a.m.

Very good question...I, for one, thinks it's more or less meeting the expectation of its fan base. When BYU starts to appeal to more African Americans (with an overwhelming, consistent following), I think you'll see a gradual increase of African American student athletes.

Secondly, if BYU is consistent, CJ would have seen limited playing time...(just like all of the African American athletes do).

• 1978?
    June 3, 2008 1:49 a.m.

When will BYU ever start getting serious about recruiting African American talent? I went to BYU in 1978 and we still see no more blacks at the school or playing in sports than 30 years ago!!!

Pathetic! If the national media ever got ahold of this angle to our '1978' retro, we would be in big trouble. Time to do something about it BYU!!

By the way, I love the 'Y', but the administration are throwbacks to another era and mentality.

• PAC 10
    June 3, 2008 12:20 a.m.

I dont play but go to PG and am a friend of CJ's. He is a cool, humble kid from a great family. Just wait till this year when BBall rolls around. They have both Wilcox's, Sefa Tunoai, Dallas Lloyd and Marshall and they just got a big Ukranian big man that moved into PG. Watch Out! Looking forward to the Lone Peak game allready. Should be a battle!
    BYU was never in the picture. CJ loved Coach Boylen at Utah-he just fell in love w/Washington and what it will offer him. Dont be hard on the Utes as CJ was very close to going there and it would have been a great fit! Boylen did everything right-Cj is just following his gut feeling. Cant argue with that. Good luck CJ!
    oh and by the way...inside scoop...BYU will not get Haws either.
    GO PG! Go CJ!

• Anonymous
    June 2, 2008 11:44 p.m.

i at all want to say him to cj that is a player inprecionante and that create that it has the sufficient level to play with the college in the top 10 and that follow forward with his dreams and that it do not detain and follow forward

• Udub Fan
    June 2, 2008 11:16 p.m.

Just to give you guys a Washington prospective(because you obviously dont know anything about the program)he will be an above average role player there. Next season Jon Brockman PF will be the only player in Pac-10 history to lead the league in rebounds for 3 straight years. They are full of potential and will finish no worse than 5th in league. They played horrible last year because of inexperience in the best league in the country and they lost a top 10 draft pick(spencer hawes) they are also the only program in the last 3 years to put a player in the 1st round of the draft every year. He is going to a great coach who going into last season won the most games over a four year period in the league. He is in good hands

• SAD Lamp
    June 2, 2008 9:57 p.m.

To CJM: Win, baby, win. Romar will be NoMar if he doesn't win.

• Re: Just Me
    June 2, 2008 9:29 p.m.

I know you are referring to the Clearfield game. It was there game of the year! If you think your kid that scored 23 comes close to CJ, you don't know basketball! CJ was asked to help the other kids develop and allow them to get better. Who is keeping stats during a spring game with a running clock? Get a life!

• Re: Just Me
    June 2, 2008 9:30 p.m.

Spring Ball? Spring Ball? Are you talking about Spring Ball? Spring Ball? Spring Ball? Spring Ball? Are you talking about Spring Ball? I'm mean your're talking about Spring Ball COME ON NOW!!!!!

• thanks
    June 2, 2008 9:24 p.m.

Thanks for bringing me up to date on Keith Allred. The last time I saw him he was sitting with his dad at the tournament a year or two after he graduated from high school. I was a young kid and I was in awe. It was a long time ago, but it seems like yesterday. I can still feel it, and see it.

I am sorry to hear about his health. I truly am. I am not surprised that he is a class act. He was quiet and incredibly good on the court. The great ones... you remember them forever.

From a caveman.

• just me
    June 2, 2008 9:10 p.m.

In a spring b ball game a sophomore from up North held him to 14 while scoring 23 himself. They guarded each other. I guess Wilcox has heart or just plays when he wants to. Anyone know.

• Anonymous
    June 2, 2008 8:55 p.m.

Keith Allred played with Scooter McGilley and Pops Jones back in the good old days! I know this has nothing to do with the article, but those whippersnappers knew how to handle the cowhide!

• Re: Washington?
    June 2, 2008 7:54 p.m.

They did finish at the bottom of the PAC 10 and they beat Utah!!!.

• Mr. BoomBastic
    June 2, 2008 7:14 p.m.

He's my little brother's best friend. He had alot of options from alot of programs. I wanted him to go to a team with a better supporting cast, like Miami or UCLA, but at Washington, he will stand out. He had many scholarship offers from BIG time schools. And to you byu fans that were hoping for him to stay.. hahahaha

• re: Utah County Fan
    June 2, 2008 6:57 p.m.

Keith Allred is one of the finest men I know. He still lives in PG and has a phenomenal influence on young men in the area. My son is one who loves this man with all his heart.

His health over the last few years has been very delicate. However, he is just as tenacious in fighting his challenges as he was in playing defense on the court.

He may only be 6-3 but his integrity and humble demeanor make him 10 feet tall in the eyes of those who know him.

• haha
    June 2, 2008 6:52 p.m.

BYU didn't need him. They didnt give him much interest anyways. Haws is the real recruit here, and Washington and Utah arent his only offers.... Too bad the Utes miss out on the best local talent pool to come out in a decade. . . . . .good luck CJ

• re JD
    June 2, 2008 6:45 p.m.

come on now, dont get all over boylen after one year, guess what? THEY WON MORE GAMES THIS PAST SEASON THAN THE PREVIOUS 2!

• CJM
    June 2, 2008 6:26 p.m.

Lorenzo Romar will probably be at Washington for the remainder of his professional career. With the caliber of players that he has just recruited, C.J. will fit in nicely. That group will be exciting to watch.

• Mone-G
    June 2, 2008 6:00 p.m.

I don't know much about C.J. Wilcox and I am certainly not knocking the Utes program, but if your only choices were Utah and Washington University to continue your collegiate career, why on earth would you go to Utah when you would compete against UCLA who went to the final four for three straight years. The Pac-10 is an elite conference versus the MWC. I'm sure C.J. wants to compete at the highest level. However, if you desire immediate playing time then you would strongly consider the Utes program. Now moving my attention to the Utes, they will be fine without him. They have a good recruiting class comming in and return all five starters. They have successfully adapted to Boylen's style of play and will only get better under his tutelage. Next years team will play a tougher non-conference schedule and I am confident they will contend for MWC title and secure a bid into the NCAA tournament.

• Washington?
    June 2, 2008 5:57 p.m.

Seriously? Didn't they almost finish last in their conference last year? Good luck with that one.

• Water Wings
    June 2, 2008 5:33 p.m.

I hope he likes playing for a perennial also-ran where "wait for next year" is the unchanging mantra.

It's beautiful up here but University of Washington athletic programs ain't what they used to be. The coach might have one more year if he doesn't produce although, without an athletic director who's to fire him?

Let's hope C.J. likes seafood because he'll be a little fish in a big pond up here.

• Utah County Fan
    June 2, 2008 5:00 p.m.

Wilcox is a remarkable player. I hope he has a great career at Washington.

I selfishly wish local players would stay local, just because we'd get to see them play more. But what an opportunity.

The PAC 10 is also putting lots of pressure on Haws. He and Wilcox may continue the rivalry at the next level.

• douglas d
    June 2, 2008 4:59 p.m.

Does anyone remember a former great at Pleasant Grove named Keith Allred? He was incredible. He had two other great players with him: Miller, and Buckner. If you remember them, then you are truly a senior citizen and a fan of Pleasant Grove High.

I do not know what happened to those 3 guys but they made PG go!!! Allred was a shooter from way out, had a looping hook, and was about 6 foot 3. Went to the U I believe, and didn't cut it as a guard. Not fast enough. The other two i do not know where they went. Perhaps they read this forum. Hope so. MY hat is off to them........... and I am a caveman.

• danburtreynolds
    June 2, 2008 4:52 p.m.

BD, I agree with you about Boylen, I think he is going to be great. I wish Wilcox had stayed, but I don't think the future of Utah basketball hinged on his decision. I wish him the best, go Utes.

• Lone Peak Parent
    June 2, 2008 4:43 p.m.

CJ is a good kid from a good family. I wish him well. I hope he lights up the PAC 10.

• CJ
    June 2, 2008 4:10 p.m.

He is not LDS. No mission plans that I'm aware of!

His Dad, Craig, played for BYU during the Roger Reid days. It was a mixed experience for everyone who went through that.

I have known the Wilcox extended family for many years and wish CJ and everyone the best. Will LeSean follow to Washington to play football? Should be interesting to watch it play out.

I need a sports package that gives me PAC 10 games now!

• the other guy
    June 2, 2008 3:58 p.m.

he won't go to byu. even though his dad went there i don't think the time spent there was as positive as it could have been. that's why he excluded byu altogether.

• provocoug
    June 2, 2008 3:41 p.m.

Is he LDS and going on a mission? If so we still have a chance!

• BD
    June 2, 2008 3:39 p.m.

JD, JD, JD...have you ever really been to a game at the U? I've had season tickets since 1978 and I've been there for the great days and the tough days (along with attending games in the 1960's when I attended the school.) Boylen is the real deal. If you watched Weigh, you saw a kid that couldn't contribute under two coaches. This year you would have seen a team that is tougher, plays better together, and is on the mend. It's not an overnight thing, unless you are one of a half-dozen super schools. Kids that couldn't play together to save their lives under the previous coach were getting the concept late last season. The kid at Purdue would not have been a four-year player. Boylen is spreading out the impacts of graduating classes with four-year players, which means consistency. Was it the best decision? Time will tell, based upon the long-term record of the recruits over the next two years. The new asst. coaches have proven records and great state connections, something all three of the Big 3 schools in Utah strive for. Great things are in store for Utah.

• casey
    June 2, 2008 3:34 p.m.

Its pretty clear the Utahs are going to continue in the wrong direction. It makes me smile!!

• Alma the Wiser
    June 2, 2008 3:22 p.m.

Hopefully he will change his mind before signing day. Maybe Boylen can land Hawes. Either way, the Utes will be okay.

• LongTimeUte
    June 2, 2008 3:17 p.m.

I was really hoping CJ would pick Utah. He would have been a perfect fit and would have seen playing time immediately.

Best of luck.

• alternate
    June 2, 2008 2:57 p.m.

James - This guy is a good one. A big loss for the Utes and the State.

JD - Sounds like you don't like the Coach. He does have a couple of good recruits lined up.

Dick - I believe he may have felt that BYU was more into Haws and there was not room for both of them. Too bad, because he and Tyler would have been great together. If BYU does not get Haws it's a double loss.

• Cougar Fan
    June 2, 2008 2:49 p.m.

A little early to be blaming Boylen. I think Boylen will turn the program around, but he needs some time. Can't expect him to recruit with the best of them after one year. The guy coached with Tom Izzo, so he's got to be good. Urban walked into a good situation and walked out before he had to prove his own recruits. Boylen is working from the ground up. Give him time.

• Dick
    June 2, 2008 2:29 p.m.

Why wasn't BYU in the mix for him since I believe their program is superior to every other program? According to the scouting websites, he excluded BYU from consideration at the beginning of the process even though his dad went there. OUCH.

• JD
    June 2, 2008 2:22 p.m.

Just another example of what a poor coach Boylen is to lose another sure deal. How much longer Chris Hill do we have to put up with this. The assistant coaches bailed, Stephen Weigh, kid at Purdue, etc. Bullwinkle can't coach! Grabs the mic........"go back to Michigan"

• Alex Trebek
    June 2, 2008 2:14 p.m.

Then again, it is only a verbal commitment and I may end up eating my words, as I'm sure Coach Boylen and the boys will stay on him all the way up until the early signing day.

• James
    June 2, 2008 2:13 p.m.

Not a big loss for the Utes, the best college players in the state of Utah tend to come from other states.

• Alex Trebek
    June 2, 2008 2:13 p.m.

Good luck to Wilcox. Great choice. Coach Romar (sp?) is a great coach and he'll play in a great system. As a Coug fan I'm sad my team wasn't in the mix, but I'm glad we won't be facing him for the next four years.

• Anonymous
    June 2, 2008 2:05 p.m.

Congrats to Wilcox. He'll like Washington a lot. The Utes missed out on a good player!