Cowell would like to see Cook win 'American Idol'

• Pixie
    May 22, 2008 8:53 a.m.

Henry- some people have no class and can't accept losing gracefully. Just deal with the fact that the best Idol won! It's pretty simple and obvious who presented themself like a true Idol, and it wasn't David A. Like I posted earlier, it's American "Idol", not American "Singer" and apparently America WANTED Cook. Utah is so narrow-minded that they forget not everyone wants an Idol that looks and sings like a missionary.

• Henry
    May 22, 2008 1:37 a.m.

For those who actually attended the concert---thousands who were there---they heard the live comparison and David Archuleta ran away with it HANDS DOWN!! Something is fishy at American Idol. The "American" voting process is being corrupted.

• Lynn
    May 22, 2008 1:02 a.m.

Unfortunately, I got home from work Tuesday night too late to watch AI, but I got home Wednesday in time to watch the last half hour, and see the winner. I was so excited when David Cook won, I jumped out of my recliner, yelled, and clapped my hands! It was my 61st birthday, too. What a great birthday present for an old lady!

I really like both of the Davids, but I think David Cook has more vocal range, versatility, and stage presence. He will go far.

David Archuleta is a fine singer, too, and I'm sure he has a bright future ahead of him. He really does have a beautiful, clear and melodic voice. But, he is young, and a bit awkward. Maybe he just needs a little more time, and a little more experience.

Anyway, I will be looking forward to hearing more from both of them.

• Gretzky
    May 21, 2008 10:30 p.m.

we are all winners...this has been a great season of music!

• Eileen
    May 21, 2008 10:09 p.m.

Well - the pollsters had it right on the weekend I guess. David Cook's votes were locked up despite his low key showing last night.

Funny, usually when people here complain about it being a popularity contest they're upset that the Mormon is in the lead. The fact Cook won, even though he didn't sing as well, is a shame.

Personally, I thought it could have gone either way, with Cook's Billie Jean being the best American Idol performance I've ever seen. But he did blow last night, 0 for 3.

• Pixie
    May 21, 2008 9:13 p.m.

And the "real" Idol wins!

• Eating your words Esther?
    May 21, 2008 8:48 p.m.

That's right, America voted and David Cook is the American Idol. Too bad "American Idol" doesn't rely on votes from 2 judges and Murray, Utah. Like Donny Osmond said "enjoy the 15 minutes of fame".

• Zoe
    May 21, 2008 7:59 p.m.

David Archuleta should win because he has the best voice. He showed that last night, the kid can sing. Cook appeals to a lot of people but just doesn't have the voice.

• Leah
    May 21, 2008 6:24 p.m.

David A. definately has a beautiful voice , but I just can't look at his face because he always looks so pitiful and on the verge of tears. All his songs sound the same, and I could not see myself buying his CD. David Cook has amazing talent!! Not only does he have an awesome unique voice, but his arrangements he does are so entertaining. His overall stage presence is so much better than Archuleta. I could definately see myself buying David Cooks CDs. GOOOOO David Cook!!!!!

• All hail to Pixie
    May 21, 2008 6:15 p.m.

That is why those who see and actually vote on the show are "Idol worshippers".

David A wasen't good enough to get a deal before he appeared on the show, his school and town didn't even recognize him, heck even the state of Utah. He was a normal high-school kid who probably got rejected more than once for dates. Now that he's on television Utah sees him as the Savior. Please! Oh and save me the "he's inspirational" crap, your local church choir is more inspirational than him.

• pixie
    May 21, 2008 5:38 p.m.

It's called American "Idol" not American "Singer." It's not just about one's singing voice, but their entire stage presence.....look at the two contestants and figure it out...enough said.

• Cindy
    May 21, 2008 5:30 p.m.

I think both David's are great, but they are totally different in their style. I really hate to see either one of them lose. I liked David A from the very first show....David C grew on me. I believe they are both winners....and wish them both all the luck in their futures.

• Esther
    May 21, 2008 5:02 p.m.

To those who think David Cook should be the American Idol I have one thought for you. Randy Jackson and Simon Cowell who both happen to know quite a bit about music and have heard every performance of both Davids live. Think David Archuleta is the man. While every is. oh I made a mask Cook is the best!!!

• Steve - Re: Not as Confused as
    May 21, 2008 4:28 p.m.

Not a marketing contest? Sorry... wrong there. It's all about the money in the end. Call it a singing contest if you like, it might start out that way, but as the season progresses it always turns into a popularity contest. People vote for who they like as a person/individual, or at least that GREATly effects their vote... and if you're good looking or cute like David Archuleta then that helps you go even farther in it as all the young girls and boys drool over you. That's exactly why Mr. Dreadlocks Jason lasted as long as he did (all those girls and guys mezmerized by his eyes and good looks).

So yes, it's about marketing. The judges praise and promote Archuleta so much not just because of his great voice, but because they have dollar signs in their eyes. They know he will make scabs of money on at least his debut CD with all the tween and teen girls. These dollar signs cloud their vision and allow them to over-look his mistake with lyrics and keep them from complaining that he sings nothing but ballads successfully, that he lacks range and style.

• Oh my goodness
    May 21, 2008 3:18 p.m.

I've had enough of this reporting! One article is sufficient. Only in Utah would this be a big deal. If Archuleta wins I think I might unsubscribe from the newspaper for a while

• Dave
    May 21, 2008 3:06 p.m.

Until I saw last night's show I was pulling for Archie, but after watching my first ever Idol last night I would listen to Cook's songs in the car but could never see listening to Archie songs unless I was on a date. Is Archie going to be the Ballad Man for the rest of his career? If so he'll have plenty of women followers (see Manilow, Dimond)but as far as mass appeal it's got to be Cook.

• Interesting reading
    May 21, 2008 2:59 p.m.

I have to admit that David A doesn't have that stage presence of David C, but how old is David C.? I'm sure he's done some signing with bands and done a few shows. I don't think that David A has had that experience yet and he can always add that. That said I did think David A had a great singing night last night, but this is just who has quicker fingers anymore.

• Agree with Interesting
    May 21, 2008 2:44 p.m.

You are right with the money. Simon is laughing all the way to the bank with this one. He wants the pre-teenies and teenies to spend their mommys and daddy's cash on him, do you know how much he is getting on the next American Idol, hundred times more than the little boy David Archuletta.

• Interesting
    May 21, 2008 2:02 p.m.

In the end it all comes down to the amighty $$$$$$$.

David A will sell more to the teen crowd and their parants will not reist them owning and listening to his music so they will buy it for them also.

David Cook is a talent who has done well. Any disparaging remarks towards either of these performers is in poor taste. They are both wonderful people and talent. We all don't like the same type of ice cream and we are not going to all like the same performers and music.

• James
    May 21, 2008 1:45 p.m.

It isn't about deserving to win because you have the hardest background. It isn't American Rock Idol or American 12 to 26 year-olds Idol. David Cook looked like he wanted to give it away. I liked David A. going in, but thought he didn't have much of a chance. He was absolutely amazing. He nailed it on every performance. True, he is young and isn't polished yet, but he will learn about stage presence and all that in time. You would expect David Cook to already have those things. The important thing is the voice and emotion. David A. wanted it more.
    This season we saw the closest voting, two amazing performers, and perhaps tonight the first American Idol to pass out on stage. David A. has the voice and talent well beyond his years. David C. is very talented and will do well with his future, but I keep getting the feeling he is a wanna be rocker. I think he is better than he has demonstrated lately. Both are fabulous guys; both have a great future.

• Jane
    May 21, 2008 1:02 p.m.

Have you heard the news? David Archuletto is Mormon.

• Linus
    May 21, 2008 12:56 p.m.

Too virginal? Too sexually ambivalent? If these issues define your criteria for acceptance and success, you need help. Great music is not restricted along these lines. Was Britney Spears less popular when she was virginal? Is Elton John's music rejected because of sexual ambivalence?

I liked Archuletta last night because the sounds he made were pleasing to my ears, and he looked good to my eyes, and without regard for any other part of my anatomy.

• Chris
    May 21, 2008 12:56 p.m.

I am not mormon. And I voted for David Archuleta. He is the superior singer.

• Not as confused as you
    May 21, 2008 12:54 p.m.

Wha??? David A is too virginal and sexually ambivalent to appeal to an audience? What kind of sicko are you. This is a singing contest. It is not a sex contest, it is not a marketing contest.

• closet Idol fan
    May 21, 2008 12:45 p.m.

David A is the better singer, but David C has more "Idol" Appeal.
    Since that's the premise of the show, Dave C. will win.
    Actually I don't think either is any better than past winners.

• Tammy
    May 21, 2008 12:35 p.m.

I love Daid Cook!! He deserves to win!!!

• jt
    May 21, 2008 12:22 p.m.

oh yeah, david a looked like he was going to pass out from hyperventialting last night. he looked scared to death after each song. he needs to relax and be confident in who he is and what he does. good job little boy.

• jt
    May 21, 2008 12:20 p.m.

and by the way, i am a born again. why do you people insist that religion and background are the nominees' voter preference. should have nothing to do with it. talent should be number 1 reason why you vote for who you do.

• jt
    May 21, 2008 12:13 p.m.

well, whatever the decision, they both will do well. i have to admit if it is just a ballad, david a can belt them out but don't give him any other kind of music. david c proves he can do both. versatility is the word which describes david cookes abilities.

• Virginal
    May 21, 2008 12:07 p.m.

David A is too virginal and sexually ambivalent to appeal to a broad audience.

• Cook Fan
    May 21, 2008 12:01 p.m.

David Archuletta has no visual appeal. You can't respect a little smurf like that. With all due credit to Archuletta for having a good voice, David Cook has a much more unique sounding voice, much better control in jumping large ranges, and his falsetto is tons better than Archuletta's. He is just overall a better talent with a more unique sound as well as a MUCH better visual appeal. Archuletta is a little kid still and needs to grow up a few years before he can pull it off.

• To DA
    May 21, 2008 11:31 a.m.

"Get a life!"??? YOU need a life away from being parked in front of your boob tube.

• J
    May 21, 2008 11:18 a.m.

I think David C. is a great performer but I really am underwhelmed by his voice. He can sing, for sure, but it just sounds like any other rock-ish type guy -- nothing original or special there. I almost feel uncomfortable watching David A. perform and especially after. I just want to yell for him to calm down and relax! He looks like he's gonna faint! Hopefully in the years to come David A. will get better stage presence with some more experience -- because if he does -- wow! If only we could combine the two David's -- that would be one heck of a star!

• He lost...
    May 21, 2008 10:05 a.m.

Despite being the better singer, Archeleta lost. Check out dialidol, dawg. The born agains voted against the mormom. First Romney, now Archeleta. Bummer.

• be nice
    May 21, 2008 9:40 a.m.

why all the hate for Cook? we're mormons remember? be nice. david a had nothing but nice words for Cook. utahns should too.

• Realistic
    May 21, 2008 8:50 a.m.

Both Davids are going to win - they will both get contracts. However, David Cook fits the "American Idol" mold. However, I would not say he's more talented in the vocal area. David A has superior pitch, tone, quality, etc. But David Cook has the "rocker" image.

They both deserve to stand on the stage and both have already won big - it will change both of their lives and place them in the industry long term.

• It's About "Listening"
    May 21, 2008 8:25 a.m.

Anybody remember a guy named Taylor Hicks, a great PERFORMER, but his record sales went absolutely nowhere. The real winners from AI make their money (and their reputation) from record sales, NOT from stage performances. That's why David A. will win and have a better career selling records - people will want to LISTEN to his songs, they won't care that he is a wooden puppet on stage.

• DA
    May 21, 2008 8:06 a.m.

To "Glad I don't watch" Get a life and stop being a drone.

• Glad I don't watch
    May 21, 2008 7:30 a.m.

Listening to some of you.. "OH your so cute. I just love you." GAG ME! So glad I turned off my TV!

• Simon
    May 21, 2008 7:14 a.m.

so it comes down to peoples past? Fact is Simon does not care at all for 'goody two shoes' contestants. Remember what Simon said to Brooke when she first auditioned and he learned she was LDS? He rolled his eyes in disgust and said "oh, your one of those". David A will win.

• Julie
    May 21, 2008 6:10 a.m.

Everyone has their trials comon people! You are saying because Cook has worked hard?? What the heck! Don't you think that Archie worked just as hard?? the kid is only 17 and has an amazing voice! He SHINED tonight! He is OUR AMERICAN IDOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sandee
    May 21, 2008 6:10 a.m.

As it has proven in the past, winning the title of "American Idol" doesn't guarantee the greatest success (example: Clay vs. Ruben). Both Davids are fantastic performers and I will buy both of their future CD's! David A. got my vote, though!!

• holladay
    May 21, 2008 5:50 a.m.

David Cook does not have great vocals...I can barely understand any of his lyrics because his diction is poor. On the other hand, Archuleta sings clearly. This is a singing contest and when pressure was greatest to perform, the little kid out did the adult. Way to go!

• D. C. Fan
    May 21, 2008 5:41 a.m.

One night does not sum up the whole season. In my opinion it WAS NOT a TKO for Archuletta.. He is a cutie, and very humble... BUT not a performer!! David Cook has the whole package... He can sing any genre of music, he moves well, plays to the audience.. I think he defines American Idol much better than Archuletta. Good Luck DAVID COOK!!!

• smile
    May 21, 2008 5:14 a.m.

talking about total package? DC has it! if you want to close your eyes and listen to the song...DA's voice has it,but to watch him perform? BORING!

• jeanie
    May 21, 2008 4:37 a.m.

At this point, it doesn't really matter who wins or who loses (as in the past #2 can outsell #1). BOTH will do tremendously well and will have the opportunity to have their careers launched in a huge way. Good luck to David A and David C!

• naama
    May 21, 2008 4:17 a.m.

ARCHULETA WILL WIN!!! ALL THE WAY BABY!!! LOVE YOU AND YOUR VOICE!!

• rvalens2
    May 21, 2008 4:01 a.m.

As Simon said at the end of the show, David Archuleta won all three rounds. Winnner by a TKO.

Cook could still win but his poor song selections on Tuesday likely cost him the AI title.

• Hollywood Sound Hound
    May 21, 2008 3:23 a.m.

I was one of the lucky souls who got into the Nokia. The irony is that I went as a huge HUGE Dave Cook fan (and frankly not a fan at all of little "Archie")and I came out totally blown away by Archuletta... if you were in the house you would know that Simon was dead-on, that kid was amazing (at least tonight or maybe live?). His voice sails, no SOARS!!! He was just on a whole other level than Cook (who certainly must have had a bad night???) Anyway, I am totally blown away by that kid's voice and talent... 17??? I'll never forget this night for as long as I live... and I'm in my 40's... and **** no I ain't gay either! I still can't believe what I heard. That kid has the most amazing chops I've ever heard... and that's saying something. Even Clive said the kid's the best male vocalist he's ever heard, he puts him right up there in Whitney's league. What I heard tonight was a good singer and a GREAT singer... they were just the opposite of what I was expecting going in.

• awatcher
    May 21, 2008 1:11 a.m.

even though david a had a better night than david c,

david cook had a better season, so he wins in my opinion.

• Mark
    May 21, 2008 1:04 a.m.

After tonight's performance.. it looks like Archie wanted it more. I was very underwhelmed by Cookster. Go ARCHIE!!!!

• vanilla4
    May 21, 2008 12:50 a.m.

David A has a great vocal ability, but he has no depth, can't move well, no variety. Not a good performer. Boring!!! Now David Cook is brilliant, sexy, has fantastic vocals, is creative, interesting, moves well, plays guitar. I thought it was great that he sang without the guitar, then with electric, then with acoustic guitar. He is the American Idol!!! i would rather see Cook perform than Archuleta any day. David Cook is the one!

• karen
    May 21, 2008 12:29 a.m.

Cmon, Simon. I generally agree with your comments. But a person doesn't win because of he's got a worse life than the other. One should win because of his talent, not because he had a harder life than the other contestant. Gheez. And you always ask on the show if it's a talent or a popularity contest?

• 40-Something
    May 21, 2008 12:26 a.m.

Simon's comment on Leno makes his later comment that Archuleta delivered a "knockout" in the final all the more significant.

• Anonymous
    May 20, 2008 11:50 p.m.

Both were good all season....David A. won the battle tonight and as much as I hate to say it.....deserves to win because of it.

• Jen
    May 20, 2008 11:28 p.m.

I voted for David Cook. He deserves it more . He has definately worked hard for this. But, even if he loses, I predict Cook will be the bigger success. He is talented, sexy, original and nice. David A. could be a teen idol, but David C. has staying power...

• MoJules
    May 20, 2008 11:12 p.m.

Trials are not the basis for winning a contest, my goodness, I should win a million for my trials. Both of these young men are very talented, they both have good and bad moments, tonight the good was in David A's court. I believe that before tonight, I would have leaned towards Dave Cook, but he was outdone on all three numbers. Even Simon, who was saying that David Cook should win, declared that David A was the winner tonight, and Simon is respected by the fans. He is brutally honest, but I would rather have him tell me that my voice was bad or my dress, than to have Paula smile and say, "you look so nice tonight", that is her saying, you did awful. Randy tends to like to follow Paula's lead, and yes, they are more respectful, but they are not being truthful much of the time.

• Anonymous
    May 20, 2008 10:31 p.m.

MY FAVORITE D. ARCHULETA

• COOKALICIOUS. [:
    May 20, 2008 10:28 p.m.

DAVID COOK IS BASICALLY GOING TO OWN BECAUSE HE HAS AN AMAZING VOICE AND IS VERY TALENTED. I LOVE YOU DAVID COOK. BREAK A LEG. [:

• someone
    May 20, 2008 10:19 p.m.

yeah right david cook rox i luv david cook he is cute and he has great talent also has gone through a lot since his brother battled with brain cancer and deserves to win it more than david archuletta.

• Anonymous
    May 20, 2008 10:12 p.m.

david cook all the way!!!!

• mystery
    May 20, 2008 8:59 p.m.

I think David A sould win. He rocked the house down.i love u David A, good luck.