Huckabee says he would like to be McCain's No. 2

• You'll be sorry if I go.
    May 19, 2008 12:56 a.m.

If either Clinton or Obama are elected I am going to leave the country just like Alec Baldwin, Eddie Vedder, Pierre Salinger, and Babs vowed to do if Bush were elected.

Did I dream that or did it happen?

• Rocky Road
    May 19, 2008 12:48 a.m.

This election is like going to Baskin-Robbins and finding out all they have in the freezer is Vanilla, French Vanilla, Canadian Vanilla, and Vanilla Lite.

If you don't like Vanilla you don't have much of a choice.

I don't like Vanilla.

• From Arizona
    May 19, 2008 12:17 a.m.

I do not care who McCain selects as his VP, I won't vote for them. Neither do I care who wins beteween Clinton or Obama, I will not vote for either of them either.

I will vote for the only hope we have of saving our rights and freedoms as Americans - Charles Baldwin from the Constitution party. I just wonder how long it will take for Utahns and the rest of America to wake up and see that neither party has the answers to our problems.

• shawilli
    May 18, 2008 11:45 p.m.

I will cast my one vote for Obama if a McCain/Huckabee ticket is the only choice in November. I don't care who is on the ticket, there are some very tough hard lean years ahead for this nation, and if the prophets and leaders of the Mormon Church have it right, which I have a feeling they do...things are only going to get worse. I recall a little verse of scripture that reads...blessed is the nation whose God is The Lord...this nation is rapidly rejecting God as the foundation of this nation, the resulting moral decline will only bring about crisis after crisis, the hearts of the people grow harder and the nation grows more evil. We now hear of Wars and rumors of war, soon we shall have natural disasters of almost unheard of intensity. The new President who ever they are will have to be prepared for some very hard times ahead, God help us all.
    Shawilli

• Eek!
    May 18, 2008 11:38 p.m.

McCain with Huckleberry? Another nightmare... It's actually us people voting for them in the first place where they are now. We need more people to come out and vote, not complain! Complaining doesn't get us anywhere, voting can! I didn't care for both parties, I'd vote for third party which I've done every four years because i knew they were troubles!

• Bryan
    May 18, 2008 11:21 p.m.

Maybe a McCain/Clinton ticket? She was a Republican once upon a time.

• Abbott & Costello???
    May 18, 2008 10:31 p.m.

Just when you thought it was safe to get back into the political muddy water the Huckster comes up with this one! You really and truly have to feel sorry for McCain. First he has to follow the Wilting Bush by being the same and different at the same time. Then on top of this ridiculous scenario, he has the Great Huckster trying to be the jester to the professed straight man. Cant wait for the movie to come out, Abbott and Costello goes to Washington!!

• Anonymous
    May 18, 2008 10:13 p.m.

I agree with those who believe Utah could vote for Obama if Huckabee is on the Republican ticket. What with McCain's mother's hatred towards Mormons together with Huckabee's, as well as McCain's indifference, why not?

• Lewt
    May 18, 2008 10:11 p.m.

Obama/Romney? Sounds as appealing as adding raisins to your clam chowder, not to mention making Romney the king of ALL floppers, all time. Doug's been reading too many political thrillers.

• Eugene
    May 18, 2008 9:56 p.m.

Hucksters prey on old people. Huckabee would prey on McCain. See the connection?

Anything less than Romney on the ticket will send the general election solidly into an Obama win!! Sad to say since I am a diehard conservative Republican!

• Jon
    May 18, 2008 9:55 p.m.

Hey Umm...Big picture! Pull your head out of the sand! Why would McCain need Huckleberry Hound to win the southern bigoted states? All they need to know is that Obama is on the ticket and the majority of low income blue collar whites will vote for whoever is running against him.

How appealing can Huckleberry be if he is pulling 1/3rd of the "conservative christian" votes in many states (even less in some states).

Appealing?? More like Appalling! If you didn't get a clue from his NRA wisecrack, I'm afraid you never will. Huckacheese is about as appealing as a rabid raccoon steak marinated in moonshine with all the fixins.

• Ernest T. Bass
    May 18, 2008 9:55 p.m.

Not that I would have voted for McSame anyway, but if this happens the White House will belong to the Dems for the next eight years.....so, let's see that it happens.

• Typical...
    May 18, 2008 9:36 p.m.

Politicians. Now it's time brown nose the guy huh? No wonder Politics is dirty business. The greed for power...

• Anonymous
    May 18, 2008 9:25 p.m.

Is Huckleberry I mean Huckabee that anxious of power? He doesn't care how but he wants to be in the White House? well, he can, he can be a janitor there.

• Through the back door!
    May 18, 2008 9:22 p.m.

With McCains age, who wouldn't want to be VP. You could get the presidency by default knowing that you couldn't do it with the popular vote. There is not one that I trust anymore.

• Obama Scarey
    May 18, 2008 9:12 p.m.

Anonymous is right. We should all be united in one thing...keeping Obama OUT of office. His socialist policies should have us all shaking in our booties. I can't imagine how he has fooled so many people. Change for the worse is not the kind of change we need. Plus, I like my paycheck, I don't want to part with any more of it.

• Doug S
    May 18, 2008 8:42 p.m.

Guys, calm down. Romney is the kingmaker in this. He was the one who bowed out of the race more or less gracefully and handed his delegates to McCain, virtually clinching McCain's nomination and ending a primary that could easily become as ugly and damaging to his party as the Democratic one has been.

And Romney and Huck are blood enemies. No way is Romney going to sit back and let Huck take the VP seat--even if Romney doesn't want it himself.

Mike Huckabee will never be McCain's running mate. McCain's debt (and that of the party, really) to Romney is too great.

(By the way, as long as we're talking about cross-party veeps--how about an Obama-Romney ticket?)

• Anonymous
    May 18, 2008 8:40 p.m.

If Huckabee is on the ticket with MaCain, I will vote for Obama. This will be the first time I vote for a Democrat.

• Anonymous
    May 18, 2008 8:31 p.m.

Who cares what Utah thinks or how it votes?

• Anonymous
    May 18, 2008 8:17 p.m.

I think Utah is smarter than to vote for Obama who is an economic populist, almost entirely socialist, like Hugo Chavez of Venezuela. But I could see Utah turning to the Constitution Party.

• McCain/Huckabee
    May 18, 2008 8:11 p.m.

I seriously see Utah voting for Obama with a McCain/Huckabee ticket.

• Naperville
    May 18, 2008 8:08 p.m.

Anyone but Huckasleaze! Everytime I see his Gomer Pyle grin on TV, I want to jump right through the screen and sock him into outer space. I cannot stand that man! Because he was so malicious towards the Mormons, he will divide the country, the Republican Party, the Mormons vs. Evangelicals! Huckabee scares me.

• Not from Utah
    May 18, 2008 8:01 p.m.

I like many Mormons will jump the Republican ship if the Huckster is made VP.

All political polls show that the Evangelicals will vote for whoever they are told to and so there is no need to bring in an Evangelical to shore up the ticket.

I would suggest going as far left as reasonable if I were McCain. Obviously someone younger (not hard to do) and with a softer tone. A Dan Quail without the Evangelism and without the stupidity.

• dan
    May 18, 2008 7:30 p.m.

Huckabee scares me. True, he'd unite the country against the travesty of incompetence that is today's GOP, but why risk it? If our fellow citizens can elect Bush twice, they could easily exercise their stupidity again.

• Arizonan
    May 18, 2008 7:28 p.m.

Look up "slick" in the dictionary and you'll notice they replaced the picture of Bill Clinton with one of Mike Huckabee. McCain loses my vote if Huckabee is his VP. There are so many other equally uneducated people who are better qualified.

• MoJules
    May 18, 2008 7:26 p.m.

I never thought I would want Hillery, I can't stand to listen to McCain, he is a traitor to the Republican party. But here is my logic.

Obama, is so out of touch, he would get this country in a world of trouble. They guy can't tell who is the good guy or the bad guy, maybe because his own wife is one of the bad guys. Obama first seemed very charming, but now he seems stupid and we can kiss our money goodbye if he is president.

McCain, he is so full of himself, he seems to have taken over the superiority complex from Obama. McCain will probably be not that far from Hillary in judges and the war and the economy. McCain tells us what we want to hear and then turns around and tells someone else what they want to hear.

Hillery, I would rather have her for four years than Obama, I really think I want to let the Republicans lose this one and produce a candidate that we want the next time. Hillery, would not have as much power over the democrats that Obama would, so she would not cause as much damage.

• Stewart
    May 18, 2008 7:02 p.m.

Why not? They are both losers, because the conservatives in the Republican Party would see no difference between them and the Democratic ticket, whatever it may be. McCain is bad enough, but to add Huckabee would add insult to injury.

• Huckawhat?
    May 18, 2008 6:58 p.m.

Hillary is the next President. McHuck has no chance and Obama will fall.

• Umm... Big picture
    May 18, 2008 6:57 p.m.

Although I agree with many of the above posts regarding Huck's lack of priciples ect. People in Utah and surrounding states need to realizesome simple truths about "their" Republican party.

1) Nationally Huckabee is very appealing to the "Christian Conservatives" and far right wing. McCain is not very appealing to those voters, and Huck might just "shore up the base" for him.

2) McCain does not care about Utah or most other intermountain west states. He will win them all in November regardless of his running mate. Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada may be competitive. But all the protestations from Utah and Idaho will fall on deaf ears. McCain and the Republican party know you have sold your soul and they own you.

3) If you find the Huckster so unappealing, yet he appeals to so many in your party, maybe its high time you guys start really pay attention. The Far right tolerates the Mormons only as long as you continue to vote for them. They will never represent you or your ideals. Jesus Christ actually cared about his fellow man unlike the "Christian conservatives"

Please Wake Up: Vote for Obama.

• Blane
    May 18, 2008 6:54 p.m.

John McCain is bad enough, PLEASE don't add the Huck to the ticket.

No Mitt either or the Republicans could NEVER win, too many LDS haters out there.

• JIM LEWIS
    May 18, 2008 6:48 p.m.

Romney makes a lot more sense than Huckabee.If Huckleberry Huckabee is McCain's choice I will be voting Libertarian.

• Wow
    May 18, 2008 6:41 p.m.

If Huckabee is on the Republican ticket I, a fifth- generation, Mormon, Utahn and former Republican state delegate, vote for Obama UNLESS Obama puts Hillary on the ticket, in which case I write in Sponge Bob Square Pants and Squidward.

• Anonymous
    May 18, 2008 6:33 p.m.

If McCain is smart and plays the maverick he is suppose to be he will ignore Huckabee and take a long and serious look at Joe Liberman

• Anonymous
    May 18, 2008 6:02 p.m.

I think Obama should choose Huckabee for his VP. That would make my choice easy. I too am hoping that someday we'll have an election where I can gladly vote for someone rather than reluctantly vote against them.

• Mark
    May 18, 2008 5:55 p.m.

So what is new about this? Huckabee, has conspired with McCain, from the beginning. Right now I'd have to spew chunks just to vote for McCain, which I tenatively plan to do. But, with Huckabee on the ticket, I will vote third party instead.

• Anonymous
    May 18, 2008 5:47 p.m.

Go for it! Right out of Alice in Wonderland 'Through the Looking Glass," with McCain and Huckabee being the Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum of American politics. Bush already acts like he's on some kind of hallucigens looking through a mirror of his own image and making... Now all we need to make things crazier is Twiddle Dee (McCain) and Twiddle Dum (Huckabee) doing their nifty little dance that goes nowhere.

• Geezergary
    May 18, 2008 5:41 p.m.

The only people talking about the Huckster for veep are him, his new Hollywood agent and his pathetic cabal of religious bigots. He would be the final nail in the Republician coffin.

• Re: "Why Not?"
    May 18, 2008 5:20 p.m.

Oh I definitely agree: Huckabee can "untie" the Republican base. Presidents Clinton and Bush have basically re-christened this country the "Untied States" of America with their divisive politics (in the case of the former) and divisive policies (in the case of the latter).

I'm voting for Obama anyway, so I hope Huckabee does his best, if given the chance (I don't think the Democrats will get that lucky, actually). I would never vote for such a bigot in any case.

• Checkmate
    May 18, 2008 5:16 p.m.

If Obama tabs Hillary for veep McCain might be forced to go with Shuckabee to neutralize the Hillbilly vote.

• ST. George
    May 18, 2008 5:15 p.m.

I said there was no way I would vote for Obama, but Huckabee on the ticket means this Republican will not vote for McCain no matter who the Democrat is on the ticket.

• Slime Ball
    May 18, 2008 4:56 p.m.

Huckabee came out earlier and said if Romney is chosen as the VP running mate he would form a coalition against him. Huckabee is the biggest slime ball in the Republican party. I can't stand him, he's a sneaky low life that has the Christian right behind him. If he is chosen as the VP running mate I will vote Obama and by the way I'm not a Mormon.

• William F. Butler
    May 18, 2008 4:54 p.m.

If McCain selects Huckabee as hi running mate we'll see almost the entire Mountain West vote Democrat. McCain-Huckabee will further damage an already wounded (from self-inflicted wounds) Republican Party.

• Idaho Voter
    May 18, 2008 4:52 p.m.

Count me as another voter would completely write off McCain if Huckabee was his running mate. I too will not dishonor my ancestors who walked the plains to the Rocky Mountains to vote for a man who hates the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as much as he does. I'm coming around to President Obama.

• Rex-Kwon-Do
    May 18, 2008 4:49 p.m.

Please, don't run Mac and Cheese as the republican ticket.

Less and more solutions. Common sense over polical pandering!

• untie
    May 18, 2008 4:44 p.m.

To Why Not? (2:32 PM)

Maybe Huckleberry will "untie" the conservative base of the Re-Publican Party. Great Americans can only hope!

But wait! Huckleberry's comment about Obama was well received by the conservative base of the Re-Publican Party. Maybe Huckleberry is onto something here. Just imagine, if McCain wins and Huckleberry is the VP, we are only a heart beat away from having Huckleberry as the President of the United States of America.

Great Americans can only hope!

• Rico
    May 18, 2008 4:25 p.m.

I have to agree regarding the poor choice we're left with. I know some think it's throwing your vote away,(my vote, my right) but Alan Keyes and Ralph Nader are both running and, depending on which side you like your toast buttered, either looks more attractive than this bunch.

• Indiana
    May 18, 2008 4:03 p.m.

My vote is still for Mitt... I don't care too much for McCain. This week, he mentioned a timeline for getting the US out of Iraq... this is the very thing he tried to crucify Mitt about and on top of it all, HE LIED about it... The wrong person has the nomination... pity America!

Mitt is a great man and would get my vote any day! If McCain should choose Mitt, I would be there to work for them as hard as I could... If he does not, it is most likely that I will write in Mitt...

I would not, could not vote for the man who said such awful things as Mr. Huckabee said about the LDS church and its people... NEVER will I go against so many who gave so much for this gospel by way of voting for someone with so much hate as he has in his heart... nope!

• AMEN
    May 18, 2008 3:57 p.m.

Huckabeeeeee. pukeabeeeeeee......

I too would love to have someone on the ticket I want to vote for, instead the better of TWO EVILS to choose from....

Huckabee and McCain..... hummmmm if that is the case welcome in a democrat president.....

• bob carlisle
    May 18, 2008 3:55 p.m.

the democrats might take idaho, utah, and some other strong republican states if huckagarbage is on the ticket. and the headlines will say how like obama is when it is all said and done. sad,sad,sad, our leaders next year will be obama, reid, and pelosi! we want mike leavitt for vp. not some polarizing weirdo. mccain is bad enough

• Religious Bigot for VP--hope not
    May 18, 2008 3:54 p.m.

A life-long Republican but will happily vote Dem if Huckabee is on the ticket.

• Uh, no.
    May 18, 2008 3:40 p.m.

Stupid comments aside, in Huckabee we have a man with an indecipherable foreign policy and horrible records for fiscal restraint and handling the criminal element in his own home state. It's not just one dumb comment - it's a lousy record for years that steers me away from him.

I join the chorus that will vote DNC if Huckabee is not the ticket. I'll have to hold my nose either way to vote this year - at least this would have the hope of knocking some sense into the GOP.

• McCain
    May 18, 2008 3:19 p.m.

I'm sure the AP who wrote the story would love that. Barack Obama may be our next president.

• Kyle from AZ
    May 18, 2008 3:16 p.m.

Lets see what the Huckster has to offer McCain....still looking....still thinking...well he did outfundraise my local girl scout troop, but not by much. Evidently evangelicals love to open their mouths but not their wallets. Sorry Huck McCain needs $$$ not a degree in miracles (oh yea that didn't happen either).

• Just Musing
    May 18, 2008 3:09 p.m.

Bob Bechtel, Fox News contributor and strong apologist for Obama and Clinton, is constantly disparaging and making fun of Mitt Romney for expressing an interest in the Republican V.P. slot. Let's see if he treats Huckleberry the same. Both Huckleberry and Mitt have earned the right to be seriously considered as John McCain's running mate. A am a life-long Republican and vote in every election but I doubt if I will vote for McCain regardless of who he chooses. I absolutely will not vote for Bob Barr. Bechtel, the Democrat strategist, is hopeful that his anti-Mitt rhetoric will damage him because he knows Mitt would be a strong V.P.candidate. Bechtel thinks he is very clever, but his motives in disparaging Romney are crystal clear.

• Martha
    May 18, 2008 2:58 p.m.

You got that right, Huck. It won't be the last stupid thing you do. You were the only candidate worse than McCain, and you would kill any chance McCain has. I guarantee, you are not on his list at all.

The comment was poetic justice, though. Just give this man a little more rope, please.

• NotNow NotEVer
    May 18, 2008 2:58 p.m.

I could not vote for McCain if he chooses Huckabee.

• What's his story?
    May 18, 2008 2:56 p.m.

Unbelievable. Slams Romney, slams Mormons, and wants to be VP to bring the country together. No thank you.

• ralf
    May 18, 2008 2:55 p.m.

Huckabee is an idiot. His being on the ticket is another reason to jump ship and go with the Democratic ticket.

• GOP is DOA
    May 18, 2008 2:53 p.m.

Doug,

The democrats haven't lost in the last four election running against republican in states like Mississippi. Utah is very insular. Other states lack the authoritarian leadership the pushes for one party rule that defines politics in Utah.

Outside Utah, people find it easier to admit they where wrong. People feel it was wrong to put all their eggs in a basket that dropped when it came to the life of the average American.

I'm a vet. I never thought I would hear of my army ordering women soldiers to watch sex acts. Then, the moral conservatives rationalized it.

With food increasing in cost, expensive gas and no health care, gay marriage seems trite.

• JustCAn'tDoIt!!
    May 18, 2008 2:50 p.m.

I will vote for John McCain only if he chooses anyone but Mike Huckabee. Otherwise forget it.

• Ordained Brown-noser
    May 18, 2008 2:34 p.m.

Wow! Sounds like Huckleberry may be an even BIGGER suck-up than Romney!

• Why not?
    May 18, 2008 2:32 p.m.

Huckabee can untie the conservative base. Why should the majority of conservatives get to vote for someone who shared their beliefs? It's democracy.

• Eean, FL
    May 18, 2008 2:30 p.m.

Huckabee: "It wasn't the first dumb thing I've ever said. And ... it won't be the last dumb thing I've ever said."

That's right! Saying you want to be John McCain's VP is proof of that. As if we wanted this presidential race to be even more ridiculous than it already is.

With our current presidential choices, my vote is going to be cast for the candidate that I think will be least worst as president. Huckabee, the ordained Baptist minister, on the McCain ticket drives McCain even lower into the barrel for me.

• Anonymous
    May 18, 2008 2:27 p.m.

Has any other presidential campaign in history featured two men as slick as Barry Obama and Mike Huckabee? Unlikley, I would think. They could sell ice to an eskimo and water to a drowning man.

I hope McCain makes Huckabee his VP nominee. Then maybe a genuine conservative will be inspired to run an independent campaign.

• Conejo
    May 18, 2008 2:24 p.m.

I am on the fence on who I would vote for between MCain and Obama. I slightly favor MCain right now. If MCain picks Huckabee I might vote for a Democrat for the first time. Huckabee is exactly the type of person who I don't want to have more power.

• Anonymous
    May 18, 2008 2:16 p.m.

If McCain picks Huckabee for his running Mate; I'm voting for Obama.

• ugh!
    May 18, 2008 2:05 p.m.

If this election year could get any worse, that would do the trick.

doug is right...hope McCain realizes that and makes a choice that will make it easier to vote against either of the current dem candidates.

Someday I hope for an election year that I can vote FOR someone, instead of the best choice available.

• doug
    May 18, 2008 1:20 p.m.

Yes!!! Yes!!!! Yes!!!!

It would solidify democrat gains all over the country. Solid demo sweep!!!!

Please, give us our wish: Huck and John!!! Two losers.

(PS Sorry Huck, McCain isn't that stupid!!!)

• Oh Great
    May 18, 2008 12:56 p.m.

So Huckabee says he wants to be McCain's #2. I'll bet he would.