Elizabeth Smart to join ABC for missing-persons insight

• athought Salt Lake City, UT
    July 11, 2011 12:17 p.m.

I just have to jump in on this. I am sorry for what she went through, and I'm glad she survived. With that being said, this doesn't make her an expert on kidnapped or misssing victims. There are over 1,000,000 kids who go missing every year in the US, and the thought of Elizabeth knowing what all of them are going through is absurd -- no one knows. All she can fall back on is her experience, which is her own experience. As I stated, I'm glad she made it and is here to tell HER story, but in my own experience it's kind of a slap in the face. I have worked for more than half her life with missing kids, I have been interviewed on TV, I have worked with NCMEC, but I haven't had ABC approach me to be their "expert" on the subject. People, there are more stories out there than Elizabeth's. Why hasn't ABC offered Jacey a job -- I mean 18 years and two kids later, I think she has more of a story than Elizabeth. Again, I see Ed behind all of this -- he is the driving force. No Elizabeth=no Ed.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    July 11, 2011 11:26 a.m.

I have a feeling that this is just the begining of the Liz Smart saga; there will be the book and then the movie and then the wealth and fame; perhaps even a major political role. That will make her dad real happy. I hope all works out well for her, and that her works and contributions will serve many well. Circumstances and nature have made her a very special person.

• AllBlack Sydney, NSW
    July 8, 2011 4:53 p.m.

To the critics and supporters here:

You got it all wrong. The real story is that a 23 year old actually found a job in 2011 America!!!

• AllBlack Sydney, NSW
    July 8, 2011 4:47 p.m.

To the critics and supporters here:

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    July 8, 2011 4:20 p.m.

If Liz Smart is Not an Expert in the area that ABC Hired her for then Who Is?

ABC Sought her and most likely her Dad who is an Expert At Keeping your Case in the public eye.

Plus how to handle a Daughter who was Kidnapped and Monster Raped for 9 Months back in you home, moving on and fairly stable.

What makes some of you mad is that Liz Smart is a success despite, and in part perhaps bacause she is a victim.

Just like Soul Surfer only different story.

Liz Smart if she wants to will get Married in The Temple and have a Family, there is no reason that should not have a way happy ending.

She may be one of the few people who do not make their spouse in someway pay for their Victim Hood.

Now the Idea of a Victim is to become like Liz Smart and not Become or Remain a Train Wreck. Lost in some Non profit Counselors office getting help 9-5 providing you have an appointment. Not knowing what the situation is that the Counselor is in.

If she helps people you might lose your job in Victim.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    July 8, 2011 4:19 p.m.

She will do fine, she very charismatic. I do however wonder how long daddy has been shopping this around? Like many I am tried of this chick and probably will not watch.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2011 2:06 p.m.

This is my second attempt to post a reasonable defense of my previous comment. Although originally denied, this in no way violates the rules of the Deseret News comment section.

- The attempted post -

I have made good attempts to give as objective as opinions as I can. I was not attacking Mrs. Smart nor was I saying anything inappropriate about her.

"most children don't get the mass media attention she is getting" was geared more at the 'most children' bit and less at Mrs. Smart. Are most kidnapped persons 23 years old or 5, 10, or 15 years of age?

Most 'Children' don't face the amount of media attention as did 'Mrs. Smart as a child'. She was a child when the event occurred, making my comment completely valid and appropriate.

My comment did not call her a child, it compared her situation to the situation of 'most children', which certainly applies as her 'situation' took place as a child.

Another point... although I personally am young, if I was 80 years old I would certainly be justified in calling her a child at even 23... just a bit of food for thought.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    July 8, 2011 12:21 p.m.

Miss Smart is 23. There is no reason to say things like "most children don't get the mass media attention she is geting". Miss Smart is not by any definition a child so will people stop refering to her as such please.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    July 8, 2011 12:14 p.m.

I never thought that someone would get so heavily denounced for taking a job that uses their expertise. The laborer is worthy of their higher and there is nothing wrong with getting paid as a consultant.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2011 11:20 a.m.

"I see shows on how to dress and what not to wear and what to wear and what to eat and where to live and what color is our "power" color and where does it all end? I ask what has happened to the ability of the average american to think for themselves?"

------------

I completely agree! BUT as much as I can't stand how much 'expert advice' (aka, telling you how to live your life) has flooded society today- it really wouldn't apply to this as a one could argue 'a rape victim, kidnapee, etc. would be helping to save lives, or good useful advice on how to cope, etc' - so there is a valid point in that... BUT again, I also don't think that being a victim of something automatically makes on an expert.

Most children don't get the mass media attention she is getting. That alone gives her a very different perspective 'after-math-wise' than most others. Her case was unique in many ways. She was out in public often while kidnapped... another thing uncommon. I'm not picking on her, just saying that her advice could very well not apply to most.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    July 8, 2011 8:54 a.m.

Read Elizabeth Smart's story. It is all over the internet. She has been involved in helping people who have been in her situation. She is an activist for the victims of these crimes and their families. If being kidnapped for nine months and treated like a slave with no dignity or rights does not make her an expert, then read of her achievements after she was recovered. She is a ray of hope for those who have no hope.

There are some who are perhaps envious of the Smart family and the wealth they seem to have. Some might even say that because they are rich, everything went so well for them. But money or wealth could not have made Elizabeth into the brave woman that she is. She could have sequestered herself from public life and lived very comfortably in her own circles. Instead, she goes out in public with a vengeance against those who would harm others the way she has been hurt.

God bless you Elizabeth. Keep up the good work.

• apache1 Phoenix, AZ
    July 8, 2011 12:36 a.m.

I am not a huge fan of Elizabeth Smart or her family, but I fail to see how she would be sought out as an "expert", I like to eat turkey bacon ....prehaps I am an expert on turkey bacon and just don't know it. We sadly live in a society that is too internet addicted and has become too afraid of their own ideas and "gut insticts" and now need so called "expert" to tell us everything about our lives. I see shows on how to dress and what not to wear and what to wear and what to eat and where to live and what color is our "power" color and where does it all end? I ask what has happened to the ability of the average american to think for themselves?

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    July 7, 2011 1:51 p.m.

I might just turn on my TV again.

ABC has done a Smart Thing by hiring Liz Smart. She is an expert in this subject matter and has a College Degree and massive people skills to go along with it.

I find No Fault with Ed Smart. He went after his Daughter, and perhaps with the help of Americas Most Wanted kept her alive. Evan the last time John did not want to Air it again but he did out of respect.

One afternoon two cops got pro active and Liz was back from the Dead case reopened.

Ed and his Daughter hang out alot and there is no harm in that. I hangout with my Adult Kids, we saw Cars 2 the other night.

Liz and her Dad are both experts in their field. Liz is also Cute, Smart and Talented. Very knowledgeable, people will listen. People will be helped. There is no better way then Media Exposure for your cause, This is not shilling, this is reaching Millions, and a great career op.

Liz Smart has what many College Grads,Recent RM's do Not Have and thats a job. A good paying job. Good for her.

• Deborah Huntington, WV
    July 7, 2011 1:40 p.m.

A lot of women in that position of being victimized, might want to just shrink from the public glare and live their lives in quiet anonymity.

Yet, this young woman has the courage to stand up to her "monster" and fight back, both in a court of law and in her willingness to publicly be a role model to others who might find themselves in that position.

Young girls are in dire need of positive role models. In this crazy day of Amys, Lynseys and Lady Gagas, how refreshing it is to have Elizabeth Smart!

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    July 7, 2011 1:22 p.m.

Re: Ms Molli. Sorry I misunderstood your initial post. Thanks for clarifying. I actually agree with your follow-up insight.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2011 1:01 p.m.

I do not hate Elizabeth Smart in any way nor am I being cynical in my attitude or comment on this...

But in those "cynical" remarks do have some valid points.

1) There is such a thing as over-doing a story. Hers was over done a long time ago, and I'm not including the trial coverage with that comment.

2) I remember a Mad-TV (a show I personally despise) clip that was on Youtube of her and her father at a press conference. Every time she started to talk, her dad interrupted her and started promoting a book or something else.

The point, I don't support the 'skit' mentioned, but that clip was a long time ago and we still see it all over the news... and the bit about promoting the book didn't come from thin air. Was it a valid criticism, I don't know... but I do know what public actions the Smart family has done since, as it's all over the news each time they lift a finger... and many of those actions, to me, don't necessarily equate to them doing anything wrong... but certainly make those kind of comments not unexpected or cynical.

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    July 7, 2011 12:26 p.m.

I agree with Vince.

Remember: Liz Smart was a 14 year old girl, in the safety of her Home and in her Bedroom that she shared with her younger sister, she was sleeping. Her older brother and parents where also at home. She was dreaming whatever and getting ready to spend another day being a productive Mormon Teenager.

Suddenely her home was invaded by a Monste and she was taken from her home, under threat of death to her and her sister if she made any noise.

She was taken into the Woods above her house and she was Monster Raped. She was monster Raped more or less everyday for the next Nine Months.

One day two Police Officers in Sandy Utah stopped a strange looking man with two other people who had their heads covered. Just for the GP of it.

One turned out to be Liz Smart. Liz was back from the Dead, and quickly rejoined to her dad and family.

From that time she obtained her HS Dipolma, A College Degree from BYU, and Served A Full Mission for her Church.

Now thats lemonade and I hope she sells a whole lot of it.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    July 7, 2011 12:14 p.m.

Elizabeth appears to be a very polished young woman. If she has demons, she is able to conceal them when she is out in public. Her parents and the rest of the Smart family were comfortable in the limelight and with the media and the public.
    Many parents of other missing children in a similar situation would not be able to function as the Smart family did during the time Elizabeth was missing. Emotions would cause many to be unable to even carry on a short conversation with media.
    The Smart family appeared unusual in that respect.That appears to be the cause of the "mixed" feelings, particularly for the "often televised" father, Ed.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    July 7, 2011 12:08 p.m.

"So. Cal Reader | 9:58 a.m. July 7, 2011
    Escondido, CA
    Re: Alterego & Ms Molli. You know what? If you do see those articles, guess what you can do? That's right. Don't read them or pay any attention to them."

I think you may have misunderstood my thoughts. I think the media needs to leave crime victims alone and let them live their life and stop reporting about them. Reporting about her possible job with ABC is one thing - she will be voluntarily putting her face out there in the public. But reporting about things that may occur in her private life in the future is another thing. Sometimes people seem to think they have some sort of right to know these things about people who have been in the news. I don't agree with that.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    July 7, 2011 12:07 p.m.

@ Alterego

Decent people like stories about people with remarkable courage that overcome great difficulties and turn great personal suffering into opportunities to help others. You speak only for yourself when you suggest we don't want to know how she is now helping heal others.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    July 7, 2011 12:02 p.m.

rifleman
    the comment was directed at ed, ed needs to move on now and let HER live her life.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    July 7, 2011 11:57 a.m.

Best wishes to Elizabeth and her family.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    July 7, 2011 11:38 a.m.

Geez people, stop with the mean spiritedness already!

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    July 7, 2011 11:17 a.m.

Wow! It is unbelievable the negative commentors in this state, and the jealousy's they have for someone that can endure the inflicted pains as a 14yr old and inspite of everything so severe, still maintain goals and direction in their life. Some I believe just don't understand motivation to excel in spite of! In todays society these negative unmotivated losers have too much company!

• Grandma19 Spanish Fork, UT
    July 7, 2011 11:03 a.m.

To all those cynical, unkind commenters: "Be careful of the words you say, say them soft and sweet. You never know from day-to-day which one's you'll have to eat."

• gmak Spanish Fork, UT
    July 7, 2011 10:24 a.m.

You go, Elizabeth! I'm sure you are trying to use your strength and knowledge to help others survive as you have. You are one of a kind and I hope this is going to allow you to reach out to others and help them. If you find a better way later, don't hesitate to follow your heart. I have confidence in you that you will choose the best path.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    July 7, 2011 10:11 a.m.

How quickly they forget. I am surprised that there are people that can be so sarcastic and rude about Elizabeth. This girl has shown over and over that she deserves nothing but respect. I would like to see you posters go through what she went through for nine months at age 14. I would like to see you and your family threatened to be killed, to be sexually abused every single day, to be given drugs and alcohol and to be brainwashed. Then I would like to see if you could let go of all that happened and turn your life into something good and productive. I am surprised that there are human beings on this earth that can stoop so low as to begrudge this girl. One day you may have a child or grandchild go through this and you will be grateful for Elizabeth Smart and her family to show how to survive. Cause most people could not come out of this like she did, but she is showing others it can be done.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    July 7, 2011 10:04 a.m.

I like the making lemonade analogy. Elizabeth is not only very bright but is beautiful and has good media presence.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 7, 2011 9:58 a.m.

Re: ute alumni | 8:59 a.m. July 7, 2011

No, this incredible young woman has proved that she is extremely capable of stand up on her own. She chose to be a winner and not a victim. People here in Utah admire that quality.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    July 7, 2011 9:58 a.m.

Re: Alterego & Ms Molli. You know what? If you do see those articles, guess what you can do? That's right. Don't read them or pay any attention to them. Kindly "move on" to what interests you. For the rest of us, this move by ABC is great for them and, especially, for Elizabeth. I hope for nothing but the best for her. And why wouldn't other readers want to see more of everything that is so uniquely good about Elizabeth? She is truly a one-in-a-million type of person. Let's hope none of us have to endure for 1 minute what she endured for 9 months. Enough good can never come her way.

• Clarissa Layton, UT
    July 7, 2011 9:51 a.m.

I believe she can do a lot of good. She has a perspective that may help others deal with similar ordeals. I have no problem with her earning some money for her willingness to help others. Some people are very cynical.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    July 7, 2011 9:48 a.m.

Don't do it, Elizabeth.
    You are more valuable to the cause than that. Don't shill for the network.

• Oh My Heck! Vernal, UT
    July 7, 2011 9:41 a.m.

Wow, some nasty comments here! I think this is a great way for Elizabeth to use her abilities and insight. And as for Ed, and Lois too, they are two very huge reasons, along with the rest of the family, that Elizabeth is in the place she is in today, with all that she went through. They have been supportive, and have been advocates for her, and others like her. And Elizabeth's faith is the foundation of it all. She is the product of loving parents who never gave up when she was missing, and have not given up through all the difficult adjustments since she was found. They supported her through the court trial, and they have helped her grow up to be independent and strong.

So, good luck to you Elizabeth! I hope you will be able to be of help to other families who are going through what yours went through. And I think Ed would be a great consultant resource when needed.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    July 7, 2011 9:38 a.m.

@ Alterego, Thank you! I am so glad to see I'm not the only person who feels this way!

• Alterego Ogden, UT
    July 7, 2011 9:23 a.m.

ka-ching.

Here's hoping we don't see an article anywhere in the media when she gets engaged, married, her first baby, second baby, career change, divorce, second marriage grandchildren and retirement.