Archuleta dismisses gossip about father, is likely to go to finals

• Kate
    May 16, 2008 9:34 a.m.

I just ordered a cool David Archuleta shirt from www.PantherTees.com. They said not to tell anyone, but here is a 10% discount code, pts10 (its case sensitive, so copy and paste it). Enjoy!

• Steve - No Career in Rock or Pop
    May 15, 2008 12:02 p.m.

As many people are advising David Archuleta (and they're right), he should not try to be something he's not... which means NO career in the Rock or mainstream Pop worlds as at this time he can't successfully pull of up-tempo songs. He should focus his career in the Adult Contemporary field, you know... Josh Groban and Norah Jones' market.

Good luck to David Cook, if he wins... great. But I'd rather he take 2nd as that is a better move, not only for his debut CD but long-term career wise as well to avoid the winner curse that's struck everyone except for Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson.

Hopefully when Archuleta wins the producers don't force him into mainstream pop, but let him go where he needs to be... Adult Contemporary.

• El Capitan
    May 14, 2008 11:45 p.m.

The "gossip" about David's father is based on some embarrassing facts. Not very good examples of Utah and its dominant LDS religion, that's for sure!

• Idol Watcher
    May 14, 2008 11:24 p.m.

Gee, what will we do when Idol is over ??? Cry and start watching CNN again and get depressed over our reality.....war, earthquakes, cyclones,abuse.....oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

• pk
    May 14, 2008 10:21 p.m.

Hooray for the 2 David's. They both deserve to be in the finals. It will be interesting to see what happens next week - they both have such different styles. I really like them both. But I am voting for David A. - he reminds me a little of a Josh Groban type performer. It's great to listen to someone with such a pure, beautiful voice. There's a lot of "David Cook" type talent. This is the year for something different and inspirational - David A. for instance. Go David Archuleta!

• Fans from Philippines
    May 14, 2008 6:19 p.m.

No matter what happened, David Archie is my, our idol here in the PHILIPPINES. My comrades who are in the Middle East and Hong Kong, are also cheering for the Archie. David A. you are the most deserving to be an IDOL, in all aspects. And we are not teen-agers, we are in the middle ages and seniors.

• Gal50
    May 14, 2008 6:00 p.m.

David A. will have a great career unlike most of those who came in second and some of those who came in first in previous Idol seasons. He would be a great leading male in teen movies as well. The girls love him. I want my daughter to marry someone like him.

In any other season, I think David A. could have landed in 1st place. His vocals seem better than any other past winner. But this year, we also have David C. who also has great vocals and lots of originality. While we are voting for David A., it seems that David C. will get the win. Syesha is wonderful also and would have won last year, but David A. is the stronger contestant, so he will most surely land in the finals.

• David A. fan
    May 14, 2008 5:36 p.m.

He has a set of pipes that will take him a long way, with or without American Idol. They are all 3 great singers. Good luck to our Utah boy! He deserves to win!

• Steve - Re: Originality?
    May 14, 2008 4:04 p.m.

Those small touring bands and local solo singers you met think "Idol" is stupid and thus won't try out?

Well I think, pardon the pun, that they'd be singing a different tune if they made it as far as David Cook has... you can't buy such huge free publicity. Being on this "stupid show" would probably be the thing that finally gets them out of that rut they're in... that "rut" of being stuck in tiny little clubs and nobody having a clue as to who they are. Finally they'd have a recording contract and people across the country buying their music.

• Emily
    May 14, 2008 3:59 p.m.

I think he is amazing singer and did a wonderful job with his chirs brown song it is one of my favorite of his thouse judes are crazy I LOVE HIM HES IS SO HOT AND A AMAZING SINGER HE IS A GOOD ROLE MODLE SO PURE I LOVE YOU DAVID !!!! HE WILL WIN AMERICAN IDOL I LOVE YOU I AM HIS BIGGEST FAN !!!!I LOVE DAVID

• Musicfan
    May 14, 2008 3:58 p.m.

Hadn't watched A.I. other than a minute or two here or there since season 2. Got sick of the whole "reality show" charade very quickly. Love singing, but there is so little of it on A.I. compared with all the promoting, advertising, fillers, etc. Saw David A.'s audition. Wasn't blow away. Saw first round of top 24. Impressed, but not blown away. Loved Imagine and was hooked. Didn't care if he won. Just wanted to hear him sing each week. Haven't enjoyed all of his performances. He's been great and not so great, but so has everyone else, and I've enjoyed many others on the show. However, I'm really disappointed that his father has become tabloid fodder. I am amazed that people will instantly believe reports that use "unnamed sources speaking on condition of anonimity," but when family and friends attempt to refute these claims, they are vilified as self-serving, biased, and only interested in getting their piece of the Archuleta pie. David is smarter than I have been. Instead of reading this trash in the first place, I should have just stayed away from it, which is what he does thank goodness.

• Steve - Re: Philip
    May 14, 2008 3:55 p.m.

Same here. I'll buy a CD from David Cook before I'll ever get David Archuleta's... I really don't see my buying Archuleta's. Oh, and Carly Smithson... I'd most likely buy one from her as well. David C. and Carly were/are the most well rounded and versitle singers/contestants this season. Carly left the show far too soon.

• C. L. Nelson
    May 14, 2008 3:22 p.m.

When I first heard David Archuletta's voice, I was amazed at his vocal talent! He can sing anything! He has improved his stage appearance and gained confidence! His rendition of "Love Me Tender, Love Me True" was a true hit! He will make it without a doubt! American Idol winner is David Archuletta! Way to go David A.! You have a great career ahead of you! His gift is pure, and definitely deserving of his natural abilities! He does an amazing stage performance each sequence! Our youth need good values and David A. exemplifies unique qualities that make him a real winner with anyone!

• Originality?
    May 14, 2008 3:09 p.m.

David C is far from original. He acts, sings, looks(as in his hair and facial hair and clothes) and talks just like one of my old roommates. that roommate played in a local rock band and I saw hundreds of David Cs out there. Most of the ones I met in local bands and small touring bands were just as good if not better than David C. They just think AI is a dumb show so they wouldn't try out. There is nothing original about him at all. Anyone that thinks he is original should go down town and check out the small venues and listen to the kids in their cities. But as for the whole thing about David A's dad..well it is dumb. Who cares what his father is doing. The father is not the one who is performing and should not be the main attraction. If you want to make David lose votes then they should attack him and not his dad. They shouldn't attack him cause it is just wrong to try to bring someone down like that but it is "below the belt" to take jabs and people's families.

• christopher
    May 14, 2008 3:04 p.m.

I've always thought highly of Deseret News, but I can't believe they ran that story based on TMZ. Come on, do some research, and don't mock your readers by publishing things that just aren't true (especially not confirmed by a reliable source).
    Good Luck tonight David!!!

• who cares? honestly?
    May 14, 2008 3:04 p.m.

why do people waste their time watching such garbage? who cares if this kid is from Utah. so are 3 million other people! I have watched and will never watch an episode of this stupid show. such a waste of time. go outside. go for a walk, a run, a bike ride, a hike, or something besides sit your lazy a$$ on your couch on watch something that has no revelance to society or anything that means anything. its pointless garbage. its shows like these that are turning this country in a waste land of idiots.

• EG
    May 14, 2008 2:30 p.m.

Versatility, vocal range ability... you can mention all of that but what i think really matter is who is the one wants by Americans who are crazy about entertainment business. I think that DAvid A has an edge over David C when it comes to entertainment idol role because he is younger and not married. David A will be more popular to young and single fans than Davi C. If I am a producer I would prefer someone like David A to market because I think he will be more profitable.

• Amanda
    May 14, 2008 2:24 p.m.

This is the first season I have ever watched A.I. I do vote once for who I think does the best job, which usually is one of the Davids. I think David C. can do great arrangements but he screams to much and his voice sounds way to similar to Scott Stapp from Creed. David A. has nearly brought me to tears week after week and once, with his rendition of Imagine, succeeded. To all of you who feel the need to post how this isn't a real story. . .well you opened it and you obviously thought it was 'newsworthy' enough to comment on it. BTW who cares if Jeff Archuleta is a stage dad?!? It doesn't diminish the talent of David.

• kanaka818
    May 14, 2008 2:03 p.m.

As a Utah native now living in California, I really do like David A. and have been cheering for him. I just don't care for David C.'s voice or stage presence. However, I'm starting to really like Syesha. Her voice is great and her stage presence is better than David A.

I think David A. should ignore all those marriage proposals from his fans and marry Syesha. Then, they could share the Idol title, and be winners together, both on and off the stage.

• Clark
    May 14, 2008 2:03 p.m.

Personally, I believe Idol is helping promote this rumor by Ryan not having said anything about it on last night's show. This is going to hurt with David losing votes because of people who are going to believe his dad is what TMZ and other media are saying he is.
    It was obvious in the pix of the songs and such for David A. and David C. that Idol and its producers have suddenly shifted and are pulling for David C.
    That's why Ryan hasn't stood up to the rumors like they did with their flakey judge, Paula.
    The kid is 17. His dad deserves to be backstage, and so what if the man does play a musical instrument. That's not the same as him being a fellow singer and being able to coach David any differently than what help the other contestants are getting from friends, coaches, and producers of the show who are now beginning to show that this thing can and is fixed.

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 1:36 p.m.

You people really must not have lives if you spend 2 whole hours voting for an Idol contestant every week. Anyway, David Cook deserves to win American Idol this year as he has shown the most versatility and originality each week. David A. is boring and has very limited range. He proved that last night with his lame attempt at a Chris Brown song. I'm sure he'll keep getting the LDS, wholesome "family" image vote, but in the real world that the rest of us live in, he won't make it. Go David Cook!!!

• philip
    May 14, 2008 1:36 p.m.

i think that david archuleta shouldn't be American Idol. As he proved last night he can't sing contemporary songs without making it look really wierd. I even cringed when he was singing it. I think having him be the American Idol is a mistake he's going to be another Taylor Hicks, he's not going to be able to sell albums because he's not contemporary enough. My parents will buy the album as will my grandparents but I don't see him putting out a quality cd or doing a quality concert. When he sings it looks like he is in a high school play he does not work the audience he just puts his hand out and sings...nothing special. Granted he does have an amazing voice, but I would buy David Cook's album over his anyday.

• jt
    May 14, 2008 1:23 p.m.

the idol has to be versatile. david a is not. david c proved last nite that he can do both. nuff said.

• Steve - He Can't Do Up-tempo
    May 14, 2008 12:25 p.m.

Here's what a popular entertainment website said about David Archuleta's performance of "With You" last night (and I totally agree with it, but it's a risk that didn't pay off):

"Whoa. I take back what I said about Li'l' Archie always playing it safe. This is a contemporary song that requires Archuleta to make repeated references to his "boo." Nice. And absurd. That's the complimentary part. David looks absolutely lost on the up-tempo song. He can't handle the rhythm at all. Even with all of the R&B touches from the original removed, Archuleta still has to hit words and notes on a beat and he's never had to do that before this season. He treats it as a pseudo-ballad, mumbles some of the lyrics and his normally spot-on pitch fails him repeatedly. He varies his performance slightly by going to the edge of the stage and half-heartedly cooing to the girls in the mosh pit, but he can't dance -- so much of Chris Brown's personal is based on his mobility -- and all he can do is gesture to the crowd in the same way he's been doing all season. But again, good for David taking a risk."

• Yet another Grandma
    May 14, 2008 11:53 a.m.

I too vote for David Archuletta - all two hours, every Tuesday night. His voice and soulful expression of music often moves me to tears and gives me chills. I absolutely loved his rendition of "And So It Goes." Ahhh. I didn't care much for his other two songs last night but thought he did a fantastic job with what he had to work with.

I have preferred instrumental music all my life but will definitely buy a David Archuleta CD. In fact, I've downloaded his singles from iTunes and love to listen to them.

If he makes it through, I plan to vote all four hours next week. I know a lot of people enjoy watching AI and hope that David A. wins but do not vote. How about voting next week for this wonderful young man with a huge talent?

Go Archie!

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 11:48 a.m.

TV, like organized religion, turns minds to mush.

• Grandpa/Grandma
    May 14, 2008 11:18 a.m.

Who wouldn't be concerned about your 17 year old son if you were Jeff Archuleta. I think you'd have to worry if he wasn't watchful over his very impressionable son. David Cook certainly has the type of voice that would appeal to rockers. But David Archuleta has a better voice and clearer tones. David Cook was off-pitch the first part of his song, as Randy Jackson indicated, but not David Archuleta. Syesha didn't deserve the bad reviews that she got. She is a real performer and has a great future. She did a great job with Fever. Jackson and Abdul are predictable, but Cowell - what about him. Where did he ever become a critic and how. He's king of sarcasm.
    As for "only young teenagers and grandmas watching voting for David Archuleta, there are others who have the ability to recognize his talent. His humility and persona on stage is delightful. We have watched American Idol because of the interest of our grandchildren, we have watched the program and have voted consistently for David, Brooke White and Syesha Mercado. So, you can count a grandpa and a grandma that like and vote for David Archuleta.

• tnlewis
    May 14, 2008 11:11 a.m.

If nothing else, David A. is consistant. Sure he can't sing a Chris Brown song. Not many can unless you're Chris Brown. But he can pull off the ballads better than anyone. And really, who doesn't like a ballad every now and then. Though not a teeny-bopper and certainly not a grandma, I too can appreciate a great talent when I see one. It's too bad his father has to add controversy to the situation. But David is a good kid. He'll do well whether he comes in 1st or 2nd. Let's just hope his talent takes him to the top. Gotta love our Utah boy.

• crystal ball
    May 14, 2008 11:07 a.m.

the two david's remain in tonight's show.
    The girl with the great voice gets voted off.

• KE
    May 14, 2008 10:37 a.m.

Syesha may well be a big star on Broadway where her acting skills and voice can pair up to really make her stand out.

I like the girl and she has a very good voice, but I have a hard time connecting with her. I think she would do best and be a stand-out on stage in musicals.

• Bookaholic
    May 14, 2008 10:28 a.m.

It's sad how eager people are to believe evil of others. These people have nothing on David coz he's angelic so they're going after his family. TMZ is lying about David's father in order to garner attention and viewers. They're dirt bags. Jeff should sue them.

Here are the FACTS:

According to American Idol spokesperson Andrea Jamison, the rumor about Jeff Archuleta, Idol contestant David Archuletas father being banned from backstage and rehearsals is false.

The rumor that surfaced yesterday on an entertainment Web site about Mr. Archuleta is CATEGORICALLY FALSE. As part of normal procedures at American Idol, all family members of contestants and personal coaches are prohibited from participating in rehearsals during the final two weeks of the competition and the finale.

The ban, if you will, APPLIES TO ALL FAMILY MEMBERS and others not directly affiliated with the show and 19 Entertainment. THIS DID NOT SINGLE OUT MR. ARCHULETA NOR DO PRODUCERS HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH HIS CONDUCT WHATSOEVER. [my emphasis]

• Dr. Booty
    May 14, 2008 10:14 a.m.

I really don't care about David Archuleta, but his mother Lupe is sure a "fox". (What a hottie!!!)

• Karen
    May 14, 2008 10:10 a.m.

Yeah, you're right, George. I want to get back to being really, really depressed.

The fact that David Archuleta has been uplifting, inspiring and has put a smile on my face is not good. The fact that he has me listening to popular music for the first time in 20+ years is especially bad.

Excuse me, I have to go out and jump off a cliff. Thanks, George.

• shirley david c all the way
    May 14, 2008 10:06 a.m.

i really think both Davids are talented BUT David c should win as alot of votes are going to David A because he is cute and yes that is true but this is a singing contest not a beauty pagent

• Bill from South Dakota
    May 14, 2008 10:01 a.m.

David A. is great! As for AI appealing only to the young, evidently at 48 I must still be a youngster.

• Rich
    May 14, 2008 9:55 a.m.

Archuleta has two things against him -- rumors about his dad (which might not be true) and his age (which he can't do anything about). Cook has two things against him -- the haughty attitude that he appears to have (even though he might not actually be haughty) and his growling, howling and screaming. Each is unique and will succeed in the music business, but I far prefer listening to Archuleta's smooth and dulcet tones, even if it's mostly the younger girls and grandmas who prefer him over Cook. Syesha deserves the Most Improved Singer award and will have a long career in front of the cameras.

• Mary
    May 14, 2008 9:46 a.m.

Very disappointed with American Idol and producers, David A vocals are the best then Syescha, time to let David Cook's scream sing go home. To bad they need to make things up to sway to what they want. Voted for 2 hours for David Archuleta pure talent and a true American Idol.

• SLC gal
    May 14, 2008 9:44 a.m.

Why should this be news? This has been splashed everywhere since Thursday, and I for one have gotten very bored by this story. David has stated his father is NOT the issue, and David is 17, - and able to think on his own - , and stuff. I hope he wins "Idol"!!! Go David!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Archuleta that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Shef
    May 14, 2008 9:22 a.m.

I listened last night and I think David is a screamer. I feel that Idol only appeals to the young. Best of Luck to everyone especially David A.

• give me a break
    May 14, 2008 9:07 a.m.

to the Deseret Daily National News..congratulations on your tabloid news story... how's it feel to throw mud at one of our own's success? funny.....if he was a murderer, he would have gotten less news coverage.....way to go!!!!!!

• American watcher
    May 14, 2008 9:05 a.m.

It seems to me that this American Idol was cut and dried along time ago Poor girl doesnt have a chance. It doesn"t matter how good she does they put her on the back burner every time

• Rob
    May 14, 2008 9:01 a.m.

Hey George, don't you think we deserve a break from all the depressing things you just mentioned? There is such a thing as newsworthy GOOD news.

• jt
    May 14, 2008 8:44 a.m.

i thought davids first and last song were good. his second one, of his choice was boring and not him. david is young and immature and it seems to me that is his fathers fault by being so overbearing and controlling. let him do his own thing. again, david cooke will be my vote as he shows the maturity and confidence and sound of a true star. go david cooke

• phine
    May 14, 2008 8:40 a.m.

David Archuleta is not only a good singer but a loving son! He deserves to get the title "American Idol". We love you david!

• PaOsfan
    May 14, 2008 8:39 a.m.

David Archuleta will be a star, even if he does not win American Idol. He is very talented. I vote faithfully for him every week for all 2 hours. That is a shame about the rumors about Jeff Archuleta coming out now. GOOD LUCK DAVID A!! YOU WILL BE MY AMERICAN IDOL!

• Ernest T. Bass
    May 14, 2008 8:21 a.m.

Only D-news readers could possibly make this the top read story.
    Idol is for 14 year olds and D-news readers who want to feel normal when someone from Utah becomes famous.

• JENNY
    May 14, 2008 8:18 a.m.

I THOUGHT DAVID DID A GREAT JOB HE CAN REALLY SING

• SS
    May 14, 2008 8:16 a.m.

David is such a good kid and has done nothing seriously wrong for a 17 year old. When this occurs the media is never happy, so they have to dig up or make up something to tarnish the individual's image. The media is using Jeff Archuleta as a Scape Goat to do this. There has to be some type of scandal where the media is involved.

• MoJules
    May 14, 2008 8:15 a.m.

Today in Missouri, they had a thing about "stage dad's" and were talking about this in reference to Jeff A. It really annoyed me, because of one person's perspective and possibly prejudice, the whole nation has stamped Jeff A as a terrible person. David A even stated he was not a problem, Nigel even made a comment, but the media loves to believe the negative, so it is a uphill battle. I do wish that Ryan would have made a statement about these rumors, that are not only being written about, but talked about, I guess David A doesn't deserve the same respect that Paula gets, too bad.

• Lee
    May 14, 2008 8:03 a.m.

I think David A. chose the right song,from Dan Fogleberg and performed it very well.He was not in his "zone" on that first song though. David C. is the next American Idol. Well, then again, last year Melinda Doolittle SHOULD HAVE WON IT. So, it will come down to the two Davids.Both are extremely talented. BTW, David Cook's selection and performance of Switchfoot was fantastic!

• George
    May 14, 2008 7:10 a.m.

I'll sure be glad when this is all over so we can get some real news, ie. Iraq (remember we are at war), the economy (several fools and their immoral bankers have themselves in a fix that we are no likely going to bail out), energy crisis (I used to fill my car up for what I'm paying for one gallon), global warming (I don't know if this is really a problem but I forcast that the Wasatch front is going to wonder what to do with all the water when the snow starts melting as it warms up this weekend), etc.

• weak reporting.
    May 14, 2008 6:47 a.m.

The Deseret News must be a tabloid paper now for publishing that "rumor"

• GLG
    May 14, 2008 6:11 a.m.

I thought David was awesome last night. I voted for two straight hours. I read on another web site that all parents are banned from backstage the last two weeks of American Idol and that the producers have not had any problems with Jeff Archuleta. It makes you wonder where these stories come from. GOOD LUCK DAVID!!!!!!!!!!

• Wendy
    May 14, 2008 4:13 a.m.

Is American Idol unorganized or what? They wait until the last three weeks and say that David can't have his father's help?

It was a dirty trick! In my opinion David A doesn/t need American Idol to be a star.

• June from GA
    May 14, 2008 1:40 a.m.

I have always felt that David Archuleta would walk away with the title "American Idol". I am now having doubts about the winner.

David Cook, not surprisingly, has boosted himself into real competetion with David Archuleta. So, next week might have a surprise ending for the season's finale.

No matter which David wins, Archuleta or Cook, both are going to be really hot talent and the moon is the limit for them, as well as Ayesha. I predict contracts will be forthcoming to all three contestents.

• GK from England
    May 14, 2008 1:23 a.m.

If certain sections of the media do not want someone to succeed, whatever the field is, they will, along with hearsay and speculation from others, become relentless in their attacks and cynicism for someone/something. The same happened to Mitt Romney. The media dug deep and found whatever they could use to try and dent Mitt's confidence and reputation. Clearly, they are trying to do the same again. This time it is a young man named David Archuleta from Murray, Salt Lake City. Leave the kid alone!!!