Karl Malone is one of a kind

• blovegrovec
    Aug. 12, 2010 7:50 p.m.

I'm getting tired of articles about Malone.. let's hear about the man of great character, John Stockton.

• Jazz Cop
    Aug. 12, 2010 3:01 p.m.

bummer article, is he trying to honor the mailman or pick at him as if he was invited to a roasting, what a joker this author is, i'm laughing, not!!!!

• Jazz Cop
    Aug. 12, 2010 11:27 a.m.

• Houdini
    Aug. 12, 2010 2:37 a.m.

over rated

• the matrix
    Aug. 11, 2010 10:45 p.m.

The Mailman is the greatest of all time!! He was the second leading scorer of all time. He was a great rebounder and one of the best passing big men of all time. Jazzsmack he played 19 years with the Jazz and not 17. No big man ever ran the floor better then the Mailman. To say he should have been a bit player instead of the center piece is laughable. He took the Jazz to two finals but ran into MJ. In addition he won two MVP awards and is considered by Chris Berman of Espn has the greatest power forward of all time. If I were building a team one of the very first players I would pick would be Malone. I miss Karl a lot. He played the game the way it should be played. He played with passion, hustle and intensity. He was the greatest power forward of all time period!!

• the matrix
    Aug. 11, 2010 10:26 p.m.

To Jazzsmack, How can you say that the Mailman is the most over rated!! He was the second leading scorer in the history of the league. A two time league MVP he averaged almost 25 points a game for his career and was one of the best rebounding players of all time. In addition he is considered one of the best passing big men ever to play and no big man ever ran the floor as well as he did. Jazzsmack you don't know your basketball. Karl played 19 years with the Jazz not 17. Many great big men never won a championship. It takes a team to win a championship and the Jazz went to two NBA finals because of Malone. They would have won except for running into MJ. With the Mailmans ability and skill there is noway he could not be the centerpiece. What a laughable comment to say the Jazz would have won if Malone was a bit player. Wow what a silly comment!! Malone is the greatest power forward of all time period!! I dare Jazzsmack to name somebody better. P.S. Chris Berman of Espn thinks he is the greatest also.

• Jazzsmack
    Aug. 11, 2010 7:35 p.m.

Karl malone is the MOST over-rated PF of all time.

Jazz would have won a championship long ago if was a complimentary peice,

and not the center piece of the jazz.

While many may disgree with me,

the fact is in some 17 years with the jazz he delivered nothing.

that does NOT happen to TRUE premier big men.

there are PFs that put on show, put up the gaudy numbers, but never get really the job done, they can't make things happen,

karl was just one the better ones of those types

a great PURE PF? sure
    The greatest ever? nope.

no one would HONESTLY take malone ever a number of other PFs when creating a team.

• Mr. E. Meat
    Aug. 11, 2010 7:17 p.m.

man, those cheney jokes never get old. stick to sports robinson, nobody cares about your politics, and your attempt at humor is lame.

• wookieUSU
    Aug. 11, 2010 7:16 p.m.

indeed wookie Wookies do what wookies gotta do! (remove appendages, etc.)

Karl Malone you made the NBA interesting to watch all season long, not just in the playoffs. I miss watching those games. Too bad, because now I really have to struggle sometimes to watch in the regular season.

• Humm??
    Aug. 11, 2010 5:39 p.m.

To Anonymous Infinity: TRUTH and the REAL things that affect our lives, like politics, government actions? You've got to be kidding me. TRUTH and the REAL things don't even go with politics and government actions.

• bgl
    Aug. 11, 2010 4:24 p.m.

He was something that the 40 year old xbox players and fellows who live in their parents basements at age 30 can appreciate, but never really understand. Karl Malone is a MAN. An earn every cent by the sweat of your brow and the strength of your character MAN. BGL will say it again so's you understand where BGL is comin from. In a sports world of boys--this guy was a MAN.

• Sokol
    Aug. 11, 2010 3:49 p.m.

Look at the stats. Look at the toughness. Look at the guys career and who surrounded him. I am appalled that the Deseret News would not defend Malone as state clearly that he was and is the Greatest Power Forward to ever lacem up. This guy
    was a better shooter, defender, rebounder, assist guy, leader, scorer and he played the power forward position, instead of the 5....He had Ostertag and Duncan had Robinson....Malone was the greatest.

• woodmaster6225
    Aug. 11, 2010 2:32 p.m.

Karl is a man's, man. One day their was a contrustion site going on and my brother-in-law in a wheelchair was in trouble, Karl pully over and got out of his car and help my handicap brother-in-law across the street. He pick up his chair and carryied
    him across the street. My brother-in-law has sents pass and is in a better place right now. He is not only a basketball player but a very giving man. Karl cares about others more then himself. Do you think Duncan, Barkely, pippen or Jordon would of stop and help this man. No I don't think So they would of just drove by. Their to high and mighty to help other. That's why Karl is more then just a basketball player.

• USAlover
    Aug. 11, 2010 2:12 p.m.

Totally disagree with CJ Miles comment.

Karl Malone was plenty good enough to have won an NBA Championship.

There are enough Hall of Famers in every sport to provide proof of that fact.

Karl was one of two or three of the greatest to EVER play his position.

My recommendation is that you stick to your arm-chair and popcorn while watching Jazz games.

• BillM75
    Aug. 11, 2010 2:05 p.m.

"We media types appreciate guys who speak honestly and originally."

Mr. Robinson, you're a liar and you know it. When they speak "honestly and originally" you brand them as "loose cannons" or "potential distractions" or "bulletin board material providers".

Oh, but Pete Sampras, Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, Tiger Woods, Derek Jeter & Tom Brady (aka the biggest winners) were/are "boring" and "bad interviewees".

Malone & Barkley? No rings and constantly attacked for their comments. Which group would YOU choose to be a part of?

• maidenwings
    Aug. 11, 2010 1:23 p.m.

Dosent Him and his wife still have a Business here..

• CJ Miles
    Aug. 11, 2010 1:21 p.m.

There will never be another Karl Malone. Nor will there ever be another Bird, Magic or Jordan. Some players are one-of-a-kind and Malone was that type of player.

Karl was a man among boys in the NBA. No one could stop him in his prime. Unfortunately, he was not a go-to type of player down the stretch that could create his own shot. That's why there are no championships in Utah. Karl was a 46 minute all-star who didn't have the goods to take over the last two minutes. Stockton was better at that!!

• btripod
    Aug. 11, 2010 11:43 a.m.

Besides the player, there is a man as tall as the player is, the Karl Malone that I met years ago, when he helped my handicapped twins, and my family through the Karl Malone Foundation.
    My respects for that great man, his kindness, toughness, generosity and his great personality.
    We miss Karl a lot!!!!
    You really are one of a kind!!!

• Not Asleep
    Aug. 11, 2010 9:58 a.m.

John and Karl were great basketball players and I appreciated watching them. But to say the current players haven't earned the right to do whatever (speak their mind, etc) I don't think is fair. DWill, Milsap, AK, Matthews, CJ, Korver, Price, they have all showed great heart and left their games on the court though they may not have been as talented or durable they have given it all they had. For those who dispute AK, I don't hestitate to inlcude him. Though he did not know what his role was during a stretch (very understandable going from All Star to role player) and a couple of injuries sidelined him don't forget the impact he had when he started during that stretch before he injured his calf. He has great heart. For those who dispute Korver, I submit he gave it his all-- he just didn't have the level to go against some of the great athletes in the game. But he gave it his all.

• Anonymous Infinity
    Aug. 11, 2010 9:25 a.m.

We hear too much about celebrities and sports athletes private lives. Why can't their lives be private. I don't want to be inundated with Malone's, Woods, or anyone elses misdeeds. We need to know about TRUTH and the REAL things that affect our lives, like politics, government actions.

• LuVePacifica
    Aug. 11, 2010 9:15 a.m.

me too i miss Karl his ways n attitude he has a great personality,Thank you Karl~

• USAlover
    Aug. 11, 2010 9:13 a.m.

Rarely do you say this about over-paid professional athetes: The guy earned his money.

Karl Malone EARNED his money.

• USAlover
    Aug. 11, 2010 9:08 a.m.

The Utah Jazz wouldn't be in Utah without him.

Karl, we miss your toughness and committment. Thanks for all the points and victories.

• ed
    Aug. 11, 2010 9:04 a.m.

Malone could get away with his candor because of what he did on the court. Nobody on this team, including D-Will, has earned that right.

• Mark9398
    Aug. 11, 2010 8:05 a.m.

Amen. I miss that guy.

• Hairy Curmudgeon
    Aug. 11, 2010 7:59 a.m.

Good article. The Jazz haven't been the same since Malone left.

However, I think you meant to say "Barack Obama news conference".

• Wookie
    Aug. 11, 2010 7:20 a.m.

Wookie gotta do what Wookie gonna do...

I miss Karl Malone...I wish (hope) we had (have) other players with such candor...AJ...step up and fulfill your destiny...

• Vanilla12
    Aug. 11, 2010 7:03 a.m.

I have always considered myself to be more of a Stockton fan, but when I look back on things, Malone was probably the reason I cared about the team. He was the passion... the fire.

Sure, he said some dumb things, but I have always been impressed by his willingness to give back. Like all of us, he grew up along the way, but he's always been a genuine person.

Congrats on the HOF. I wish I was there to see it.

• Dick of the NW
    Aug. 11, 2010 6:48 a.m.

When you watch some of the highlights of Karl and John, it makes you realize we were watching greatness and didn't know it. When John and Karl played, it was a man's game in the paint. Now the refereeing has made it a softies game. Don't touch me or I'll tell and yell. Now, due to the changes in refereeing, there isn't much of a difference between the regular season and the playoffs. Congrats to one of the greatest players of all time. Thank you Karl.