Sen. Orrin Hatch focuses on three priorities in the new year

• ReaganFan Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 11, 2012 8:50 a.m.

It's hard to believe that any conservative Republican would want Olympia Snowe to control over half of the federal budget. She is the ONLY member of the GOP that voted for Obamacare for goodness' sake! If President Obama is reelected and Olympia Snowe becomes Chair of the Finance Committee, you can look forward to full-fledged European health care socialism. Why anyone would prefer the most liberal Republican in the Senate to the very conservative Orrin Hatch is nothing short of bewildering.

• SamESmall Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2012 6:59 p.m.

Senator Hatch has been consistent in sponsoring a Balanced Budget Amendment and Flag Desecration Amendment. His support of Hill AFB is widely known and his support in the Senate was critical along side Representative Jim Hansen in the House keeping Hill off of the chopping block. We need Orrin's clout if we are going to keep Hill during the next BRAC.

I want ObamaCare defunded and as Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee he will be positioned where he can do it. If Orrin isn't Chair, Olympia Snow will become chair due to her seniority and no naive freshmen Senator from Utah can stop it no matter how much of a pest he makes of himself with Senate Leadership.

I believe Senator Hatch when he says voting for TARP was a mistake and I agree, it was!

• clang ROY, UT
    Jan. 10, 2012 4:56 p.m.

Why did Senator Hatch vote for TARP and now say he wished he hadn't? Smells like lobbying mischief to me-

• milano SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 10, 2012 1:44 p.m.

It seems to me that most of the rants against Senator Hatch fail to include facts. Senator Hatch has helped keep Hill Air Force open, keeping thousands of jobs here in Utah. He has helped appointment conservative judges to the US Supreme Court and other district courts, has stood strong on social issues, fights for the Right to Work that we have here in Utah, and is in a position to help fix the tax code, reform social security, and reduce spending. Those are facts and that is why I support Senator Hatch's re-election.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 8:53 p.m.

How many companies pay Health Benefits for their retirees?

Senator Hatch will retire with Health Benefits from the Federal Government.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 4:01 p.m.

Sen. Orrin Hatch has been part of the problem...

for 36 years.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 3:32 p.m.

Does Sen. Hatch REALLY want to SERVE the citizens of Utah?

Or; (and this is my take) he REALLY WANTS: front row tickets to Jazz games (when he's in town), priority seating to Mormon Tabernacle choir broadcasts, and last, (but not least) continued lobbyists' support?

Step aside Senator, let someone else have a chance to do serve the citizens of Utah!

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 1:21 p.m.

To Iron Rod | 2:00 p.m. Jan. 8, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I would be interested in reading someone's defense of our
    Senator and why we should not retire him.

I am open to new ideas.
    =================

The only suggestion I can make is that the Republicans running against him might (and most likely will) be worse.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 1:19 p.m.

To one old man | 2:19 p.m. Jan. 8, 2012

I think the fact pattern in your comment (nominal property in Pennsylvania) describes Rick Santorum, not Orrin Hatch. Hatch lives in Virginia, but maintains a token residence in Utah.

• john mclane Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 11:45 a.m.

Orrin Hatch:
    "(Under G.W. Bush) it was standard practice not to pay for things."

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Jan. 9, 2012 10:09 a.m.

This guys voted in favor of the patriot act, encourages citizen spying and voted yes on the indefinate detention of U.S. citizens. I don't see a good reason to vote for this guy at all.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 10:03 a.m.

Oh wait, it's only been the last 3 years that brought us record high debt and deficits.

Hatch hasn't been paying attention. Another good reason to send him packing back to PA.

• newintown WOODS CROSS, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 6:52 a.m.

Rarely do we see both sides of the aisle on these pages so uniformly against one persons reelection bid...but here it is. I am certain that a defender will pop up soon, but when even I agree with Esquire, it is notable.

"Mr. Moss, 18 years is too long for anyone to serves in the senate...time for you to come home. If elected, I promise not to serve more than 3 terms..."

I agree, this is not an exact quote, but it is really close. It was on his billboards in 1976, before my grandchildren's parents were born. Forget the malarky about chairmanship of the finance committee. His 1,2 and 3 priority is to maintain his status quo.

• newintown WOODS CROSS, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 6:45 a.m.

I stopped reading after, "I've always chosen the path to the right (double entendre' noted)...

• UTAH Bill Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 2:12 a.m.

Mr. Hatch needs to go away. Frankly, I don't even card who replaces him - as long as he is gone. His credibility is ZERO.

• liberal larry salt lake City, utah
    Jan. 8, 2012 5:06 p.m.

"Sen. Orrin Hatch focuses on three priorities in the new year"

1) Orrin's priority is to focus on getting reelected.
    2) After extensive review Mr. Hatch has decided that his second priority in 2012 is getting reelected.
    3) Priority # three is subject to revision, but it would appear that #3 is for Orrin Hatch to get reelected.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 4:44 p.m.

@ one old man, I'm pretty sure that Hatch does not keep a home in PA. His home is in Oakton, VA. His kids were raised there, and his wife has her life there. This is a good family, but they are not really Utahns. In the past, Hatch used a hotel room in SLC as his Utah "residence", and he has also used his mother's home as his Utah "residence". But I don't know what his arrangement is now. But does it matter? He has been there too long now.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 8, 2012 4:30 p.m.

re: one old man,

There are no White Page telephone listing for Orrin Hatch in Pennsylvania.

Wikipedia only shows that he was born in Pennsylvania.

A Google search, "Orrin Hatch, Pennsylvania" showed no current residence in Pennsylvania.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 2:19 p.m.

I tried to ask what I think is a perfectly legitimate question, but DN wouldn't let it pass. I'll ask it again.

I keep hearing that Hatch does not really reside in Utah. The story is that he and his family actually live in Pennsylvania but that he maintains an address here so he qualifies to be Utah's Senator. He supposedly spends almost no time in Utah and visits for political meetings or fund raising.

What is the truth? Can some news reporter investigate and let us know?

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 2:00 p.m.

I would be interested in reading someone's defense of our
    Senator and why we should not retire him.

I am open to new ideas.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 1:49 p.m.

"First and foremost is reining in runaway government spending"

Does this apply to preemptive wars? I believe our Senator was on the Senate Intelligence Committee when we attacked Iraq for reasons that later proved to be questionable.

Most people generally feel the current cost of the war in Iraq is a little under one trillion dollars and when you figure in the cost in the future it could run as high as two or three trillion dollars.

In my humble opinion this could also be classified as "runaway government spending"

Now for the future correct me if I am wrong but does not our Senator support military action against Iran?

Tell me who will pay for this? Could this borrowed money also be classified as "runaway government spending"?

• goatesnotes Kamas, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 12:44 p.m.

In his 36th year as a Senator in his 78th year of age, a logical person (forget party here) would conclude if he didn't get the job done in all that time, he surely would not ask voters to give him six more years until he's 84 years old. . . or would he? No politician running for a political office statewide in Utah has ever been elected at his age.

He just assumes we can't live without him.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 8, 2012 11:30 a.m.

Mr. Hatch sold us down the river when he voted for the defense bill that allows the President to jail us for any reason (that he dreams an act of treason) without telling us why we were charged, without allowing us legal council and without allowing us to be tried by our peers.

Mr. Hatch has thrown out the 4th, the 5th, the 6th, and the 7th Amendments by his vote.

Just what Constitution does he stand for? OUR Constitution defends the very freedoms that he voted to take away.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 10:27 a.m.

What a hypocrite! Hatch has totally caved and is now spouting the rhetoric of the far right radical extremists. He's doing that just so he can get elected.

Sad -- we deserve better.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 8:47 a.m.

Hatch has only one priority. Getting himself elected. Don't be fooled by all the other rhetoric. He is notorious for saying one thing in Utah and doing quite the opposite in Washington. If you love what Washington is doing now, what the Senate is doing (or not doing), then Hatch is your guy. Remember, a large part of his time as Senator, he was in the majority and a committee chairman. Did things get better or change? Nope. Keep that in mind, folks. It's his demagoguery that drives me nuts.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 8, 2012 8:27 a.m.

Politicians are shameless hypocrites, they get the nation in trouble, they do nothing to solve the current problems they helped to cause and then they make vain promises to the voters that they are actually going to go to work and make things better just as soon as they can fool the voters into re-electing them to their self-serving seats for another term.

• David King Layton, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 12:25 a.m.

"the status quo of the past three years that brought us record high debt and deficits"

Senator Hatch, you voted for Medicaid Part D, so you know something about deficits. You also voted for the bank bailout, and say now it "was probably a mistake." But you still insist we avoided a great depression because of it. If you believe your vote helped to avoid a great depression, stand by it. Believe in something.

"decades and government intrusion into the lives of Americans like we've never seen before"

Like the Patriot Act and the NDAA, both of which you supported

"That's why I've long championed a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution"
    The only bigger waste of time than a Balanced Budget Amendment is the flag burning amendment. It will never get passed, and Congress could balance the budget right now if they had the guts. They don't need any more authority to do so.

"yet bureaucrats in Washington continue to cave to political pressures"
    speaking in the third person, maybe?

"It's a challenging time for our country, but I'm determined make our nation stronger as a result"
    the best way to do that is let someone else in