Cannon squeaks into GOP primary

• Janice
    May 20, 2008 10:35 a.m.

It is easy to "prove" anything if you use sound bites, single incidents, or one witness. My overall evaluation (many speeches, many actions, many conversations) leads me to conclude that Jason Chaffetz will receive my vote. He knows what the issues are, speaks to them, his behavior is professional even in the line of fire, and he works hard. He would represent ME, which is what I want.

• Great Scott!
    May 20, 2008 10:09 a.m.

Orange Support, the first part of this comment goes to you. I supported Leavitt throughout the campaign and after the stunt he pulled sending you kids in I'm sorry I did. I do hope that at some point you will learn to stand up for what's right and not do something just because a leader tells you it's OK, what you were asked to do was not OK, it was against the rules. Perhaps you didn't know that at the time, but that's why you were being booed by delegates many of which like me, HAD been Leavitt supporters.

BBKing - I can't believe that you are an ignorant individual because you appear to be well spoken, so I can only assume that you are telling these lies about Chaffetz as a shill for Cannon. I've seen Cannon use these tactics before in two previous elections, and it's apparent to me that you work for him or you would be more civil in your approach and not stoop to personal attacks but would instead stick to the issues.

• Orange Support
    May 12, 2008 9:33 p.m.

I am just bewildered by the ridiculous nature of the people who find it wrong to send food and/or drink to the delegates. I believe that it shows ones that the candidate is grateful for the delegates, as he would not be able to make into office with out them. And to these are elected officials in the delegates if you cannot trust to not be bought of by a bag of popcorn maybe you ought to seriously think about who you are voting in as your state delegates. I think that Chaffetz attacks on Leavitt and Cannon shows his to low class. And as for the brutality of the Chaffetz supporters I will tell you that as i stood there with my Chris Cannon sign above my head I personally a 17 year old kid was called scummy, mindless, low class, and spineless. Please think about you support and what Chaffetz really stands for.

• Chellerella
    May 12, 2008 3:02 p.m.

I was both pleased and disgusted with the convention. I was pleased that 59% of people chose to vote on principles and issues and avoided being bought buy food and drink. I was discouraged that the Cannon supporters I spoke to didn't have anything solid to say in his defense, just that he had seniority. I was pleased by the civility of the Chaffetz volunteers. (I am not sure what lack of civility people keep trying to attach to his name.) I was appalled by the disregard for rules and procedure by both the Leavitt and Cannon campaigns. Three times Leavitt's staff had to be asked, from the podium and disrupting the proceedings, to stop what they were doing. They were informed in front of all the delegates that they were breaking the rules. I kind of felt like I was watching a cheap lawyer trick. Say something you know the judge will ask to be stricken, but the jury hears it anyway. What lack of integrity, civility and statesmanship. Mr. Cannon endorsement of such activity was apparent by his promenade with Leavitt around the convention hall. Shame on both men. They should apologize to their supporters.

• Orange Army
    May 12, 2008 11:52 a.m.

I will have everyone of you guess who read these blogs know that my friend and I were of those Leavitt supporters who marched onto the floor in support of Cannon. Do not think that Leavitt forced us into doing, and that we were given every opportunity to back out, and we CHOSE not to. I feel we were exercising our rights of freedom of speech and letting our voices be heard. Especially since Leavitt was not formally given a chance to put his support behind Cannon. I detest the fact that we are mindless political supporters and ensure you that we gratefully accepted the offer to pledge support behind the far superior candidate.

• arc
    May 12, 2008 10:58 a.m.

This doesn't tell the whole story.
    The last vote, Cannon picked up 35, Jason picked up 34 and 92 walked, either based on the time, or not willing to vote for either. So all the signs picked up 35 votes. If it had picked up 25 votes, this would all be over.

• If...
    May 11, 2008 2:16 a.m.

Chris Cannon, who has one of the most conservative voting records in Congress is having to face a primary???

I can't help but wonder, how many District 3 Republicans would vote for David Duke if he was running against Cannon? Would Cannon still face a primary?

So glad I live in District 1.

• Anonymous
    May 11, 2008 12:24 a.m.

on nov. 4th vote for bennion spencer. he is what will restore utahs credibility on the national level

• 2nd/3rd District
    May 11, 2008 12:03 a.m.

Highland/Alpine were in the 3rd district until a few years ago. They are slated to return to the 3rd district in two years when Utah receives it's expected 4th seat, so that should not be an issue.

Cannon is not a nice man. I saw him use some very offensive language at the convention today. Several other people were there as well, including a reporter. I'm also aware of some incidents involving Cannon and the Mapleton police that have been covered up by the local press.

I also personally heard Cannon on the radio soliciting illegals to donate to his campaign in Spanish. Being a fluent Spanish speaker I understood every word perfectly. The FEC sanctioned Cannons campaign for his actions and required some staffers to attend training.

• Conventions Results
    May 10, 2008 11:41 p.m.

Third Congressional Republican voters will now have the opportunity of choosing between two candidates in the primary election--Chris Cannon or Jason Chaffetz. The winner of the Republican primary for all practical purposes will win the Congressional seat. I think it best that voters in the Republican primary, rather a thousand or so delegates at the convention, get to decide who represents them in Congress. Those in the Third Congressional District would be represented by even a more outstanding official if their was a stong Democratic challenger in the general election, something Republicans should not fear for their party believes in market competition.

Let's hope the candidates and voters stick to the issues, rather than resorting to disparaging the candidates' character. Both candidates should be commended for having the fortitude of character and commitment to public service requisite of those wanting to make a difference. Concentrating on a problem solving, rather than a finger pointing, approach will result in better solutions to the complex problems we face.

• James
    May 10, 2008 11:30 p.m.

And Kevin, I think you get the brownie award of the day. By comparing Jason to Obama, I think we have the final answer. Both are populists, younger, good looking guys. Both are very liberal, speaking to the crowd and at times throwing rhetorical bombs. Both are very inexperienced and both are incredibly lucky from a political point of view. Both are Democrats, though one is jumping ship to get involved in Utah (not the first candidate to do this in Utah mind you.)

And I plan to vote for their opponents in both races.

• S
    May 10, 2008 11:25 p.m.

I was very disappointed in Leavitt's actions at the convention. I watched as he stood with his supporters as they carried in the Cannon signs. He waited until the speaker reminded all that no signs are allowed in the assembly hall, then he sent his supporters out. Leavitt then stepped back out of the room for a few minutes. He returned and stood in the doorway with a huge grin on his face as he watched. Then when Leavitt and Cannon made the rounds of the assembly hall it clearly showed that Cannon endorsed Leavitt's actions. I was pleased to see that as the next vote was taken, Cannon actually lost votes rather than gaining them. I lost respect for both Cannon and Leavitt today. They should both be ashamed.

• Kevin
    May 10, 2008 11:22 p.m.

I kind of like Jason Chaffetz. He gives an excellent speech and says exactly what I want to hear. He kind of reminds me of a young Democratic Senator from Chicago.

• James
    May 10, 2008 11:16 p.m.

The comment about the GOP power structure playing it's hand, regarding Leavitt supporting Cannon. Is this the same Leavitt that did everything he could to remove Chris Cannon from office? Maybe you could stop to consider that maybe Leavitt did that because Jason was such a rude candidate that not even Leavitt wants him as his congressman? From what I understand Jason put out a smear campaign on Leavitt just this morning. That was classy!

Funny calling BBKing sophmoric. At work we follow these deseret news debates and all agree that he is probably the soundest thinker on the issues he posts on. You should read BBKings posts on environmental subjects. You would be the first to call him a name.

• Anonymous
    May 10, 2008 11:13 p.m.

Bennett needs to go. He lied to us when he promised 2 terms. Now he wants at least 4. He's just become another corrupt Washington DC politician who now has stooped to calling the delegates arch-conservatives just because the delegates are sick and tired of DC politics.

• Politcal Guru
    May 10, 2008 10:50 p.m.

This comment is pretty funny:

"Go ahead Republicans, keep tearing each other and the country down. The Democratic convention today was a class act. It's no secret they're the only respectable ones left in this town. Like Dave Hogue, I've finally seen that the Utah Republican party is synonymous with corruption, back-room deals, dirty money, and arrogance. It's time for change. It's time to elect Democrats."

My question is did you and the other 3 Dumborats enjoy the convention?

• BBKing
    May 10, 2008 10:35 p.m.

Chaefetz's own words and explanation of his history is its own condemnation. Chaefetz said it. Not Cannon or anyone else.

Sophmoric? Do you even know what that word means? Chaefetz has spent months twisting and turning.

If I am wrong, great. You had better get Jason to clear it up. By his own words he was on the other side just a few years prior to working for Huntsman. He is an opportunist.

• BBKing
    May 10, 2008 10:32 p.m.

As for Cannon swearing and such.

We start off with the claim that he swore. Once confronted, the claim is dropped. Then someone else claims that Cannon was swearing up a storm. So one says yes then backs off. Then the second one...

It is impossible to prove that it didn't happen. It is up to the accuser to prove that it did.

I will say this, in 15 years of at least hearing and reading of Chris Cannon this would be the first time I have EVER heard him accused of swearing up a storm. So in the mouth of two witnesses...oops...one witness shall every word...

And Chaefetz was fired by Huntsman personally. He was a wreck at managing the office. He was great at PR, his profession, as he proved today. He was horrible at actually doing the job. If he is elected, I promise, the voters of Utah will learn what Governor Jon Huntsman learned the hard way.

Chaefetz is NOTHING without Huntsman's campaign/recognition. Then at convention he attacks the Governor for votes. He should have addressed the issue (environmental policy), not the Governor. He should thank Governor Huntsman. Very poor form!

• RE:BBKing
    May 10, 2008 10:23 p.m.

BBKing is 100% wrong in his statements regarding Mr. Chaffetz. I have known and worked with Jason for many years and his "conversion" to conservatism was complete when I first met him. He is a man of integrity and will work very hard for his district if elected. There are hundreds if not thousands of people in this valley who, although might not agree with him politically, would tell you BBKing is either misinformed or intentionally deceitful regarding Mr. Chaffetz. His slanderous, sophomoric accusation provide the first clue of what will sure to be Mr. Cannons character assassination of a good man in our community.

The good ol boys power structure of the Republican Party showed their true colors today when Leavitt spitefully jumped in bed with Cannon. Mr. Chaffetz is clearly not a welcomed guest at their party. Good luck Jason and GREAT JOB DELEGATES. You almost pulled one off for the rest of us--it is always fun to see the guys in the suits tremble. Hopefully people will see through the money and things will change in the future.

• Editor of Deseret News
    May 10, 2008 10:11 p.m.

I just want to remind everyone that Joe Cannon is the editor of Deseret News. The author completely misrepresented what actually happened at the convention. As was mentioned by Paperboy, we (yes, I was there) booed Chris Cannon AND David Leavitt, as they stood together on the floor campaigning. This was clearly breaking the rules.

You know, maybe Jason isn't the best person for the job, but when the incumbent barely "squeaks" through convention three times in a row, it is time for voters in the 3rd district to get a clue. There is something seriously wrong with him. Vote for change in Washington!

• Mark
    May 10, 2008 10:00 p.m.

Chaffetz does give a rousing speech. I'm still concerned that, like me, he lives in the 2nd congressional district--but is running in the third. It's legal, but to me questionable. Does he really think Rep. Cannon is worse for Republicans than Rep. Matheson?

• hdogg
    May 10, 2008 9:49 p.m.

David Leavitt is a Classy politician... i was there today.... jason lied and mislead about his record several times... jason is charismatic and quick.... but there is something strange about him...his countenance is dim....one more thing.... i heard that governor huntsman does not support chaffetz and that chaffetz was fired from huntsmans' campaign... chris cannon is alot better than chaffetz.. chaffetz can say the right things... but in the end i feel like Chris Cannon is a genuine good man.

• Only in Utah
    May 10, 2008 9:40 p.m.

Butters and Cannon-It's got a ring to it to take the gov's mansion. These two can make us R people very proud!

• Bennett comments and Chaffetz
    May 10, 2008 9:20 p.m.

While the convention had nothing to do with Sen. Bennett, commenter "Bennett?? Not Again!" incorrectly states the Senator's initial campaign promise. It was to "shake up Washington" and that if he could not do so in his first term, he would not run again. Well he did not shake up Washington, and he did run again. Nevertheless, he is possibly the only Utahn in Washington who has a real understanding of any realistic solutions to the immigration problem. Chaffetz, on the other hand has a "seven point" plan on how to deal with illegal immigration, which is nothing more than a recognition of the problem, offering no real solutions. He wants to deny citizenship based on birth alone, and deport 12+ million people, and at the same time cut taxes. Realistic?? Of course not. It's all talk to win votes. While people like Cannon and Bennett may not be charging bulls, they are people who know how to get a job done.

• Matt
    May 10, 2008 9:12 p.m.

Sorry, I am not saying Rep Cannon had a yell out loud rant and rave. I got that he was ticked at flyers getting distributed before ballots went in the boxes (and rightly so, that's not allowed any more than the display on the floor...two wrongs don't make a right). I just find it disappointing that things went down the way they did, though you can understand the over-exuberance that lead to rule breaking. People put a lot of energy and emotion into these things.

Also, I don't think Leavitt or Cannon directed their people to campaign on the floor. People acted on their own...but either of them could have stopped it almost immediately if they cared to. Poor reflection on them, I wonder if it hurt or helped Cannon in the end.

• Anonymous
    May 10, 2008 9:11 p.m.

I could tell there were many Ron Paul supporters at the Utah convention and I am pleased to report that we acted in a very professional manner and represented traditional conservative values of low taxes, small government, free market capitalism, sound fiscal and monetary policy, and a humble foreign policy of non-intervention. I was a state delegate from Salt Lake County and I voted for Dr. Paul in the primary. Most Ron Paul supporters went incognito to the convention and so I think there were many more than people might have suspected. There were many Ron Paul signs and committed volunteers to pass out literature. As a committed Ron Paul supporter, we want to work within the party to return to traditional Republican principles. Kudos to Lowell Nelson for organizing a consensus slate with delegates that were committed to these principles.

I was disappointed that the convention ended without voting on several important resolutions. Also, the proportional representation ammendment to the Utah Republican Constitution was narowly defeated which I thought was tragic as this would have created a much fairer apportioning system of delegates and would have given Republican presidential candidates an incentive to come to Utah and campaign here.

• Re: BBKing
    May 10, 2008 8:57 p.m.

Sorry, but I personally heard Cannon approach several Chaffetz staffers and yell at them using some very colorful language that would make a Stake President blush. As I recall there was a reporter within earshot of the incident, so perhaps it will make the news at some point.

I sincerely hope Cannon loses in the primary, although with the questionable intelligence of the typical Utah and Juab county GOP voters, I don't have much hope.

• paperboy
    May 10, 2008 8:48 p.m.

The reasons the delegates booed Cannon was not to display dislike but because after the Chairman asked for the candidates to refrain from further campaigning on the convention floor before the final ballot Cannon appeared with David Leavitt on the floor to show that Leavitt who was eliminated in the 2nd ballot was throwing his support to Cannon. All of Leavitt's volunteers stampeded onto the floor with Cannon signs. The delegates were not happy with Cannon for ignoring the rules.

• BBKing
    May 10, 2008 8:46 p.m.

One other thing, Cannon was NOT swearing and carrying on. This is PERFECT example of the Chaefetz campaign style.

Years and years ago, Senator Lyndon Johnson of Texas was in a tough race. His opponent was a folksy hog farmer. Johnson was behind and needed something to beat up his opponent. So Johnson anonymously slipped to the media that his opponent had been caught in a sexual escapade, which was not true.

Years later Johnson's close friend spoke about this. When Johnson told his inner circle that they needed to drop this story the campaign manager said,"but it isn't true!" Johnson replied with,"Well of course it isn't true. I just want the whole state of Texas hear him deny it!"

Of course, by denying it you sound guilty as sin. Shakespear said it best: "me thinks he doth protest too much!" Of course, Johnson won that election.

The sun has just barely set on convention day and the Chaefetz camp is already laying their first Democrat Johnsonesque distortions. Why not, he spent almost a year doing it prior to the convention.

May 10, 2008 8:39 p.m.

The last thing we need in Washington is another politician who thinks the rules apply to everyone but him. I find it disconcerting that not one of Leavitt's staffers had the character to step up and say, "No, I won't break the rules for you."

Apparently Leavitt thinks the rules apply only to other people. No thank you. We have enough David Leavitts in Washington.

• bennett WILL face a challenger.
    May 10, 2008 8:38 p.m.

U.S. Senator Bob Bennett will obviously face a challenge, should he make the mistake of running for re-election in 2010.

Gary Herbert (20-years younger than Bob and with a few million dollars in the bank) will OBVIOUSLY make a run for the U.S. Senate in 2010.

Is there anyone out there who thinks that Mr. Herbert WON'T 60% a guy like Mr. Bennett at a GOP convention?

In this state - it's a "60-percent" game at convention. Anyone out there that thinks Herbert can't reach that against a guy like Bennett (who only shows up every six-years)?

Herbert for Senate in 2010 (Bennett or not!)

Advice: RETIRE, Bob. You don't want your legacy to include a convention-defeat, right?

• Anonymous
    May 10, 2008 8:37 p.m.

That is an appropriate headline. Chris Cannon has been "squeaking" by for years - you know, like one of those vermin that squeaks! Hiding in dark corners, preying on opportunities to make a buck and to line the pockets of his buddies... all a bunch of scavengers themselves. When will voters open their eyes and get rid of such a person?!

• BBKing
    May 10, 2008 8:37 p.m.

Mistakes made as a young man? Those are forgiveable. Everyone changes. Jason admitted to delegates that he was a Democrat and very critical of the Republican party and its platform up until shortly before the Huntsman campaign.

Those came from HIS mouth.

He is a world class opportunist. If the 3rd District were 65% Democrat Jason would have been running in that convention. Fact is, he is what ever you want him to be. And he saying what ever sounds good at the moment. His xenophobic rants will run on and on and then he will get sent packing.

And IF by the biggest of mistakes he is elected, he will be as big a joke as Tom Tancredo and will be a one term wonder.

Jason is not a Republican. He is not a Democrat. He is what is best for him. Just watch. Time will prove this statement correct. Tigers don't change their stripes.

• Bennett?? Not Again!
    May 10, 2008 8:01 p.m.

Bennett did not keep his word when he first ran for office and said he would step down after two terms. Why doesn't Utah rise up and reject Bennett for this reason alone?? I cannot stand false campaign promises. It's disgusting. Moreover, Bennett has become so calcified in his many years in DC. His Washington County Land bill has turned into a joke as he waters it down more and more to appease the wacko environmentalists. He's stakes his whole political life on that crazy bill, and I'm telling you it's a tragic sell-out to the extreme enviro-wackos. Bennett, why don't you care more about Utah and more about keeping campaign promises than perpetuating your fifteen seconds of fame into repeated terms. Step down. This is the only way you'll be able to look yourself in the mirror in peace when you get ready for the big interview in the sky and the Big Guy upstairs asks, "did you keep your word?"

• Sean Quigley
    May 10, 2008 7:59 p.m.

• I was also there
    May 10, 2008 7:48 p.m.

And I was so impressed with Leavitt for practicing EXACTLY what he preached throughout the campaign: take a hard stand. Of course people booed him. Leavitt could have faded into the background, given everyone a handshake and a hug, and be well-liked among state delegates who were there. Instead, he decided to take crap from nearly everyone by endorsing who he believed to be the better candidate for Congress. Would any of you had courage to do what Leavitt did for something in which you believe? Obviously, Leavitt didn't want Cannon to win. But the fact that he had the courage to endorse the guy he felt would do a better job is admirable. Frankly, all your criticism of that makes no sense. Leavitt does not have to endorse your second choice. He has the ability and liberty to think on his own.
    Chris Cannon will beat Jason Chaffetz in the primary. Congratulations to the brave Leavitt staffers who made history by doing what they did.
    I now open myself up for enormous ridicule...

• Huh
    May 10, 2008 7:20 p.m.

Matt, were you even there? I was there the whole time and Cannon did no such thing. I was a Ferguson supporter (In full disclosure) but Chris Cannon didn't do what you are saying he did.

Leavitt did show poor taste in how he endorsed, but you can't blame the guy when Jason was as nasty as he was.

Look, is Cannon the best rep, no. Is he a good guy with a level head, yes. Is Jason either of those things? NO.

Jason is an opportunist who can cry all he wants, but I just don't buy it. I will, grudgingly, vote for Chris, he is a good human being and much more statesmenlike then Jason Chaffetz.

• John
    May 10, 2008 7:11 p.m.

PUHLEESE! Senator Bennett wants ANOTHER term in 2010?

His voting record is not strong on Republican principles, and these days he is nearly a RINO. He has grown too comfortable in Washington to remember he represents UTAH in Congress, not the other way around. He has a sense of entitlement that he is owed his seat, and has become too chummy with the enemy to oppose the wacky liberal left which now controls the Senate.
    His past service is appreciated, and has not been as bad as it might be, but it is time for him to end his Senate career.

Thanks for the memories, but NOT ANOTHER TERM for Bennett!

Maybe a real conservative like 1st District Congressman Rob Bishop or Attorney Genearl Mark Shurtleff or Lt. Governor Gary Herbert will challenge Bennett.

• Chaffetz was Amazing
    May 10, 2008 7:05 p.m.

I was at the convention today and I was so impressed with Jason Chaffetz. His speech was incredible. I had been torn between Chaffetz and Leavitt before today, but Leavitt and Cannon both showed their true colors in the end. They colluded to deliberately flaunt the rules. Mr. Leavitt, in his bitterness, was quick to shed the role of the "statesman" he had campaigned on.

Chaffetz remained a class act to the end. I would never consider voting for Mr. Leavitt for any office after what I saw today.

• Eric Nordstrom
    May 10, 2008 6:57 p.m.

John McCain is a Republican by title only. Ron Paul is a Republican by action.

There is no such thing as "Ron Paul Supporter" there are only Republicans and McCain Supporters.

The NeoCon "trojan-horse" has been identified and the match is lit to burn it down.

• arc
    May 10, 2008 6:57 p.m.

If Chaffetz lost winning this outright by 6 votes, it wasn't may vote that cost him DC. A bad move by releasing a flyer today about Leavitt was the problem.

Name only will likely get Cannon back to DC. Jason is a better choice than Chris. Perhaps Chris should realize that he should not run and bow out. With using national GOP money, and outside utah support, perhaps it would be better if Cannon represented an other state.

I was surprised Leavett approached Cannon to support Cannon. He either didn't like Jason's caustic negative comments, or was just being a little too proud to help get rid of Cannon.

• RE: BBKing
    May 10, 2008 6:57 p.m.

Sorry, you apparently listen to two-second one-liners to inform you on politics. Chaffetz is a fine Republican and has been for years. Working on a Democratic campaign because of family ties when a young adult doesn't mean a person is fooling the world now. I will agree with you that he does take too hard a line on immigration though. Overall, I think he has been very impressive in his campaign and he seems like the right guy to replace Cannon, though I disagree on the capital punishment and immigration stances (and I'm sure a few others will also pop up once we hear more).

• Matt M, Herriman
    May 10, 2008 6:43 p.m.

Full disclosure, I was a delegate supporting Chaffetz. Apparently Chaffetz came up about 6 votes shy of winning 60% outright (out of ~1,000). The Leavitt campaign resorted to some poor sportsmanship on the convention floor, bringing in Cannon signs after losing (which is prohibited). During the final vote of Chaffetz vs. Rep. Cannon, Mr. Cannon threw a major fit, swearing and all, upset that the Chaffetz people were trying to sway the Leavitt voters in the hallway (how dare they think for themselves once their candidate was out!). In all I thought Leavitt and Cannon showed some very poor taste in the end. All of the candidates are viable Congressmen, but this primary will be very interesting. Well see if Chri$$$ Cannon finally gets voted out in a few months.

• Brad
    May 10, 2008 6:33 p.m.

Leavitt demonstrated he was no "statesman" by sending his staff onto the floor with Cannon signs after he lost and was asked to remove the signs. He just showed he is another typical politician. Also, when asked to remove his "Leavitt Supports Cannon" sign, his staff was very slow to comply as well. Oh well, now Cannon will outspend Chaffetz by another 10 to 1 in the primary and things will be business as usual in DC. Nothing ever changes. When voting in the primary...please listen to Mr. Chaffetz and don't cast your vote just because you recognize the incumbent's name.

• BBKing
    May 10, 2008 6:26 p.m.

Lots of people are getting schnookered by Chaefetz. Up until working with Huntsman he was a pretty solid Democrat. He has spent most of his adult life bashing the values the average Republican holds dear. I know that early on in the process as he met with last cycles delegates he wouldn't even talk about immigration. Once he talked to enough to get a sense what they wanted to hear, he is almost xenophobic about the issue. Just like Jacobs, Cook and others.

Congratulate him for doing well in a convention dominated by the right-wing of the Republican party. Now he goes before rank and file Republicans, with many independents, and his 'deport'em all' routine isn't going to go over as well.

Nice guy, wrong for the Republican party.

Now to see what the rest of the state thinks.