Peace rally lacked peace

• mark
    June 1, 2008 4:51 p.m.

"3-4 soldiers have been murdered because the protestors didn't like the soldiers, 1 person murdered because the protestor thought he was a soldier."

Three to four soldiers, SFMI? Well which is it? Three or four? And one because the protesters (notice the correct spelling, SFMI?) thought he was a soldier?

Pray tell, SFMI, give your source for this information.

Oh, and by the way, were you there? Again, I was. No hate that I saw. Not even any violence. Very peaceful.

• orion
    May 31, 2008 5:39 p.m.

TO: LOST A CHILD IN THE WAR:
    I have no idea whether your moniker means you have lost a child or not. Either way, I would admonish you to not tell other parents how to mourn their children. It is not your right to judge their grief and how it is expressed.

• SFMI
    May 31, 2008 5:13 p.m.

I am sure it was an eye opener to the young woman who ended up not having a good feeling about her experience and asked to leave. Seems to me she has good perception.

I would say that she saw the softer side of the type of people who protest against their political opppents. From what I am able to gather, is that they do this and worse when ever they protest. They even violate 1st Amendment Rights of others because they don't like want to voice their opinion. And they have no bounds to their protests...3-4 soldiers have been murdered because the protestors didn't like the soldiers, 1 person murdered because the protestor thought he was a soldier. As for as I know, not 1 person has been murdered because they didn't support the troops/mission.

What this girl saw was hate, she felt it and knew it for was it was.

• mark
    May 31, 2008 3:57 p.m.

"(Rocky's people) are there because they have nothing better to do. They are the community's naysayers, malcontents, and freeloaders. . ." So says Former Resident.
    You know nothing about me you nasty little person. And I assume you know nothing, at all, about the other people at the rally.

• BeeGee
    May 31, 2008 3:54 p.m.

@GeeBee...wow, what an indepth and well thoughtout post.

I admire your writing skills, especially when you are really trying to make a point... :)

• mark
    May 31, 2008 3:51 p.m.

I was at the rally, unlike many of the posters here.
    "I said, "Don't you feel the peace in this rally?"
    "She replied, "There is only hate and anger.""
    So says the letter writer, Dave.
    I didn't see any hate, I did hear anger, or loss, from the mother that spoke who's son had been killed in Iraq.
    But I assume Dave and his daughter had left by the time this mother gave her poignant speech.
    I also heard a man troubled and frustrated by the actions of his country in the speech given by a veteran of the Iraq war. But I heard no hate in this speech. This speaker talked of how other soldiers had asked him to go back home and tell the people of their disillusionment in this war. I gotta admit I got a little teary eyed from the comments of this man who has fought for his country.
    But, again, I assume Dave and his daughter had already left.

• lost a child in the war
    May 31, 2008 3:33 p.m.

Any parent who lost a child in the war and feels cheated or wronged needs to grow up.
    You dishonor the memory of your child.

We have a volunteer military.
    Everyone who joins is a competent adult who is capable of deciding and has made the decision to serve the nation even at the risk of losing their life.
    The members of the military serve courageously and our nation owes them an infinite debt.

Service people continue to enlist and serve bravely and honorably.

It is tragic, however, when a service person loses their life in the cause they were committed to and then a parent capitalizes on that loss to grab attention to promote the parent's political agenda.

Cindy Sheehan?

If a parent is unhappy with a child's decision to serve in the military they should respect the grown child's right to lead their own life.

It is ghoulish when anti-war parents abuse the sympathy of a grateful nation to push their political agenda.

Grab your own 15 minutes of fame.

Don't insult the memory of your child.

• Don't tax for education but war
    May 31, 2008 2:44 p.m.

orion: "So what is your point? Is either more correct than the other? What does your point have to do with this thread other than to throw a smoke screen? Why can't we fix both?"

To him this is a left and a right issue because he has a warped state of mind. It doesn't matter that I am opposed to abortion, condemn it and want to see it eliminated because this is about left and right, Republican and Democrat instead of friend, neighbor, fellow Ward member or family. It's when this kind of climate exists that this kind of war is allowed to be conducted. There are also quite a few Republicans (most recently Scott McCellen) who are sick of it but are too afraid to speak out because of the kind of climate created by the MEB's of this country.

He thinks that debating life and death in a civil manner is a civic virtue while shouting and cursing over the thousands of dead is somehow wrong. That we should instead be debating whether our sons, our daughters, our husbands and our friends should die there and if our taxes should be used for it.

• Nice at Church then vote to kill
    May 31, 2008 2:40 p.m.

MEB: "So, if you have a point of view and someone else disagrees with it, the appropriate response is to leave all civility behind and throw a child like temper tantrum. Wow, that's quite an approach to life."

If your point of view causes others to die then yes I will throw a temper tantrum and any parent who lost a child in this war would have the right to object and to condemn their murderers. You go right ahead and act shocked at your violation of my rights and the rights of others and your continued insistence on debating whether you have the right to kill our kids and then lie to us at Church and tell us you love us when your votes don't seem to indicate that.

"So, don't act so indignant when there are many on the right who have been asking for the left to stop killing babies for decades,"

This isn't a left or a right issue. It is an issue between sending our sons, our daughters and our husbands and wives to die based on your ideological viewpoint. I guess the next time you see a soldier at Church you will mock him.

• rkbl
    May 31, 2008 2:38 p.m.

I'm sorry your daughter was offended by the discord at the Peace Rally. I am quite confident that if you took your daughter to Iraq or Afghanistan she would be much more offended by the behaviour there. And I don't mean just the battles with the insurgents. Crime among the military is a grave problem. Theft, assault and sexual assault are a major issue among servicemen and women. Consensual sex is a huge problem also, as many people form deep relationships while their spouses are so far away and turn to adultery for comfort. Utah is last in the nation in enlistment in the armed forces, but we are the most vocal of our support for the war. A very hypocritical position. Dissent is always ugly, but how else can we make a change?

• orion
    May 31, 2008 1:46 p.m.

TO MEB:

• MEB
    May 31, 2008 12:45 p.m.

@ stop killing...So, if you have a point of view and someone else disagrees with it, the appropriate response is to leave all civility behind and throw a child like temper tantrum. Wow, that's quite an approach to life.

I will say this (even though it is slightly off topic). The left has killed more babies (using the same definition of 'kill') in the last 6 months in this country alone in the name of choice than the current administration has 'killed' during the entire 'occupation' in Iraq. Since Roe vs. Wade, more babies have been killed by abortion than in all of the wars combined since before the turn of the 20th century. So, don't act so indignant when there are many on the right who have been asking for the left to stop killing babies for decades, only to be shouted down and called religious kooks.

• Former Resident
    May 31, 2008 12:15 p.m.

These "peace" rallies are nothing more than opportunities for Rocky to be in the public eye. He loves any time he can stand up before people, shout his rhetoric, and receive applause. And the crowds (Rocky's people) are there because they have nothing better to do. They are the community's naysayers, malcontents, and freeloaders looking for their leader to continue telling them they are right. Of course they swear and wear clothing that is inappropriate for younger people - this comes from their leader who both promotes it and encourages it. It's how he gets his kicks. His actions are really disgraceful. And no, I'm not a Republican or involved in the so-called predominate religion.

May 31, 2008 11:14 a.m.

we won't stop killing till you stop SWEARING!

• Stop killing and we stop swearin
    May 31, 2008 10:28 a.m.

Let's all say shame on them for using profanity and wearing profane shirts while applauding a President and his voters who are now killing thousands in an immoral war. According to this guy it is wrong to be angry or to 'freely shout' about how upset they are with the deaths of those who are dying because of the votes of self-centered people. How many more will die because we appease them? How many will be injured because of the votes of those who prefer polite discussion over addressing our demands for them to stop sending those we love to die. Take Cindy Sheehan who has been denounced by these murderers.

Many have posted condemning those at a peace rally for use of profanity and for expressing their anger but I would like to respectfully point out that it only upsets those who the shouting is directed at. We have been debating the murder of thousands of Americans in Iraq, we have talked politely with our neighbors and asked them to stop killing those we love but they don't instead they act upset because people are angry and swear at them. When they stop kiling people we will stop swearing.

• GeeBee
    May 31, 2008 9:25 a.m.

@ And-
    Yeah, dissenting opinion should be stifled...like in Tehran or Nazi Germany. Get real.

• A different view point
    May 31, 2008 8:43 a.m.

I guess it is all "in the eye of the beholder"

I too was at the Rally and I only observed two posters that I would consider crude.

I observed a young girl and her male friend walking around the group with a sign "Free Hugs" willing given as a gesture of friendship.

I observed a young man dressed in colonial attire with an American flag with a sign "Terrorist 1776".

I observed an elderly lady with a pot and a pan with a sign that she was beating them together as a protest against the coming attack on Iran.

I observed many signs against the war, the deficit, and the oil prices.

I did not hear any one swear or use vular langage from the podium during the speaches.

I observed posters against Bush and Cheney and their policies.

Perhaps this in my opinion made the letter writer and his daughter feel uncomfortable at the rally.

Personally I felt very comfortable there.

What really makes some people uncomfortable is that in my opinion more people always seem to turn out against Bush than for him in Utah.

Just a different view point from one who also was there.

• hold on...
    May 31, 2008 8:26 a.m.

For some reason, I don't believe one word of this letter. You didn't go to the rally. You just don't like Rocky Anderson. This sounds like someone giving a bad sunday school lesson.

• Phred
    May 31, 2008 7:58 a.m.

If your daughter's teacher wants to participate in this kind of activity, that is fine. But he/she has no business engaging in political indoctrination of her students, inside the classroom or out.

• MARC
    May 31, 2008 7:34 a.m.

By their fruits you shall know them...

• Denise
    May 31, 2008 6:59 a.m.

You taught her a valuable lesson, Happy early Fathers Day.

• orion
    May 31, 2008 6:39 a.m.

I want peace. I have attended peace rallies. I don't quite know how else to make my voice heard at this point. Despite enormous opposition to the war in Iraq, we have an anesthetic president who cannot admit to a gross error in judgment and action.

The peace rallies I have attended have had their share of those who seem to be a throw-back to the outlandish antics of the 60's and I am a bit embarrassed by them. I think most who attend are at a loss as to how to effectively make their sense of moral pain and outrage heard.

However, most of the participants are like me. They truly want peace and peacefully and sincerely are doing what they can to promote it in the only way they know how.

I am sorry the young lady picked up on the poison of the few in attendance at the rally. I wonder what she would say if she even glimpsed a little of the poison the US government is responsible for in Iraq?

Perhaps dad's conversation with his daughter should have encompassed a little more than the immediate surroundings of a rally.

• Buster
    May 31, 2008 6:32 a.m.

The letter writer seems not to realize that there's a difference between strong language and going out to die. The warmongers in Washington and Utah don't seem to be offended when thousands of Americans and tens of thousands of Arabs die for unsupportable reasons. Instead they get upset about an F-bomb or two. Now THAT'S having your head on straight.

• you are right
    May 31, 2008 6:19 a.m.

Hatred and anger alright.
    Hatred for the fact that 4,000 good soldiers and thousands and thousands of civilians dead; and anger towards those who rushed into putting these people in graves (not to mention the trillion dollars blown in the process that could go towards more positive things)

• Ardent
    May 31, 2008 5:45 a.m.

So, what did you expect from a bunch of nincompoops like Rocky and ilk. They aren't mad at war as much as they are mad at nothing being done the way they think it should be done. When President Bush came 2 years ago, it was the same thing. They make "peace" a bad word. They confuse "peace" with "piece" as in "let me give you a piece of my little mind".

It is so sad that they are so misdirected. I think they would rather just give America away to terrorists and let their loved ones be raped, murdered and intimidated into nothingness rather than to have to really stand up for something worth having.

This crowd is doing alot to help those who want to destroy us from within.... Are you listening Rocky?

• And
    May 31, 2008 4:57 a.m.

And the teacher should be fired for promoting their own left wing agenda in the classroom.

• wise girl
    May 31, 2008 4:00 a.m.

these angry self-righteous hate mongers deserve America's sympathy but not support.

• CB
    May 31, 2008 2:05 a.m.

'Peace rallies": An excuse for really bad behavior in public. They get lots of coverage by the media, thus I have had to witness more than I would like over the years. That a teacher would find something so 'low-class' an educational experience, makes one wonder if we don't have a "60's re-tread. I wonder if that teacher would give extra credit for their students assisting a candidate in a campaign for political office, especially a Republican?