Ramadan fasting, BYU and football at Weber State

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 13, 2011 7:45 p.m.

@mgr63,

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience growing up as an inactive member in Utah. It makes me sad to know that there are still people like that who give the Church a bad name.

I often wondered why you hated everything BYU in your numerous posts in articles past but I think I understand why now. I was once an inactive member myself, excommunicated and all that, but never once was treated unkindly or looked down to or been made to feel like I was an outcast. For years they kept loving me and treated me like I was someone special. It was that kind of Christlike love and genuine kindness that turned me back to the fold.

This story is a great reminder to me to be more Christlike and treat others with kindness, love, tolerance, understanding, and compassion. Proud of the way this young man was treated. Great story. Thanks for sharing.

• sushirocks8 SLC, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 2:48 p.m.

John Pack Lambert isn't the whole point of this article to show tolerance towards the beliefs and practices at others? And then you go and take a side-swipe at non-LDS Christians? There is such a thing as a partial fast, where one decides to give up one or two items they believe they should refrain from. Let's not start trashing other religions because of how they choose to worship or fast, that goes against the spirit of this entire article.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 13, 2011 1:52 p.m.

I'm very happy to read this fine article about religious tolerance by some LDS folks in Utah. It surely wasn't my experience having grown up in SLC as a non-active LDS member. It was so bad, in fact, I left Utah 15 years ago and returned only for work purposes. Nonetheless, I am grateful that this student athlete, a nice young man without question, is being acknowledged for his beliefs/practices.

• elevenx SANTA CLARA, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Glad to hear of his positive experience in Utah. My 11 years in the middle east and especially in Saudi Arabia was not so positive. Not much compassion for other faiths there.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 6:42 a.m.

I love to read articles like this. Informative and thought provoking. Self-reflection is something that we all need to do to make us more tolerable of others and to open up our own minds.

Thanks for the article!

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 12, 2011 7:43 p.m.

Nice article...and very enlightening

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Aug. 12, 2011 5:21 p.m.

I am not surprised that doing Ramadan in a Mormon community is easier than in some other places. Mormons know about fasting, even if they do it in a different way, which is more than we can say for most other Christians. There are some Christians who think they are fasting if they do not eat meat.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 4:58 p.m.

I sure wish BYU was an inclusive university...someday.

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    Aug. 12, 2011 2:29 p.m.

Isn't it sad that we are all so excited that someone's personal beliefs are accepted and honored in this world today? This is the way it should be.

Maybe one day, the PAC-12 will say, "Oh, we'll be happy to rearrange our Sunday schedules if BYU would be willing to join the conference." Yeah, right.

I was born a Muslim in the Middle East before joining The Church in Japan in 1979 (yeah, that's a long story) and I can attest that while a Muslim, I never once heard a disparaging word about my faith.

And then I joined the LDS Church, and man-oh-man, the attacks have yet to stop.

[Insert head-scratching here]

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Aug. 12, 2011 12:45 p.m.

What an outstanding, informative article! Ahmad: "I have never experienced hospitality anywhere like I have experienced her in Utah...Here, I can practice my faith openly, and no one ever harassed me." And Almadhoun: "While many think that a Muslin living in Utah must face some major challenges, I have seen none" And then to read of the BYU Alumni Association starting the new tradition to recognize/honor Ramadan. This warms my soul (seriously). There's so much here to bless each of us.

Now, I'll sit back and see who amongst the "creative" readers who undertake their own "fishing expedition" and provide the opposing view in their comments!

• Carson Provo, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 12:02 p.m.

Most everyone knows that Coach (Ron) McBride is a class act!

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    Aug. 12, 2011 11:16 a.m.

This is fantastic. I am pleased with how we have treated these individuals. I hope we continue to show support for the religious practices of others. Who knows better than the Latter-day Saints what it is like to be ridiculed and taunted for strongly held beliefs.