George P. Lee dies

• Californian#[email protected]
    July 31, 2010 7:37 p.m.

The Trib and most of its forum posters never miss a chance to heap mud on anyone or anything Mormon, and some of the posters here ought to go and stay over there.

Elder Lee was before my time in the Church, so I don't know his whole story. Having spent time around Tuba City and Ganado and developed a love for the Din'e, I am sorry for their loss as well as the loss to the Church that his story represents.

I think of his enormous potential: someone who like Sidney Rigdon or Sam Brannan could have been a leader of truly great stature had he taken a different path. He evidently had great talent and ability and many people appreciate the legacy that he did leave. Like Brannan and Rigdon, who died in obscurity outside the fellowship of the Saints, Elder Lee will have to account to God and not newspaper readers for whatever he did in this life.

The fact that his funeral will be at a stake center suggests that both he and the Church did not fully lose their love and respect for each other.

• Gr8Dane
    July 31, 2010 6:46 p.m.

"I the Lord will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men."

• GoodBuffaloEagle
    July 31, 2010 6:26 p.m.

I am GoodBuffaloEagle, hear my words:
    As we walk through life… none of us are exempt from “walking backward”.
    There is only one perfect Being…
    Let us look beyond the blemishes and frailties and find a seed of greatness in all the two-legged beings. For the Holy One who walked on water, who was without blemishes, softly stated: "… let he who is without sin, cast the first stone…"

• countrygirl
    July 31, 2010 6:12 p.m.

my sympathy and prayers go to the family of Elder Lee. There are so many positive and uplifting thoughts floating around 'out there', so I choose to think positive and uplifting thoughts. When I leave this earth, I would sure love it, if people remember the good things I might have said or done. I too have a very dear person in mind, who was instrumental in teaching my husband the Gospel and thereby changing his life forever for the better, this person some not so smart things later in his life, but that doesn't detract from the good he did for us and others. God knows our hearts, he knew us before we were born.

• MoJules
    July 31, 2010 4:53 p.m.

People change when they lose the spirit or walk away from the Gospel, I have seen that in the life of someone very close to me. I remember that sweet wonderful spirit and it seems weird to hear the things they now think and believe. But I also have to remember that those spirits existed for eternities and our Father in Heaven knows them more then we do and that is where we need to remember to have faith. I believe that that core good spirit that so many saw and knew exists, and we have no clue what the outcome will be. Alma the younger had his refiners fire in three days, will ours be 300 years after we die? But will be also have a mighty change of heart, I believe we will.

• DesertRat
    July 31, 2010 4:17 p.m.

He gave one of the best talks on the Savior during general conference that I have ever heard.

• Diwoozhi Gurl
    July 31, 2010 1:09 p.m.

Condolences to the family of Mr. Lee and the people he served. I'm sure his loving mother is grateful to get him back in her arms. Mothers always love their children in spite of what they go through.

• wild flower
    July 31, 2010 11:53 a.m.

JOHN D.LEE was indeed a good man too- A god fearing man was he. By any chance are these two LEE's related?

• onebigdaddy
    July 31, 2010 11:20 a.m.

I remember playing basket-ball with and against him at the Deseret Gym when he was a GA. This was before he had his problems with his life.

I always wondered why he fell away — that just goes to prove the old saying “there but for the grace of God goes I”.

Any of us can fall down if we don’t work at continually — Satan desires all of us to fail and he got Brother George who was a GA.

• Doctor
    July 31, 2010 11:06 a.m.

I think it is very pertinent. He is not a man to be revered.

• daizy
    July 31, 2010 10:45 a.m.

This is nothing to make an issue of. Stop this!

• dung beetle
    July 31, 2010 8:33 a.m.

Yes, George lost his way and the Lord and the Church lost a great servant when he would not retrace his footsteps. He has to deal with the consequences. We can mourn his losses (and ours) without remembering the ugliness. Let the Trib deal with that - they do it so well.

• JBs
    July 31, 2010 7:54 a.m.

Good post, Tony.

And a very classy way to handle this, DesNews. Thanks!

• nat
    July 31, 2010 6:11 a.m.

Concerned that my first comment hasn't shown up yet. Omitting his criminal case and excommunication does a disservice to his victim and the church. Yes, it was ugly, but it was true. We should be able to expect the ugly truth from our NEWSpaper, not a revisionist history.

• tony
    July 30, 2010 7:44 p.m.

I served under President George P. Lee in the Arizona Holbrook Mission. President Lee was a great mission president;great leadership, great teacher, great motivater,very kind and loving and a man of great faith. He was very dedicated to his work as a mission president. I along with the missionaries I knew and came under my leadership had great love,respect and admiration for Elder Lee. We felt very privileged to serve under his leadership.
    We felt very sad for what had transpired in his life with the Church. The testimony that we gained through our mission remained with us and we followed the prophet. However, we cannot forget what all Brother Lee had done for us. We mourn his loss and our hearts go out to his children. It's just sad, for we loved and respected Sister Lee also. She was very supportive and worked just as hard as President Lee.
    I cannot judge Bro. George P. Lee. That's between him and the Lord. We all sin and come short of the glory of God. He is in God's hand now. Good journey, my friend!...... Tony

• jane
    July 30, 2010 7:17 p.m.

So sorry, our prayers go with his family.

• Utah Dem
    July 30, 2010 5:27 p.m.

I had the opportunity, when he was still as GA, to hear his speak in Montana - what a wonderful and powerful talk he gave. I was so impressed with him. And it was unfortunate about 'his fall from grace'.

• SandyJane
    July 30, 2010 3:44 p.m.

I too wondered why more wasn't written (my comment was posted this morning, but then yanked for some reason) -- all I did was ask why this paper omitted recounting so much of Lee's notable history.

• LDS Liberal
    July 30, 2010 3:30 p.m.

God Speed you Elder Lee.....

• Dektol
    July 30, 2010 3:15 p.m.

Why not an article that is much more informative? This one says little about a seminal figure in LDS leadership and the problems both he and LDS inc had with each other.

• Dektol
    July 30, 2010 3:14 p.m.

Why not an informative article? Or will you be doing one in the next few days?

• Levi
    July 30, 2010 2:25 p.m.

justired -

Thanks! That was FAR more informative.

• ida-coug
    July 30, 2010 2:23 p.m.

So sad..............

• justired
    July 30, 2010 9:01 a.m.

see the trib article for the rest of the story (at least part)

• LJ
    July 30, 2010 7:46 a.m.

I also choose to remember the good in people. Thank you Deseret News for showing respect to George's children and grand children at this sensitive time.