Hatch's changing politics

• Watch Dog Provo, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 5:45 p.m.

I do not care who takes out Hatch.

When he sponsored the DREAM Act, he lost my support. When he voted for the Patriot Act without even reading it, he lost my support. He has since voted for it again!

EVERY time he claims to be conservative, he more solidifies my non-support. The people of UT are not stupid enough (I hope) to listen to his once every sixth year claim of being conservative to influence them again to support this liberal deceiver.

He is the best excuse for term limits I have seen in a long time.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 4:31 p.m.

So Elcapitan, you voted for Jack Carlson back in 1976 and are still nursing a grudge?

• byufootballrocks Herndon, VA
    Sept. 6, 2011 3:13 p.m.

Orrin Hatch has served Utah, the nation, and conservatives well.

Saying: 'You're old, it's time to retire' is a weak argument unless the politician has been ineffective in helping the conservative cause.

By any measurable standard, Senator Hatch continues to help the conservative cause.

His skill and experience are needed in the coming difficult years.

So why would you toss someone out who has the power as a member of the conservative team to help achieve the goals?

And you don't toss someone out unless you have a better alternative.

I believe Senator Hatch is going to be re-elected. Tell me who is going to have better skill, and do a better job?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Sept. 6, 2011 1:19 p.m.

Elcapitan...

LIberals breath different air? Really?

Let me see, conservatives can "psycho analyze" the liberals at will (special powers I guess), while liberals (being none same air breathers) are completely incapable of such complex thought.

Oh the high and mighty conservatives, to be so superior to all else, we bask in your wisdom and self honor..... may we all someday be so wise and knowledgeable.

Really.... what's next - I know you are but what am i?

Politics is for grown ups.... I wish the kids would all go back to the playground until they learn how to disagree nicely.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 10:53 a.m.

LDS liberal @

How dare you psycho analyze the Republicans like that as a liberal. You do not even breath the same air as they do. Stay with what you know. You are in deep water.

• peacemaker Provo, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 10:50 a.m.

Senator Hatch, Is this the new conservative angle?

MEDICARE PREMIUM INCREASE
    >> *For those of you who are on Medicare, read the article
    >> below.**It is about the monthly amount of money you are
    >> going to pay in Medicare premiums in 2011, 2012 and the
    >> huge increase you will pay in 2013. It's a short but
    >> important article: *
    >> *Congress will not allow an increase in the social
    >> security COLA ( cost of living adjustment ); however,
    >> the per person monthly Medicare insurance premium will
    >> be increased from the 2009 premium of $96.40 to $104.20
    >> in 2012, $120.20 for the year 2013 AND increases to a
    >> wonderful $247.00 in 2014. **! *
    >> *Congress also gave themselves a $3,000 a month Cost of
    >> Living Adjustment*!

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 10:45 a.m.

Flashback@

You make some sense unlike some others posting here, however, I was a delegate when Hatch first ran for the sentate I did not vote for him. He is a combination of a Washington insider and a conservative. Washington is home for him. When he finally is forced out he will probably continue to live in Washington and request burial at Arlington. This election is about moving "grandpa" to the rest home. He will resist it to the very end. He is a strange bedfellow for the Tea Party folks (who I admire) who make no room for him. His time is long gone. His work has been good at times but centerline right. Our big government is partly his fault in making too much compromise with his friends Teddy Kennedy and company. He needs to go.

• Richie Saint George, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Ok lets knock Hatch out of the Senate. That means that if the Republicans regain control of the Senate, Olympia Snowe becomes Chairman of the Finance Committee and she is queen of the RINO's. She votes more with the Democrats then the Republicans and she would chair the most powerful committee in the Senate. No thanks, I will take Hatch warts and all.

• Joey D WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 9:44 a.m.

I'm not an advocate of term limits but I am in favor of no more then 2 terms for any of these scoundrels. They work for us, they're public servants lets hold them accountable. Orin Hatch like Bob Bennett has over stayed his welcome.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    Sept. 6, 2011 9:05 a.m.

I used to be a fan of Senator Hatch -- until he started pandering to the crowd with torches and pitchforks.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 6:56 a.m.

Hatch reflects what Utah wants. If Utah doesn't want Hatch, then nothing will satisfy her.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 6:22 a.m.

Hatch is what you want him to be. If you don't like him, you have only yourselves to blame.

• TwoBitsWorth Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 1:20 a.m.

When I seriously consider what is best for Utah and for America - especially when it comes to dealing with the complex issues that now face this nation - I have to admit that I prefer a man of experience over some inexperienced idealist with an agenda.

I will vote for Senator Hatch.

• Charityalways Centerville, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 8:24 p.m.

I've never been a big fan of Hatch, but I resent the idea that my senator has to cater to an extreme right wing of one political party in my state. Hatch should be more moderate to represent us all. The best things he did in my opinion were his work with Senator Kennedy on a variety of issues. Then there was reasonable immigration reform as promoted by W. Bush and Sen. McCain. I also appreciated Sen. Hatch's original sponsorship of the Dream Act before he had to abandon that in fear of the extremists in his own party who plan to do him in through the caucus process so easily dominated by a motivated minority. Minorities do not rule in our system. We all have to learn to work together to find our common ground as Americans. I'd like to see Senator stand up for all of us, not cave in to those he fears in his own party.

• Vanka Provo, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 6:45 p.m.

Nobody wants Hatch re-elected: The Dems don't want him back because he is a senior GOP senator. The Repubs (aka T-Party) don't want him back because he is a senior GOP senator.

• Cincinnatus Kearns, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 4:22 p.m.

Mike Richards: "As usual, the Liberals and the Democrats are telling us Republicans what to do with a Republican Senator."

No Mike, they are expressing their opinions about what they think Republicans should do with Senator Hatch. Like it or not, EVERYONE in the state, Tea Party, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Socialist, Communist, conservative or liberal has the right to voice their opinion about a man who represents them ALL. Everyone has a voice in this, if not a vote, since the Republicans keep closed caucuses. You are just as free to express your opinion about ANY political candidate or policy position out there, as you often do.

But, don't tell others they don't have the right to express their opinions about your candidates or policies and then call it hypocrisy when they do so- that IS hypocrisy of the highest order.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Sept. 5, 2011 7:07 a.m.

You know, I have no issue what so ever with someone being willing to learn and modify their opinions based on good honest debate and learning. What I have an issue with though is selling out your own beliefs in order to appease popular trends.

Unfortunately appeasement is the flavor of the day, with the silly packs and pledges certain not-to-be-named groups like to pass around. I in particular don't like acts like death bed election acts such as which Romney didn't by joining the NRA just before running for president. Evidently being an NRA member wasn't necessary to run for office in MA, but for US president, it was.

I don't know if Hatch's swings are driven by real thoughtful soul searching, or the result of the latest reading of the polls. I would hope that at his stage in life, he would stop bending to who yells the loudest. But that is what the conservatives have right now, a group of angry, blame someone else, yell at the top of your lungs, hate anyone who sees the world differently, pledge mandating voters. A world where seeing the other side is viewed as weakness.

• Bobs Logan, UT
    Sept. 4, 2011 10:08 p.m.

Senator Hatch has done a superb job, for Utah and the United States. His values represent those of Utah to a T (not T as in Party). At a time when a socialist president sits in the White House, we'd be nuts to kick Hatch out. He is one of the few members of Congress with the clout and the vision to really challenge the Obama crowd.

• Perspective01 Highland, UT
    Sept. 4, 2011 7:43 p.m.

The question is, who can have the greatest positive sustaining force over the long haul? Are we willing to throw out the influence we have because of Hatch? For most of us conservatives, I don't think we are willing to take the risk. I have seen Hatch in countless hearings stand up for the values most of us cherish most, and for the most part he remains strong and respectful (but not always) at the same time. Hatch doesn't know me personally, but he or his staff has always responded to my questions and concerns with careful thought and consideration - even if we didn't agree 100%.

The one recommendation I'd like to make to Senator Hatch is that he consider having regular web conferences where we can hear his insights and share our perspectives (e.g., online questions, polling).

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 4, 2011 6:00 p.m.

Based on the way Obama is signing all the legislation the Republicans are force feeding him I can see why the unions and liberals are concerned about their standard-bearer. Obama just scrapped his EPA smog rules. When faced with a threat Obama caves.

• desert dweller SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 4, 2011 4:46 p.m.

do youselves a favor and vote him out !

• ShaunMcC La Verkin, UT
    Sept. 4, 2011 1:07 p.m.

I honor and respect Senator Hatch for the good he has done, but regretfully, I have to agree with the author of this letter. When Bob Bennett complained that "They've taken away my career." it was a perfect indication of what happens if you are in Washington too long. You forget that you are to be a citizen-servant. Serve for one or two terms and then go home and do some good there. Don't be career politicians. Be statesmen.

• BYR Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 4, 2011 12:46 p.m.

My issue with Bro. Hatch, besides his hypocritical statement regarding how long Sen. Moss had served when Hatch first ran for the US Senate, is his inability to judge character. How many times have we seen Hatch trot himself out, along with other Republican leaders, in support of a sitting Congressman who is the cause of some scandal (thinking of Tom Foley), giving his support as the accused denies his actions? If Hatch supports his fellow Congressmen when they are eventually convicted of their crimes, how can I trust Hatch regarding matters where personal integrity is under scrutiny? I no longer trust the man, and to a degree, I am ashamed I ever did and I wonder if he is a politician or a statesman. But I know the answer already.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Sept. 4, 2011 9:01 a.m.

All of you that are castigating the tea party or whoever else you want to denouce because they believe in limited government need to stop and evaluate what country you live in and what are its foundatons. Anyone that actually believes in liberty and personal responsibility and individual charity are somehow evil, according to you! If you don't believe in socialism,tyranny, and compulsion, you are an extremist. If you believe in individual responsibility, states' rights, or local decision making, you must be an anarchist or prehistoric dinosour. If people like you are reminded that this country was based on the very model you seem to hate, you fly into a rant about how horrible people are that believe it. How about you stopping wanting to delegate your religion and individual responsibility to our government and start doing individually what you want us to do collectively? Tell me, where in the constitution or in humanities march toward a better society does it ever state you get better results by having citizen 'A' tell citizen 'B' what he shall do for citizen 'c'? Citizen 'B' is the forgotten man. I intend to stand up for him.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Sept. 3, 2011 4:38 p.m.

Throw the guy out. Lets get somebody with a proven voting record to run for senate. I don't know if someone that honest exists in our state though. They are all neocons or neolibs.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2011 3:02 p.m.

Yes, and Wimmer leans farther right then the tea party. We could secede with Texas, but then there governor would be president.

• Mountain Cat Oceanside, CA
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:36 p.m.

In the old days it was the John Birchers who controlled Utah politics, now it is the tea party.

If we diagram out the political spectrum we see that Birchers and Tea Party members are placed right of the classic conservatives. This is not only what Teddy Roosevelt called the lunatic fringe, but it is also just a tad left of real live breathing Fascists.

Utah is the most conservative state in the Union. It is ultra conservative--
    with a strong states rights tradition----even a confederate soul.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:25 p.m.

Esquire

If term limits is good for the president, then it should be good for congress.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:14 p.m.

Hatch has realized he has boondoggled the voters in Utah for 30+ years and is now trying to get new spots. He has become part of the "good ole boys and girls" network. He needs to be defeated, better never make it out of the convention. No, I am not a tea party member and I am not a women's libber. He has been there tooooooooooo long.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:31 p.m.

Hatch will get the nomination because Utah conservatives are too busy with their circular firing squads and witch-burnings to field a non-bonkers alternative.

With Hatch on the ballot, he'll waltz to a second term because 60% of Utah voters robotically select "R" in the voting booth, regardless of the qualifications of the Democratic opponent.

And we're stuck with Hatch for another 6.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 5:59 p.m.

I'm hoping he changes his business card.

• Tami Herriman, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 3:17 p.m.

Hatch got into office telling us Frank Moss was out of touch because he had been there too long. Hatch has now been there twice as long. Yet, if he perceived such a problem to begin with, why has he done nothing to help change the system? Instead, we are now being told that we shouldn't get rid of Hatch because he has important seniority that we need! Now that's what I call a double standard.
    Yes, I'm a Republican and no, I won't vote for Hatch, even if it means not voting if I can't stomach the Democrat! Hatch should have the decency to step down but apparently that gets lost in Wash DC

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:45 p.m.

LDS Liberal | 1:02 p.m. Sept. 2, 2011
    Farmington, UT
    Mike Richards | 12:40 p.m. Sept. 2, 2011
    South Jordan, Utah
    re: WHAT NOW? | 12:14 p.m. Sept. 2, 2011

Hypocrisy is defined as people telling us to do as they say, not as they do.

=============

Pardon me, but I missed this one earlier....

Kind of like "Saying" they hate all Government Entitlements [Social Security, Medicare],
    Then being the first pigs in line at the feeding trough/hand-outs - because since they paid into the system - they now feel "Entitled" to those very same Entitlements?

I have to ask -- Are you are Hypocrite?
    or
    A man of integrity? [Defined as; Someone who stays true to his word.]

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:01 p.m.

The Constitution requires amendment by proper process not tea party minority threats to derail the economy.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:02 p.m.

Mike Richards | 12:40 p.m. Sept. 2, 2011
    South Jordan, Utah
    re: WHAT NOW? | 12:14 p.m. Sept. 2, 2011

Hypocrisy is defined as people telling us to do as they say, not as they do. How can someone who has never voted for a Republican and who will never vote for a Republican tell those who vote for Republicans how to vote?

=============

I voted for Republicans Mike.
    And Democrats, and Libertarians, and anyone else I think best represents me.

Because I vote for the PERSON, never the party.

BTW - Orrin Hatch is the Senator of the State of Utah, whether we voted for him or not.

Something you still can't understand or accept - Like Pres. Obama is YOUR President whether you voted for him or not.
    That's how Democratic Representive Governments work.

Drop your partisan Party attacks and support the U.S. Constitution.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:00 p.m.

How can someone who has never voted for a member of the Democratic Party and who never will vote for a member of the Democratic Party tell those who vote for members of the Democratic Party how to vote?

Some hypocrites do it everyday...

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:40 p.m.

re: WHAT NOW? | 12:14 p.m. Sept. 2, 2011

Free speech does not disqualify hypocrites from being hypocrites. It just lets the rest of us know who those hypocrites are.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:38 p.m.

"...They ask re-Publicans the same hard questions they ask representatives from the Democratic Party...?".

Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Laura Ingraham, Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, Glenn Beck, Michael Savage as well as other FOX "Hosts" treat members of the Democratic Party with the same respect they give to members of the re-Publican Party?

FOX is not a propaganda machine for the re-Publican Party?

"...So who should you trust...?".

Trust, but verify, seems to be the prudent course of action, no matter which side of the aisle you find yourself.

When you "trust" what Hatch says and then "verify" what he has done, the resulting "cognitive dissonance" is astounding.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:14 p.m.

"...they think they have the right to tell the rest of us...".

1st Amendment Rights only apply to re-Publicans?

What total hypocrisy!

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:07 p.m.

Hatch has been a reliable conservative the whole time that he's been in the Senate. He's got a 91% Conservative rating which is in the top 15. Yes he's been involved with some legislation over the years that the Tea Partiers don't like, but that was due to trying to water it down so the Democrats didn't get their way. SCHIP is a great example of that. The democrats originally wanted what amounted to socialized medicine for all under the age of 21. Hatch turned it into a good piece of legislation that benefits those who actually need it.

Six years ago, he gave a talk in my living room to state delegates. He stated at that time that there were only about 35 reliable conservatives in the Senate. That was when the Senate was in Republican hands. He stated that too many of the other Republicans, John McCain among them, didn't vote with the Republicans at critical times.

Bottom line, this letter writer is so mis-informed that the letter is almost laughable. Hatch has the best constituent help of all the delegation. He helps more people combined than the others. He's done a great job, so far.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:53 a.m.

Why won't Sen. Hatch retire gracefully and let someone else have a chance to serve?

Senate elections SHOULDN'T result in lifetime appointments. Think of how much good his financial warchest could be to OTHER conservative causes.

Why not retire and do something different Senator? You're denying others the right to help lead our country.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:19 a.m.

His total support of Bush and the unfunded Iraq war was brillant!

• ugottabkidn Sandy, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:14 a.m.

It's too bad tea party advocates didn't follow the original premise of the "real" tea party. It was a protest against corporate privilege more than a tax protest. Now it's a protest for corporate privilege more than a tax protest. Orrin is like a wind mill always pointing as the wind blows.

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:49 a.m.

An outsiders Utahan perspective - Perhaps only in Utah Senator Hatch is not appreciated for his leadership and sterling qualities. Not so elsewhere! You are dead wrong in castigating Senator Hatch. He is one of the few true Statsemen in Congress who stives to do what is right! He has served Utah and this Nation well in helping to turn the tide of out of control spending and politics as usuall in Washington. He deserves Utah's repect and appreciation for all the good that he has done as an US Senator. One may well say BRAVO Senator Hatch!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:13 a.m.

@ KM, how does a Senator serve 8 years unless s/he resigns midterm? Is that what we want? And it you are into term limits, then vote them out instead of sending the same people (and party) election after election (at the state and federal election).

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:11 a.m.

To "LDS Liberal | 9:21 a.m. " yes, lets look at the Conservative talk show hosts. They have the audacity of hold Republicans to the same standard that they hold Democrats to.

They ask Republicans the same hard questions that they ask the Democrats.

Now take a look at MSNBC, CNBC, ABC, CNN, or any liberal "journalist". They all have double standards when it comes to reporting on or interviewing conservatives. They have become propaganda machines for the Democrat party.

So, who should you trust more, the guy who is equally hard on Republicans and Democrats, or the propaganda machiene for the DNC?

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:08 a.m.

As usual, the Liberals and the Democrats are telling us Republicans what to do with a Republican Senator. They didn't vote for Mr. Hatch and they won't vote for Mr. Hatch, but they think that they have the right to tell the rest of us that we must vote for Mr. Hatch.

What total hypocrisy!

• ECR Burke, VA
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:07 a.m.

35 years ago, as a young college student, I listened as Orrin Hatch made the case for ousting Frank Moss from office and "criticized Moss's 18-year tenure in the Senate, saying that many Senators, including Moss, had lost touch with their constituents." So the people of Utah kicked native Utahn Frank Moss out of office, even though he stood for the same principles as most Utahns. His crime was carrying a 'D' in front of his name.

Now after 36 years of Pennsylvania native Orrin Hatch's representation in the Senate what are we hearing, "...Utah conservatives (have) finally had enough of being ignored for five of every six years by a Washington-insider senator..."

Huh. I guess history repeats itself! But will his replacement have a 'T' in front of his/her name? Will it take more than three decades to make the same assessment about that choice?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:21 a.m.

lost in DC | 8:55 a.m. Sept. 2, 2011
    West Jordan, UT
    the very first step in propaganda is to paint your enemy as being as evil as possible, to reduce them to a subhuman categorization

the dems and MSM have followed this strategy to a T when talking about the tea party

======================

The Tea Partiers - along with their AM Hate radio Propogandists - Limbaugh, Beck, and Hannity - have done that to themselves.

Seriously - Try looking at what they do to President Obama, Democrats, and any other American who disagrees with them...even their Republican own.

The political assasination of former Senator Bob Bennett comes quickly to mind.
    Democrats and and the "liberal media" had NOTHING to do with that.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:57 a.m.

I'm smiling and shaking my head and hoping that Hatch is forced to retire from a job that should have lasted 6-8 years tops. Term limits, baby!

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:55 a.m.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:49 a.m.

The tea party and the swarm at the that stomped there feet to get rid of Bennett are on a temporary power trip. Yes they scare Hatch, but not the majority of reasonable commonsense people.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Who cares about conservatives? The radical right who control the party do not represent the mainstream of Utah. My thing with Orrin is that his number one concern is Orrin. He loves the power and attention, but there is a time to retire (which I've heard is the preference of his wife). The biggest problem is the extremists will select someone worse. It really is a terrible conundrum for Utah, isn't it?

• liberal larry salt lake City, utah
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:26 a.m.

If the Tea Partiers wanted to take out Hatch they should have given Bennett a pass and gone after Hatch first. By getting rid of Bennett, it gave Hatch plenty of time to change his tone, and to start working behind the scenes to out flank the inexperienced Tea Party crowd. Hatch may disingenuous in his statements, but he is sly as a fox when it comes to retaining power.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:31 a.m.

The notion that Hatch is insufficiently conservative is beyond ridiculous.

What genuinely is an embarrassment to our state is the way we allow a tiny number of zealots to control the process of selecting candidates. That debacle has left us with Lee in the senate, and for that I am truly ashamed to be called a Utahn.

• Dektol Powell, OH
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:12 a.m.

Utah is known as the Fraud Capitol of the US. I believe Hatch reflects "Utah Values" very well.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 4:48 a.m.

Orrin is pandering desperately to the Tea Party members as they represent his only threat. He continues to ignore Utahns that he has done for years with the Tea Party being the exception.

Too bad for the rest of the state that would like to see a change in Washington. Hatch has proved he is not willing to go to the mat to do what is best for the country but he does do what is best for him.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 3:21 a.m.

Wrong --

Two years ago, a critical mass of Tea Party Extremeists high-jacked the GOP nomination.

Bob Bennett would have beat Mike Lee by a landslide in a Primary Election run-off.
    That's the facts.

But I agree, Sen. Hatch is a Two-face, having to deal with more dirty Party Politics here at home than back in Washington D.C.

• Perplexed Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:30 a.m.

When Hatch claimed to be an "original TEA Party guy" on FOX News a few days ago, I knew we as a nation were on the verge of total insanity. Thanks for Ginsburg Orin, every time you have a "chat" with the liberals in Washington we lose something else never to be gained without a lot of suffering. I sure hope the good people of UTAH can see through your compromising and replace you with someone who will represent the conservative values of the citizens of Utah instead of the citizens of San Fransisco, Boston and the likes.