Cook is the "American Idol"

• re true blue
    May 22, 2008 12:50 a.m.

taking credit for what AZ news reported? Fox 10 reported the exact same thing as your second quote.

• bjmm
    May 22, 2008 12:44 a.m.

I ,like others, was not an idol fan, but have watched this season from the beginning...all because of young David. His voice is so pure and spot- on that I couldn't wait to hear him each week. I honestly dont know how the results came out like they did but he should be so so proud of his rise to fame. As a parent, I myself would totally back up anything his folks did to protect him. I live in California and trust me-he would be so messed up without parental interference. When the Britneys and the Lohans get in trouble- the first thing everyone says is, "where are their parents?"-here's a 17 year old with concerned dad and he get ripped for it. Its called hype. The producers of Idol are control freaks and Entertainment producers, but the bottom line is $$$- I hope it comes to haunt them and kick them in the butt!! I STILL do not believe Cook won by 12 million votes. Are these phone hackers or what. David A was overwhelmingly the favorite. So long Idol, I wont invest 20 weeks agin for a rigged outcome. David A is the true IDOL!

• Gorban
    May 22, 2008 12:40 a.m.

"Celebrating the light" That is what David Arch. is going to do with his career, sing with the young embassodors at BYU.

• American what?
    May 22, 2008 12:40 a.m.

What happened to the spaz that won last year?

• Average Joe
    May 22, 2008 12:23 a.m.

What' American Idol? Bring back Gilligan's Island. I really hope they got off that island. Now that's entertainment!

• To Don't play the religion card
    May 22, 2008 12:18 a.m.

You are so mean.

• KM
    May 21, 2008 11:55 p.m.

I would love to have a cd with all of the songs David A. sang on AI this year! It would be outstanding!

• to phoooey...
    May 21, 2008 11:53 p.m.

you one phuuuney guy!

• Anto
    May 21, 2008 11:47 p.m.

As my predicting last week, congratulations DC! But Seisya - the comic face with curly hair divide two-is still my real singer.

• Anonymous
    May 21, 2008 11:45 p.m.

Congrates to David C. My family was caught up in American Idol and was rooting for David A. But we also respected David C.'s talent too, so the win was not a surprise. We feel that both will go far in the music business and look forward to what is to come from them both. American Idol is a great talent contest, and they both had exceptional talent. No need to get rude and judgemental with each other. We have a fall Presidental election coming.....save all the nasty mudslinging for politics.
    David A. can be proud of his run on Idol, he gave it his best and was amazing.

• true blue
    May 21, 2008 11:36 p.m.

I think that there is a reason AI has been losing fans, it's because the most talented individual rarely wins. Say what you want about a record 90 million votes, That means 20 million voted 4.5 times.

The Show didn't produce a star last year, the year before the biggest star placed 4th. Granted; Kelly Clarkson and Kerry Underwood were real stars.

David Cook should do well though. He's got appeal

• Archuletta the Beautiful Kid
    May 21, 2008 11:36 p.m.

Look, Archuletta is a beautiful kid, humble, has a voice, and a smile that can brighten the heart.

But all in all, he is still young, and there is much he can still learn and grow as his future unfolds.

Idol does not guarantee success, as we've seen so many times already, and though he wasn't the "winner", his winning personality and smile, as long as he continues to stay humble, he will be able to move the hearts of people through his singing.

Look at Aiken, he has outsold many of the winners, including his competitor, Ruben.

Archuletta has been given the largest stage in the country, and it's really up to him as to how much he is willing to work for his future. He had a larger then life push with the Idol spotlight, and only his talent will continue to carry him through, if he continues to develop it.

His voice, as good as it maybe, still needs training and further development.

His inner pain of being able to sing with the depth of someone who had lived a struggled life, will bring him refinements, that he has not as of yet acquired.

• the right one won
    May 21, 2008 11:31 p.m.

D. Archie was terrible. You people who voted for him need to get a view into the real world of entertainment.

• Joe Moe
    May 21, 2008 11:29 p.m.

I just have to say "I told you so." Not very mature, I know, but I think I've been one of about two posters on this message board in the past several weeks who has stood up for Cook as the more deserving performer.

Archuleta is great, but he's not as good as Cook. As I watched the judges critiques last night, I thought they must be smoking something. I figured people in Utah were biased, but I really didn't know the feeling of the nation. Now we know.

And now we're ready for the dancers. :)

• Atleast
    May 21, 2008 11:29 p.m.

Now Mr. Utah David A. can ATLEAST go on his mission. Both Davids were did great. I just hope we don't get another Taylor Hicks he was a Joke

• Don't play the religion card
    May 21, 2008 11:22 p.m.

I am LDS and live here in Utah and I am glad David Cook won. I didn't buy into the "local LDS pop hero" thing with David A. -- he is good, but too one dimensional. David C. is more versital and took risk -- and -- the people voted for him...so don't complain!!!

Those of you who are playing the religion card (i.e. saying that they took it away from David A because of his religion) are absolutly nuts! If that was really the case they would have run Brooke and David off a long time ago. People in general today like the style of rock that David C sang. David A is fantastic and I am sure he will have a good LDS pop career with a few cameo appearnaces in movies like God's Army III or Singles Ward Goes Sassy.

• lovesaltlake
    May 21, 2008 11:15 p.m.

well, all i can say is...may the best one win...and i ask myself..did the best man win..and i tell myself..don't know and so it goes..another show off the air...another time erased from our minds...another song.sung for the last time...and another tour about to get started. How sweet it was..how sweet it is...how sweet it will be to start again...all over..next year..january..my birthday month..oh yea

• Archaea Cougarguard
    May 21, 2008 11:10 p.m.

I am LDS, a practicing attorney in Henderson, NV, and just think that David Archuleta is a shining example of purity and goodness so lacking today in these United States. David A. should kick off the Republican Convention this summer. He is such an amazing talent. His spirituality and LDS background are great examples for the world. Certainly he will be a great missionary and do wonderful things as a member of the Tabernacle Choir.

• Samme
    May 21, 2008 11:06 p.m.

"I think they gave David A. the kiss of death last night. They gave him too much praise that David Cook got a lot of sympathy votes."

You are exactly right. Simon Cowell sorta bad mouthed Cook last night at the end of each of his three songs, which assured Cook the sympathy vote.

Did Simon do that on purpose?

• true blue
    May 21, 2008 11:05 p.m.

I'm in vegas and we are an hour behind, so I get on dn and they spoiled it for me. Thanks for ruining the surprise. Every other news establishment in the country respects the time zone

• mo
    May 21, 2008 11:04 p.m.

I loved the duet the two Davids led the night with. They should sing together more. That was great.

This is a popularity contest, not a singing contest. That is the only reason David Cook won. But both were great. So they each won, Archeleta for vocal performance and Cook for popularity. Not bad at all.

• Fred
    May 21, 2008 10:58 p.m.

"David Cook sings with a fake rocker voice that he changes every time he performs..."

David C's guitar playing last night looked faked as well. I doubt if he was even playing it.

• Leesa
    May 21, 2008 10:57 p.m.

David A. is going to be fine. Realistically, he's probably in the better position. Second place is the new first.

The reaction of my friends who'd gathered to watch tonight's finale. Shock! David A. was the favorite amongst us. Still, we all had a sense of relief too. The consensus was that Cook - while incredibly talented - garnered bucket loads of sympathy votes last night from those who thought David A. got a tongue bath while Simon threw Cook under a bus.

Congrats David A. Take a breath, move on and enjoy the tour! You're future has never looked brighter.

• rigged
    May 21, 2008 10:50 p.m.

Congratulations to both Davids...however, we can see how the judges can manipulate the outcome...first they cast doubt on David A...then at the end they give too much praise and then the other contestant gets his base really energized because they think he isn't going to win. I've seen it before...however, they both got those expensive cars and lots o dough and the summer circuit and fame and fortune. Brooke still has star quality and Syesha also. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

• prc
    May 21, 2008 10:45 p.m.

can't argue with the outcome. this years talent was a little weak for my taste. David Cook is a real talent where david A is a little to nasaly for my taste. Can't wait for next year. Hopefully there will be another Chris Daughtry and rock and roll can keep it goin'.

• Anonymous
    May 21, 2008 10:43 p.m.

Did anybody notice Brook's dress while singing Donna Summer's songs with the other girls? it was more fucsia than red and more conservative than the others. It looks like the producers wanted her to dress differently and she refused. Go girl!

• chris
    May 21, 2008 10:29 p.m.

I would like to hear David Archuleta sing Elvis's American Trilogy. That would be awesome!

• Gretzky
    May 21, 2008 10:28 p.m.

outstanding competition. it's for the best. David A. can finish high school now and steer his own career rather than being anchored to AI for the rest of his life. what a great season of music!

• A bit Salty
    May 21, 2008 10:27 p.m.

There is absolutely no reason to disrespect one David over the other David. They are both amazingly talented individuals in their own unique ways. It's good to be able to appreciate both of them. Those who disrespect have never put themselves out in front of an audience in such a vulnerable way. It's easy to sit behind your computers and criticize.

Both Davids will go on to have the careers they are willing to work for. The work doesn't stop once they've won a title, there's only more work to be done. May they do so with integrity and appreciation for those who have helped them along the way.

• disappointed
    May 21, 2008 10:26 p.m.

I never thought Idol was rigged but last night after putting in David A's numbers the first 5 times I voted, the recording said "Thank you for voting for contestant 1" David A's number obviously was 2. I wonder how many others had this happen.

• Anonymous
    May 21, 2008 10:24 p.m.

GJ:
    you say that he can't sing a current song??
    he just blew one republic away with Apologize.
    thats pretty current if you ask me.

• CTR
    May 21, 2008 10:26 p.m.

Both Davids were great! But you have to admit the guitar hero commercial was the best entertainment all night. That was fun. Thanks guys!

• Anonymous
    May 21, 2008 10:16 p.m.

I guess HF wants him to go on a mission after all.

• Geo
    May 21, 2008 10:16 p.m.

Mittney. This guy. Whom shall be the next MoGoBoy?

• Bill
    May 21, 2008 10:05 p.m.

Hi: I lived in Salt Lake for about a year in early 1990s and am not LDS (I am Catholic). I must say I loved the city and its people despite some misplaced preconceptions. No part of the vote tonight had to do with David's religion. Of that I am convinced. He is a wonderful young man with an incredible future and will do very well I know. I think in our society everything is geared to celebrity and fame. I would be very happy to see David settle down, have a family, sing, and be happy. He deserves it. He seems to me a really kind-hearteded person. And one thing, David, always know what you want.

• a little worried
    May 21, 2008 10:02 p.m.

I am so proud of David A and David C. I think they are amazing singers. I'm a little worried about David's lovable innocent attitude getting soiled by stardom. Stay your fantastic self David!

• Dan
    May 21, 2008 10:02 p.m.

Cook was awful. Bad choice, America. I've got money riding on Archuleta getting a better record deal and selling more albums than the generic Cook.

Leave it to FOX to spoil American Idol the way it spoiled the NHL, MLB, the NFL and NASCAR by shoving advertisements for moronic shows and pointless movies down our throats all night.

• Go ARCHIE!
    May 21, 2008 9:56 p.m.

David you are an awesome kid! Way to sing your heart out this season. You made us all proud!

• GJ (again)
    May 21, 2008 9:54 p.m.

Simmer down people...David A. is talented. He just didn't deserve to win this year.

The person who made the comment about Josh Groban made a good point. You don't see young people at his concerts or hear him on Top 40 radio. Look at what happened when David A. tried to sing the Chris Brown song a couple of weeks ago. He tried to sing a current hit song and it just didn't work. David
    A. is just not 2008 American Idol material.

• Cook Me Some Food
    May 21, 2008 9:52 p.m.

They both were fabulous but Cook deserved to win.

• JC
    May 21, 2008 9:47 p.m.

To What a failure:

Hey, I know how you can change the world! Waste twenty minutes of your time writing a cynical and holier-than-though post criticizing others for wasting their time. That's the spirit! That'll instill the changes you want to see in our society! Keep up the good work!

• Merlin
    May 21, 2008 9:47 p.m.

Ah! my heart is broken tonight. I was hoping David Archuleta would win it all. But alas! the other David won it instead. I don't regret I put too much stock on AI this year. I never really liked this show to begin with. I never watched it before until this year but I was so captivated by David Archuleta's voice. He is so young. He will have a lot of growing up to do and he will be even better when he is grown. It appears that america voted for their american idol as if they were voting for president of the united states. It appears that america did not vote for the better singer because of the controversy about his dad and his family and because the media had been continually bashing the young man for his inexperience and his boyish demeanor and his being slow in speech. My observations of him tell me otherwise. I think David has shown so much maturity and class on AI. To David: You are the real winner. That was decided on the finale. You were the star on the show. All three judges were in agreement.Thanks for sharing your special gift.

• Anonymous
    May 21, 2008 9:44 p.m.

I think that both Davids were awesome. However, I am relieved by the results. I think that David A will have no problem getting record deals. I don't know if any of you people saw the Guitar Hero commercial with David A in his undies, but it made me worried about our hometown hero. I think that by coming in second he and his parents with more say in what David will and will not do. Hopefully he will become successful with out being polluted by Hollywood.

• Atlman
    May 21, 2008 9:40 p.m.

to JW..
    I was just wondering how many posts it would take before it became a "It's because he's Mormon". Please do let go of the persecution complex. It was a talent contest. Disagree if you will about who had the most talent but PLEASE stop blaming "antis" for everything.

• Phoooey!
    May 21, 2008 9:39 p.m.

I think the refs from the NBA, the commentators on CNN and MSNBC, and the judges on American Idle are part of a larger conspiracy run by the devil to prevent Utahn's from getting a fair shake in the sports/entertainment/political world.

• utah david all the way!:<
    May 21, 2008 9:36 p.m.

david only won because they felt bad for him! david.A should have won simon made him feel bad that why everyone did vote for him who cares if utah david lost he still the best! he'll have a big feture ahead so dont hate!!!

and to all that talk smack on DAVID get a life!!!!

• me
    May 21, 2008 9:35 p.m.

TO GJ You need to take a lesson from David C. He couldn't have been better to David A than he was.
    David C wouldn't have like the way you described Davia A.

• What a failure.
    May 21, 2008 9:34 p.m.

More of you know idol more than your own country. Why don't you spend your time doing something productive rather than donate hours and hours and hours of your life to your T.V. and who the next idol will be.

It's not like 90 million people couldn't influence congress to start fixing Americas problem.

Then we wonder why our economy sucks and kids don't have educations or healthcare.

I'll agree that I root for David A. because I'm Utahn but I CERTAINLY don't spend my time committed to idol. I read results and move on. I don't need to waste my life away when most of you can't even think of as many senators as T.V. stars you know.

This only shows where America is spending it's attention on. Our future is what we do now. If americans aren't telling congress to fix our economy and people who are in forclosure still find time for idol and they don't even THINK to call their senator...what's wrong with that picture? Our future is more idol, it isn't health care or a strong economy.

• SAD
    May 21, 2008 9:33 p.m.

To GJ You are so cruel. This has nothing to do with the fact that you wanted David C, good for you
    but to be so cruel to David A is TOTALLY disgusting.
    We all should try to build each other up. you failed in that respect.

• Jen
    May 21, 2008 9:30 p.m.

I love David A. but I'm very happy for David C. I almost cried when I saw him get all emotional at the end and I was rooting for David A.! Was it just me or did David A. look the least nervous he ever has right before the results (and consequently David C. looked the most nervous!) -- although I'm sure David A. was very disappointed, he handled losing pretty well I thought. Congrats to David C!

• Great ending
    May 21, 2008 9:30 p.m.

Both deserved to win. David Cook showed his respect and maturity by recognizing David A. at the end. I hope both of them succeed in their singing careers.

• Mikey
    May 21, 2008 9:30 p.m.

People...he lost by 12M votes! That's a HUGE amount. Over 10%!! David Cook might not have had the best voice, but he is a pop idol. He has stage presence and sings songs that kids like. How many kids are going to buy albums filled with ballads? Just ask Josh Groban how many kids attend his concerts. I really like Archie and supported him because I'm a homer, but to say that Archie should have won isn't correct.

• Tsukihime
    May 21, 2008 9:26 p.m.

I'm so glad the right David won.

I'm so sick about hearing about Archie.

• jw
    May 21, 2008 9:24 p.m.

DAVID ARCULETA, HOW GREAT YOU HAVE BEEN. WHAT A TRIBUTE TO YOU AND YOUR TALENT THAT YOU TOOK 2ND PLACE. IT'S AMAZING THAT YOU COULD REACH SO MANY PEOPLE FOR GOOD. WE HAVE TO REMEMBER HERE THAT YOU ARE A "MORMON" AND WE SAW WITH MITT ROMNEY THAT SO MANY PEOPLE IN THE U.S. DON'T LIKE MORMONS AND YET YOU GOT SO MANY VOTES FROM THOSE SAME PEOPLE.
    WHAT AN AMAZING YOUNG MAN. WE LOVE YA.

• AI Fan
    May 21, 2008 9:22 p.m.

Both David's did a really good job I am impressed with both of them in thow they competed in the AI compotision? they are both winners I think, Good Luck to both of them on their Carrers and whatever else they have in mind

• archuleta roxx
    May 21, 2008 9:23 p.m.

America made the wrong decision. Archie is hottt. David A. is great.

• GJ
    May 21, 2008 9:20 p.m.

Question - is it true that David A. didn't sing the first verse of "Imagine" because he's LDS?

Anyway, David Cook TOTALLY deserved to win. Face it - America would much rather hear a talented rocker than a 17-year old middle-of-the-road singer. Maybe David A. will get a contract singing at Andy Williams' gig in Branson, Mo. That's definitely his speed!

• susan
    May 21, 2008 9:17 p.m.

I think Simon had alot to do with Archie not winning.

• FYI:That's too bad.
    May 21, 2008 9:11 p.m.

Today on the news here in Missouri, they were griping and complaining about how unfair the judges were last night to Cook. So get over yourself, states love their people and get protective.

I am glad that both David's did so well, I enjoyed both of them and hope the best for both of them, I kind of figured Cook would win, last night made me doubt some. But he really is a great guy, I think that he was awesome to David A., he was like a big brother to him. David A is not ready for the big world yet, he probably needs to have a dose of normal after the tour and go from there.

• utahman
    May 21, 2008 9:08 p.m.

I could swear that I saw on cnn.com that David Archuleta had won. Did I totally misread the post? Because I checked back an hour later, the post had change to be only one minute old, and it said David Cook had won.

• Jennifer
    May 21, 2008 9:07 p.m.

I don't care who wins, but what I detest is what the show: Simon and producers did to young David. Simon paraded to all National TV shows to convinced people to vote for Cook. Then last night gave false hope to young David and make people think he had already won. David Cook's fans at the same time were on high alert and voted their lives off. Then came tonight said otherwise.

Cook is talented and I am happy for him. But what they did to young David is just awful.

Look at the bright side, being the winner might not be best after all. If you sell CD, it only even because you are supposed to sell it since you are the winner. If the winners can't sell CD, they are ripped apart.

One thing I am so happy for these kids though, it seems they have made some really good friends on the show. God bless them.

• agree with merkin
    May 21, 2008 9:05 p.m.

i agree da didn't have the same versatility as dc. and i have to disagree with musician and interesting's comments, i wager dc will have a much longer and bigger career. he has more star power, he's older, more mature etc. as has been commented on this news website before, his music sold 3 times better on itunes than da's which is indicative of his future career, which will be huge. i don't doubt da will have a career, he is good but let him finish high school for crying out loud.

• Vocals do Matter
    May 21, 2008 9:05 p.m.

The show is rigged anyway. David Archuleta is the Winner in my eyes. He sounded just right and suave. Great guy and will have a lasting career. He will go a long way.

• Danny C.
    May 21, 2008 9:03 p.m.

Maybe we can get back to real news now.

• Idol lover
    May 21, 2008 9:03 p.m.

• David Fan
    May 21, 2008 9:02 p.m.

David Archuleta should have won, I love that sweet little baby face. I definitely be buying the first time ever an AI CD.

• Clifton Clyde
    May 21, 2008 9:00 p.m.

Tough night for David A. Best of luck for a great career.

• Re: Merkin
    May 21, 2008 8:56 p.m.

No need to explain this to Utah because they are in the denial stage that Archuletta didn't win. By the way..whose josh Groban, Buble and Rice? I suspect David A will be just as forgettable as they are. Can you imagine David A singing with ZZ Top? yuck.

• merkin
    May 21, 2008 8:47 p.m.

The person with the talent to achieve success in pop music won tonight. David A, while amazing vocally, has no breadth whatsoever...an inch wide and a mile deep if you like. His stage presence was consistently awkward and his ballads were more akin to Broadway than Madison Avenue. To successfully pursue music alone he will have to get in line behind a more talented group featuring the likes of Josh Groban, Michael Buble, and Damien Rice. Or perhaps he can go the Clay Aiken route and pick up the Barry Manilow crowd. Vocals alone don't a star make.

• Great year for AI
    May 21, 2008 8:44 p.m.

Doesn't really matter which David won, as both will soon be fabulously wealthy.

Really proud of our local David, but also thought highly of David Cook.

Congrats to both!

• Well done!!
    May 21, 2008 8:36 p.m.

Ha, David beat Golliath!!!

• Illinois Fan
    May 21, 2008 8:35 p.m.

I really thought David Archuletta should have won, but as I think about it, I'm really glad he came in second! Not being crowned "THE IDOL" could be a great blessing in disguise. He won't be beholden to strict contract terms that American Idol would require when creating his first album. When hearing Archuletta vs. Cook tonight, Archuletta definitely has a voice that exceeds that of Cook's in regards to the tenor and range that he has... Nothing against Cook, because I think he's good, but Archuletta will be one of the great artists for years to come. Just wait and see!

• Anonymous
    May 21, 2008 8:30 p.m.

Just like Romney. He'll have to settle for second place.

Maybe Archuleta could be the vice-idol?

• Anonymous
    May 21, 2008 8:29 p.m.

Uh, way to ruin the surprise, jerk.

• Well it was interesting
    May 21, 2008 8:29 p.m.

Congrats to Cook but I think Utah David will have the longer career.

• Musician
    May 21, 2008 8:28 p.m.

David Cook sings with a fake rocker voice that he changes every time he performs, and he has a difficult time finding the right pitch on the lower notes. He is still trying to find his sound. As the "accidental" contestant and winner, he'll release an album with one or two hits and will quickly be forgotton with time.

Cook has a carrer just like Rubeun Stoddard. They keep brining him back to perform on Idol because because he can't sell records and is quickly forgotton.

David Archuleta, while younger, has a much more mature voice with better tone and excellent pitch. While he may have not won first place, he will record and sell many more albums and go further in his career than Cook ever will.

• Good Reverse Psych
    May 21, 2008 8:26 p.m.

If David Archueleta is second, he is the WINNER. By the standards that AI has, it restricts the winner's career and deals. So, it is ok for David A to be second, he comes out better. Both are winners!!!

• That's too bad
    May 21, 2008 8:25 p.m.

Listen Utah, America voted.
    The real "AMERICAN Idol" has won!
    And not the "Utah Idol".

Heh.

• Spoil this
    May 21, 2008 8:24 p.m.

This is news, how? Thought this was a news site. At least it's over and you guys can get back to things of record that matter, like the economy, war, business...

How embarrassing for the professional journalists at your paper. To have editors drunk on this folly.

• Cori
    May 21, 2008 8:21 p.m.

It was an awesome ending, with either David deserving of the title!!

• not voted for talent
    May 21, 2008 8:21 p.m.

I guess the majority didn't vote for the real talent but a more mainstream image. Too bad, David A. has more talent, no doubt. Best wishes to him for the future.
    I won't be buying any David Cook CD, that's for sure.

• jr
    May 21, 2008 8:19 p.m.

The last four were talented and if they are looking for a career in the rat race of entertainment GOOD LUCK TO THEM. Maybe David A can slow down and concentrate on being a student and enjoying being a teenager with a good future ahead of him. Maybe the Osmonds will sponsor him

• Anonymous
    May 21, 2008 8:18 p.m.

Not even the LDS population could have turned this one around.

• Archuleta Fan
    May 21, 2008 8:18 p.m.

The right person definitely didn't win this year. American Idol got what they wanted, and have been pushing for all season. It is too bad that David Cook got all the positive publicity, while David Archuleta got the negative. I thought American Idol was a singing contest. The best singer didn't win, for the 3rd strait year. David Archuleta is American Idol in my book. I can't wait for his CD. Congrats David A!

• Shannon
    May 21, 2008 8:16 p.m.

they both were fabulous and both deserved to win!

• Shannon
    May 21, 2008 8:15 p.m.

They both were fabulous and both deserved to win.