BYU-Idaho town outlaws texting, crossing street; study reveals dangers

• desert dweller SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:12 p.m.

I hope they pass a law that requires people to clean their room once a week to. oh and may they also pass a law that requires all citizens to fold their sox and not roll them before putting them in the drawer.

• welcomethemall Nampa, ID
    Sept. 22, 2011 1:44 p.m.

Oh it gets better! Rexburg also tried to outlaw listening to music (w/ earbuds/headphones) while crossing the street. But the outcry from the students was too great.

Mayberry was cosmopolitan compared to the Burg. You can almost hear Deputy Fife... "Andy - they were listening to their bumpetybump music and doing that tapping-thing with their thumbs and made me have to slow down my so-big-I-must-be-compensating-4X4 even though they had the right-of-way. It's criminal that we have to watch out for those cornsolid pedestranian kids who have no respect for common decency! We have to do something Andy!"

You know it's bad when going to Idaho Falls is "headin' to the city."

It's even worse when some dude from Nampa makes fun of your town.

• Kathy. Iowa, Iowa
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:26 a.m.

You can still surf the internet and read a book while crossing a street? Are they going to stop everyone that is looking at their phone/tablet? Seize it to see if they are reading or sending a text? That sounds a little bit over the top.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:19 a.m.

I think Rexburg still has a law against passing gas in public also. I liked my time at Ricks and Rexburg was a great place to live. This law just strains credibility.

• Paul in MD Montgomery Village, MD
    Sept. 22, 2011 6:57 a.m.

It IS sad that we have to be protected from ourselves. "Survival of the fittest" is deemed a cruel concept.

On the other hand, you have the woman falling into the fountain while walking and texting (which I see several times a week on the video screen at the counter at Burger King a couple times a week), and the guy in New York City who last year walked into the side of a parked city bus while walking and texting.

The problem is this isn't "victimless". These folks end up in the ER, having their insurance pay the costs of their stupidity which goes on everyone's tab, or worse, having the system pick up the cost of the ones who don't have insurance. Not to mention the traffic snags caused when the police have to investigate. We all end up paying for this carelessness in thousands of little ways.

Much of this could be avoided by parents teaching a little self-discipline and personal responsibility, something that seems to be in increasingly short supply these days.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Sept. 21, 2011 10:38 p.m.

Just ban texting period.
    I don't like it. I will not pay for it. Some clown has been texting me on my land line! What's up with that? I delete the messages without even listening to them.

Teens don't need cell phones for the most part.

Many youth cannot engage in normal social relations. They can't talk to a person but they sure can text, email and gab on the cell phone.

Give me back the human race.

• Bearone Monroe, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Next law to be put on the books-----
    You must not take a breath while crossing the street!

Research has shown beyond doubt that every person hit while crossing the street was breathing at the time.

I recommend that every person cited for texting while crossing street should plead not guilty! After the officers start spending their days in court proving their case, they will decide it is not worth writing the tickets.

BTW, if you plead not guilty, they will have to obtain the cell phone records to prove their case---that is not a really simple process.

• FarnsworthPMacGillicuddy Layton, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 7:06 p.m.

Rexburg certainly isn't Provo-North, but having driven there on numerous occasions the locals can't seem to comprehend that their once small little "burg" has grown exponentially thanks to BYU-I. The economy of that area has been given a huge boost from the students, yet, the locals always resent the students, which makes zero sense.
    Of course having an idiot kid oblivious to anything walking out in front of you,texting merrily away, walking like the Rexburg locals drive is most annoying and dangerous to their health. It's a wash as to who is worse.

• Sparky908 Yakima, WA
    Sept. 21, 2011 6:30 p.m.

As a graduate of said institution I'm first not surprised this law passed, secondly totally understand why it is needed and third saw this one coming a mile away. Every year you have a collision of mindsets, those of the people of Rexburg and then those young minds of mush that show up to attend. The residents are concerned about maintaining the peace and safety of the town, the students (of an entitled mentality) show up and start to exercise their new found freedom.

As a father of 5 I know how irresponsible and aloof approach most teenagers have with cell phones. I've considered rehab for two of them. They now attend college and have to follow cell phone rules that are laid out. Perhaps I think the best response would be, "laws are made for those who can't govern themselves". A little bit of control and restraint and this whole problem/issue goes away.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 5:24 p.m.

I'm glad we live where people have disdain for the nanny state.

• HoboJoe Glendale, AZ
    Sept. 21, 2011 5:05 p.m.

I was pulled over by a Rexburg bicycle police officer for not stopping for him as he approached the street to cross. When he saw I was an (incredulous) 40+ yr old he settled for a lecture rather than write a ticket. I think this is a small town that has exploded in population in the last few years and the city council will do anything they can to make the "regular" folk feel protected or vindicated or insulated from 20,000 students. They also likely feel like it's a way to get a few bucks out of the Californians, Arizonans, etc. that don't know how to drive (or walk) on icy roads, etc. BYU-I brought them a Wal-Mart and a Sonic, probably displacing some mom & pop shops. I really doubt they are primarily concerned about the students, or they would have cited some local injuries. Change like they've seen is difficult, passing laws like this is a result.

• byu rugby Crystal Lake, IL
    Sept. 21, 2011 4:53 p.m.

Rexburg has intersections and Cell phones? Who knew! Want's next electricity and running water?

• Call2Action Thatcher, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 4:18 p.m.

I don't want the government to protect me from myself. That isn't the role of anything but a tyrannical regime.

• libertarian Cedar City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 2:50 p.m.

Yet again we have another stupid statutory "victimless crime" law designed to collect money for the "authorities" while alegedly protecting us from ourselves. It won't be long now until we DO have a law against walking and chewing gum at the same time, and with a $1000 fine attached. Good Grief!

• Helping to Educate OREM, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 2:45 p.m.

Jesse Sheidlower wrote a wonderful book and I quote from the Introduction:

"It is an honor and a privilege to be asked by the esteemed Oxford University Press to write the introduction to this wondrous book about the most important and powerful word in the English language. This is like a dream come true. A scholarly publisher of worldwide prestige has blessed this most sacred, most descriptive, most moving of all words....It is a word that one should not utter because it is such a terrible word of epic proportions, a word whose mere utterance is a sin....That's how ... important ... is."

The only thing that can be said about this law and the people who enacted it can't be used on this forum so I refer people to this book published by the evil, sinful Oxford Press who will publish the "f" word because Deseret News won't publish this word to convey the feelings of the people whose rights are violated by jerks.

Texting while crossing a street will cost people $50 in Rexburg? Maybe hundreds of thousands of people need to go to Rexburg and deliberately protest this evil law by doing exactly that.

• rotty1gator Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2011 1:44 p.m.

If I had been shown this in the first grade my teacher would have said to the class " OK, what is wrong in this picture?"

• Wally Ballou Cedar City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 1:42 p.m.

I hope they also passed a law requiring students to eat all their vegetables.

• Linda A Orem, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Yup ... the old "common sense" trying to sneak in as Legislation! Stupid is as stupid does! DISCONNECT, people! If you are SO BUSY that you can't take a walk, a drive, or a bike ride without your electronic device ... RE-EVALUATE your priorities and schedule in some DOWN TIME!

• EJM Herriman, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 12:46 p.m.

Another classic case of protecting people from themselves....priceless!