Mark Zuckerberg speaks at BYU, calls Facebook "as much psychology and sociology as it is technology"

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    March 28, 2011 11:45 a.m.

Facebook, like most technologies, can be used for both good and bad. I found I had gotten sucked into one of the games there and significantly cut back on use. Others have the self control and purpose to use it beneficially.

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    March 27, 2011 2:44 a.m.

Hi Emjay:

Let me see if I can cut down the pseudointellectualism for you. Take a breath, re-read my comment, then read yours. Do this a couple of times, and what you'll see is that you and I are almost saying the same thing. I just went one step deeper than you. Most criticism's against capitalism take place in "absolute" terms. You statd that capitalism is the "best system...". I see it slightly different. I would say that American capitalism seems to have the best long-running track record for maximizing liberty and prosperity. If we however view it in absolute terms, I can easily point to problems inherent in the system, because in fact - it isn't perfect! However, compared to the economic alternatives, the discussion is quite moot. My entire comment was a compliment to Zuckerberg and an ultimate endorsement of capitalism, that requires no reading between the lines or abstract thinking.

You mentioned something about missing the forest through the trees? It would seem that either I communicated quite poorly, or you interpreted incorrectly. BY the way, I thought I would recommend your comment to see if I can help you with your mood.

• Emjay Somewhere in Time, UT
    March 26, 2011 6:14 p.m.

Dear Mormoncowboy: I love the pseudointellectualism. I have a really important question for you.....HUH????

Zuckerberg is a kid who had a great idea and made a few mistakes along the way. He has worked toward settling those things in his life. Zuckerberg is a perfect example of why capitalism is the best system available to provide goods, services and prosperity to everyone. And...I don't care how rich he or anyone else gets if he/she provides things that make the world better. Honestly, there are some people who can't see the forest for the trees.

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    March 26, 2011 1:24 p.m.

I wouldn't look at it terms of morals. The fact is, it is not "right" for a single person to control that amount of wealth. It is also not "right" for a government to take it away, so I struggle with the ethics here. Still, a lot of what he clearly does with that wealth is "right". So if has to go to somebody, I prefer it to be someone like him, who senses and embraces the social responsibility - even if only partially. What the school district will do with the money will likely be inefficient and wasteful.

Secondly, I do like how his money was earned, ie, by providing a desirable service. Facebook is in fact broadening the social channels, and that can have global implications for peace, education and tolerance. Suffice it say, creating a program that allows people to make "friends" and manage friendships, is hardly a waste of time. Did he "earn" 13.5 billion dollars? Of course not. But in our system, money is incidental to creating and distributing worth while things, and Zuckerburg did that. Besides, alternative systems have proven far worse.

• Instereo Eureka, UT
    March 26, 2011 9:27 a.m.

I think one of the greatest lessons of history is that new technology not only advances people, it also leaves people behind. People have to choose what they are going to do with it.

Technology also is not just about machines, it's about ideas. The alphabet is a technology that extended our memory. I look at Facebook as a technology that extends our social network.

Things like Facebook, Netflix, iPods, Twitter, and Google have changed the world in a very short time. CD sales are down but music listeners are up. Newpaper sales are down but news readership is up. Just think, our revolution took anywhere from 7-13 years depending on if you want to start at the Tea Party or Lexington and Concord and conclude with Yorktown or the constitution. The revolution in Eygpt took less then a month and is spreading all over the Middle East.

New Technology that taps into people's real needs moves the world. Facebook is just the latest technology to do that. I for one think it's a great product.

• jw Salt Lake City, UT
    March 26, 2011 1:55 a.m.

jw likes this article.

• UgottaloveMaxie SLC, UT
    March 26, 2011 12:16 a.m.

what did he speak about? dropping out of school, stabbing your best friend in the back? lol. It's ok, he's a stud and indeed has given us what we want; it's why he's a billionaire now. just ironic that he spoke at byu.

• diddy Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 25, 2011 11:52 p.m.

One man gives information to the public about corporations for free. He's put in prison. Another gives your personal information to corporations and makes billions. He's man of the year.

• Bearone Monroe, UT
    March 25, 2011 10:48 p.m.

I was not a big fan of FB when it first started, but I am a fan now. I don't waste time playing silly games, but it has allowed me to connect with some people (friends) who I haven't seen or talked to in almost 50 years. I reconnected with them only through FB.

Whether it is good or bad--depends on how the person uses it. Some people let themselves be addicted to it and then blame the program for their weakness.

• Small town mom Vernal, UT
    March 25, 2011 8:22 p.m.

Right on CHS 85!
    My family is spread all over Utah and back East. I live 3 hours away from most my friends and family, and thank goodness for facebook! I don't post things often, but I check on my married kids and teenagers. Sharing family photos has been a blast! Not everyone made it to our son's weddings, but the next day they all saw wedding photos.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    March 25, 2011 7:48 p.m.

The guy donated 100 million to Newark, NJ schools so I would agree with the poster above that it is better that he has this wealth because a significant amount of it is directly going to help people.

• chapinitouteco West Jordan, Ut
    March 25, 2011 7:24 p.m.

I think Hatch was there to show off his new cosmetic surgery.

• Munk Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 25, 2011 6:31 p.m.

Frankly for one, I see this as a success story and proof that our way of life is the best. Success, innovation and capitalism are supposed to be part of what makes this country great.

• MormonDem Provo, UT
    March 25, 2011 6:29 p.m.

Why was Orrin there again?

• Considering Stockton, UT
    March 25, 2011 5:33 p.m.

You've got to give credit to those who manage to provide large numbers of people with a product or service they want.

This young man has amassed a lot of money for providing people something they want. I wonder if anyone will attempt to claim--much less provide any evidence--that someone is less well off because of the money Zuckerberg has made.

In other words, if Zuckerberg had not created facebook, and nobody else had either, and thus had not earned the money he did, who would be better off financially?

I contend nobody. And thus Zuckerman is as entitled to his money as is anyone else. He should not be expected to bear an extra tax burden or higher rate just because he has provide a product or service that is widely popular.

• Captain Kanab, UT
    March 25, 2011 5:23 p.m.

@ Johnny Triumph

That comments not bad for a guy who got all of his information from a movie. I guess that was one of those "productive" things you were talking about. You talk about how social networking is a waste of time and you are basically doing the same thing.

• Frank Staheli Santaquin, ut
    March 25, 2011 5:16 p.m.

Zuckerberg shared his vision of why Facebook is so popular and so successful.

• Utah Jazz fan Chris Clearfield, UT
    March 25, 2011 4:50 p.m.

@CHS 85

Nice response, Facebook can be convenient because we can keep in the with family and family is important in our lives.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    March 25, 2011 4:37 p.m.

@Johnny Triumph

I guess I need to stop wasting time communicating with my family who is spread out all over the country. I'll stop wasting my time looking at my niece's wedding photos since I was unable to attend. My other niece had a baby in California and I was wasting time looking at his cute pictures. I guess that isn't productive, but everyone deserves a little down time to communicate with family and friends.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 25, 2011 4:04 p.m.

gosh, boys. Jealous much?

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    March 25, 2011 3:55 p.m.

Not bad for a guy who stole the idea from an employer. I really wish we'd quit giving flashes like this the time of day. Social Media is a flash in the pan and a complete waste of time, there's little technological value there. If we put all of our facebook time into real items and real productivity we'd have a much better America.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 25, 2011 3:49 p.m.

he looks like he is about 19 years old. Probably about 23.