Utah Jazz: Kobe says back injury affected him but he'll be OK for Game 5

• Anonymous
    May 13, 2008 10:00 p.m.

I respect Stockton, Malone, Bird, Magic, Michael, Dr. J, Fisher, Kareem, McHale, Doleac, Miller, Ainge, DJ, Jamal Wilkes, Moses, Gervin, Dantley, Griffith, Nash, Nowitzki, Kidd, Shaq, Kerr, Robinson, Duncan, etc. because they all respected the game of basketball, and the NBA.

Wow, if you can talk Kobe into respecting anything beside Kobe, maybe people would respect him.

• John
    May 12, 2008 9:48 p.m.

Hi JB & Andrew,

Welcome to L.A. and the Lakers.
    I'm glad you guys moved away from Utah and the classless jerks that call themselves Jazz fans, what a joke.

I have friends in Utah who are Jazz fans but they do not act and talk like the morons who make stupid comments about Kobe and Phil Jackson. Wait until you win an NBA championship then talk later.

I have to say that not all Jazz fans are like the drunk idiots who rudely booed Fisher because he made a decision to take care of his kid.

• Joanne B.
    May 12, 2008 9:36 p.m.

Hi Andrew,

Just like you, I moved to L.A. from Utah with my parents but I am now a Laker fan (just recently). I was so disappointed with the Jazz's fans when they booed Derek Fisher who has been a great Jazz
    player until his daughter got sick and had to move to L.A. so she can get better treatment.

I could not care less if they are rude to Kobe and the entire Laker team but to treat Fisher the way they did when he played in Utah was terrible !!!

• Anonymous
    May 12, 2008 9:11 p.m.

I am just surprised that some of you Jazz fans talk about Kobe so much. Why don't you talk about how your team played hard enough to win games?

I am a Laker fan but I have great respect for John Stockton and Karl Malone for the way they played... they can play ball and so does Kobe. I guess I will dislike him too if a player that good is going against my home team. It is also very sad that Derek Fisher who made a decision to move to L.A. because of his daughter, gets booed when he goes to your arena... when he went back to the Staples center playing for Jazz, we gave him a standing ovation for the way he plays the game not because he changed uniforms... have some class guys, it is just a game, there is more to life than a championship trophy!

• Anonymous
    May 12, 2008 6:48 p.m.

Yes, Kobe Cryant will be fine for game 5 because he was never hurt for game 4.

• re: wow and ^thank you^
    May 12, 2008 6:15 p.m.

We have to face this, it is hard to respect Kobe Bryant, and whining about it won't change it. I live in So. Cal. Kobe has a past, and it consists of trips to Colorado, expensive rings for his wife, getting Shaq kicked to the other coast, and asking for a trade. He has been propped up by the NBA as heir apparent for Michael, and "given" the MVP this year, and unless he can, with the help of David Stern, beat the Jazz the window of the Kobe era will pass. He does not deserve to be compared with #23 because without Shaq or Stern, he can't do it.

Sorry to not respect your hero, but he just doesn't measure up. He's good, but not great, and if the NBA machine will let him be just "good", people will respect him for being good.

• Silly
    May 12, 2008 5:06 p.m.

Ok, I have hated Kobe for years, but I have also seen him play for years, and that guy was hurt last night without question. He may be a ball hog and a total egocentric, but the guy is tough. Just ask the ripped tendons in his shooting hand.

If I were the Jazz, I wouldn't call blowing a double digit lead in the fourth quarter and surviving an injured Kobe any reason to celebrate heading into LA for game 5.

• ^ thank you ^ "myopic Jazz Fans"
    May 12, 2008 4:37 p.m.

my point exactly! NBA on conspiracy, wow take that up with the commisioner!

Its hard to be on top (like kobe)... you are striked at and boo-ed by most.

I am a hardcore lakers fan and love kobe, but do you see me taking down Williams??? or Boozer? Both who are very great palyers? Even Williams and Boozer respect kobe.

• So much talk
    May 12, 2008 4:36 p.m.

For a gruop that has never won an NBA title you guys sure talk some smack!. Kobe 3 titles the Lakers 14, Phil Jackson 9. Utah Jazz O. Have some respect little guys.

• Here comes the Utah arrogance
    May 12, 2008 4:34 p.m.

Just because you losers won at home doesn't mean your winning the series. Now you have to go back to our town and lose 2 here and it's over. Just think a year from now or for eternity no one will remember you guys won 2 games at home.

• kobe
    May 12, 2008 4:31 p.m.

Stop fouling kobe! No wonder he hss ahurt back

• Re: AKFAN
    May 12, 2008 4:30 p.m.

Hollywood is in California! Exactly where you will lose these next two games.

• Myopic Jazz fans
    May 12, 2008 4:05 p.m.

I love how when Rockets' fans would come into this forum typing fingers ablazin' about AK's memorable flop, Jazz fans paid no heed. They Completely excused the accusations and despereately tried to justify AK's actions. Yet, now when you're on the other side of it (Kobe) it suddenly becomes a hot-button issue that you all feel needs to be addressed in order to uphold the integrity of the NBA.

Give me a beak, of course this is the problem with fans in general, but Jazz fans just seem to take the double standard approach to a whole new level. Get over the foul discrepancy, and get over your inadequacies of being in a small market, and claiming "NBA conspiracy" whenever you lose to the Lakers.

Soon I might have to put you all in the same category as those losers who keep trying to make the argument George W. was the Sept. 11 architect and financier. If you had a player as good as Kobe and as aggresive, you'd expect the calls too.

• Gojazz
    May 12, 2008 4:00 p.m.

One thing that struck me odd at Sunday's game was the referee leaning down over Kobe while Kobe was on the floor with the tweaked back, checking to see if he was okay. That same courtesy(??) wasn't extended to Price when he got slammed to the floor. Any one with back problems knows that you can NOT twist and turn to the degree that Kobe did after his injury. He seems to be able to turn it on and off at will. A great player he is, but that is overshadowed by his egotism, his acting and his coach! The words that came out of Phil's mouth after the game were pathetic. As far as the Jazz fans, yup - we've got a bunch of idiots in the crowd - somewhat like the Laker fans. The classiest player on the Laker's team is Derek Fisher, a credit to the sport and a fine ball player. Great game, Jazz - and I must say the same for the Lakers because they didn't give up. GO JAZZ and get one in LA.

• What Ever
    May 12, 2008 3:26 p.m.

It only affected him when he was missing shot not when he was making them. For example: Made shot at end of 1st half compared to missed shots in OT.

• Ernie
    May 12, 2008 3:19 p.m.

The Lakers are a very good team. They don't need the refs to help them. With five minutes left in the game, the Jazz had a substantial lead. Then what happens, we can't buy a call. Memo is hit with a T for throwin his hand forward (wholavich or whatever his name does the same and no call), Kobe shoves AK to the ground and AK gets the foul (the commentators got a laugh out of that one), Kobe grives by Boozer and they call a foul on Boozer (the replay show that no one touched him) etc., etc. The fact is that a LA-Celtic fix is in. The NBA wants it bad to boost ratings. Watch for more of the ref's disparity in next games. It would be so cool if the Jazz can beat LA and the refs!

• KeepnReal
    May 12, 2008 2:57 p.m.

Kobe fake? C'mon is this really news? He starts by saying 'no excuses' but then says he can't move or cut the same because of his back injury. The guy contradicts himself in one sentence and doesnt blink an eye. Look very closely at Kobe and you'll see a child that has no sense of reality...Let him continue to think he's the fastest gun in the west. It just makes it really entertaining when he runs out of bullets.

• wow!......
    May 12, 2008 2:57 p.m.

Ok i can tell there are a lot of people that dislike the lakers (more kobe)... I am a lakers fan and great fan of basketball and i can proudly admit that the lakers' performance was not up to par sunday afternoon. As for the Jazz, they just out played the lakers.

We all have out reasons why lakers lost, but placing the blame on Mr. Bryant is no excuse why the lakers lost. It was a combination of everyone on the team. Early foul trouble, multiple turn-overs in the 3rd, Phil leaving Kobe in the game for that long (with the injury), Their free-throws.

The Jazz just converted on the laker turnovers and took advantage of Kobe's injury.

I just think everyone expects too much from #24, for his lack in performance due to injury, he still mangaed to score 33 points and 10 assists.

And playing with the flu aint that amazing to me... playing with an injured back, which is crucial in having healthy in the game of basketball is more impressive.

plus i'm sick of these comparisons between #24 and #23... they played in different eras of basketball. Jordan already left his mark, let kobe.

• adam d
    May 12, 2008 2:47 p.m.

Great win Jazz!

Kobe is not faking.

Kobe is playing great but without Fisher the series would have been over already.

AK is not going to have a good series against a physical team like Houston but against a finesse team like the lakers the guy plays like a stud.

I love Prices energy.

D-will is the man. 29pts 14 assists.

Key points to winning on Wed:
    Dont let Fish score the 3 and get him in foul trouble
    Box out Gasol, no offensive rebounds and easy buckets.

Jazz are due for a Road victory.

Win or lose I love this Team!

• MVPrice
    May 12, 2008 2:36 p.m.

Showed more heart playing hurt than Kobe.

I want one of those posters of the Walton swat too...

• CJ
    May 12, 2008 2:15 p.m.

And Price swatting Walton is exactly why you go up with 2 hand and put it down hard. If he dunks it there, he quiets the fans, he gives LA momentum. Too bad he blew it. What a block!!!!!!!! Posterized baby!!!!

• Ronnie Price says...
    May 12, 2008 2:11 p.m.

4 stitch cut inflicted by Turriaff bothersome, but he will still play!

• lawrence33
    May 12, 2008 2:10 p.m.

Kobe is a "first class faker!" He said he hurt his back because he was losing! They will not win in LA, becuse the NBA wants a big money market team in the finals. The Jazz will not get the calls! It's the same old story. That's the reason a lot of fans don't watch NBA!

• Walton
    May 12, 2008 2:05 p.m.

Can't blame Walton for getting a clean layup swatted by Price (What is Price, 5'10, 87 pounds dripping wet???).

It's not like Walton is a 7 footer or anything...

Show's the heats of each team.

That's gotta be a poster someday...

• Tanner
    May 12, 2008 1:57 p.m.

D-Will has been hurt most of the Playoffs but you don't hear him cryin to the media or trying to get the officials to bail him out in case he chokes! He's Better than that! And I really would have loved to have seen and heard Bill Walton when his son embarrassed the family!

• Fact Man
    May 12, 2008 1:57 p.m.

To bad Daddy Walton wasn't Announcing when that Curly haired Punk got Blocked by little Ronnie. then he acted liked a Baby and laid down by the hoop. AS every fan Laughed at him.
    For the Jazz to win the Series
    Boozer needs to Man up Odom.
    Let Kobe Score, just don't let anyone else we have the Best defenders to guard Kobe (Ak, Brewer, Harp, Korv. Thats 24 fouls.
    No more easy ones for Gasol or Odom.
    Williams Drive on fish early. Don't you know fish don't swim up stream.

• "No Excuses"
    May 12, 2008 1:49 p.m.

Classic. Kobe says "I'm not making any excuses" and follows it right up with an excuse.

I'm not sure if the Jazz can pull this out, expecially with Booz being MIA, but I'm glad the they saved some face at home.

• Fan attic
    May 12, 2008 1:43 p.m.

Kobe was trying his "maybe if I fake it enough I can look like Mike when he had the flu and won a championship". Kobe unfortunately is so inconsistent that his team will not make it to the finals this year. Kobe is the poster child for very bad behavior and lack of a champions character. LA is a team with a bright future
    just not with Kobe Bryant.

• Hey, Lakers in 7
    May 12, 2008 1:37 p.m.

Jazz in 6...

(wow, I wonder if calling them out really affect the outcome.)

That would make a Jazz 4 game sweep.

Oh, and I didn't notice any fans pulling on their 24 Laker jerseys at the end of game 3 or 4.

• re:Kobe 1:18
    May 12, 2008 1:33 p.m.

Me too...

Only if there weren't 4 others on the team.

Michael, Bird Magic, Stockton--- all made the other four players around them better.

Kobe just needs four players around him to draw salaries, but not ONE of them plays to their potential when he is on the court.

Otherwise, I'd let you take him on your team. Enjoy the frustration of watching a team game decimated.

• Colby or Kobe
    May 12, 2008 1:32 p.m.

Well whatever his name is, who cares. Anyway I hope his next excuse is an eye problem, where he can't see showing up for games 5, 6 or 7.

• Kobe
    May 12, 2008 1:18 p.m.

Kobe maybe everything your are saying but I would take him on my team any day.

• Frank Layden
    May 12, 2008 1:10 p.m.

Kryptonite was to Superman and the Heel was to Achilles what the Road is to The Jazz. Following that analogy, you can see why the Lakers will win it in 7.

Enjoy your close victories, Jazz fans. The end result will be yet another cruel blow to an already punch drunk fan base.

• faraway fan
    May 12, 2008 1:09 p.m.

I could be wrong and if so, please accept my apologies...but I do believe Utah was the only team without home court to win a first round SERIES! If so, does that say anything about this team?

• Kobe MVPhlopper
    May 12, 2008 1:04 p.m.

Kobe deserves nooooo respect.

That last foul on AK, Kobe did his standard drive and dive into AK, but AK moved out of the way, and MVP aggrevated his injury. Way to help the team there big guy...

As for his back, I'm sure it hurt on that last "AIR-BALL"...

Why is a supposed MVP throwing a game away when he shouldn't be on the court.

Kobe is the greatest egoist ever to play the game.

• Jo Mamma
    May 12, 2008 1:01 p.m.

Players get hurt all the time, I am sure Kobe is hurt, is he as hurt as his grimaces and falling to the floor lead you to believe? I doubt it. Good players play throught the pain. Look at D-Will. He has been hammered throughout the post season. I haven't heard him complain unless he is specifically asked.

• PurplePeopleEater
    May 12, 2008 12:58 p.m.

I'm not convinced the Jazz players will feel that game 5 is like game 7, where if you don't win you go home. They pretty much need to treat game 5 like it's a win or go home proposition. If they don't I fear they'll not have their heads properly into the game.

Their foul shooting and layups (made or missed) percentages early on will show just where their heads are.

Deron's slowly getting it, but I still see him taking too long to get the offense going (takes his time getting across the time line). Even in the 4th yesterday he did that a number of times. Coasting. You can't do that and expect to beat a good team.

Win game 5 and game 6 becomes a donnybrook. Won't that be fun?

• Moto X
    May 12, 2008 12:39 p.m.

I agree with the other posts--when/if your back is that bad, you can't just all of sudden act like it is not.

Kobe was right "it is a back". I also am not buying his show--although he is from Hollywood.

When he got the ball he was suddenly capable of spinning and shooting while fading away and then suddenly again he could not get up and had to stay on the floor???? Save it you phony.

This was just an excuse for the MVP when the JAZZ TEAM beat him. The NBA and these pathetic individual-centric stars think they freakin world revolves around them. The JAZZ TEAM showed they were better the last two games.

In LA, the Laker starting 5 plus 3 refs beat us. That game of 5 on 8 is tough to win at.

126 Laker FT's to 76 ft's for the Jazz. That lopsided total through three game is so preposterously lopsided there really is no argument that could even be made to say that is plausible.

We have to be soooooo much better than the Lakers to have actually won these last 2 games.

Go Jazz!!!!

• TO St. George fan
    May 12, 2008 12:39 p.m.

Check your facts buddy. LA won 2 games in Denver, SA won in Phx, NO won in Dallas, Utah won 2 in Houston and Houston won 1 in Utah. that makes 7 games won on the road in the western conference. Didn't Cleveland, Orlando and Detroit all win on the road as well? that is a lot more than 3 road wins in round 1. If you are referring to only the Utah Houston series then yes only 3 were won onthe road and @ by the Jazz but it sounds like you are talking aboue the entire playoffs round one and not just one series.

• magnus
    May 12, 2008 12:33 p.m.

@ cuncabo

Nope. sorry, never been a fan of Vegas and been fortunate enough to never live there.

• Re: "Dumb fans"
    May 12, 2008 12:29 p.m.

He would fake his injury because he is out for personal glory. It his team loses then he has an excuse. If his team wins then he looks like a hero. Cobee is no Michael Jordan.

• Cautiously Optomistic
    May 12, 2008 12:28 p.m.

re: St. George Fan
    There were actually more than three road games won in the first round of the playoffs - the Lakers won two themselves. they had to, in order to sweep Enver (remember that there was no 'D' in Denver) As I recall there were several series that went less than seven games, so by definition someone had to win on the road. No you might be referring to the fact that in the Utah/Houston series there were three road wins (2 by Utah, one by Houston) which made it an exciting series.

I love the Jazz and hope that they can pull this series out. If they are able to make it all the way it would be an incredible story because there is not much chance that they would have home court advantage against anyone that they play. To me, that would counter balance all the road woes that they have had all season. Best way to prove yourself is bring home the trophy!!

• TJ
    May 12, 2008 12:19 p.m.

Kobe really did hurt his back. He was not faking it at all. I was upset with the overtime foul that they say he hurt his back again on. Kobe put his elbow in AK's chest and pushed him over. Why is that a foul on AK? Terrible call but every game has bad calls and I am sure if you look at it the Jazz got a few calls in their favor. The Jazz lost games 1 & 2 cause they got outplayed. The Jazz outplayed LA in games 3 and 4. Game 4 was just like the Houston/Utah series. The team that missed more free throws lost. But what a great game and Kobe's shot to end the first half was outstanding and I hate Kobe and have since he entered the league and alsways will but the guy can play ball. GO Jazz!!!!!

• Dumb Fans
    May 12, 2008 12:12 p.m.

You guys are idiots. Why in the world would Kobe fake his injury? You say its always excuses.. but at the same time Kobe gave props to AK and the Jazz.

• cuncabo
    May 12, 2008 12:07 p.m.

Magnus are you my old friend Rick in Las Vegas?

• Acting and kobe is faking
    May 12, 2008 12:03 p.m.

You both are clueless. Back pain for the most part limits people it doesn't debilitate them. Ask your chiropractor.

Bill
    Chiropractor

• PATRICK
    May 12, 2008 11:59 a.m.

Kobe bein hurt didnt make a difference when he is hurt he just posts up and scores at will and when he is 100% he drives in and hits jump shots it didnt make a difference in his points he still scored over 30 so thats not an excuse Laker fans

• kobe is faking
    May 12, 2008 11:36 a.m.

By kobe faking he is in a no lose situation. If the lakers lose it was because of kobes back, if they win it goes down as A"gutsy performance" by all the media knuckleheads. dont buy it, anyone who has had back pain knows you cant run or jump and play basketball like he was doing sunday. Im sure he will be just fine on wednesday. Jordan did the same thing against the jazz claiming he had the flu in the finals which we all know wasnt true. Kobe learned from Michael that it makes great story line for the media and just in case he loses, he has a excuse. Phil Jackson is a "gravy trainer" coach. He is not a good coach. Sloan or any other coach would have just as many title if they had Jordan, shaq and kobe.

• faraway fan
    May 12, 2008 11:30 a.m.

great win...and great play...Boozer may not have scored as much but I really think he has stepped up his defense in games 3 and 4. I just have one question and I could be wrong but not sure...Didn't Kirilenko get a foul called in ot for allowing Kobe to reach out, put a hand in his chest, and shove him to the floor? There have been calls I questioned in this series...like the base line drive when Kobe wrapped his arm completely around Brewer in order to get in the lane...but I understand the refs vantage point can affect what he sees. In the Kirilenko foul there is no possible way to have seen it any way except a gift...the ref was right on top of it and it was just a blatant reach and shove...and to be honest, it was not an attempt to create anything...so it was Kobe looking for a stoppage of play and knowing he would get the "Jordan rules" call.

• Acting
    May 12, 2008 11:20 a.m.

Kobe was definitely putting on an acting job out there...too bad he was as good as Jackie Chan...got the physical skills but fell out of character a few times. I've got a bad back too and can confirm that it doesn't "go away" in spurts so that he can make a few plays, then "come back" when he gets eaten up by Kirilenko or Brewer. The ONLY thing that Kobe hurt on Sunday was his ego!!

As for the play of the game, props to Price for coming out of no where and stuffing Walton like he was a 6th grader going for a layup. Did you notice that Price is only 6'2" (or there abouts) and was trailing the play by 10 yards or so!! Keep up the highlight film work Walton!!

• Anonymous
    May 12, 2008 11:03 a.m.

as for kobe, he might be the best player in the NBA right now but for some reason Kobe and laker fans have to keep coming up with reason why he cant beat a couple of no name players from utah...Weird... the only guy on that team with any class and pure talent in fisher day in and day out. Jazz may not win but if they dont win it wont be because kobe beat them it will be because the Jazz beat themselves. GO JAZZ!!!!!

• Love la except...
    May 12, 2008 10:57 a.m.

For Walton Jr. Man, the sooner that family line gets out of the NBA the better. The wind storm last night was just the air rushing through the gap in ol' Bills front teeth. Otherwise, I think the push for laker/celtic seris is too strong to let the Jazz get one in LA.

• Go Jazz, by Herm F
    May 12, 2008 10:49 a.m.

I'm using the secret to attract positivity for the Jazz and not focus on negative feelings for the Lakers. Go Jazz! I support you all the time.

• Saddened Jazz Fan
    May 12, 2008 10:45 a.m.

Yet once again the posts are filled with negative remarks concerning the competition. The Jazz won. The Lakers lost. The reverse has also been true. On Wednesday the Lakers might win again. Then we'll see the "Trade Boozer the Loser" and "Ship Sloan to Chicago" posts again. Give credit where credit is due. The Lakers are a good team that has the potential to win the Championship. They would have to go through the Jazz to do it. Can they? Yes. Will they? I hope not, but I'm not going to bad-mouth the Lakers or their fans in the process. That's just not sportsmanship. Maybe if the fans had as much respect for the game and each other as the players do our kids would show respect too. Just a thought.

Coach W

• magnus
    May 12, 2008 10:43 a.m.

Kobe is an amazing player, but one thing that makes watching him so frustrating is that he one of the best in the league at drawing cheap fouls. I don't blame the refs for that, Kobe is a master, and what he does is force the refs to call fouls that they usually let go. A perfect example was when Harpring was on him and was giving him a hip-check so Kobe swept the ball through and basically hooked Harprings arm and went straight into a shot. The ref had to call it because it looked like Harpring grabbed his arm, but Harpring didn't cause the contact Kobe did, he does that alot.

I don't think Kobe is faking the injury and I think it is going to be a problem for him for the rest of the playoffs (2-3 more games by my reckoning). Back injuries are tough and they take time to heal, just ask Boozer.

How about AK? He has really stepped up this series, I like that he is trying to assert himself in the post early in the game, it helps him get his confidence up.

Jazz in 7, if Kobe is

• Thinking Jazz Fans
    May 12, 2008 10:38 a.m.

Kobe was not faking. You have to be an idiot to think that. He lost lift and the ability to finish plays plus he wasn't even guarding his man very hard esp. the last qtr. and OT. Actually Kobe was stupid not to go out of the game in the 4th. He was actually hurting his team not helping.

• St. George fan
    May 12, 2008 10:21 a.m.

To the Lakers fan who said something about shutting up until the Jazz win one on the road when it matters (something to that effect), only three road games were won in round one of the playoffs, two of them by the Jazz. I'd say that's winning when it counts. Hopefully, they can win one in L.A. They are certainly capable.

• HoHo Man
    May 12, 2008 10:00 a.m.

Kobe should win a couple Emmy's this year. He acts great at playing "The guy who can look like he was fouled with no one around him." "Getting injury when someone bumps into him." Kobe is a cry baby and the newest cry baby is Labron James.

• Phil, Phil
    May 12, 2008 9:46 a.m.

You taught your team to get the ball to Kobe and now you are not happy with them. Gee. Basketball is a game of instincts except for truly cerebral players like Fish. You can't expect them to undo all these years of Kobe being the center of attention. If you didn't want them to do that, why keep him out there? You could afford to lose Sunday, but perhaps not on Wednesday,so you may have hurt your team's chances if he can't come back -- which I am pretty confident he can. Oh well. Maybe you will have damaged your team's psyche, though. And yes Turiaff's foul after the whistle did warrant an ejection, whether he meant to hurt Price or not.

• injury not that bad
    May 12, 2008 9:46 a.m.

hopefully Utah won't fall for the lame duck routine of Colby Bryant. Yes he did "tweek" his back but he also finished the game pretty strong. The guy is the best in the NBA - no doubt- but like Michael Jordan he has a way of playing mind games with the competition as well and playing up an injury to lull the compeition into a false sense of security. Hopefully the Jazz won't fall for it. Expect Colby to be 110% on Tuesday.

• Rich
    May 12, 2008 9:14 a.m.

There are reasons Utah won, not excuses for the Lakers' loss. The reasons? Kobe hurt his back, one of the most painful injuries known to man. As one who has had ruptured disks for years, I know what real pain is, and watching Kobe trying to get to his feet a couple of times, I felt for him. Sometimes a back can hurt so bad that you can barely breathe, let alone speak or walk. Kobe should have come out of the game immediately, iced his back down, stretched, and rested his back. Now there's a chance he won't be 100 percent for Game 6, when the referees will give many calls to the Lakers because they'll be playing before a home crowd. Another reason the Jazz won is that Deron Williams was aggressive and hot. Also, Boozer actually left his guy to help out a few times, trusting his teammates to rotate. Gasol missed some critical shots. Turiaff got kicked out. Kobe kept shooting despite his injury, overconfident in his abilities to continue making shots even though he was in pain. Anybody remember how Stockton hurt his eye and kept shooting, and the Jazz ended up getting eliminated?

• 16-0?
    May 12, 2008 9:12 a.m.

Hey Laker fans...I haven't been on the blog since Friday afternoon when you were spouting something about sweeping and going 16-0 on your way to the championship. How's that pipe dream working out for ya?

• Ben Dover....KOBE
    May 12, 2008 9:01 a.m.

That`s why you`ll never be considered the best ever....you are a a phony,and a lot of other things we don`t need to re-mention....

• Phil Jackson
    May 12, 2008 8:58 a.m.

Phil Jackson is a sorry excuse for a good leader. I think he smoked one too many joints back in the day. (I'm sure I saw him inhale when Bear drove the motorcycle by the Laker's bench last time).

I'm guessing every day when Jackson meditates his prayers he gives thanks for Jordan and Pippen, Shaq and Kobe...He certainly doesn't have 9 rings because he's a good coach! Heck, I could have 9 rings if you had me coach teams with the superstars he's had.

He's the most classless coach in the league.

• LB
    May 12, 2008 8:38 a.m.

Give me a stinckin break! Kobe plays to the camera and wants the world to see that when he doesn't win, it's because he has a hangnail or something!
    Phil Jackson has no class either. When the Lakers lose and everybody's healthy, he wants the ball to go to the star to finish off the opponent. When the star's hurt, he doesn't want his playere to pass to Kobe. You lost, Coach, you lost. Take it like a man! And that comment about the foul on Price not being a flagrant 2 is idiotic! The whistle blew, Coach! The "hard foul" came AFTER the play was dead!

• Only in Hollywood
    May 12, 2008 8:36 a.m.

Only in Hollywood can you find a guy who can't get off the court without assistance one minute but can catch a 3/4 court pass, spin, shoot, swish, fist pump and run to half time the next.

Good acting Kobe but I'm not buying it.

• Kobe
    May 12, 2008 8:31 a.m.

I respect Kobe as the best player in the game today but I get frustrated as heck when I see him get calls for finger touches and good defensive plays. I agree with the poster above who said Kobe couldn't have been as injured as he pretended to be. I've had a bad back before and you don't just "can't move" one minute and spin and shoot just fine the next.

I'm suprized the Faker fans aren't blaming the injury on a dirty Jazz player. He "tweaked" his back while not even being touched by a Jazz player.

And can you Fakers get a handle on Phillip? He basically blamed Ronnie Price for getting floored by Turiaf. He said Price initiated the contact and that it was a bad call. I don't think Turiaf intended harm, but he certainly hammered Price.

And speaking of "Priceless" how about Baby Bill Walton getting stuffed like a Thanksgiving Turkey by the smallest player on the court?!

Props to Derek Fisher for gutsy play. I'm glad he didn't totally rip our hearts out. I wish he was playing for the Knicks, not the Fakers. He's way too classy for LA.

• Re:Naha
    May 12, 2008 8:29 a.m.

Who cares what you think?!

• Confused
    May 12, 2008 8:29 a.m.

Spazzfans and RE:GoodguyGary,

Through three games of the Series

Lakers Free throws 126
    Jazz Free Throws 74

And you say that the Lakers don't complain about the ref's.. Why should they?

• mike b
    May 12, 2008 8:27 a.m.

Zakiy-
    Are you on Kobe's level? Are you on the Lakers? I bet if Kobe was traded you'd be one of those laker fans that all of a sudden love the Bulls. By the way you'd never hear Dwill complain and make excuses. And their hall of fame coach blaming the refs.. classy. Lets go jazz get one in LA

• Naha
    May 12, 2008 7:56 a.m.

Personally, I am grateful and thankful not to be at K Bryant's level. He has outstanding athletic skills. I get concerned for many who look to him as a role model. Such personal duplicity.

BTW Zakiy, I get concerned for those who have to write and label others as idiots and haters and feel a need to tell others "shut up"

• Jazz players
    May 12, 2008 7:48 a.m.

Would be embarrassed if they saw some of the comments Jazz fans have written on here. The players respect each other on either team, it's the fans that have no class. Just a week ago you guys were ready to ship Boozer and Sloan out of town. Jazz players know how two faced you guys can be.

• Zakiy
    May 12, 2008 7:43 a.m.

Hate Kobe all you want but give him his respect. The Lakers lost and Kobe was hurt. They didnt lose because he was hurt, but simply because Utah was the better team yesterday. None of you all haters let alone a single person in the entire state of Utah are even on Kobes level. It's the best of seven for a reason idiots.Utah didn't make it this far because they were the worst team, but because they were they fourth best in the West. Oh yeah... Who was number One in the West. Exactly. Shut up.

• RE: GoodGuyGary
    May 12, 2008 7:28 a.m.

The Jazz are the King of excuse makers. Come talk when you can actually win a road game when it counts. Just like Stockton to Malone - ZERO titles.

• Jimmy's Sneakers
    May 12, 2008 7:09 a.m.

Jimmy thinks Kobe is faking too. However, Jimmy thinks the reason Kobe is faking is so he garners more sympathy from the refs, by trying to show them that the Jazz foul him too hard and so much that he is injured.

Jimmy doesn't buy it, but it might work on some of the refs, let's see if they put him to the line another 20 times on Wednesday.

• Spazz Fans - Re: goodguygary
    May 12, 2008 6:52 a.m.

like that? I figured the you guys had Fakers all wrapped up so we needed one. How about Spazz fans?
    Amazing- "Everytime when Lakers lost to Jazz, they will find excuse to explain why they lost"

The last week has been the Spazz fans making excuses about why they lost Games 1 and 2-and blaming the refs.

At least we can admit that the Lakers lost legitimately.

GM3-the bench didn't perform and the team had too many TO. Period. There wasn't a conspiracy or anything like htat.

GM4-Lakers didn't hit their FT, Turiaff 2nd Center was ejected in the 1st half so they had to play their 3rd string center and Kobe had to take jump shots cause his back was tweaked.

These aren't excuses-these are straight up legitimate reasons why my team lost. I'm not blaming the refs like the Jazz fans did after the first 2 games.

Try accepting a loss with dignity. I still call Lakers in 6.

• GoodGuyGary
    May 12, 2008 6:04 a.m.

Everytime when Lakers lost to Jazz, they will find execuse to explain why they lost the game, but not giving Jazz credit how Jazz won the game. Cheap cheap cheap. I didn't watch the game but the block by AK in OT was nice and clean.

• amazing
    May 12, 2008 5:34 a.m.

It was amazing to see how well Kobe healed when the ball went in and how bad he hurt after a turnover. Case in point. The last shot of the first half could not be taken like that by someone who has to helped off from the floor 2 minutes earlier. This guy was trying to get you media buffs to remember the gutsy performance that didn't happen. Phil Jackson fell for it. Calling out his team for not helping poor Kobe. What an idiot. Fisher bailed Kobe and his antics out the best he could.

• Fred
    May 12, 2008 5:34 a.m.

Sounds like Kobe is the first player to ever play with an injury. I am sure glad that Boozers back is not bothering him, and that D-Will is completely healthy.

• If No Excuses
    May 12, 2008 4:19 a.m.

Why does he?

Anyone???

• Anonymous
    May 12, 2008 1:39 a.m.

Wow what language was that written in?

• AK Fan
    May 12, 2008 12:21 a.m.

Poser Faker what else I can say about Kobe. He wasn't MVP 2day. One thing he needs to do go acting school, Where is Hollywoood?