Nationwide, media explore what makes Mormons tick

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 11:17 a.m.

Some have questioned, "Why are Mormons any different? What's the big deal?"

---

Did any of you read the article? The article was not exclusively an LDS story. It was about a guy who learned about many religions. The Headline mentioned the LDS Church and the article covered the LDS Church more because this paper wouldn't make any money if it published 90% catholic related articles and hardly ever mentioned the LDS Church. This is why the article applied both to a general study and mentioned it in a way that can apply to all religions... and then also focused on the LDS references. That is balanced writing.

Why mention Mormons? Cause the paper appeals to that demographic; most importantly because this actually did involve a study regarding Mormons.

Why such a big deal? Well, say a social organization feels that they cannot simply talk and have a meaningful, productive, and peaceful conversation about their beliefs and intentions- I value a discussion about whether people should be able to openly talk about their beliefs or not. I believe people should be able to openly and peacefully discuss things. In the spirit of cooperation this article certainly is newsworthy.

• Allen Salt Lake valley, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 9:10 a.m.

@I M LDS 2, @Utah Girl

The big deal is that we're different. We dress up to go to church. We have fewer activities on Sunday than many other Christians. We attend church on Sunday for three hours, and probably spend more time during the week. We spend one evening each week devoted to the family. Our young men and many young women spend 1 1/2 to two years in full-time missionary work. Of course, not all LDS do the things I've mentioned, and many non-LDS do many of the things I've mentioned but not necessarily to the extent that we do them.

And, I think most importantly is that newspaper editors are finding out that we're different than they had thought. This is important during this election cycle, because two Mormons are running for president. The purpose of newspapers is to inform people, and some editors have decided they want to inform people about the Mormons. They could have gone to typical non-Mormon sources, but they choose to go to Mormon sources.

Is this a big deal? Each person has to answer that for himself and herself. But, it is a different deal.

• Allen Salt Lake valley, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 7:45 a.m.

@I M LDS 2, @Utah Girl

• goitalone w bountiful, ut
    Aug. 3, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Even if the LDS were a cult or non christian, why is the issue any different with any other religion? I find it interesting that any non religious, non practicing faith based, athiestic, agnostic anyone is okay, but a practicing person of faith is suspect or scrutinized in an abnormal way.

Secularists cry foul when they perceive a conflict of church and state, but see no problem with poking their noses into a person's private religion. Enough already. Forget the "missionary" exposure angle.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 6:31 a.m.

Take conversion seriously folks, it will not work for you otherwise. When it comes to temple worship, you must seriously understand what this is all about.
    this is where " the rubber meets the road", where the test of true conversion really stands. Not something to fool around with where covenants with God are concerned. Daniel the Prophet exclaimed, "the wise shall understand but the wicked shall continue to do wickedly". Long term dedication and obedience rule.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 1:02 a.m.

This relates very well- "ye shall know them by their fruits"

Does an organization (independent of their claimed beliefs) produce fruit which is good, that builds up. - or fruit which is bad, that only works to destroy others beliefs? Bad fruit isn't even fruit... it's empty, without substance, without benefit.

This is why, whenever Trinitarian-Christians claim that the LDS Church is not Christian, such fruit is bad and offers nothing.

This is also inherently incongruous with their own claimed beliefs.

3 John 1:11
    Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

2 Nephi 10:16
    Wherefore, he that fighteth against Zion, both Jew and Gentile, both bond and free, both male and female, shall perish; for they are they who are the whore of all the earth; for they who are not for me are against me, saith our God

The great and abominable church of the devil, as I believe, is anyone who seeks to destroy hope and belief- of any system.

Building up beliefs preserves freedom. Destroying belief doesn't.

Simple logic. True tolerance and peace.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 12:39 a.m.

From the article, regarding how different people react:

"...they just want people to give them a chance to listen instead of criticize or judge."

This is because of the growing threat to religious freedom.

Any philosophical accomplishment could only be to build up whatever kingdom, philosophy, morality, religion, and so on... that you believe in. Criticizing another for their beliefs only destroys.

Many say 'but everything needs to withstand scrutiny' - for your own personal decision to believe or support something? Yes. For public inquiry- Maybe he's right, maybe not... again, yes. but 'nope, they are wrong and it is absolutely certain and definitive' - No one has such a perfect logical claim.

If one truly believed that claims must withstand scrutiny, then their own publishing of that very claim is not definitive either... and must withstand scrutiny itself.

It's like saying "all claims are not indisputable" - guess what... neither is THAT claim itself. The only logical deduction to make from such circular logic is that disputation of another persons claim offers no reward or product or conclusion.

Even my saying they're wrong offers nothing. Therefore, move on and produce what YOU believe rather than fight what THEY believe.

• Utah Girl Vernal, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 12:24 a.m.

To "I M LDS 2", I agree with your question...what's the big deal? And yet, there are so many people who seem to want to make it a big deal. They label us as a cult, non-Christian, and many other similar things. How many members of the LDS church do you know who go about saying that non-LDS political candidates, for example, are "not Christian"? I have not heard one. I might not agree with a candidate's political views, but I don't care what church he or she attends. That is their personal business. I'm not sure why so many people make such a big deal about the religion of the LDS candidates, whether they are running for national, or more local offices. My personal concerns are these: Are they honest, ethical, moral and decent people? Do they have basically the same political views that I have? Could I in good conscience vote for that person? That's what I'm interested in.

• Millsap fan Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 7:22 p.m.

This is a really cool thing to do! I'm all about embracing every good thing from the religions of the world.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 5:22 p.m.

What is the big deal? We are no different than anyone else. We pray. Most religious people pray. We read scriptures. Most religious people do that. We attend worship services. Most members of any Church attend meetings. We try to be honest, hard-working, and make the world a better place. Most people do that.

So I ask again, what is the big deal?

• L Central, Utah
    Aug. 2, 2011 5:00 p.m.

"Nationwide, media explore what makes Mormons tick"

Good luck, I spend quite a bit of time with my wife and I havn't figured that out yet. I know my brother aparently "ticks" a different way because there is a wide difference to what they enjoy and how they react to the same thing.