Archuleta's 'Idol' fame won't fade anytime soon

• Steve - Re: Irishdraco & jt
    May 21, 2008 1:38 p.m.

Irishdraco: Donny Osmond did not serve an LDS mission.

jt: You're right to a point. A person may not join the LDS Church (part of the Christian religion) because of David or any celebrity... but he or they might have their intrest sparked and become curious about the church because of the LDS celebrity, then that could eventually lead to them becoming a member. The spirit converts, not a celebrity or missionary.

To answer your question JT, mainly with the boys it's expected that they will go on a mission at 19 and some might even feel pressured to serve... but they still have a choice in the end. They aren't literally forced (by the church itself/the organization that is... can't speak for certain parents/family's). There is much less pressure on girls/young women to serve when they turn 21... instead they're "encouraged" to be getting engaged and/or married.

• jt
    May 21, 2008 12:53 p.m.

i would not convert to lds just because someone famous is lds. don't push religion on people. we, as christians, are supposed to spread the Word, not religion. anyone in their right mind would not be swayed to a man made religion by a celebrity. the Holy Spirit swayed me to become a born again christian. does the lds church rule their children? do they make them go on a mission? God does not tell us, he gives us a choice to believe in him.

• for Steve and Mission?
    May 21, 2008 11:18 a.m.

They all serve no matter if by dancing, singing, talking, as I am serving by correcting errors. If D. Archuleta wants to or not, it is is choice. It is not "Double Standards," Which we all have Freedom to say, do, act. It has nothing to being religious. All are equal in GODS EYES, maybe not in human, but that why we are here and he is there. I served a mission and sang, but, I am no better than anyone else. If David decides to go on a mission it is "HIS CHOICE." Now I have no vocal cords, but I sing in my heart, etc.

• irishdraco
    May 21, 2008 11:07 a.m.

Donny and all his brothers served missions, not just the stage that one writes, so I do understand what one can say if they don't know the family. As Osmonds are cousins and I attend all of their mission calls and the home comings...

• Caroline
    May 21, 2008 10:26 a.m.

David Archuleta worked hard, sing really well and a great example of an innocent, pure, simple, straightforward, clean looking young teen. Way to go David A. We need to see more of you. I don't watch the AI but I did cast my vote because of David A, I watched the two Davids on youtube and I like the David A better without even looking at their faces and surfing on other channels.

• FELLO MURRAYRITE
    May 21, 2008 9:50 a.m.

GREAT JOB LAST NIGHT AS WELL AS ALL THE OTHER PERFORMANCES- YOU ARE AWESOME AND VERY TALENTED!

• Re: anonymous1
    May 21, 2008 9:43 a.m.

you know nothing , it sounds like you should be taking your own advice...

This is free speech you idol worshipper. Maybe you should stand outside david's house and ask him to take you to prom, sounds like you need one.

• exactly Anonymous1...
    May 21, 2008 9:23 a.m.

Everyone should read a boook and get a life instead of watching American Idol. What a waste of time. If people spent their time (other than 4 hours voting on AI?!?) reading the scriptures and praising local church choirs they will see that everyone is an "idol" and not just teenie bopper David Archuleta. Where was all the praise when he was singing in church? You guys are disgusting that the only way one gets praise is by being on television.

• Anonymous1
    May 21, 2008 2:26 a.m.

Anonymous1 to Anonymous...

Go watch the Simpsons and stop complaining.

Find the OFF switch. Read a book.

Listen to Public Radio

Get a life!!

• JoAnn
    May 20, 2008 11:38 p.m.

I am extremely grateful for David's talents. He touches hearts with his profound love of music. He has been an instrument for good and righteousness simply by who he is, a great and humble example. I hope that you can let him know I appreciate his life and his living so that it is very apparent that he has loyalty to Christ. I can see it in his countenance and in his eyes. He is living right, I know that there are all kinds of comments and all kinds of attitudes, but my love for his singing has increased with each time I hear him. And I pray for him. If there could ever be a person to look up to, why not him? America could use more young men like him, really the world could. I applaud his goodness and his ability to let his light shine. I write songs and wish I could write a song for him. I have never had anything published, but still love to do it and it would be great to hear him sing it. He could make anything sound good, so that would make it all the more fun.

• ARGGGGGGG!!!!!
    May 20, 2008 11:31 p.m.

How do some of you people look in the mirror and not want to puke? I am amazed at what cruel things people will say, do you have no respect for people's feelings?

Carmon, thank you for the insight, I felt this was a very interesting article by you, that you have been asked by the Deseret News to do. I do hope that David A will become more comfortable talking to people after 500 interviews. I know that my daughter could play the piano in front of hundreds of people, but not speak, I am the opposite, I love to talk, don't ask me to sing or play in front of people.

I really enjoyed tonight with David A, I felt like the David A that I really enjoyed was back. I also would hope that he will do some LDS and inspirational music after he does his 1st CD that will probably be directed towards the teenys. I will be watching to see what he comes up with and he will improve in the next five years, can you "Imagine", oh, that was bad. :)

• Anonymous
    May 20, 2008 10:45 p.m.

Every time I hear David Archuleta sing I cringe. The same face, the same boring voice, the same gestures. BORING. Mute the tv and replay all of his performances...they're all the same! BORING. I don't think Davie can handle the road. He'll be trampled when all the pre-teens run over him.

• Lynn
    May 20, 2008 10:45 p.m.

People can serve a mission with their music. Look at Gladys Knight and the choir she started, The Saints Unified Voices, in Las Vegas. President Hinckley requested that she do something with her musical talent, and she did. I bought their CD, "One Voice," and it's obvious she has a very strong testimony, and she also shares her testimony in a video on their web site. I'm sure she and her choir are reaching many people with the gospel. Isn't that the definition of a mission? Reaching people with the message of the gospel of the Restoration, the gospel of Jesus Christ?

• Anjali
    May 20, 2008 10:22 p.m.

Every time I heard David Archuleta sing, I was in tears, my heart was beating and I felt inspired, aware as I never have been. I agreed with Paula Abdul's every comment in his final songs, moved to the limit where she was speechless. Love you David. I wish you every success and everlasting victory.

• Mission
    May 20, 2008 7:46 p.m.

I feel that David Archuleta IS serving a mission of example whenever he sings and where ever he goes. Just look at Donny Osmond...he was successful and didn't serve a standard mission but WAS, and continues to be a great example of LDS standards. Missions are served in numerous ways whether you are a sports star or in a political figure. If he can inspire people through music than let him use his God given talent in ways that are best suited for him as a person. Dont put everyone in a mold. Good luck to both Davids tonight.

• susan -re:mission
    May 20, 2008 7:45 p.m.

David has shown America a shining example of an LDS youth.i think his mission has already been completed.I wish his father would also show a good example to America if he is a memeber.

• Steve - Re: Mission
    May 20, 2008 5:38 p.m.

Whatever. But really, he can't serve a stateside LDS mission at the age of 19. 2 years from now his fame will not have faded enough I'm sure. I'd specifically request that I be sent someplace that nobody knew who I was if I were him, otherwise you'd never know if someone is taking the discussions because they want to or just to be in contact with "that American Idol guy/winner" (same goes for the baptisms he does)... and I'm sure the church knowing who he is would honor such a request (as it's logical).

• Mission
    May 20, 2008 4:50 p.m.

Why not let him decide with his bishop... and then support what ever decision he makes? Now there's an idea!

• Wrong "idol"
    May 20, 2008 4:19 p.m.

David A. is a bad example of "American Idol" He should protest against the show because the only idol in our lives should be Christ.

• AMEN
    May 20, 2008 3:54 p.m.

I am an RM and I can tell you that that title means nothing. I love how Mission? put it. Just because someone is a good example does not mean that they have an excuse not to go on a mission. I think that every person should consider a mission but consider and serve are two entirely different things. And yes the double standard needs to stop. A mission will help any person that really tries to grow and learn an serve but I saw many missionaries that went becuase their girl friends said they wouldn't marry them unless they did or because all their friends were going or because everyone else in theiry family went or just because someone else expected them to and you can definately see a difference in those from the ones that wanted to be there serving because it was their desire and not someone else's. If he goes hopefully he goes because it is what he wants to do and because other people want him too or think he should. If he doesn't then well that is his decision.

• Um, Steve?
    May 20, 2008 3:03 p.m.

Don't count on little David's interview skills to vastly improve anytime soon. He's way to paralyzed on stage (when he's not singing) to offer anything other than an "Oh my gosh" or "I don't know." I like his singing, but his personality seems rather bland. I think it's stagefright, and he really should be over it by now.

I think Carmen is pretty well spoken. And I'm sure she's the former Idol who's easiest to get a hold of.

• Mission?
    May 20, 2008 1:57 p.m.

Ever notice how all the famous Mormon "celebrities" get a cop-out of serving a mission because they do more good by the "examples they set"?

What a joke. I personally disagree with the attitude that missions are the right choice for everyone, and I hate the attitude that a title of RM somehow makes you a better person.

But seriously, if Mormons are going to echo that refrain then they should stick with it. Enough with the double standard.

• Steve - Good luck on a Mission
    May 20, 2008 1:33 p.m.

The after effects I see for Archuleta...

Good luck trying to serve an LDS mission now David. Even if he loses and chooses not to release a CD (don't see that happening at all) I doubt very much that his fame will have dropped enough in just 2 years from now for him to go un-recognized... that is unless they purposely send him to some third world country that doesn't get "American Idol" on their TV.

But send him anywhere stateside or where the show is shown and he'll get people "interested" in hearing about the church just so they can meet with and talk to him.

Should he have success (win or loose) with his first CD and has continued success for years to come, he'll probably have to settle for what Donny Osmond did... NOT going on a mission and working his celebrity to his advantage (reaching a much wider audience with the example he sets and places he gives speaches), he could reach more people as a celebrity than he would on a regular 2 year mission anyhow.

But then he has until he's 27 to go, maybe his fame will fade enough by then.

• Diana
    May 20, 2008 1:26 p.m.

I think David Archuleta has an awesome voice and he is a very humble young man. He has a future win or lose. And for those who dont want him in their ipod thats ok cause there are plenty of us who already have in our ipod and i am not a teenage girl. I am a married woman with children. so there is more than just teenagers who are fans. GO DAVID A. GO

• Steve - Why Carmen?
    May 20, 2008 1:24 p.m.

Here we go YET again... the media turning to Carmen for questions as part of this story. Why her? Seriously. There are how many other contestants who have been on the show over the years and they choose her? OK, it's probably her Utah connection (they figuring we wouldn't be interested in anyone else's thoughts but hers... to which I disagree, there were other much more popular ones whom I'd have liked to hear from instead).

Really, I think the well has pretty much been run dry when it comes to Carmen... what new viewpoint can she possibly share now?

Hopefully David Archuleta's interview skills improve so the media will have no qualms about adopting a new "turn to" person... one whom we're long over due in need of.

• to Umm..
    May 20, 2008 12:52 p.m.

But that's just hear say right?

That's funny because other critics say the only reason she made it as far as she did is because of her home-town support. Which is it. Maybe, just maybe it was becuase people really actully did like her.

• Julie A.
    May 20, 2008 12:35 p.m.

David Archuleta has come a long way on American Idol. I love his voice and everything about him. I have no doubt that he will continue to handle his new found fame with the same style and grace he has always had. He is a very unique and special individual. I certainly join many in wishing him all the best.

• Um...?
    May 20, 2008 11:36 a.m.

"People actually treated me differently. They almost kept me at arm's length, like, 'Oh, she's a celebrity now so we can't talk to her.' It was really odd."

Hmm...actually I grew up in B-town, and knew people at WX, and heard that she was quite the stuck up snob at Woods Cross and that few who actually knew her were cheering for her on Idol.

But hey, if saying it's because of your fame makes you feel better, then best of luck.

• agreewithMatt
    May 20, 2008 9:38 a.m.

David A would be stumbling all over the place with his eyes closed when he's singing "Whole New World".
    He is not an "Idol", just to the teen girls. Notice every picture on this article has Davie WITH HIS EYES CLOSED! Maybe he dosen't want to see the underage girls when he sings.

• Andy
    May 20, 2008 9:27 a.m.

Carmen has handled her success very well. Sure she didn't make it as far as David, but she has done so much after idol. I've seen her on about every national TV program there is and it's good to see that she still has her feet on the ground. She seems like a good and very talented girl.

• To anonymous
    May 20, 2008 9:26 a.m.

So I guess when the D-News called her to do the interview she should have turned it down so she doesn't look like she's trying to hold on to her "15 monutes of fame." Some people complain just for the sake of complaining.

• Matt
    May 20, 2008 9:19 a.m.

David's a good singer. He has the best pipes out of the whole group. BUT...he would be a great Disney cartoon singer. He is not a pop singer. I can just imagine him singing "Whole New World" from Aladdin as his final song and it would be perfect because that is where is great voice belongs. Maybe Broadway but not my iPod.

• To Anonymous
    May 20, 2008 8:50 a.m.

Carmen was asked whtat she thought, so she answered the questions. Get over your bitterness, go outside, and enjoy the nice weather. You'll feel better.

• Anonymous
    May 20, 2008 8:46 a.m.

Sounds like Carmen is still trying to hang on to her 15 minutes of fame. She wasn't even in the finals! Who cares what she thinks!

• Davida
    May 20, 2008 8:34 a.m.

I love David. I want to marry David. Love, Davida.

• Bob
    May 20, 2008 7:04 a.m.

Carmen Whomussen?

• AI Fan
    May 20, 2008 7:04 a.m.

Mya the best "David" win

• AI Fan
    May 20, 2008 7:01 a.m.

Mayt the besst "David" win.

• Anonymous
    May 20, 2008 6:55 a.m.

It sounds like Rasmussen has handled her fame very well. It's nice to see her still be a normal person...refusing to sign autographs for cousins! Way to go!