BYUtv giving greater exposure for McCann, Cougars

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 10:31 p.m.

Having watched BYUtv for some time now, I would say it is getting better each year. So far, I would grade the sports coverage a B+.

As for ratings of the Armed Forces Bowl, I would be interested to see how its ratings matched up verses other bowls games played on ESPN during the day. Anyone know those numbers?

@Gilligan 12:28

You might be stunned to hear this, but there were in fact some BYU fans hoping Utah beat Georgia Tech. I know this because I was one of them. I listened to the entire game and was happy the Utes won. I even made several positive comments on this website after the game.

Did any Ute fans cheer for BYU in the Armed Forces Bowl?

And don't say, "We didn't watch it because we don't care," because I know there were more than a few Ute trolls both before and during the game saying things like, "I'm a Tulsa fan today."

@Naval Vet

BYU fans troll Utah articles and Utah fans troll BYU articles.

This shouldn't surprise anyone.

By the way, THANK YOU for your service to our country.

• Cougar in Texas Houston, TX
    Jan. 11, 2012 11:55 a.m.

sportsfanforlife:
    Logic doesn't work too well on Utah fans either in case you hadn't noticed.

Naval Vet:
    The date and time of the 2011 Armed Forces Bowl broadcast were set in April 2011, before the opponents were even known. The bowl game time used to be in the early afternoon but has had a morning start for the last 3 or 4 years.

And yes, your proclivity for commenting on BYU sports articles does indicate an inexplicable obsession with a school and team you feel are inferior.

• altahoops Provo, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 6:27 p.m.

I was at my brother house and watch a BYUTV broadcast on DISH. Ouch! The picture was lousy. I have rabbit ears at my house and the digital signal is HD and everything looks crystal clear. One of the best channels on my TV.

I too want to voice my gratitude for having the option to watch BYU sports again. Best move Holmoe has ever made getting out of that terrible Mtn contract. Independence was worth it for that one reason alone.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 4:51 p.m.

@naval vet as been said once before... DO NOT use logic with cougar fans it just makes them more and more confused.. sad i know but thats y fans for ya..

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Jan. 9, 2012 2:56 p.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad:

"And yet YOU obviously care, soooo much! Thanks for adding your support! Love us or hate us, at least you are here."

And...since you responded to me...I suppose that means you obviously care soooo much about what Ute fans think of you and your mid-majorey, Indy-WACey program. Typical hypocritical coug.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Jan. 9, 2012 2:14 p.m.

Naval vet,

And yet YOU obviously care, soooo much! Thanks for adding your support! Love us or hate us, at least you are here. I don't know how many cougar trolls commented on the Utah article because frankly, my dear, I don't give a darn!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Jan. 9, 2012 1:45 p.m.

Gilligan:

I certainly saw a small troop of frantic and emotional cougar fans wildly cheering for the Yellow Jackets in the stadium near MY seat while I was at the game. And, in typical cougar fashion, celebrated a Ga. Tech win before the game ended, then made a fine exit after the officials signaled JWIV's game winning touchdown.

I find it very unlikely that those Y fans were in Dallas the morning before. Oh well. I guess they just wanted to see what REAL football; BIG BOY football looked like, and knew they weren't going to see much of that their nobody-cares bowl vs. the 3rd-place CUSA nobody-cares-either.

• Gilligan West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 12:28 p.m.

Of the 4.1 million watching the Sun Bowl: 3.5 million was Georgia Tech and BYU Fans hoping for a loss

• BYU Athletics PROVO, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 12:20 p.m.

Here are some past names of head coaches that have come through the BYU football program:
    Bart Andrus, Rocky Mountain College, 1996; Amsterdam Admirals, 2001
    Brian Billick, Baltimore Ravens, 1999-2007
    Gary Buer, Dakota State, 1977-78; Southwest State, 1979-92, Southern Virginia, 2003
    Jim Criner, Boise State, 1976-82; Iowa State, 1983-86
    Todd Shell, San Jose Sabercats, 1995-98
    Mike Sheppard, Long Beach State; New Mexico, 1987-1991
    Ted Tollner, USC, 1983-86; San Diego State, 1994-2001

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Jan. 9, 2012 10:49 a.m.

CougarBlue:

"I imagine the Potato Bowl had more viewers because of the time slots. Friday morning was not a good time slot for a game, most people were working. Got to work on that in the future."

The Armed Forces Bowl had been broadcast by ESPN since its inception [2003]. Therefore, ESPN could have aired that game anytime they wanted. However, since that bowl game is so very mid-majorey, and featured 2 uninteresting opponents with little national appeal, they stuck it in a timeslot wherein they wouldn't lose too much money. For all the talk cougar fans have been boasting regarding their relationship with ESPN, your "broadcasting partners" sure didn't provide a very good venue for exposure. 10:00am MST? Haha! That probably had to compete with "Sesame Street".

I love how Duckhunter taunted Utah fans -- prior to our respective bowl games of course -- about how the Armed Forces Bowl would have more viewers than the much more prestigious Sun Bowl, and how nobody would go to our game. Now that the Nielsen Ratings have been released, the Sun Bowl's television audience was "exposed" as greater than TWICE the audience of the Indy-WACers. I must also "LOL" at how nearly 18,000 more fans attended the Sun than sat in the Armed Forces. I sure haven't seen much of Duckhunter lately. I think he's "duck"-ing me now.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Jan. 9, 2012 8:04 a.m.

But speaking of numbers:

2 million fans tuned in to watch the Cougars beat Tulsa in the Armed Forces Bowl.

2.4 million fans watched Utah State lose to Ohio in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

4.1 million fans watched Utah beat Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl.

Yes, I am aware that Utah had the best TV date and time for their bowl game. But the numbers are an inarguable measure of how much "exposure" the teams got in their respective bowl games.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Jan. 9, 2012 7:52 a.m.

This is a nice feel good story, but I would like to know the numbers associated with the "increased exposure" that BYU is getting.

How many TV sets are tuning in to watch the teams play?

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 10:33 a.m.

Love BYUTv and Dave McCann. Just ONE HUGE PROBLEM, No HD on Direct TV! Until Direct TV offers BYUTv in HD it still looks poor and not first rate. Direct TV you are missing out on a phenomenal opportunity.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Jan. 7, 2012 10:29 p.m.

@Pick 6

As a BYU fan, I have been able to watch every game my team plays and can record the ones I can't see live. How many games do the Utah fans get to see( as if anybody would want to)? Not just Mormons watch BYU games any more than just Catholics watch Notre Dame games. And, if Mormons in 151 countries are the only ones who watch BYU sports on tv and I'm one of them, that's okay with me. But you've got to know that potential recruits are watching BYU. Do you think they are watching Utah? You're probably lucky that they aren't.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 9:40 p.m.

Pick 6 Your comments have no support whatsoever. There are numerous other people besides LDS who watch BYUtv. Your hate for BYU shines bright. I know of many non LDS in California watch BYU sports.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 7:45 p.m.

For those who are dissing BYUtv.........actually a lot of non mormons watch it......nationwide and worldwide.

• Simple Man Riverton, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 6:58 p.m.

HCB63

If you are with Dish or DirectTV, they don't relay the signal in HD, only standard definition. That's why I've chosen to go with PC connection as described earlier.

If you're getting the HD signal, you would know it...Comcast broadcast looks great.

Your post leads me to believe you are not one who really cares to know...only one who cares to complain and tear down.

• kugrlover Provo, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 6:51 p.m.

Totally agree with LonestarRunner.I was watching on Comcast they day they threw the switch at the BYU Broadcasting Building and went HD. It was, and is STUNNING.

Maybe HCB63 needs to get rid of the rabbit ears or the SAT dish and go with Comcast.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 6:24 p.m.

HCB63

Don't know what channel you're watching, but HD BYUtv's picture is every bit as good as what I see on ESPN HD. Try tuning into the HD channel (channel 647 on Comcast) instead of the LD channel.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 5:42 p.m.

If memory serves Fowler was on the Mtn & wasn't IMO good.

I still recall the emotion in his voice during the closing moments of the 2008 Holy war.

• Cougar Passion Riverton, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 5:03 p.m.

Re: Honor Code @ 2:21pm: 'And just how many "die hard" BYU fans that really live out there in this world???'

I grew up in northern Idaho (yes, one of the "congregated" areas you mentioned, although the bulk of the LDS there are only in southeastern Idaho) and Washington State. Outside of Utah, I have also lived in northern and southern California, Japan, and Hong Kong. I know not everyone's experience is the same, but, the vast majority of American LDS members I have met outside of Salt Lake County have been BYU fans. And, yes, they are "die hard" fans. I remember a few years ago at Priesthood Session in Orange County when Pres. Hinckley said they would be ending the session a bit early for the BYU football game to follow shortly thereafter. A sizable chunk of those in attendance remained for the game as well. I seem to remember it was a rather late evening for all of us.

• Bluecat82 Minneapolis, MN
    Jan. 7, 2012 3:47 p.m.

Apparently some of you either didn't read the article or chose to ignore this sentence because it didn't fit your agenda:

"BYU's home game with No. 6 Baylor stands out. Baylor fans were impressed with BYUtv's broadcast and openly praised its production and objectivity. 'It may have opened up doors outside of sports, but the game drew them to it.'"

Now..."fans" is a vague number...could mean 2, could mean 200...but obviously there were some folks who normally wouldn't be watching BYUtv tuning in that afternoon.

I believe that's called "gaining greater exposure"...

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Jan. 7, 2012 2:21 p.m.

I think it's awesome that BYU can expose their team(s) on the BYU channel! Then again, when you're playing patsy teams in the WAC and WCC eventually you lose your fan base!! And just how many "die hard" BYU fans that really live out there in this world??? Most congregate in Utah and Idaho. Outside of that there's many Church members that cheer for other sports programs!

• HCB63 Orem, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Anyone who thinks the BYU-TV efforts thus far are acceptable have not been paying attention to good coverage on the national networks. To start, the picture quality coming from the new HD facility is worse than analogue. I've written the station mgmt on the issue several times and have heard nothing back as to efforts or solutions to the problem. The picture quality is definitely hindering viewership increases.

Secondly, the on-field and courtside "reporting" is pathetic, at most. These student reporters show their obvious inexperience and make the broadcast reek of amateurism.

As far as McCann and other booth personnel, McCann himself is OK; but Fowler is not--nor ever has been--a good color commentator. His favortism is glaring, and lends strong insincerity to his commentary. Steve Cleveland is knowledgable, but still has to get comfortable with his commenting.

The broadcasts of volleyball, baseball, soccer, etc are even worse in video quality and commenting efforts. The broadcasts come off as something resembling a 1960's presentation.

In short, BYU-TV has a long, long way to go before it becomes a competitive, legitimate and worthwhile sports viewing network.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 7, 2012 1:32 p.m.

McCann really does a great job! He brings professionalism and credibility to BYUtv Sports. Sounds like a tough schedule he keeps, but I, for one, appreciate it.

I like True Blue, the pre-game football programming, and Legends. BYUtv is establishing a great model.

I watched the Longhorn Network at a friends house, and they have a long way to go before they reach BYUtv's level.

• 6'8 Lehi, Utah
    Jan. 7, 2012 12:04 p.m.

I really enjoy McCann's style on TV. He's well spoken. He seems quite objective (perhaps forced to because he knows fans from the other team are watching). He calls it the way he sees it, both good and bad (if there's an elephant in the room, he'll point it out). His commentary usually aligns with the way I see it, which makes it more pleasant to listen to him as he commentates. But what I like most about him is that he separates his feelings from what comes out of his mouth. It's hard for me to stay out of a bad mood listening to Greg Wrubell when the Cougars are losing. He let's his emotions get the best of him, and the bad energy makes a bad thing (Cougars losing) feel even worse. McCann doesn't do that. How he remains so calm and even tempered, despite his schedule and apparent lack of sleep, is quite amazing. Impressive guy.

• Cougar Alumni Beaver, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 12:04 p.m.

I don't know what the hype is about, we had GREAT exposure! On Friday Dec 30th at 10:00 am ESPN announced that the game was being broadcast nation wide!

I just hope my boss never finds out I called in sick to watch the game. A mere inconvenience.

One suggestion, Mr.Holmoe need's to talk to ESPN to schedule the games on Monday evening, that would make for a great family home evening night for me and the kids!

Cougar Nation around the nation!

• Pick 6 Eureka, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 11:49 a.m.

Bluecat82,

Just sayin, all I have heard is how the "National Exposure" would tenfold. After one season of Independence it is certain that:

1) Only Mormons would even tune into BYUtv
    2) Many of those Mormons who watch BYUtv don't watch the sports on it.
    3) Of those Mormons that watch the sports, many of them didn't enjoy this season as much in football for WAC reasons.
    4) Nobody can watch an ESPN covered bowl game at 12 noon on Friday... during work. Or let alone those little kids couldn't watch the BYU/Utah St. game at 8:00 PM.

You know, Baylor does have a great team in both football and basketball... maybe you're right, I'll go cheer for them.

• News For U Sandy, Utah
    Jan. 7, 2012 11:35 a.m.

@ Bluecat82

"Because, of course, there are sooooooo many Mormons that support Baylor".

Mormons don't support Baylor, Baptists do!

• Bluecat82 Minneapolis, MN
    Jan. 7, 2012 11:13 a.m.

Pick 6
    Eureka, UT
    "Giving greater exposure"

..To Mormons only.

_______________________________

Because, of course, there are sooooooo many Mormons that support Baylor...

• Rockyrd Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 7, 2012 10:37 a.m.

Dave McCann is a good guy. After the BYU game in Prescott Valley AZ, he spent some time talking to my two grandsons and me. He gave them encouragement for their future endeavors. He was very down to earth and took lots of time with us.

As an out of state BYU fanatic who used to watch the ticker for BYU scores, to have the games available now is a dream come true. We enjoy McCann, Coach Cleve, Blaine and Robbie. Very professional. Keep us the great work.

• Pick 6 Eureka, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 9:57 a.m.

"Giving greater exposure"

..To Mormons only.

• Simple Man Riverton, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 9:50 a.m.

Ooops, meant True Blue, not Cougar Blue...

• Simple Man Riverton, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 9:47 a.m.

BYUtv is one of the best things ever for BYU sport fans!

Dave, Blaine, Coach Cleveland, Robbie...they all do a great job.

Because DirectTV refuses to broadcast BYUtv in high def, I connect my laptop to my large HD TV through an HDMI connection and get a great HD picture (ethernet connection works better than wireless), with the ability to watch games/programming anytime.

Love the Cougar Blue and Legends segments. Great job...I couldn't be happier with what's delivered!

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    Jan. 7, 2012 9:03 a.m.

RE: Uncle Rico

I was curious about the tv ratings... where did you find the numbers?

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    Jan. 7, 2012 8:52 a.m.

Cool article. Not a huge fan of Dave or Blaine, but they do a respectable job and it was great being able to read about Dave's schedule. BYUtv is certainly opening doors and providing exposure. I love being able to watch most games out here in Indiana, and especially love the DVR feature so I can watch late games the next day. Go Cougs!

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 8:50 a.m.

More people watched the Idaho Potato bowl than watched the Armed Forces Bowl. How sad is that?

• Latter-day Conservatives WEST JORDAN, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 7:15 a.m.

Dave and Blaine Fowler are great on BYUtv! BUT.... if ANYONE with BYUtv reads these comments ... the young reporter Bobby B.? is VERY difficult to watch. He resembles an intern high school reporter and portrays a very non-professional image to all worldwide BYTtv viewers? He makes the Mntn. look superior. Is he related to some BYU administrator?
    My wife cahnges the channel when he is talking!?!?!??!??!?

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 6:34 a.m.

It is a great day to be a cougar and will be for years to come. We are looking at something that will turn into very great things in the years ahead.

Way to go Dave, coach Cleveland and Blaine. AND way to go Cougars, to bring exciting sports to the rest of the world. This will bring us more exposure and recruits than anyone can imagine.

• 93 COUGAR Orem, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 4:31 a.m.

These guys are doing a great job. Just go read the comments on the opponents message boards after the games. They love BYUtv and are glad to be on tv. The BYU admins wanted exposure and they are getting it.

All of the announcers are doing a great job.

I love seeing EVERY game this year. Sometimes I try to find some of the other local teams and they are nowhere to be seen. Although with the level of play for one of the teams, it is probably just as well. Kidding, kidding....

Great time to be a Cougar!

• cougarNV Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 7, 2012 1:41 a.m.

Love Dave and Blaine way better than anything I saw on the Mountain West Network.

Dave is as Good as any Game Caller previous to him. Thanks for the good work.

• The Triple C LAS VEGAS, NV
    Jan. 7, 2012 1:08 a.m.

Dave and BYUtv are an awesome combination. He's got a ton of experience which is really helping establish BYUtv's legitimacy. I'm one of those Baylor fans that appreciated his even-handed calling of that nail-biter at the Marriott Center. Hope Dave likes airplains because we don't want to lose him here in Las Vegas; but he's got to keep rockin' on BYUtv.

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Jan. 6, 2012 11:13 p.m.

Good job Harmon. It is great to pull up BYUTV on the computer and watch the game. I was able to keep tabs on the BYU - LMU game before the work day was done. The picture is not the best, but it is better than only radio coverage. I do not subscribe to cable, but it sure is fun to watch. Love the world wide coverage.

Go Cougars.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Jan. 6, 2012 11:06 p.m.

Love Dave and his color guys coach Cleveland and Blaine Fowler. BYUtv is a much better product with Dave as the tv voice of the Cougars.