Parker just 'normal' kid, dad says

• T
    June 27, 2008 12:42 a.m.

One more note... I hope they get enough money to reimburse them for the money they took paying bail and other crap. They should be given money for pain and suffering and time lost fighting. They at least deserve a public appology from Primary Childrens, DCFS, and the Dr. who needed the study candidates!!!!

Thank you Parkers for standing up for your rights, and ours! Much Love and respect.
    T

• T
    June 27, 2008 12:35 a.m.

I think that we are missing the point that the Jensens wanted to seek other opinions, not refused him any treatment other than from Primary Childrens. They have every right to figure out a plan and take the time to evaluate and study, I don't see the harm in that, and by doing this they ended up with a Dr. that turned them in because he needed their son in a study... Correct me if I am wrong here, but there is something really really wrong with this. I don't care where this Dr. works, I would like to know if he is still at primary childrens (Which I believe is a great hospital, my brother has seen Dr.s there for a long time). I would like to know if this Dr. is being evaluated, and questioned, and if Primary Childrens has kept him on. I don't think he should still be there, and he is someone I will avoid like the plague if anything ever presents itself. I would also like to say, my own personal review of DCFS in UT is horrifying. I have been sickened at the injust crap that comes from this State Child Protection.

• Cancer Daddy
    May 25, 2008 1:56 p.m.

To: anonymous

Getting the "facts" from the Jensens' lawyers: what a brilliant way to get to the truth of this matter! Why didn't _I_ think of that?

Treating patients according to statistics: obviously a bad idea. What _was_ I thinking?
    As we all know, 73.3% of statistics are made up.

Next time, it's the ouija board for me.

I sounded "bitter"? I challenge you to find bitterness in my original post. Frustration, yes. Bitterness, no. (Shhhhh: the psychologists call that "projecting.") The only thing I'm bitter about--now--is your clumsy attempt to psychoanalyze me.

You are of course correct--for once (woo-HOO!)--about insurance companies (or Medicaid) paying for care on most pediatric cancer trials. But ponder this: would they fork over money for ineffective treatment? What's their motive?? Is it all part of some vast conspiracy??? My point--poorly made--was that doctors do not profit in any direct financial way from enrolling patients. Many of those who are upset about this case seem to think otherwise.

One last _real_ fact (is it on the lawyers' website?): childhood cancer survival rates get better every year. The credit goes to all those benighted, greedy, statistics-crazed, CV-obsessed doctors.

This is fun! Your turn!

• To: Cancer Daddy
    May 22, 2008 7:30 p.m.

Obviously you didnt read the facts about the Jensen Case. The facts are posted on their attorneys website at Christensen and Jensen. Besides, the brilliant scoreboard shows: Jensens-1, Specific PCMC Dr. = Big 0. If you want to treat your children on statistics...go right ahead. That is probably why you are bitter...now questioning your decision. Drs do profit from enrolling patients...just look at their CV's and all the publications they list. The more they have listed, the more they can ask. They write articles, books and other publications trying to add to their prestige. You cant tell me they do not profit. Also, NCI does not pay for trials, most patient have insurance which get the bill.

• JT
    May 19, 2008 10:14 a.m.

"Unless we put medical freedom into the Constitution, the time will come when medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship . . . to restrict the art of healing to one class of men, and deny equal privilege to others, will be to constitute the bastille of medical science. All such laws are un-American and despotic and have no place in a Republic . . . The Constitution of this Republic should make special privilege for medical freedom as well as religious freedom."

Dr. Benjamin Rush (signatory to the Declaration of Independence)

• Cancer Daddy
    May 17, 2008 10:39 a.m.

Whole lotta misinformation goin on round here. Don't you people check your facts?
    My daughter is one of 1000s (!) of long-term survivors of childhood cancer--in her case leukemia, now ten years off treatment. Straight-A student, tall and beautiful like her mom.
    Her odds were not good (I was told 15%), but there she is. Thanks to (dare I say it?) chemo.
    Sure, if she had had glioblastoma multiforme, she would be dead now. Cancer is many diseases, not one. Hello??!!
    As a former Utah resident and strong supporter of PCMC, I have actually reviewed the public records of the PJ case closely (unlike many posters here, apparently). The diagnosis was _never_ disproven. The tumor _was_ malignant. The smart treatment statistically was exactly as recommended but never given. Parker got lucky. Good for him but don't make his parents out to be brilliant or his doctors, malevolent.
    MOST children are treated on clinical trials. That's why the outcomes keep getting better. The doctor does not "profit" from enrolling patients. The trials are mostly paid for by the NCI, not drug companies.
    I could go on but, in contrast to cancer, you can't cure stupid.

• Osler
    May 16, 2008 1:15 a.m.

RE: "A likely story" comment

You "caught them"?

The Jensen's have family in Idaho, they made a choice to go there on vacation.

• Spencer
    May 15, 2008 11:16 p.m.

Obviously the situation turned out for the best. No one is denying that.

The problem is that only the extraordinary cases get publicity. If Jensen really did have cancer this story would have died years ago.

But just because the Jensens accidentally made the right decision does not make it logical, wise, or moral. The odds are heavily set against people like the Jensens. Far more kids die each year from the kind of decisions that the Jenson parents made than live.

Just because you are parent does not mean that you are an expert in everything that effects your child. I hate government invasion but it is people like the jensens that show me that it is needed in extreme cases.

I find it hard to believe the conspiracy theories being propagated here. Do people actually believe that Primary is filled with medical personnel who are indifferent to killing people as long as they make a dollar or are able to complete a research project?

Did the United States invent Aids? Did Bush order the 911 attacks? Are you guys nuts!?

The picture being painted here is highly unrealistic.

• A likely story
    May 15, 2008 7:39 a.m.

"On vacation in Idaho?"

HAH! I caught them! NO ONE goes to Idaho by choice.

• Kay
    May 15, 2008 7:39 a.m.

I think Orwell's Nemesis has a good point, even if it is made with an unsupported accusation that the Jensen's were "abusive" parents. It raises the whole question of how much power ANY authority should be given over our individual lives and liberties. Although the LDS Church cannot "criminalize" behavior in the legal sense, I have seen people's lives ruined in every other way because local leaders of the Church TREATED people as if they were criminals! And on the other hand, too many people denounce the U.S. Government like they are just paranoid, and never give anyone representing the government the benefit of the doubt. As a foster parent, I have dealt with Departments of Family Services in two states, and every time I found them to be sincerely trying to do their best for the welfare of the children and families involved. Yes, they were 'human' - they don't claim to be "saints" - but they were GOOD human beings trying to do what is GOOD; NOT a bunch of conspiratorial, malicious monsters!

• Flawed Thinking
    May 15, 2008 2:07 a.m.

But if they weren't "ABUSIVE parents" as you call them, their child would most certainly would have been radiated until near death or he possibly would be dead.

You are not making a case in favor of child abuse are you, or was that your intention? And before making this post did you consider that many of the key players in wanting to take away this child from the Jensens are members of that church/religion you profess to hate, the LDS CHurch?

However, it seems there were some parallels in this story to religious stories, such as the two women who both went before Solomon claiming to be the parent of the same child, one was more than delighted at the prospect of cutting the child in half, much like those who rationalize it was right to take this child from the Jensens and radiate him. But where can you find leaders with the wisdom of Solomon in public office anymore?

• Mysixsons
    May 15, 2008 1:12 a.m.

to Orwell's Nemesis:
    1. I am a lawyer and the son of two Doctors, brother of two more and have the higest regard for the medical profession.
    2. yes, medical science has made amazing breakthroughs, including cures for some forms of cancer.
    3. the Jensens did not "use religious fanaticism as grounds for denying the best health treatments science has to offer" - they merely asked for an unbiased second opinion, sought surgical help, received it and had the original diagnosis PROVED WRONG!!!! How dare you judge them to be abusive parents! and on such a totally baseless allegation of falsehoods!
    3. the comparison between government leaders trying to force parents to do the wrong thing to their child under threat of using the power of the state to take him away from them and LDS folks being forgiving of errors made by Church leaders is intellectually vacuous at best. The coercive power of the state compared to voluntary religious activity? The Church does not (and has no power to) criminalize the behavior of anyone victimized by leaders mistakes. On the other hand, in this case the medical profession and the state tried to do exactly that.

• Re: Orwell's Nemesis
    May 15, 2008 12:13 a.m.

What are you babbling about?

This case had nothing to do with religious fanaticism or the Mormon church. The parents were actively seeking a second opinion and were pressured by PCMC to have Parker undergo chemo without delay. The original diagnosis was wrong. Read up on the story before you post your non-stop drivel. Im not LDS and certainly no apologist, but even I can see you have an obvious axe to grind. You're way off topic...do it someplace else.

• Dr.s are not the only cure.
    May 14, 2008 11:59 p.m.

I personally go to the Dr.s for my medical care, but I also believe in the value of alternative medicine. I have in years past, had about three experiences in Utah, where there was a positive alternative medical treatment, that was working, but the Dr.s chased them away. I don't know if homeopathic Dr.s are able to practice now in Utah, but the Dr.s don't like them. We once took my husband to and allergist that used the homeopathic techniques, my husband was hitting his head on things from sneezing, he was disabled, but I don't think he hardly sneezed again after the homeopathic treatment. Face it Doctor's, you are not perfect, and with the internet, people can find other options, I have been able to find out what is happening to me and tell my Dr, such as Reynoulds disease, it is where the fingers go white in the cold, kind of freaky, but the Dr had no clue, the internet did. I just wish that we could all co-exist and respect what each source has to offer.

• Orwell's Nemesis
    May 14, 2008 11:53 p.m.

The progress made in the treatment and cure (yes, CURE) of a number of cancers over the past several decades has been astounding. Parents such as the Jensens, who use religious fanaticism as grounds for denying the best health treatments science has to offer are ABUSIVE parents.

Granted, medical science is not perfect, and neither are the people who practice in that profession. what I find amazing is how LDS apologists (whom I consider to be relgious fanatics by definition) blame the "medical industry" and "doctors" in general, and "the government" for conspiring to take away their freedoms and money; but then these same people DEFEND their obviously flawed and error-prone Church leaders and their Church by saying "the Church is true, but the people aren't". Why can't you have that same attitude about medical science? That is, "medical science is true and good, but sometimes one or two doctors are NOT true and good." Or "the U.S. Government is true and good (having been established by inspiration from God), but sometimes one or two politicians are NOT true and good"??? I guess it all depends on what direction the rinse cycle spun when your brain was washed.

• Re: Spencer
    May 14, 2008 9:08 p.m.

Once you get someone on chemo what evidence do you have to show that there is cancer there in the frist place?

• Educate yourself
    May 14, 2008 9:08 p.m.

If you want to read the facts about the Jensen Story you can get their filing that was submitted to the Federal Court and read it yourself. It is posted on the website of Christensen&Jensen under the News tab.

• Anonymous...duh
    May 14, 2008 8:44 p.m.

To Anonymous,
    If you are diagnosed with a desease, the first question the comes to my mind is "How bad is it?". Thats what the Jensen's asked as they went to PCMC for help...duh. That doesnt tell me they declined a Drs. help. You sound like the type of person that takes your car in for an oil change, the mechanic says you need new brakes and an overhaul and you just write a check and go sit in the waiting room complimenting the mechanic for saving your life while he laughs all the way to the bank.

• Dear
    May 14, 2008 7:24 p.m.

I don't believe in no treatment, but have seen before one doctors oppinion effecting a second oppinion. Chemo is needed in many cases for the people to live, however it's a very strong and effective treatment for some cancers, it is a very invasive, aggressive and toxic treatment that harms the immune system and other cells besides the cancer cells, and sometimes there are other options. I think parents have a responsiblility to make sure they know about all treatments possible, and to ensure the treatment is needed, and not worse than the disease. Informed Treatment is important, sometimes parents or patients do actually know best, sometimes they don't, but it seems to have not been needed, in his case. This isn't the first or last case a Doctor has thought a treatment was needed that the child either lived fine without, or were harmed by the forced treatment. Sometimes it seems there are cases that wouldn't require court intervention. If the Doctors could work with the families as some manage, as a team, and let both find out what they need, the children would be better off, reguardless of what is decided, and used.

• Earl
    May 14, 2008 6:36 p.m.

You people are missing the point here!!
    At NO TIME was health care denied to this child. The diagnosis was questioned cause chemo without a cancer is a death sentence. The growth in his mouth WAS removed and found to be non-cancerous. Now what is the problem with you people??
    The diagnosis was completely wrong, the cure (surgical removal) was the correct choice.

• around the world
    May 14, 2008 6:35 p.m.

In Europe alternative treatments are being used successfully for all sorts of conditions. It scares me to see how this country is hooked to heavy pain killers and antibiotics. Often the cause of pain is a vitamin or mineral deficiency but doctors here are quick to prescribe pain killers without finding the source. Same with cancer, the harder the better without finding the source of stress that can cause cancer. Holistic medicine is working all over the world, just not in America. Not sure if the people are build different or the doctors have more influence in the pharmaceutical companies. (shareholders?)

• Re:Anon | 4:36 p.m.
    May 14, 2008 6:34 p.m.

My heart goes out to you for your loss. Though it was a medical error, I hope you take comfort in knowing that you as a parent did what you felt was best for your child. Peace.

• Wishing the Jensen's well!
    May 14, 2008 6:27 p.m.

>I think that is is all the parents fault, not dealing with their son in the right way, <

So Mr./Ms. Anonymous - you think it is all the parent's fault that their son Parker is alive and doing well? I couldn't agree with you more...

People who side with the state in this case remind me of mindless lemmings who lack the ability to see facts and think for themselves...

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 6:03 p.m.

I think that the whole Parker Jensen thing is a whole corp out, I followed that story the day it broke, I have to really Disagree with the parents, on their part, If you have a son /Daughter that is fighting any Diease, I think that you should get Imeadeitally DR. help ASAP I think where the parents declined to see professional help that is their problem, but how is a child going to get well if they do not seek Medical ATTN:. I think that is is all the parents fault, not dealing with their son in the right way,

• Anon
    May 14, 2008 6:00 p.m.

First-I believe Dr's are trying their best to find a cure for cancer. Yes, many cancer patients that go through chemotherapy and radiation do die in the end, but there are also many that live. Each case is different and it's down right stupid to put a blanket statement on what treatments do and do not work. Every case is different and I believe the vast majority of the time the Dr's are giving you advice that they would give their own child. And PCMC is a great hospital with caring Doctors and staff.

That being said, DCFS overstepped their boundaries in this case-as they do in several cases. I am saddened by how much control the government tries to have over parents and families. Yes, there are parents that don't care about their children and probably should not have control of their well-being. But, a vast majority of parents are good parents and will always try to do what is best for their children.

I am very glad that Parker is okay. I hope he continues to be healthy.

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 5:43 p.m.

Did the boy have a say in the decision, he is his own person. Maybe adults don't think much of a teenagers opinion.

• Good grief
    May 14, 2008 4:47 p.m.

I've got to agree with what just about everyone else is saying, that the state went too far. I don't think the doctor made up a diagnosis, but the whole reason for second opinions is that a diagnosis can be wrong, like this one was. Even if the doctor assumed it was right, he shouldn't have turned the Jensens in just for wanting to confirm it.

• Anon
    May 14, 2008 4:36 p.m.

My six year old son died due to a surgical error while under the care of the exceedingly competent medical staff at primary. I miss him every day. I also wonder if he really needed the recommended surgery.

• El Jefe
    May 14, 2008 4:36 p.m.

It's nice to see that it's the taxpayers who get hammered in this. I want to see the Jensen win but that just means it comes out of my back pocket because of idiot gov't workers. It's a lose-lose situation.

• Chemo is legal murder?
    May 14, 2008 4:33 p.m.

It's my opinion Chemotherapy and radiation treatments are legalized murder! What works: Read the China Study, The Cure for All Advanced Cancers, and watch, Cancer doesn't scare me anymore. Three witnessess! People undergoing cancer treatments arent in "remission" for very long. Their cancer always returns. Marie Curie died of Radiation poisoning! A neighbor's child died! My friends sister died. My sister-in-law died, with 99% of cancer patients like her dying within the first year. Thats not doctoring, thats quackery! Going through all these treatments for what? To empty the families pocket books, to increase insurance costs, to deform, agonize and embarrass the individual. Cancer survivors I've talked to virtually eliminated their intake of red meat. Quit eating red meat, simple carbs, sugar, artificial colors and flavors. Stop barbecuing and otherwise poisoning yourselves. Learn to eat right. Don't go to quack doctors who just enrich themselves by charging a mint for these unproven methods. Find out what their survival rate is. I've yet to see a cure for cancer. I don't believe there will be because cancer makes too much money! If given the chance, Id do a study, but if I succeeded youd never find my body! What'd Parker do?

• Sickening
    May 14, 2008 3:38 p.m.

I am sure that Primary's does many nice things for many people. But unfortunately the case of Parker Jensen is just one of many where the egotistical medical personnel at Primary's put themselves and their egos before their patients' health. Several different people I know have had doctors threaten them with state action if they inquired about other medical options for a child's condition.
    According to the Doctor's at Primary, they know all. Their option is the only option. Anything else is abuse.
    Unfortunately, Primary's is too much like a dictatorship. The naive posters above think they would be charged with medical malpractice "if they had really done anything wrong?" How laughable. They are the expert authority on pediatric practice for the region and have widespread influence. How could anyone provide expert testimony against them?Open your eyes people.
    Parker Jensen wasn't "lucky he survived," as some have said here - He was lucky he had parents who thought for themselves and wouldn't be bullied. The only bullet he dodged "Jud," was that his parents didn't follow the "competent medical professional" like dumb sheep. Doctors can make mistakes. Everyone knows that - except for the doctors at Primary's.

• A Provider
    May 14, 2008 2:02 p.m.

The Jensens have EVERY right to sue AND get compensation from the state of Utah and possibly from the Dr. to cover ANY and ALL legal expenses they incurred to defend their position! This probably had an impact on the Jensen's ability to provide for their family during this time as well-requiring a larger reward from the suit.

This is a major thing wrong with America-that ANYONE can take you to court for ANYTHING and you have to pay for your own defense even if you are innocent or the charges are untrue!

We need to be like other countries where the loser pays court costs and we would cut unneccesary legal suits dramatically!

• Common Sense
    May 14, 2008 1:43 p.m.

Any doctor that would resist a parent obtaining a second, third or even forth opinion is either trying to hide something or has an alterior motive. Why be afraid of another doctor's opinion? It could only serve to enlighten and perhaps even optomize the treatment of the patient.
    Any single doctor that tells a parent to "conform to the treatment I prescribe or I'll take your child away," is stepping way over the line, letting his ego get in the way of appropriate treatment. It is just as unwise for DCFS workers to accept only one opinion. Diagnosis is most often a game of probability, and additional opinions can only help lower the odds.
    The Jensens obviously have a case here. I hope they win it.

• Cerebus
    May 14, 2008 1:40 p.m.

Parker Jensen is still alive?

My, but that is a bit, well, akward, isn't it?

• Spike
    May 14, 2008 1:37 p.m.

The poor Jenesens didn't realize, Parker is not their child. He is the State's child.

There are no "parental rights"! Not in this country, and certainly not in this State. Not anymore!

Orwell would have said, "I told you so!"

• advocate
    May 14, 2008 1:22 p.m.

Its important to seek an independent second opinion and not divulge the details of the first. Otherwise, you cant be completely sure that the opinions are independent. A good doctor wont even ask about the diagnosis and recommended course of treatment that you received from other doctors, unless you are dragging your entire medical file in with you.

This whole thing was crazy and PCMC was to blame. At no time were the Jensens NOT seeking medical treatment for their son. He was being tested, he was under the care of an oncologist, and the parents were actively seeking other opinions. He had several test results that came back indicating that he did NOT have Ewings Sarcoma, yet doctors at PCMC continued to push their aggressive agenda and brought in DCFS.

Parents need to be advocates, not only for your children, but yourselves. I had a surgeon try to schedule me for major surgery without any concern for a second opinion or conduct any other tests that should have been performed. It all boils down to money. We should all make sure that we are very comfortable with the treatment options that have been offered before proceeding.

• Jud
    May 14, 2008 1:22 p.m.

I read Parker's story with great relief. I'm glad Parker dodged a bullet, but I'm also glad his parents are not mine. To this day I don't understand why his parents refused to take seriously the opinion of competent medical professionals. And the notion that they "couldn't" get a second opinion sounds bogus to me. Sorry, but I'm with DCFS on this one.

• saltlakegal
    May 14, 2008 1:19 p.m.

It is true that doctors can't always be trusted. They are human, allegations to the contrary aside. I do respect the rights of parents. Having said that, I recall the father in this case sounding pretty manipulative on television. I do not trust what this man has to say. I am glad that Parker is doing well. There are times when parents do not do their jobs. There are also times when treatment can have unintended consequences, which is what is happening now with my mother. She is suffering side effects from cancer treatment she received in 1965. They did not try to hurt her; they were trying to save the life of a young woman with six children under the age of nine.
    Bottom line-- explore every option, get more than one opinion, and remember no one is perfect-- including Gail Ruzicka, who got plenty of mileage out of the Parker Jensen case.

• Bad Parents
    May 14, 2008 1:06 p.m.

And are you guys defending the parents who "prayed" for their young daughter with diabetes until she died?

Nice alternative medicine.

• Eric
    May 14, 2008 12:55 p.m.

Now why does this sound so familiar ??

OH yes, the Texas CPS works the same way. LIE,CHEAT, DO WHATEVER IS NEEDED to beat the parents.
    This re-enforces the need for controlling the power of these organizations.

• Spencer
    May 14, 2008 12:55 p.m.

It is hard to think of the doctor's motivation for forcing a boy into chemotherapy. Why would he risk a malpractice lawsuit?

He wouldn't. He may be arrogant but he cannot be that stupid. Do you really think he would risk his license just so he could force a boy into participating in a medical study? Are you guys crazy!!

The parents sound pretty irrational. They knew nothing about medicine and they refused to treat their son's condition? That is crazy. 99% of the time their son would have died. They just got lucky.

Do you think all doctors are in some sort of conspiracy to force your son into treatment that he didn't need?

The state needs to intervene in these circumstances. There are always those nutcases that think that some holistic treatment will heal their son's cancer so they do not allow their kids to have surgury or medicine. Too many kids die from that each year. Kids should not die for their parents stupidity.

Most people on this board sound like Tom Cruise bashing psychology and promoting scientology.

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 12:50 p.m.

....later they found the Dr. involved needed enough people to do a study. All the patients had to have been on Chemo....

Drs. cannot always be trusted and any Dr. who hesitaites about second opinions needs to be questioned.

• A Parent
    May 14, 2008 12:47 p.m.

We don't live in Utah. We live in Nevada. We have a handicapped daughter with a seizure disorder. We used to travel to Utah for her to see her doctor though. She went through every seizure medication possible several times, but none helped her seizures. All gave her horrible side effects. Finally her doctor at Primary Children's hospital (a wonderful man by the way) took her off of all the seizure meds because they weren't helping but they were hurting her. Once we had to take her to the hospital emergency room in Las Vegas. When they found she had seizures but was not on seizure medication they were horrified. We told them she was under doctors care and it was the doctors decision. All of the sudden we were treated like the scum of the earth. The doctor there informed us she would be on seizure meds before she left the hospital or they would take action against us and take her away. They refused to contact our doctor in Utah. We know what it's like to be at their mercy! It took our doctor a month to wean her off of the meds again! To much power!!!!

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 12:40 p.m.

Unfortunately, doctors think they are god themselves, the omnipotence personified, they put themselves in altar and the rest of the poor human beings, well, we just have to accept and adore them. I do believe this doctor gave that diagnostic just because his own convenience/profit/whatever. When my kid was a todler, he ate crayolas and got a very bad allergic reaction. I knew he needed anti-allergics soon and tried to tell that to the doctors. They ran x-rays, tests, etc to find out why my kid couldn't breath while I was telling them it was an allergic reaction. Finally, I got mad, talked to the chief of ER and told him he BETTER give those shots to my kid. He's going to turn 18 this month.

After that experience, I always look for another opinion AND without telling anything to the other doctor. I also found that IHC is a network of cover-my-back doctors too.

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 12:24 p.m.

To Grandma Anne,
    Unfortunately, some parents are incompetent and can't make the correct decisions for their child. Sometimes the doctor really does know best. (I don't include the Jensen family in this category.)

• Hmmmmm
    May 14, 2008 12:08 p.m.

Recommendations for medical treatments are based on medical case histories and studies, influenced by risks and rates of survival. Homeopathic treatments are based on testimonials of successful results.

I know the father. I applaud the boy's continued health, but wonder about the motive and character of the father, especially when it comes to the money being saught.

• KJBinSTL
    May 14, 2008 11:58 a.m.

to "Steve's right": I would argue with your statement that "Their court filing that claimed Parker would die within a year if he didn't get immediate chemotherapy has been proven completely false."

I suspect what they actually said was that the overwhelming majority of people with Ewing's sarcoma die in a year if untreated.

I see your point but it is a little like a kid's playing Russian roulette, then telling his parents that they were silly to worry about him since he lived through it.

• KJBinSTL
    May 14, 2008 11:54 a.m.

Justin, you haven't met many parents.

• Sure, but...
    May 14, 2008 11:47 a.m.

I am happy for this family and that their choice appears to have been inspired. I think the doctor may have meant well, but the state's ability to interfere in this case was excessive.

However, I hope no one takes this as a blanket license to ignore the advice of physicians. In general, they know what they're doing. You should have a very good reason, such as inspiration or a second opinion, to reject a doctor's advice.

• pediatric nurse
    May 14, 2008 11:43 a.m.

I have worked with kids where parents have not gotten them the medical care they have needed and it is sad to watch. I have also seen MANY times when a parent can tell things are not right just because they are the parent and the doctors have not listened to the parents because they are not medically trained. I think there is a line here that was crossed by the medical profession. That doesn't mean that there isn't a case down the line where the safety of a child needs to be seriously looked at because a parent is unable to make an educated decision for one reason or another. I am not sure what in the world happened here but I feel very sorry for this family that they did not receive the respect that all good parents deserve for knowing their child best, and of course wanting what is best for their son. No one wanted their son to live as much as they do.

• Chet
    May 14, 2008 11:36 a.m.

Are the Jensen's able to take donation's to help fund
    their legal fight, I as a parent am very interested in seeing them win something. If its only an apology.
    I also hope they can recoup their legal fees that they have as wel, at the very least their son is alive,and doing well. Way to be a great parents should be the name of the book.

• Justin
    May 14, 2008 11:25 a.m.

I find it far more plausible that a doctor would try to force a patient into treatment for the sake of a study to be published on the suspected condition, than a parent would deny genuine needed care for a children.

• Doc's
    May 14, 2008 11:19 a.m.

It is easy to pile on the Doctors, I was in a situation where we were given two options for surgery on our child, one at PCMC and one out of state. We elected for the one in state, the physicians strong armed us and sent us out of state for a better surgery. The reason we didn't want to go out of state was over concern that our child would not make the trip physically. Still the lesson learned was the Doc's did know best and in our case their ego's got the job done. We were thrilled with the results, but we were lied to about our options initially. The problem is that it is usually the decision of one or two, parents should seek multiple opinions.

• WHAOOOO for the Jensens!
    May 14, 2008 11:13 a.m.

I also applaud the Jensens for their efforts to strengthen the parental rights of this state and I am excited that they will get their day in court - Whaooo for them!

It makes me happy to see that we can turn the dictator fifedom back so that we as parents can have the rights to take care of our own families.

• Steve's right
    May 14, 2008 8:55 a.m.

Whatever the state or PCMC or the doctors say, one thing is true: Their court filing that claimed Parker would die within a year if he didn't get immediate chemotherapy has been proven completely false.

Parker's continued good health is all the proof one needs that the DCFS lied in this case.

• Applause
    May 14, 2008 8:53 a.m.

I applaud the Jensens for standing up for parental rights and parental choice. I hope they prove that we CAN fight city hall!

• Bob
    May 14, 2008 8:40 a.m.

A wake up call to medical and government egos.

Time has proven them wrong. Congratulations to courageous parents who prevailed. Time for the medical and governmental egos to pay up.

• Birdman
    May 14, 2008 8:33 a.m.

There's enough evidence coming out in support of "alternative" medicine lately, that conforming completely and unquestioningly to "conventional" drug therapy medicine might be more harmful than good. I applaud the Jensens for seeking other opinions and informing themselves about Parker's condition and treatment, rather than just accepting the insistant remedy offered by a single doctor.

• JWK
    May 14, 2008 8:30 a.m.

Under the banner of 'protecting the children' our government has intruded on parental rights and continue to do so through the education system and by laws that make it harder to raise our children.

The problem going to continue to intensify as more and more calls to 'protect the children' come and legislatures, fearing public backlash, simply go along with the crowd without proper due diligence.

• Nan B. White
    May 14, 2008 8:00 a.m.

Enter comment
    I know the Jensens well, and I heard much of their story from them. They were victims of a crazy scenario, which I too believe was fueled by power hunger, over zealous "social services" and prestige driven medical people.
    In the midst of all this, they catered a reception for a family member, and several attendees told me it was the best food they'd had at such an event! The Jensens needed to earn money for family survival.

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 7:49 a.m.

So did Parker ever need any kind of chemotherapy or was it just a matter of removing the lump surgically. If thats the case the state and doctor owe these people money.

I know of a women who was diagnosed with a later stage of Breast cancer, she said that chemotherapy would not be an option. She went on a raw food diet and eliminated her cancer. This was in 2000 and she has been healty since.

Every person I know that has had cancer that used radiation and chemotherapy and have died. It had prolonged their suffering and made them very ill.

• Steve
    May 14, 2008 6:58 a.m.

Beyond the "he said, she said" differing stories, obviously Parker did not need emergency chemotherapy. The medical and legal bureaucracy was out of control. Giving government that much authority over our lives is a mistake.

• Grandma Anne
    May 14, 2008 4:59 a.m.

I hope all turns out well for the Jensens. They have suffered the most agregious interference into their role as parents. I can't image what it would be like to have the State and the doctors decide that you were incompetant to make decisions for your child. Parker sure seems to be doing better than all the doctors said he would.