4A high school girls basketball: Blanchard to coach Mountain View girls

• BLANCHARD is the BEST!
    May 25, 2008 10:35 p.m.

Coach Andrew Blanchard is the best person at basketball that I've ever seen in my life! Andrew is my good friends, and he is definately my favorite Coach ever! He has been Coaching me (a girl) for 2 years now, and I can say that he is the best Coach in the World, and he is better than anyone else! I've seen him Coach both boys and girls, and he is amazing at it all! He will be the best thing that ever happens to the Mountain View girls, and they are so lucky to have him! Good luck Drew, you're the best!

• Crazy
    May 25, 2008 1:10 p.m.

This is crazy that so many people think they need to give their opinion about this. I think that every INDIVIDUAL needs to be coached differentely. Boys and girls isn't the issue...its individual people that matters. You may coach one boy completely differently than you would coach another boy...same goes for how you would coach one girl as opposed to another girl or boy at that. Seriously, people need to get over posting negative remarks about others until they have reason to back it up. Blanchard will be a great coach...and he will be a great coach whether it is boys or girls or whether the program is already good or absolutely awful! More power to the MV girls team for a great new start!

• Girl B-ball player? Really?
    May 17, 2008 2:28 p.m.

i feel sorry for you too... if your coaches didn't push you hard enough...
    But it does matter who's playing. and if a coach thinks that there isn't ny difference, they are wrong.

and I don't think the new coach needs to worry about "building" a winning program, I think MV has won a few games and has a pretty good tradition for him to build onto...

• Girl Basketball Player!
    May 17, 2008 10:48 a.m.

Sure girls and boys are coached differently, but for what? maybe because girls are slower and can't jump as high. well maybe girls need more coaches that will push them to the next level. I know as a girl I would of loved my high school coach to not worry about my feelings and push me harder. These Mountain View girls are very lucky. Basketball is basketball, it doesn't matter who is playing it or it shouldn't at least.

• boys and girls are different
    May 16, 2008 9:10 p.m.

i don't think anyone is questioning his coaching experience, or qualifications, but... if YOU (or anyone else) think that you coach girls the same way as you coach boys you are wrong.

• Change is GOOD!
    May 16, 2008 6:31 p.m.

Having known Coach Blanchard professionally and personally for many years I echo the above sentiments. Andrew has thrived in his coaching position at West Jordan High School. He is a fierce competitor and has an unmatched passion for the game of basketball, boys or girls. He was the ultimate competitor as a high school and collegiate athlete and will only elevate the program for Mt. View high school. He has been taught by one of Utah's best coaches in Briggs and will certainly build one of the best girls basketball programs with the talent at Mountain View. Congrats Mountain View players and parents on a BIG hire for your program.

• Blanchard Fan Club!
    May 16, 2008 5:35 p.m.

To the people who have doubts about Coach Blanchard being able to take on a girls program: Not only will he take on this "girls" program with SUCCESS, but he will bring his knowledge of the game and competitive nature to build the program to championship status. Whether boys or girls...you still dribble, pass, and shoot the same way. Coach Blanchard will be sorely missed by the Jaguar community and the Bruins should welcome him with open arms.

And, just a thought...lets give this great coach and all around awesome man a chance before we put him down! GOOD LUCK COACH BLANCHARD, Good Luck Mountain View Girls, and best wishes to Coach Romo.

• MV Parent - Fan - Supporter
    May 16, 2008 3:45 p.m.

ex-Coach Romo and the other coaches have prepared the team for coming years.
    Mountain View has a good solid core of girls coming back next year and should be able to compete with anyone next season... Coach Blanchard has had some success with the boys, I'm hoping he knows (or learns quick) how to coach girls.
    We'll miss coach Romo, Carolina's gain is our loss.

• Jaguar Fan
    May 16, 2008 2:27 p.m.

Who is this guy? Let me tell you - he is a guy who will be able to take the girls at Mountain View to the level that they used to be.....but he will do it without recruiting anyone and playing by the rules. He is very knowledgeable about the game, has a passion for what he is doing, and Mountain View is lucky to be getting him. He has been a huge part of all of the winning seasons that have taken place with the West Jordan High Boys' program and the state championship appearance in 2005 - and the Jaguars are going to miss his influence. Good luck to Coach Blanchard as he enters his head coaching career. The Mountain View community should be grateful - they just landed one heck of a coach.

• Concerned parent
    May 16, 2008 11:32 a.m.

Who is this guy? Has he ever coached girls before? Good luck girls! I hope you do well in the post Romo era.