Poll: God's approval rating 52%

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    July 30, 2011 9:00 a.m.

How do you approve, or disapprove of something that is, or is not there. Are you not just approving or disapporoving of your own guesses.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    July 29, 2011 3:25 p.m.

First I give 100% approval rating -- made up of awe and wonder at that which I perceive and understand, and the benefit of the doubt for the rest. Second, He doesn't care -- that is He won't be swayed by numbers or approval. He loves us and knowing us He provides all we REALLY need whether we know or not, agree or not. And third, as cute as this is, it is inappropriate -- silly at best.

• Commonman HENDERSON, NV
    July 29, 2011 10:16 a.m.

I am much more concerned with God's approval rating of men than men's approval rating of God.

• Ross Madison, AL
    July 29, 2011 8:15 a.m.

Poll is flawed because it is based on false premise, that God will prevent all challenges to us here in mortality. God can prevent all sadness and misery but he won't because we are here on earth to be tested, to see if we will keep his commandments of our own free will. The fatally conceited left always look for the easy answer, like God preventing tragedy and disaster. Sorry folks, that's not the purpose of this life.

• Whos Life RU Living? Ogden, UT
    July 29, 2011 7:58 a.m.

Dear God,

The "plan of salvation" is quite a test, but because of this so called "faith" principle I am giving you an F.

If you do exist, I apologize for the low grading. I have tried contacting you, but you do not respond.

Good luck to you in the future!

• coltakashi Richland, WA
    July 28, 2011 11:23 p.m.

Stupid polls like this contain all sorts of silly assumptions. God does not promise (at least not in the Bible) that he is going to protect us from bad weather, drought, plague, storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, hail, earthquakes, fires or tsunamis. The rain falls on the just and the unjust. We fare better if we have built our foundation on the rock of Christ rather than the shifting sand of men's philosophies. God is NOT our janitor.

The world we live in is a FALLEN world, one of chaos and rebellion against God. It will not be redeemed or changed until Christ's Second Coming to the earth in glory. Until then, we should remember that God is grading US, not the other way around.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Whoops, misread the headline and thought this was God's poll of his opinion about our performance.

• Aaron S GREEN RIVER, WY
    July 28, 2011 9:05 p.m.

What saddens me most is seeing people (with, supposedly, a functioning brain) who think politics is A) (If of the other party) responsible for the problems of society, or B) (if of one's own party) God's Will Incarnate.

Somehow, I suspect the Good Lord shakes his head any time one of his children invokes politics over ANY human problem, as though one party or the other would make a difference in the end. No party is Blessed of God; no party is Condemned by God. The General Authorities have said that BOTH parties espouse (in some manner) the principles OF God. If you are taken by politics, see your doctor--help IS available.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    July 28, 2011 8:43 p.m.

@Metamoracoug

I can certainly appreciate your points of those who abuse welfare and have feelings of entitlement. I do think there has to be more reform in welfare to ensure the program is not abused. Some people use this point as justification to scrap the whole program, but I think government has a role to set up a safety net to help its citizens that through no fault of their own who fall into poverty, unemployment, poor health. I would argue that those who benefit from welfare according to its original intent are far more the case than the abusers of these programs.

I also think that there are some people who are born into dire circumstances who face impossible odds and need help. I think a works program like Roosevelt implemented would help people at risk and also help society as they work a project to improve the community--not too different than church welfare.

I think that the Savior would be more concerned with the corruption of the government (lobbyists and bankers controlling government--both parties are involved) and how those with many resources are running the government to benefit them while the masses are suffering.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    July 28, 2011 8:24 p.m.

RE: Wildcat

Social Justice is an evil doctrine, all about forcibly taking from one and giving to another.

NOthing at all like the gospel.

"rnder unot Ceasar..." was a question about paying tazes to rome,

again NOTHING to do with "social justice"

All those program sare about private donation, private charity, which requires the reciever to do someting, and is only given to those deemed in need of it, by a bishop,

nothing is forcibly taken from another in the name of forcing social equality.

Social Justice is anathema to the true Gospel of Christ,

we are not equal in talents, skills, education, work ethic, etc, and you can not forcibly guaranteee equality of outcome.

I believe this poll is base on the ignorance people, and the failure to understand free agancy.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    July 28, 2011 8:15 p.m.

Wildcat: some excellent, well-thought out points. Thank you for presenting your thoughts in true civil discourse. I entirely agree with the first paragraph of your 5:38 post.

I also agree that Christ would support government assisting those in need -- though again I think he would prefer the assistance to come from the voluntary donations of others -- rich or poor, according to their ability. I disagree that King Benjamin is an example of this action. His was an individual choice by a leader who had an eternal perspective. Likewise, I disagree with your associating the Tea Party specifically with the Kingmen, because I think the course of action of the President and his associates is just as destructive of our nation and our freedoms.

Ultimately, there are two problems I have with our present government that I don't think the Savior would approve of: 1)it encourages us to become a welfare state and not be self-reliant; 2)it is spending 40 cents on every dollar of revenue to pay the loans that we have -- not an efficient or effect means of helping the poor and needy among us.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    July 28, 2011 7:21 p.m.

@KM

The scriptures, for example, discredit an ancient philosophy that has come back into vogue in our daythe philosophy of Korihor that there are no absolute moral standards, that every man prosper[s] according to his genius, and that every man conquer[s] according to his strength; and whatsoever a man [does is] no crime and that when a man [is] dead, that [is] the end thereof

They have imagined a Jesus who wants people to work for social justice but who makes no demands upon their personal life and behavior. (Todd Christofferson April 2010 conference)

I believe the above reference points out that the LDS church does believe that Christ's Ministry was about social justice. Jesus also said, "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's." This along with the 12th article of faith encourages supporting government and how it chooses to support its citizens through its elected representatives.

I would also submit to you that the church has a strong stance toward social justice: perpetual education fund, storehouses, welfare program, its compassionate stance toward illegal immigration, etc. President Monson's helping those hands that hang down. It is my belief social justice is a cornerstone of the church.

• BirdmanKen Fishers, IN
    July 28, 2011 6:36 p.m.

This just in: "God's approval of us in single digits"

• The Rocker Bountiful, UT
    July 28, 2011 5:59 p.m.

I know prayers are answered. Sometimes it takes time. Mine have been. My life has been very blessed. People want instant gratification. In a fast paced world everybody wants it now. If they dont get it they become angry and bitter.
    I have gotten upset a few times with God myself. Not because he is not perfect but because I am not perfect. I know he is perfect and merciful. I fell almost 100 feet of a mountain and survived. I did not have a scratch. I have overcome trials I never thought possible and have seen mountains move.
    Do not be angry and do not be bitter. Be patient. Get on your knees and pray.
    Ask for a change of heart. Ask for charity. You will have it. And you will find your greatest happiness.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    July 28, 2011 5:38 p.m.

@metamoracoug:

Let me very respectively disagree with you. Christ was basically warning the rich man of greed. He was pointing out the being rich on earth means nothing to an eternal perspective. A rich man entering heaven is harder than a camel entering the eye of the needle points out that many who gain great wealth lose their eternal focus and only look to gain more wealth instead of use their power to help those less fortunate.

I believe Christ would support government helping those less fortunate, King Benjamin serving his people is a great example of this. The Kingmen vs. Freemen is a great example of a government that served it's people being attacked by those who wanted a King to rule (who would favor those special few and oppress the masses). There is a big parallel to Kingmen and the Tea Party of today. The Kingmen basically fought for the destruction of the government and didn't care it would hurt everyone involved as long as they got their way, eerily similar to the Tea Party with the debt ceiling, I think. As for re-distribution of wealth, you are right, no more money to the rich.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    July 28, 2011 5:20 p.m.

@KM

Social justice was advocated in the scriptures and those direct words have been used by apostles in conference talks. The scriptures tell of Jesus saying "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's." I think that is advocating supporting a government. 12th article of faith tells of supporting government as well. When Jesus asked the rich man to give all his riches away and come follow him...he didn't mean put it in a offshore holding account to avoid taxes so it would be there for him later. Jesus pointing out the poor woman giving more than the pharisees. He believed in directly helping those less fortunate.

When you are in the service of your fellow being, you are only in the service of your God. The Book of Mormon tells of King Benjamin out serving his people (compared with the masses being robbed to give more to the few now). President Monson tells of helping those whose hands hang low. The church having perpetual education funds, storehouses, fast offerings, etc.

The church's compassionate stance on illegal immigrants. The thoughts of there but the grace of God go I. I think the cornerstone of the church is social justice.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    July 28, 2011 5:19 p.m.

@KM, Metamoracoug

Double standards and hypocrisy seem to be a conservative trait: Attempt to deny equal rights to others based in the notion that the U.S. is a Christian nation. However, when affects their pocket we become secular :)

If we are Christians and this is a Representative Democracy, perhaps we should follow Christ and make our nation as Christ would want.

Matthew 25:34-40
    Acts 4 : 34-35
    Perophet Isaiah

Joseph Smith and the United Order

Of course, you are free to rationalize as much as you want. After all we have and always should protect our Free Agency for you and others.

Who can protect our Free Agency? The Church? I don't think so.

The government is the institution in charged of protecting our freedom. How?

Education, defense, health and nutrition, affordable housing. These are basic needs that all human beings must have to be "really" free.

If you want more than that, you are welcome to work for it. But we should give something back to society for everybody to have their basic needs met.

Is this socialism? Perhaps.... But I rather call it common sense. Less crime and a brighter future for our society.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    July 28, 2011 4:59 p.m.

I wont even begin to respomd to an article such as this. come on DN you have nothing more serious to print? with all that is going on in the world and all that needs to be reported on all you could come up with was this article ?

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    July 28, 2011 4:49 p.m.

atl134

Private insurance is far different from Government run healthcare. Government forces you to pay into it, if not, just like taxes, the IRS comes and takes away something--maybe even you.

Private insurance is your own pick. You are not forced into paying for it. You choose to pay for it.

As for your comments about Christ, you cannot point out to me where it says that Christ forced people to give anything to the poor. That was Satan's
    plan--By force. Christ is all about agency and free will. If I want to give, that's up to me, if I want to be greedy that's up to me as well. Christ will decide in the end if I did well with my money or not, and he will determine if I am fit to enter into his Kingdom. He will never force me like government does.

On a side note, We are about the same age I'm guessing if you are still on your parents insurance. It's good to see someone else be involved when so much of our generation is just too occupied with cell phones and X-boxes.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    July 28, 2011 4:40 p.m.

atl134: Christ's command to the rich man was an individual response to one person's query. Furthermore, you forgot the most important part which was Christ's invitation to "follow me." All of us should willingly give what we are able to help the poor and needy. The government, however, should play a nominal roll in accomplishing that task.

The righteous in 4th Nephi were not "taxed" by their government, but willing donated (read: individually decided) to the church. You will also note in the Book of Mormon that those kings who heavily taxed their people were always "wicked." And it was those kings -- like Benjamin and the Mosiahs -- who worked with their own hands so the burden on the people (whether rich or poor) would be light who were designated "righteous."

• very concerned Sandy, UT
    July 28, 2011 4:15 p.m.

I think it very unwise to worry about our approval of God. What is so much more important is what HE thinks of US. It's presumptuous to think about judging Him when it is US who has to live up to the standard HE has set if we want His eternal reward.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 4:11 p.m.

@KM

"I don't remmember ever reading about Him teaching about how we should give our money to the govnerment to be redistribtuted by dirty politicians to those who would, in turn, vote for them. "

He told the rich man to give up all he had. Since you conservatives seem to be keen on instituting Christ's values by banning same sex marriage, it would seem then that other values endorsed by Christ should be enshrined into government. Besides, 4th Nephi clearly describes a nation that frankly is farther to the left than I want.

@Hawkyo
    "No country in Europe has 300 million people either."

Why does that matter? Heck if anything it's a benefit since having more people in an insurance system allows such a system to spread risk around better.

We spend 15% of GDP on healthcare. Western Europe spends about 8-12%. We have a budget crisis and a crappy healthcare system. It's win-win to shift to a European style system. Also morally ethical.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 4:07 p.m.

@metamoracoug

"I would put a huge sum of money on the fact that your Obamacare insurance paid 90% of what they "allow" and that amount is certainly less than 33% of the actual charged fees for your surgery. "

They allowed about 2/3 of what the charged fees were. That reduction and what they paid on what was left was 90% of what the hospital charged for the surgery.

@KM

"Once the system is overwhelmed (cloward and piven), You and I will be recieving little to nothing in assistance from a benevolent government. "

European systems do not suggest this is the inevitable result.

@TOO
    "Have you ever been to Europe or South America with Government Run healthcare? how can you possibly accept it? The hospitals are run down in S. America. "

My father had surgery in Germany. He considers it the best healthcare he's ever gotten by far.

South America? Let's stick to comparing fully industrialized nations shall we?

"Why should I pay for your surgery when I have to pay my own bills?"

You seem to not understand how insurance works. If I used private insurance then that means everyone with that insurance is paying for it.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    July 28, 2011 3:24 p.m.

The only reason Obama doesn't walk on water is that he doesn't line to get his shoes wet.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 3:10 p.m.

'Pagan, well we won't have to worry about profit anymore after Obama allows our AAA rating to be downgraded will we.' - patriot | 2:40 p.m. July 28, 2011

Because Obama, is the one bailing on budget talks...?

*'Republicans bail on budget talks, blame Democrats' - By David Espo - AP - Published by DSNews - 06/23/11

Or vote 'no' on 139 peices of legislation:

'When Democrats reclaimed the Senate majority in the 2006 midterm elections, cloture filings shot up from 68 in 2005-2006 (From Dems) to a record 139 in 2007-2008.' (From Republicans)
    *'The Rise Of Cloture: How GOP Filibuster Threats Have Changed The Senate' - Ben Frumin and Jason Reif - Talking Points Memo - 01/27/10

Obama put Medicare and Social Security on the table.

Republicans just keep voting 'no' on everything.

Why are you blaming Obama for the Republican voting record?

Like others blame him for:

TARP
    Wall Street Bailouts
    The Patriot Act
    TSA
    & No child left behind

All, signed into law by Republican president, Geroge W. Bush.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 28, 2011 2:40 p.m.

re:Pagan

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    July 28, 2011 2:39 p.m.

atl134
    No country in Europe has 300 million people either. Not to mention the untold number of illegals that are a drain on the healthcare system. Masses of humanity are not flocking to European countries on the same level as they are to the US either. And for the record, there are dozens of stories about Europeans with real money coming to the US for healthcare that works, not gov run bureaucracy "healthcare" Hospitals are already bad enough. I don't want them running like the post office!

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    July 28, 2011 2:38 p.m.

baccus0902

"Jesus taught social justice." WHAT! You have got to be kidding? I don't remmember ever reading about Him teaching about how we should give our money to the govnerment to be redistribtuted by dirty politicians to those who would, in turn, vote for them.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    July 28, 2011 2:13 p.m.

Dear Patriot;

As a proud and hopefully always developing liberal. I have to tell you that President Obama is only a human being with a lot of limitations, faults and I'm sure many good qualities as well. But, he is only the President of the Unites State, nothing else.

On the other hand, As a liberal, well, I adore, revere, and try to follow the example of Jesus. Who was persecuted for claiming to be the Son of God, for opposing the clerical establishment, for respecting the right of women, for socializing with 'sinners'. Jesus, who preached social justice. Jesus, who taught us that we cannot serve Mammon and God and the same time. Jesus, who taught us that all people are our brothers and sisters. The one who taught us not to judge others. The one who put as a standard to take care of others and treat others as we would treat Him.

As a Christian and therefore, as a Liberal. I have to tell you: Jesus is the one to follow.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    July 28, 2011 2:05 p.m.

atl134

Have you ever been to Europe or South America with Government Run healthcare? If you have, how can you possibly accept it? The hospitals are run down in S. America. The Doctors don't care because they get paid the same whether they work or not, and the people suffer for it. People go to the doctor for the littlest thing, which causes huge lines and long waiting periods because it's paid for and they don't have to worry about it.

My sister is the head nurse in ICU in on of the Hospitals here in Utah. They started laying off nurses because the Government owes them more than 10 million dollars from medicare. That's your Government at work. They lay off more people and hurt more people in the name of their Utopian society where I have to pay for not only my family, but your family as well.

Why should I pay for your surgery when I have to pay my own bills? By the way, you are welcome.

• Grundle West Jordan, UT
    July 28, 2011 1:33 p.m.

From "God's approval rating 52%" to liberals and conservatives and then on to healthcare?

A little one-tracked are we?

They did a little poll 2000 years ago and God came up wanting as well.

I guess little has changed.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    July 28, 2011 1:28 p.m.

art134

Once the system is overwhelmed (cloward and piven), You and I will be recieving little to nothing in assistance from a benevolent government. The debate that we are having, as we speak, is a debate about how the government cannot afford the spending it already has. Add more on top of it and, presto, we become insolvent. The plan is almost complete. Wait just a little longer for the "fundamental change" you voted for.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 1:24 p.m.

'Then you will have to act like you couldn't have forescene the how badly the govnerment drops healthcare for women and children and, in fact, everybody.' - KM | 12:30 p.m. July 28, 2011

Not sure how that relates to 'Gods poll numbers', but ok.

The claim that 'goverment healthcare drops members' is false on it's face. 1) It covers more than x4 more than any private provider. As such, the 'numbers' they drop are more due to volume.

2) Republicans have campaigned against Medicare for years. Example:

Cause:
    *'Gov. Jan Brewer: No funds for transplants' - by Mary Jo Pitzl - Az Central - 12/11/10

Effect:
    *'Two Dead Since Arizona Medicaid Program Slashed Transplant Coverage' - By JANE E. ALLEN - ABC News - 01/06/11
    'Two Arizona Medicaid recipients denied potentially life-saving organ transplants have died...(sic)
    ...that the state's GOP governor, Jan Brewer, and GOP-led legislature said they could no longer afford.'

Brewer CUT the funding for Medicare...
    and then claimed Medicare DROPPED paitents.

It is a self-fufilling prophecy by the Republican party.

When the Republican party cut funding to Medicare, they CREATED the situation to happen.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    July 28, 2011 1:16 p.m.

atl134: "my Obamacare gov't insurance paid 90% of my surgery cost."

This statement is incorrect and must be qualified. I would put a huge sum of money on the fact that your Obamacare insurance paid 90% of what they "allow" and that amount is certainly less than 33% of the actual charged fees for your surgery. You or your private insurance then pays the remaining 10% of the "allowable amount and the hospital, physicians, and others write off the other 67% because they have a contractual obligation to do so.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 12:40 p.m.

"Then you will have to act like you couldn't have forescene the how badly the govnerment drops healthcare for women and children and, in fact, everybody. "

I have two health insurances. One from my employer, one from being young enough to be on my dads gov't plan thanks to Obamacare. The employer based one has still not paid a cent on my surgery I had 6 months ago. The Obamacare one... was secondary insurance, inexplicably told by my employer based one to become primary insurance (despite being a dependent on the Obamacare one while being primary insured on the employer one), and then my Obamacare gov't insurance paid 90% of my surgery cost.

I think I'd be just fine with universal gov't healthcare. After all, if gov't healthcare is so bad, why aren't Europeans trying to get our system? Why do they think what we have is barbaric? They certainly aren't going bankrupt over healthcare costs, they spend less GDP on healthcare than we do. Besides, our seniors really like medicare to the point they yell out at town halls "keep your gov't hands off my medicare".

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    July 28, 2011 12:30 p.m.

Ha ha, keep mocking God and see where that gets you.

Pagan - wait until government health care is fully operative. Then you will have to act like you couldn't have forescene the how badly the govnerment drops healthcare for women and children and, in fact, everybody.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 12:06 p.m.

I'm outraged!

Where's the poll on Zeus's approval ration?

How good a job is Odin doing?

What does the public think about how well Shiva is minding the store?

When was the last time Ra had to be held accountable for the state of the world?

Come on! Where's the balance here?

• isrred Logan, UT
    July 28, 2011 11:05 a.m.

"I thought Obama is GOD ..to liberals."

If you actually read the poll results you would see that the biggest reason for Obama's continued decline in favorability ratings is because he is losing LIBERALS because Obama is not liberal enough.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 11:03 a.m.

'I thought Obama is GOD ..to liberals.' - patriot | 10:55 a.m. July 28, 2011

I thought profit was God to conservatives?

*'Wellpoint Drops Coverage For Some Women With Breast Cancer' - By Mary Ellen Egan - Forbes Magazine - 04/23/10

'Yesterday, an investigation by Reuters revealed that Wellpoint routinely drops coverage of women with breast cancer. According to the report, Wellpoint used a computer algorithm that automatically targeted...'

*'GOP Freshmen Admit To Playing Politics' - NPR - 05/19/11

'The plea for civility comes after Obama and other Democrats have pounded House Republicans for supporting a GOP 2012 budget proposal that would privatize the Medicare program for future seniors, forcing anyone under 55 to buy health coverage from private insurers when they become eligible for the benefit.'

And moderator, please.

If you can allow insult liberals, why would you NOT allow insults to conservatives?

Allow both, or remove both.

But do not claim allowing ONE side is 'fair.'

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 28, 2011 10:55 a.m.

I thought Obama is GOD ..to liberals.

• Candide Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2011 10:44 a.m.

This has got to be an 'Onion' story. Don't tell me this was a real poll?