Utah Utes football: Utes torch Cowboys 30-6

• Danocin West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2010 6:01 p.m.

If BYU had our schedule, they would be undefeated too hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Oregon Ute Hermiston, OR
    Oct. 17, 2010 12:54 p.m.

Good win in a tough place to play, but I agree with some of the other posts. 3 interceptions, 2 in the endzone is horrific. Whit won't be too happy about that. I think Wynn did a good job but needs to maintain his focus. He seemed to be a bit lax on the sideline playing around rather than focusing on the game. Any thoughts?

• lanius Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 17, 2010 12:15 p.m.

I wonder if the strength of schedule argument is going to be brought up next year by Cougar fans?

Bottom line - a win is a win, a loss is a loss...unless you get blown out in every loss!

• Brettski2024 Concord, CA
    Oct. 17, 2010 11:53 a.m.

Go Utes!

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Oct. 17, 2010 10:21 a.m.

if Laramie was as beautiful as yesterday, I would gladly return but, I've also been there when it was too cold to watch a game. If the Utes were to schedule a home and home in September, it would still be fun. I was givem 50 yard line seats, right in the middle of the stadium, in the Cowboy Joe Club section and the fans were great to sit with. I live in Evanston and Wyo. fans are some of the best. Isn't funny how the TDS trolls show up when their team doesn't have a replay official to help them win (as if it would have mattered saturday). Utah turns the ball over 3 times on the road and still wins by 24. TDS couldn't win at home if they had the ball handed to them 3 times

• Utes4Ever Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 17, 2010 10:21 a.m.

@ NC UTES 2010 | 11:34 p.m. Oct. 16, 2010

"And again stop the "Let's focus one game at a time" nonsense UNLESS YOU ARE ON THE TEAM AND YOU ARE TALKING TO TEAMMATES.

Yes - I can look ahead without it impacting anything. Know why? We're not on the team."

Knock it off!! You sound like a darn Zoob talking like that. There are plenty of YBU fans that would love to have you and your attitude among their ranks. Take that talk over to their side.

• pocyUte2 Pocatello, Id
    Oct. 17, 2010 10:12 a.m.

Burgundy,

2-5, always a strong position from which to talk. It's possible Utah will lose AFA and TCU, it's also possible that Utah would have lost to Nevada, FSU and USU. But the fact is, BYU already did.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Oct. 17, 2010 8:48 a.m.

re:Cougar76
    You have a lot of bravado sticking your nose into the "making fun of Utah" camp. I'd suggest a little big of humble pie at this point.
    If you watch college football every saturday you realize that Utah probably isn't a top 10 team. But you can't take the wins away from them. They're putting the scores up when others are falling to weak, unimpressive teams. They may not have a great strength of schedule, but if the show was on the other foot and BYU was playing this out, you'd be the first in line complaining they were not #1 in the polls.
    Keep it up Utes. Run the table and lets see how the BCS can handle it.

• flintrock Rigby, Id
    Oct. 17, 2010 7:14 a.m.

I have no clue what Wynn was thinking when he threw up those clunkers in the end zone. They were not passes in the skill sense of the game. Did he think Asiata could out jump anybody to get to one of those turkey's he put up in the air. Second half of the game was an embarrassment to watch. Cain should have been inserted earlier.

• Kameron South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2010 7:12 a.m.

@sammyg

Even if Utah goes 8-4 (likely) next year in the Pac12 and BYU goes 11-1 (unlikely) Utah will end up in a better bowl and will receive more exposure. In reality, Utah could go 9-3 and still play in the Rose Bowl. Membership has its' privelages! Go Utes!

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2010 1:41 a.m.

We never have to go to Laramie again!!! Hooray!!! What I'm most impressed by today is the defense. Great game by them! The offense looked pretty good too, but we've got to clean up the turnovers. Even so, taking into consideration that two of the turnovers came in the red zone, 30-6 is pretty good.

@ sammyg and cougar76,
    2-5 must sting. I understand why you're taking your frustration out on the Utes' strength of schedule, but, in the end, our team keeps winning and your team keeps losing. Say what you want, but try not to choke on it when Utah thrashes byu just like all of the other weak teams on their schedule.

Good win UTES!!!

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2010 12:58 a.m.

I'll take the win. Goodbye Laramie, you will not be missed. Not the prettiest game, but a win is a win. Defense looked great. Offense was a little stiff, but still productive. Wynn made some bad decisions, they need to be eliminated. He still is a very solid QB. Now the focus is on CSU. Great time for the Utes!

• R.Burgundy Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 17, 2010 12:33 a.m.

When is the U finally going to play someone? I mean a great High School teams could give some of the teams on their schedule a good game! Enjoy the ride until TCU comes calling and hands you your hat! TCU 34 Utah 10

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 16, 2010 11:52 p.m.

SammyG and Zooby76: Seriously? Have you nothing better to do than demonstrate your jealousy and bitterness on our story? You just scored 3 points today and you are talking about SOS? Too funny. We will play our tough games while you move on to your "cupcake" stage of your schedule. We will take the games one at a time and if we win all, we will deserve a BCS game. You, on the other hand, will struggle with our "cupcakes". If you win all the rest of the games you are supposed to win, you will be 6-6 and maybe get an invite to the New Mexico Bowl. You can't slip up once or you will not be bowl eligible. After what CSU did today, I highly doubt you will get past them.

Just remember, we will take the games one at a time, even our remaining two "cupcake" games: CSU and the zoo.

Congratulations to the U and to coach Whitt on the win today. Not a pretty one, but still VERY dominating at War Memorial Stadium.

It is a great time to be a Ute.

Good luck to Wyoming next week on their "cupcake" game.

• NC UTES 2010 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 11:34 p.m.

Several more top 10 teams lost. Boise will eventually lose to Nevada. Utah will pull out a close one against TCU. That's right - it's happening. #1 by the end of the season.

We sound stupid when we act like we are on the team.

Anyways - NC UTES 2010!

• Smack Jefferson City, MO
    Oct. 16, 2010 11:29 p.m.

I'm glad the Utes showed up ready and got the win. We probably should have taken this one by a wider margin, but to come away with the win on the road is great.

Wynn, Wynn, Wynn--ouch! Three interceptions was hard to take. But I'd rather have Wynn give up some interceptions in this game--a game where we can afford the turnovers--than the Air Force or TCU games.

So long, Wyoming.

• rogerdodger Logan, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 11:27 p.m.

One game at a time and just worry about your own team. 6-0 is still 6-0. The Utes schedule will get tougher but they just need to take care of themselves. GO Utes. Good win today

• UtahRoper Wellsville, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 11:24 p.m.

The Utes are winning, one cannot complain about their SOS, it is what it is. BYU is struggling, but I look at Florida and the great UB and quess what, they're also struggling. There are up years and down years and this is a down year for BYU. I remember some very disappointing down years for my Huskers. You have to accept the bad with the good. Kudos to Utah! they are doing what they need to do. A NC, doubtful, after their loss to TCU, but they are having a great season. The NC game may be TCU v. BSU. That would be something!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 11:14 p.m.

@ Ibleedcrimson... cry me a river.

"Hey admins please explain to me how you can silently delete 4 out of 5 of my post's but somehow sammyg's is ok, seems to be a real BYU bias."

Gee, did I offend someone? I simply state that the Utes did not shutout the Cowpokes, as predicted, Cowboys moved the ball better than anticipated AND that a NC is a long shot.

Whine all you want. The fact is that there is plenty of REAL football ahead for the Utes. Not these Hostess cupcake games. Play a tougher schedule next year and let's see if the move to the PAC-12 will play out like you think it will. Can't wait to see these next few games.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 16, 2010 11:00 p.m.

@sammyg

Utah played a sloppy game with 3 INTs in the endzone yet still beat them by 24 points.

I rather beat a cupcake then be one. The cupcake down south now has been blown out 9 times since 2008.

What do you know about playing the big boys by going 3-2 in Vegas. Last time you played in January was 1996.

It was a good win by Utah but like said sloppy. We can get away witheir against the 2 remaining cupcakes CSU and BYU but the other 4 games we can end up losing.

Go Utes!!!

• JSea Ogden, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 10:46 p.m.

It's funny how people get jealous just because another team is winning and their's is not. They come up with all kinds of excuses to put them down. Teams play the schedule put before them and they are not the ones that make the schedule. Congrats to the the Utes and how well they have performed. Byu played well today against TCU but just didn't have enough to stay with them. Good luck to both teams throughout the rest of the year. GO UTES!!!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 10:25 p.m.

Thanks DNews for deleting my post, would really like to know why. Was it because I'm very doubtful of a NC bid for Utah????

Think its funny that rabid Ute fans are beseiging the BYU / TCU story and having their day en masse and little o' me here on a story with 13 comments and I get thrown out for a straigt forward comment on the game and a response to a NC comment.

Mesquite, I never said the Pokes moved the ball "at will", your words not mine. I mentioned the fact that they moved ball. You would think that with all the pregame hype that this game would be worse than Iowa's spanking last week. It wasn't. The Cowboys actually did a better job than what any Ute would admit pregame. Everyone said this would be a shutout, didn't happen.

SOS is going to bite the Utes and they still have to get by AFA, TCU and albeit a struggling BYU.

Though some big boys fell this weekend, these are just blips. If you want to run with the big dogs you better play them. Ain't happening for the Utes this season.

• pocyUte2 Pocatello, Id
    Oct. 16, 2010 10:23 p.m.

cougar76

Will someone explain to me how a fan of a team who is 2-5 can trash talk against a team that is 6-0. It's like the player who trash talks while his team is down 50.

Record is the only thing that matters.

• cougar76 Provo, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 10:07 p.m.

Six wins against teams with losing records. WOW. BYU? Technically SOS is based on the opponent's win/loss record, not BYU loses. Five loses with four against top 25 teams. BYU's SOS is lightyears ahead of the ewe. Oh, and I recognize BYU's season for what it is, so I'll sleep fine, thanks. ibleedcrimson...how appropriate. The bloodletting starts in two weeks.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 9:13 p.m.

"How many teams leapfrog Utah's LOL SOS this weak?"

Probably a few, the Cougs SoS rating should jump up though with their 5th loss. Hope that keeps your warm at night!!

• Wiley Old School RIC, VA
    Oct. 16, 2010 9:12 p.m.

What a great day for football in the Beehive state! Both Utah and BYU beat the spread by two points!!! Good times!

• MESOUTE Albany, NY
    Oct. 16, 2010 9:02 p.m.

Sammyg,
    Although I agree that the Utes looked aweful in the win it was still a W. But how can you, with a straight face, say that the Pokes moved the ball at will? 183 yards for them. Are you trying to be funny? Took care of business, that is what the Utes did. Wynn concerns me. He is quite high on himself and hopefully those three, count'em 3 INTs will humble him a bit. A W is a W.

• cougar76 Provo, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 8:55 p.m.

Game points: 30-6
    Style points: 0
    How many teams leapfrog Utah's LOL SOS this weak?

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 8:46 p.m.

It wasn't the Utes best game offensively yet the still won by 24 on the road.

Hey admins please explain to me how you can silently delete 4 out of 5 of my post's but somehow sammyg's is ok, seems to be a real BYU bias. I'm sure this will be deleted to, you have my email feel free to send me one, go ahead educate me!!

• Utefan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 8:29 p.m.

Disappointing win! The Wynn was terrible throwing three interceptions, two in Wyo's end zone! We should have scored at the end...just to be closer to TCU butt kicking...the truth is if Wynn doesn't throw the interceptions and we score and Coach Witt does not decide to be merciful at the end...we should have beaten them by more than TCU!!

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Oct. 16, 2010 8:27 p.m.

#1 OSU lost.
    #5 Nebraska lost.
    #10 So Carolina lost.

Utah will move 1, 2 spots to either #9 or #8 in the polls.

Good win today.
    Utah probably will not play in Wyoming again for a very long time --if ever.

6-0 is much better than 1-6, I will tell you that.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Oct. 16, 2010 8:15 p.m.

The BCS is such a joke... Michigan State and Auburn still unbeaten while twice beaten Texas knocks off Nebraska and the mighty Buckeyes looking typically over confident before losing a miserable effort against Wisconsin. But the lame Ducks of Oregon will now move up to number one while Boise State, TCU and Utah remain pushed to the side...Typical!!!

• Kameron South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 8:11 p.m.

Hasta la vista, adios, adieu, good bye to Laramie. Good bye to New Mexico. The only town I'll miss is San Diego and Las Vegas. Hello San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Eugene, Phoenix, Tuscon, Boulder, Pullman and Boulder. Oh and Corvalis.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 7:53 p.m.

I have said it since week one and I will say it again. Utah WILL win the national championship this year

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 16, 2010 7:28 p.m.

Good win for Utah. Not quite the offensive show as last week but still a solid win in a tough environment (so long Laramie). Go Utes.

• UtahManDan Providence, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 7:24 p.m.

I have to agree with the Utah haters with regards to our SOS. Did you see what Oklahoma did to ISU? We haven't beat anyone yet, so it's hard to tell how good we are. I don't like all the turnovers. You'd think six games into the season they could get a handle on that one. It will be interesting to see how this season unfolds.

Go Utes!

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Oct. 16, 2010 7:20 p.m.

Way to take care of business UTES!! We will definitely be moving up thanks to Nebraska & South Caroling losing.