Utah Jazz: Al Jefferson trade a done deal

Kosta Koufos part of the deal that sends two draft picks to Minnesota

• Yippidy Skippidy
    July 16, 2010 10:28 a.m.

Good move on behalf of the Jazz. Jefferson is a stud in so many ways. Great guy all around, and I think he'll fit nicely with the Jazz.

Unfortunately, for some of you who think playoffs are in the upcoming season for the Jazz. I Don't think you'll break the top ten. Too many non factor players right now. I like the Jazz, but I'm a SUNS fan, and with the moves the Suns have made, they will absolutely make the playoffs. See them in the top four again this year.

8 teams that will beat out Utah for the west:
    1 Suns
    2 Nuggets
    3 Lakers
    4 Blazers
    5 San Antonio
    6 Dallas
    7 Thunder
    8 Clippers (Dark Horse this season)

• the truth
    July 14, 2010 11:30 p.m.

With KOufos gone,

since 1999,
    the Jaz noe only 2,

2!

of their first round draft picks still on the team,

(I do not count hayward, as he is yet to prove himself)

and three second rounders, (though fes is yet to resign)

so there it is,

5 out of twenty plus picks,

and you guys still think the Jazz management is good art evalualting talent and potential?

the list is a long one of players they have by passed or over looked.

its time for sloan and all the old management to go.

• Kakashi
    July 14, 2010 7:53 p.m.

they got Raja Bell...

• LAJazzFan
    July 14, 2010 3:37 p.m.

I would like to see the following happen:

1) let Wes go to Portland;
    2) let D-leaguers go back (Gaines and OJ); and either

3) Pick up Matt Barnes and Rasual Butler (both could be had for $6M-$8M per year)to replace KK and Wes; or
    4)sign and trade Wes to Portland in package with Price for Rudy F. and either J. Przybilla (Doubt Portland would go for this) and sign backup PG; or
    5) same package but Andre Miller instead of JP and pick up backup SF (Barnes or Brewer).

• Captain L
    July 14, 2010 3:21 p.m.

I have said many times I like Barnes, the reason I like Barnes is because of the way he has played the last couple of years, tough, hardnosed D, decent outside shooting, experienced, won't back down, chip on his shoulder.
    Todd: I don't know why he has been on 6 teams , I just know how he has played the last couple of years.
    His attitude may be the reason the Jazz haven't seemed to be interested in him.
    Brown is very athletic and a decent/mediocre shooter, undersized but very long.
    Two players that I have questions as to whether they could help are Pavlovic and Morrison.
    Two years ago or so Pavlovic looked at least decent when he played with Lebron on the Cavs, he has good size and athleticism and can shoot the 3. Don't know how he played last year.
    Morrison was a great shooter/scorer in college and has had injury problems in the pros, I wonder how healthy he is and whether he could be a good 10/11/12 player for the Jazz and maybe resurrect his career.
    Either would have to be signed cheap to be worth it.

• Sokol
    July 14, 2010 2:39 p.m.

I stand by my statement based on the fact he is their first legitimate center with scoring punch and he has incredible numbers....'Big Al' could be the best trade the Jazz ever made....

• govt rocks
    July 14, 2010 2:37 p.m.

Bill M, clearly my history was correct except for the dantley trade, which I also made it clear I wasn't completely sure about who the departed player was. Thanks for correcting it. The bottom line, is that calling Jefferson the best trade the jazz ever made needs to be proven before it can be established.

• BillM75
    July 14, 2010 2:05 p.m.

Let's get our history correct, folks.

9/13/79 The Lakers sent AD to the Jazz for Spencer Haywood.

7/19/76 The Jazz sign aging FA Goodrich. Costs them a first-round pick to LA in compensation; fortunately the Lakers, after winning a coinflip with Chicago, blow the first pick of the 1979 draft on some bum named Johnson.

Hornacek was indeed acquired for Jeff Malone. Philly had previously traded Charles Barkley to Phoenix for Hornacek, and then proceeded to play Jeff out of position at PG leading to a 26-56 record.

Cripesake, NBA people are dumb as stone boats--you can't draft for need over BPA, you can't play guys out of position, you can't ask starters to come off the bench, you can't make panicky trades, signings or coach firings, players win not systems, on & on it goes.

• dwillfan
    July 14, 2010 1:55 p.m.

i'm hoping jefferson can excel with dwill and millsap. he'd better...2 future first round picks, koufos (himself a first round pick) and a traded player exception.

oconner, for the love of everything holy, please don't bring fez back! he's the russian equivalent of ostertag, anyone remember that dummy? heck, koufos looked like jordan next to him.

we do need someone like barnes. he's a bit of a head case, but he'll play his butt off and will give us good d and good perimeter shooting and i think sloan will be able to reach him like no other coach has.

if not him, brewer (as long as he's fully recovered) wouldn't be a bad option. he's a hustler, like dwill and millsap and will get you a steal or two a game as well as hit the boards.

• Big_Ben
    July 14, 2010 1:36 p.m.

Capt L.

Sorry man, I didn't see your original post. I was responding to Jesse. KOC had an interview on 1280 about a year ago where they really grilled him and has since refused to come on the air. 1280 is more unbiased and asks tough questions. He couldn't handle it. For crying out loud, they asked him about the fans frustration and what big men he is looking at.

• B Russ
    July 14, 2010 1:03 p.m.

Hi Capt.,

Heres my list Barnes or Brown. I would like to drop a couple of D Leaguers and add Brewer as well if the price is right.

• Sptfyre51
    July 14, 2010 12:49 p.m.

Yes the Spurs have been another small market team that has done well consistently, but how does that make i never said the Jazz were the only small market team to be consistently good. The Spurs obviously have an excellent Front Office as well to keep it going, plus it doesn't hurt when a Tim Duncan falls into your lap, but they've been able to keep him and put players around him to succeed.
    However the Spurs being good takes nothing away from the Jazz. Small market teams have a much more difficult time staying competitive. Free Agents typically want big market franchises where they can make more money outside of basketball. The Jazz simply cannot be consistently good without a good Front Office

• Sptfyre51
    July 14, 2010 12:42 p.m.

Even if you factor in the big markets the Jazz have still been one of the most consistent. If you look at the past 20 years there's what 3 teams that have been consistently in the playoffs with the Jazz, Spurs, and Lakers. Maybe you could argue the Rockets as well, but they had a bad stretch for a while until they got Yao and McGrady.

• govt rocks
    July 14, 2010 12:19 p.m.

SOKOL,

There are two trades that the organization have made that really helped them turn the corner. The first was acquiring Adrian Dantley from the Lakers, I believe for an aging Gail Goodrich. Turned them into a playoff team and put fans in the seat when they were struggling. The second was Jeff Malone for Hornacek, turned them into the western conference champions when before they were a top 4 team in the west.

Jefferson needs to prove himself on the court in a Jazz uniform before declaring it the best trade the Jazz ever made.

• Sokol
    July 14, 2010 11:31 a.m.

Fans in Minnesota are a little upset with their management: One Wolves fan was irate-
    Did the you know the Wolves just made the Utah Jazz a super powerhouse now!! This is the one position Utah had weakness cause Carlos Boozer was not a big body consistant player like Al Jefferson. Now Darren Williams Utah point guard and the jazz will finaly have a big body to go up against the Lakers big people!! Way to go Timberpuppies!! Now I should just be one of the tens of followers of Linx!!If thats how you spell it."

I love it.

• Sokol
    July 14, 2010 11:14 a.m.

To me this is the best trade deal the Jazz have ever made, hands down. Boozer was poison, this guy is great, 'Big Al' WELCOME

• Kingal
    July 14, 2010 10:35 a.m.

Sounds like a good deal to me and no more Boozer although I will miss Korver.

• blauch
    July 14, 2010 10:17 a.m.

phnehme

When a team is in the Luxury Tax - it makes it very difficult to trade expiring contracts. Because when the other team know you are financially strapped the deals get much worst.

Last year the Jazz wanted to trade Boozer for about 6 million of cap relief and some good young players.

I like Jefferson - I simply think that the Jazz could have waited and still got Jefferson without having to get rid of draft picks or they could have gotten a better player.

• Captain L
    July 14, 2010 9:49 a.m.

My comment that mentioned Kfan , wasn't supposed to start a debate on which channel was better, it was to point out that KOC is always working the phones and they could know that if they would listen to him (on either channel). I don't really like most of the commentators or what ever you want to call them ,on either channel, DLock is obnoxious most of the time, but so is Gordan Monson,
    the guy (ute) on with Jan Jorgensen is always running off at the mouth and doesn't really know his stuff (especially when is comes to basketball).
    When does 1280 have KOC on to ask him questions?

• patriot
    July 14, 2010 9:45 a.m.

For this to work out for the Jazz....

1. Big Al will have to stay healthy.
    2. Okur will have to recover and play in a hurry.. and stay healthy.
    3. The jazz will have to develop a shooting threat from the 3 position somehow either by trade or having Milsap fill that role. I doubt Milsap will be consistant enough. The Jazz need a Jeff Hornasek type player who can really do damage consistantly from 3-point land.

• Cameron
    July 14, 2010 9:43 a.m.

After listening for years, I've come to realize the local sports radio shows are pretty lame. 1280 is doing ok, but not great. 1320 has some knowledgeable people, but attitude and inanity do them in. As soon as I start thinking Locke is ok, he starts stuttering all over himself and I shut it off.

• JK
    July 14, 2010 9:41 a.m.

koufus is gone..thank goodness...now continue the garage sale and ship fez out...tired of these none impact projects.

• patriot
    July 14, 2010 9:31 a.m.

I can't image Okur not being ready for the season opener. A torn tendon doesn't take 8 months of rehab. Even an ACL can be rehabed in 6 months. Not sure what OConner is talking about. If Okur is not going to be able to go then they need to let him go and pick up another center.

• Captain L
    July 14, 2010 9:31 a.m.

Re Big_Ben & Jesse : I wasn't trying to advocate 1320, I actually don't like DLocke much and I disagree with him all the time, but the point was to those who don't thing KOC is doing anything they need to listen to him (on 1280 or 1320) to hear about what he is doing. He spends alot of time on the phone with other GM's, discussing trades of other moves.
    Those criticising do so just to criticise, without the facts.
    What are some of the questions 1280 ask that are different or more informative?
    As far as who the Jazz should go after now, I hope they go for a 3 and move CJ back to the 2, (cj is more suited for the 2). I like Barnes because he can hit the 3 and he plays tough, hard nosed defense with a bit of an attitude.
    I posted a list of 3's last night on DN, those who can, post a list of those you would like to see the Jazz go after.

• Portland Trail Blazers
    July 14, 2010 9:19 a.m.

I'm sorry but what defines a small market?

I know Portland, OKC, Utah, are all small markets but i've also heard that Minnesota, Charlotte, Orlando, Indiana are as well...

• Confused
    July 14, 2010 9:06 a.m.

Big Ben,
    the only person I can stand on KFAN is David James, at least he tries to be nuteral and gives some stats to back him up. Now if we could get rid of PK I would tune in the morning to hear DJ.....

Otherwise, like you I turn th station to oldies...

• Big_Ben
    July 14, 2010 8:50 a.m.

@ Jesse

indeed. It was really funny actually. Up until monday night, Al Jefferson wasnt really talked about. When someone would occasionally bring up the possibility of the jazz getting him, Locke and the other KFAN guys would shoot it down, saying it won't happen and it wouldn't be a good fit.

Well, yesterday, Locke (who had been particularly against it) was talking about how great it was and how he would fit in. I had to turn the channel.

Can anyone tell me why they like KFAN? If so, have you ever given 1280 a try?

• Dustin
    July 14, 2010 8:28 a.m.

When Memo is back and healthy, AJ, Memo, and Milsap will have a great roatation going on. With AJ being able to play 4 and 5, this will ensure that Memo and Milsap get the minutes they deserve. It will also hopefully solve the problems we have with having a bigger, physical guy down low to scare people out of the lane.

Did anyone see how he fared against the Lakers last year?

• LCL
    July 14, 2010 8:05 a.m.

Are you kidding me? If Raja Bell is available, we should JUMP at the chance, if he is willing! Bell was great when he was here before, and left to go to his beloved Phoenix. Since they dealt him elsewhere, maybe he'd be willing to come back here. He was a really good defender, and a not bad shooter. Seems like that is what we are needing right now.

• THEeyepatch
    July 14, 2010 5:52 a.m.

Great.. he has two things on Boozer, age and price, but the price is suspect. And who can forget the great season the Timberwolves had last year.... 15 wins.

I believe Coach Sloan has something to work with, but will Al meld? With Deron, he can become a force.

• Jesse
    July 14, 2010 12:38 a.m.

No thanks on 1320. I like when they interview him on 1280 because they actually ask him q's that we want to know. 1320 basically just gives you the company line. The arrogance of 1320 is usually too much to handle.

• Captain L
    July 14, 2010 12:18 a.m.

Todd, the Spurs are the exception not the rule, they lucked out when they got Duncan because Robinson was hurt.
    Give KOC credit when credit is due and be positive and optimistic.

• toddfromsantaana
    July 14, 2010 12:00 a.m.

sptyfire 51

I guess the Spurs are huge market?

here we go again,

• Captain L
    July 13, 2010 11:49 p.m.

Re Sptfyre51 : I agree , good post,
    If all the naysayers would listen to 1320 kfan, they would here KOC weekly and know that the FO is always on the phones working on possible deals. It is hard to make things happen the way you want but KOC does a pretty good job.
    Keep up the good work, KOC.

• jcrotty25
    July 13, 2010 11:42 p.m.

Good move koc now you must prove it wasnt just luck .. and finish the job...

Let Mathews go
    Add Al Harrington instead

Trade AK47 to warriors
    get M. Ellis and A Beidrens

Sign some bargin's Roger Mason or Rasul Butler, and Adam Morrison either combo would be very cheap ... this would morph us into a very scary team ...

pg/dwill,ellis,price/gains
    sg/mason or butler/ellis/hayward
    sf/cj,harrington,hayward/morrison
    pf/jefferson,milsapp,harrington
    c/beidrins,okur,jefferson,fesenko

this team would strike fear in the lakers and the rest of the nba for that matter we would have shooters, shotblocking, speed, low post scoring, penatrating guards , rebounding,mismatches .... this team could hang with anyone... what do ya'll think.....

• Sptfyre51
    July 13, 2010 11:26 p.m.

For an organization that is supposedly worthless and doesn't know what they are doing as so many people have commented on they sure have been able to stay competitive for a long time. Teams with bad front offices lose, period.

If they KOC and the front office sucked, so would the Jazz it's that simple. The Hayward pick has been criticized all over the place, but now looks like a stroke of genius with the addition of Jefferson and the losses of Korver and soon to be Mathews.

The FO obviously knows what they are doing to continually remain competitive despite being in a small market. Small market teams are not suppose to be competitive for long stretches at a time, they just don't have the resources to compete with the big market teams, yet the Jazz have remained relevant for decades because of a very good Front Office that has made good basketball decisions.

• IDJazz12
    July 13, 2010 10:41 p.m.

So we have Okur at center who else do the Jazz have. They just gave away Kosta and Fes in not sighed. If AJ takes the PF position he is not going to rotate with Okur. Boozer never did as well as why would you want him to anyway. Jazz need a backup center or starting center depending on on Okur. Yeah every player always thinks they are way ahead of schedule then when it actually time to get going the cannot. Dwill, CJ, Korver can all attest to that they all came back early and ended up not coming back for another month or so.

• Captain L
    July 13, 2010 10:38 p.m.

Sounds like Okur is progressing well and could be ready by Nov. but he will need to get minutes at a slower or lower rate than he might like, so Fes should be able to get some minutes even with the acquisition of AJ. If Fes can improve and demand minutes because of the way he plays, AK could play alot of 3 , CJ at the 2 and Hayward at 3&2. If Brewer could shoot I would love to have him back, but I don't think he has all of a sudden developed a good shot, so let's hope they don't resign him. Signing Brewer would probably take alot of minutes from Hayward and that would be a bummer.
    There aren't alot of 2's or 3's that you can get excited about pursuing, Micheal Finley, Larry Hughes, Joey Graham, Devin George,Rasual Butler, Adam Morrison, Sasha Pavlovic, Damien Wilkens,Jarvis Hayes, Bobby Simmons, Tracy McGrady, Al Harrington (probably to expensive), Matt Barnes, Ime Udoka, Antoine Wright.
    We need outside shooting and I would prefer a 3 over a 2, look at those names and tell me who you like.

• Jazzsmack
    July 13, 2010 10:34 p.m.

The jazz will now probably sign mason and matthews and fez,

thought finding a way to get harrington and miller would not be a bad thing.

ONe good thing about his trade they FINALLY brought in a first round drafted talent,

how much junk and second rounders do the jazz need?

• JMT
    July 13, 2010 10:28 p.m.

If this young man is not into playing defense, I don't think he is going to do well with Jerry Sloan.

Just guessing.

• Doug10
    July 13, 2010 10:24 p.m.

Sorry Koufos it would have been wonderful to see if you ever turned out. Where you are going you are doomed to bench time. Lots of centers on the Wolves already.

When Bugoff is talking about a mouthy sieve is he referring to himself?

Al HArrington tweeted today he would like to play with DWill and historically he has hit 35% of his threes. If he wants to play here he would make a great addition for a Korver replacement.

Why would the Jazz consider Brewer? Maybe because they can have him for next to nothing, even rehabbing he is a great athlete and better than Otherus. He can back up half the players on the floor and would still be considered dangerous around the basket.

Plus Jefferson is not swift of foot and is slow getting back on defense, he doesn't play where Ronnie can hustle back and defend til the bigs show up. He may be a bargain even though his shot will be suspect forever.

KOC needs to be congratulated for getting the JAzz a player and somebody who will fit the style of game the JAzz play.

You rock KOC!!!!

• Rick
    July 13, 2010 10:06 p.m.

Next in line, if not signing WES, Barnes is a MUST !!! Wes would never give you the nasty player that Barnes is; either you have "it" or you don't..WES is a great defender & Barnes is good, but I love the way Barnes plays with a nasty edge..Barnes will get in kobes grill or any other 2 guard or small forward...WES is a nice kid who I think will never get nasty ? With the extra money saved from not signing WES, Harrington would spread the floor with his deep 3's !!! If these 2 guys are brought to Utah & Hayward & FES perform well, the JAZZ will be back in the hunt.......

• Fuzzbrain
    July 13, 2010 9:56 p.m.

The Jazz were never going to get better with Kosta Koufos or Fesenko in my opinion. Kosta's only chance to win playing time in the NBA was to play hard on defense--but he fizzled. Fesenko is like a dog chasing his tail & he can't focus long enough to get a rebound or block a shot. The Jazz went out & got a tough player who should improve in this system. Frankly I'm dazzled because they used their trade exception quickly & got a player that other teams aren't going to be happy seeing in a Jazz uniform. I think the Jazz were startled by the asking price from Matthews & his agent; so they told him to go look elsewhere. I was hoping he'd still be on the team this year but now the Jazz might have to look elsewhere.

• shaybo
    July 13, 2010 9:53 p.m.

Guess what orak there was one guy on the Jazz team who consistently payed attention to blocking out his man and that was KFez

• Captain L
    July 13, 2010 9:39 p.m.

I think the Jazz need to find a 3 , not a 2, CJ is better suited to play the 2 and Hayward can play the 2 also. Barnes or Udoka would be good pickups, cheap but experienced.

• Kakashi
    July 13, 2010 9:15 p.m.

its hard for me to base a player comparison by just stats...i mean...you should look at the intangibles of the game...setting hard solid screens...switching correctly on defense...boxing out...moving without the ball...those are important skills that can't be found on a stat sheet...plus this is a new environment for Al Jefferson...a New system...new teammates...when all of you asked for a boozer replacement...here...they brought in Al Jefferson...and some of you guys are knocking him off already...let him play then decide...honestly...i was pulling for Anthony Tolliver...i like unknown guys getting a chance to prove themselves...would've tried to swing a three team deal...and grab Spencer Hawes and Brandon Rush...both are pretty cheap...and would definitely want to prove themselves that they are better...or swing for Emeka Okafur...now with the trade of 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick + Kosta Koufos...so we are left with one more big man on the bench...which is Fes...but im looking forward seeing Ante Tomic play...i sure hope he is as good as they say...

• weaksauce
    July 13, 2010 9:14 p.m.

i'm just glad to see the jazz brass finally make a move!!! we just gave up koufos and 2 1st rounders (and the jazz can't draft well in the first round anyway, unless it's in the top 3 picks (d-will).

now we just need to need to get barnes and then maybe mason and we'll be good.

• toddfromsantaana
    July 13, 2010 9:10 p.m.

Look at the picture of Al

I have poor eyesight yet "he is clearly taller than Snoozie"

Fans: I am happy with Jefferson but why would you guys want "same ol and bring back Brew"

Answer: It makes 'Jer and his sloanaholics comfy and feeling euphoria"

Matt Barnes is a nice slasher, former defensive stopper at UCLA

But no one asks or answers?

WHY HAS HE BEEN WITH 6 TEAMS

What is the fans love affair with Shannon Brown?

Dearest fans the man shot 42 percent last year and 32 on 3s

How is that good?

• Bill L
    July 13, 2010 9:05 p.m.

AJ is Better than Boozer if he just returns to pre-injury form. AJ has more guts than Boozer. AJ is taller and has more length. AJ is younger and before the injury was improving each year. The Jazz are MUCH better off with AJ than Boozer. If Tomic is as advertised the Jazz, next year, may actually have 3 championship caliber players on the roster.It may take a year or 2, but the trio of DW,AJ,Tomic have a good chance to really compete for a title. Now if you really want KK, Booz, Korver even Mathews buy NBA season ticket.

• Samwise
    July 13, 2010 9:00 p.m.

Welcome, Big Al! And good riddance, Kofous!

• msbball2002
    July 13, 2010 8:59 p.m.

Louisiana:

Boozer 5 year $76 Million; AJ 3 years $42 Million. throw in KK's 1.3 Million for this season alone.

Not seeing your fuzzy math.

• Utah Valley Guy
    July 13, 2010 8:46 p.m.

Happy to see this trade go down. Jefferson should thrive in Utah's system, and might even get motivated to play more D, since playing D is as much a matter of motivation as it is of talent.

Sloan and the Utah system have a way of bringing out the best in many players, as evidenced by the fact that numerous players leave Utah and never amount to much thereafter. As good as Mathews is, I'm hoping we let Portland have him. It's pretty clear by now that Portland's offers to players the Jazz develop are as much about forcing Utah to pay more for players Utah likes than it is getting players Portland needs.

So let Portland have Mathews as an expensive role player, and use one of our remaining exceptions to get an even better defensive shooting guard. Or let CJ continue to develop while looking forward to trading AK or his expiring contract for a great shooter at the 2 to complement DWill.

• Jazz Cop
    July 13, 2010 8:36 p.m.

Jefferson and Okur would compliment eachother well once okur comes back.

• Captain L
    July 13, 2010 8:28 p.m.

I think Jazz management were planning on Booz being gone and were planning on moving in another direction. We all have talked about Booz not being tall enough or long enough to play against the Lakers etc. I don't know that AJ is much different but the Management must think he produces enough difference to give up several assets to get him. He is younger, longer and has a different game, so maybe it will work, we'll have to wait and see.

• orak
    July 13, 2010 8:27 p.m.

It is not mathematical science to evaluate where the Jazz need to go for 2011. They need to work on their defense as a team. I saw all the team make fundamental defensive errors last year, that had they been more effective, they could have gone to the finals. A shot goes up and they all turn and look at the hoop instead of blocking out the player they are defending. Defense 101.

• shaybo
    July 13, 2010 8:13 p.m.

H20ski, I'll believe it when I see it. Ok on Barnes we need a shooter but no money or room for any more guards.

Koufas defense in summer league is the reason he's gone, he made McRobertson look like and all star.

• areyouinthere
    July 13, 2010 7:51 p.m.

bugoff, the more you post, the more my high esteem of your statistical prowess dwindles.

• louisiana jazz man
    July 13, 2010 7:47 p.m.

boz said he gave utah a chance to match the bulls offer of 15 mil a year dont know if al is any better i am sure he is not 2 first round picks and kufus better. and only saved 1 mil. so they sold two first round picks and kufus for 1 million sweeeeet.

• H2OSKI
    July 13, 2010 7:45 p.m.

re: Shaybo

Where is Okur gone?

Did you not read Okurs comments earlier this week? Okur plans to be back for the start of the season--he says pain is gone and rehab is going well and is on schedule.

Okur will be getting his regular minutes by November probably.

KKoufus has a vertical leap of about 1.2 inches on a good day. Never have I seen such a big man get blocked as much as he does.

Its just bizarre.

The summer league showed that even with mostly marginal NBA talent he still is marginal himself.

Get Brewer as a backup and sign MATT BARNES!!

Kobe hates Matt Barnes because he is a big-time irritant when he defends him. Is there any other prerequisites?

Thats all I need to know to determine we need Matt Barnes. He has attitude and he is scrappy...we need both.

• Captain L
    July 13, 2010 7:39 p.m.

I'll be anxious to see how AJ plays in Sloans system and with DWill.
    Hayward will be fun to watch develop and I think Fes will develop and improve this year also.
    We do need to pick up some more perimeter shooters though and for that reason I hope we don't sign Brewer.
    I like Brewer but he's not what we need.

• Old Timer
    July 13, 2010 7:30 p.m.

In place of Mathews whom I loved watching play(the right way),at least try for Shannon Brown, Barnes, Harrington, maybe Morrison for cheap. I too liked Korver for the 3 point threat he was but quite frankly our coach didn't like him as much as some of us, because he really played minimal minutes. But thats over and O.K. now just move forward for 1 or 2 more contributors and I think we are alot better than last year. Step up C.J., Hayward, Price and Fess we need it from you.

• Mark from Montana
    July 13, 2010 7:29 p.m.

I wish they would have kept KK. I think he will be a decent player in a year two.

Raja Bell is still available. Why not go after him and let Matthews go?

• shaybo
    July 13, 2010 7:26 p.m.

Sorry true fan but they freed up the 2 million to sign Fez who will become a difference maker with the playing time he will get with Ocur gone.

• JazzFanSD
    July 13, 2010 7:13 p.m.

If you get a chance take a look at fanhouse . com and read the article about the AJ acquisition. This is a good deal all the way around.

What the Jazz needed more than anything was to get bigger. In the Jazz system, with DWill there seems to be little doubt that AJ will replace the offensive production of Boozer. Younger, taller and cheaper. (3 years vs 5 or 6) Also anyone who is worried about losing a few picks in the 20's go back and look at all the previous drafts. Historically very few make it. There are exceptions of course but the number is low.

Looking forward to next year (2011-2012), making the assumption we can bring over Tomic, and he is as skilled as we all hope he is, the team on the floor would potentially be pretty big and athletic. DWill, CJ, Hayward, AJ and Tomic. Obviously I am making assumptions here that all these guys will be ready for big time minutes but it does give us hope.

I for one love the deal, the Jazz addressed the biggest issue of last years team...size.

• JazzMan
    July 13, 2010 7:11 p.m.

Great trade for the Jazz. Koufos being gone is also a plus. Don't keep Matthews or sign Brewer and it'll be even better.

• TrueFan
    July 13, 2010 7:02 p.m.

i bet the Jazz included Kosta to free up a couple extra million to resign Matthews.

I'm sure of it.

• stonewall
    July 13, 2010 6:59 p.m.

People who complain that all this does is put us back in a similar position to last year- you're right, but that's not a bad thing. Without this acquisition we're a LOT worse than last year, letting some of our best players go for nothing in return. The thing about the team last year is that we were one or two good players away from title contention. No, we were never going to win it all with the same core of players we've had the past half decade, but that core of players was still a high caliber playoff time. It's like the Lakers before adding Gasol. Without Jefferson, we're 3 or 4 players away from a title. Adding him puts us back to being 1 or 2 short. So for people whose tunnel vision dictates that every transaction must make the Jazz a championship caliber-team, nothing would have satisfied you. But this move makes us a playoff team again next year and capable of upgrading to a contender the next year when Kirilenko's salary comes off the books and we can try to add that final piece or two

• negman
    July 13, 2010 6:59 p.m.

ECHO, Echo, echo ...

• BYU still rules
    July 13, 2010 6:57 p.m.

I hope for Matthew's sake he doesn't turn out like Shandon Anderson and many others.....looks great filling his role with the Jazz who seem to get the most out of their players and then busting when they go elsewhere. He had moved up to my second favorite player on the team, but if Portland wants to act crazy, let them reap what they sow.

• Captain L
    July 13, 2010 6:56 p.m.

After the summer league performance by KK it is obvious that the Jazz don't think he was going to be anything too special or they would have kept him & included someone else. Hopefully this means they like Tomic and plan on keeping him and bringing him over to add to the teams strength. Minn. liked Tomic and was rumored to want him in this trade.

• phnehme
    July 13, 2010 6:55 p.m.

Great move! And for those that think the Jazz gave up there flexiblity of making a move at the trade deadline (blauch), you are forgetting AK's expiring contract...if he is contributing, we won't need to make a move...if he isn't we will have no trouble moving him to a team that wants to dump salary....

• Red Barchetta
    July 13, 2010 6:42 p.m.

Welcome to Utah Al Jefferson! Bye Bye Koufos!

Thank you Millers and K.O.C.

Go Jazz!! You gotta love it baby!

• Red Barchetta
    July 13, 2010 6:41 p.m.

WELCOME TO UTAH AL JEFFERSON.

so long Koufos!

Thank you Millers and K.O.C.!

Go Jazz!! You gotta love it baby!

• Red Barchetta
    July 13, 2010 6:40 p.m.

WELCOME TO UTAH AL JEFFERSON. SO LONG KOUFOS!

THANK YOU MILLERS AND K.O.C.!

GO JAZZ!!

YOU GOTTA LOVE IT BABY!!!

• Bugoff
    July 13, 2010 6:39 p.m.

I agree with CJ the strenght of the Jefferson trade is that it fixes some of the redunancy between Boozer and Millsap. Jefferson should be a more effective C and Millsap should start at PF. He should turn in numbers similar to Boozer's and Jefferson is a vast improvement over Okur/Fes/KK.

AK should be just as good of back up at PF as Millsap was. Who replaces AK is the big question? Hayward might? Then who replaces Korvers outside shooting?

CJ can replace Mathews and that might improve his shooting percentages. He is better suited to the SG. Some one has to replace CJ/Korver and someone has to back up CJ.

Barnes is a logical choice. Raja Bell would be great at SG. I do not know who the Jazz have in mind but they can get 2 decent players for the price of Mathews.

I like Mathews but I want the Jazz to stick POR.

Get one great outside shooter. Then the Jazz can get by until the trade deadline and add at the fire sales.

• jazzbball
    July 13, 2010 6:32 p.m.

Bye Bye Kosta Koufus! The #boom is gone.

• shaybo
    July 13, 2010 6:19 p.m.

I like the idea of trying to get Portland to give up Rudy F. for agreeing to not match. Portland is desperate to get rid of him.

• CJ Miles
    July 13, 2010 6:10 p.m.

If the Jazz could sign Barnes or Brown, they could compete with the Lakers next year if AK steps up his game and stops being a baby.

Memo is the weak link going into next year. By adding AJ, this allows Millsap and AJ to play more minutes together than Boozer and Millsap.

• Bugoff
    July 13, 2010 5:50 p.m.

@ Average guy Go look up Jefferson and Boozer's shooting efficienies for various types of shots in 82 games. Boozer is the more efficient shooter. AJ could be just as good with a good PG.

CJ you are right about getting more shooting but the idea is to get better. It is not to just maintain.

Blauch is right on the fire sales. He is also right on the fact that the Jazz basically gave up 3 draft picks to replicate Boozer and the Luxury tax problems. So far they are not moving forward. They may eventually after they do something with AK and Okur's salaries.

Big AL should be better at C than Boozer until the Jazz can get a great C. By then AL may be playing defense and shooting efficiently.

Compared to last year, the Jazz are a little weaker right now with poorer D and outside shooting but with the same salary problems.

They are fully capable of getting the shooting but will they now they are paying tax?

I can't say the Jazz are better. They are not.

They have back court work to do. The FO is not great.

• TRUTH
    July 13, 2010 5:42 p.m.

Time to update this story DNEWS...its pretty much official givenevery other papaer in the country is calling it a done deal....

• Bugoff
    July 13, 2010 5:33 p.m.

Confused, you emphasized the point that I was making. Jefferson is actually worse on defense in all of the defensive categories and metrics I looked at except blocks.

Does that help you get unconfused? You just paid lux tax (by the time the rest are signed) for Boozer 2 (unless he decides to play defense).

@Todd You are so right. I like Wes but he is not worth 14 mill (lux tax cost). The Jazz have to have more outside shooting to give Jefferson room inside.

@AtlHawkFan The late first round picks are worth 3 Mill cash each and the second round is worth 1 Mill.

@brluthi I think signing Jefferson sells tickets and fills a need at C about as well as they can this year. I think they will move him to PF (if he works out) and add a C or wait for Fes/Koufos to develop in the long run. They might trade Millsap when he expires. They have a longer run plan they are following and Jefferson is expensive but good enough to keep the seats full.

@Mulrich Sloan's defensive evaluation system may convince Big AL to play better defense.

• leroi
    July 13, 2010 4:57 p.m.

I grow tired of people complaining that the Jazz could have signed Boozer. No, they couldn't. If they could, they would have, but Boozer has a choice. Some of you guys seem to blame Jazz management for not getting Boozer back. Why don't you blame Boozer?

• Michael B
    July 13, 2010 4:55 p.m.

As for the people complaining that Utah gave up too much for Jefferson.. I have to disagree. If anything they got him way too easy.

Only 2 first round draft picks which would have been higher picks anyways and the possible draft pick from Memphis is protected. So who knows next years draft could net the Jazz 2 mid first round picks that will already pay for Jefferson.

I'm one of those people that definetely thinks that Kevin O Connor knows what he's doing and that there are far worse GM's in this league.

I think everyone bashing KOC needs to look at every other team in the NBA that aren't the spurs or have nearly unlimited resources and see how their front offices compare to ours. Heck the Jazz are competitive every year even against the wealthiest teams in the league. Not bad for a small market team..

• Michael B
    July 13, 2010 4:47 p.m.

I love and at the same time am scared of this trade. If big Al can stay healthy I think he's going to be much bigger and better contributor to Utah than Boozer. In my opinion Al is a much better consistant scorer which is something the Jazz have been lacking.

When comparing the non defense of Boozer and Al Jefferson - I'd much rather have Al clogging up the lanes. I'm so freaking glad to see Korver and Boozer go, they'd always get beat to the basket and just stand there while their opponents scored easy layups.

From what I've seen Jefferson plays closer to the basket and tries to block shots - a big presence in the paint capable of blocking shots is something Utah hasn't had in a while and hopefully he won't look as dumb as Korver and Booz on defense.

Now that we have a legitimate big man time to look at getting Barnes or maybe Shannon Brown? Hopefully not Brewer.. I loved him when he was here but I think his injury will probably diminish his athletisism which is what made him good.

• CJ Miles
    July 13, 2010 4:39 p.m.

Love the new team. Just need one more 2 and this team won't loose a step.

CJ will be better. AK will be better. Dwill will be healthier.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz
    July 13, 2010 4:00 p.m.

ESPN has been reporting its a done deal for 2 first round draft picks for a few hours now. I wonder how long it will take the Dnews to get the story....

I'm very excited and I think he should spend most of his time at center with Millsap and Kirilenko at the PF. We can afford to let Okur take his time coming back and not make him play too many minutes like last year.

If they can use the mid level exception wisely we should be able to get a good shooting guard as well.

Nice job Jazz management. I can't wait to see how Jerry Sloan does with AJ. It's been a long time since the Jazz made a move like this and it should be an exciting new season with a different look.

• Dr. Dunkenstein
    July 13, 2010 3:33 p.m.

Big_Ben, thanks for the info on my WP48 . . . now I can demand more money!!!

Seriously though, maybe the Jazz can up the ante on Dallas and get NY to a sign-and-trade with Al Harrington for the Harpring TPE (~$6.5 million) & maybe Koufos. Then, if they can use part of their MLE or the Brewer TPE (~$2.7 million) to get Matt Barnes, I think they would be pretty much set.

I think this lineup could wreak some serious havoc in the West:

PG - Williams / Price / Gaines?

SG - Miles / Barnes / Jeffers?

SF - Kirilenko / Hayward / J. Evans?

PF - Millsap / Jefferson / Kirilenko / Okur

C - Jefferson / Okur / Koufos? / Fesenko?

• blauch
    July 13, 2010 3:15 p.m.

Do not like this move.

So many better things to do if the Jazz were just patiently waited. And do not resign Matthews at that money. You are going to see some CRAZY FIRE SALES on teams at the trade dead line. Teams are going to loose money and they are not winning. They will do almost anything to get out of contract before the new CBA.

Current player teams are trying to trade for cap space - Jefferson (Utah), Calderon, Okafur, Chandler (Dallas), Hamilton, Brand, Arenas, Ellis, and Curry.

Multiple of the following teams are going to dump major players this trade deadline for nothing

Milwaukee
    Detroit
    Philadelphia
    Cleveland
    Charlotte
    New Orleans
    Denver
    Indiana

You might be able to Add some of the following
    Bogut, Maggette, Gordon, Charlie V, Prince,
    Iguodala, Jameson, Mo Williams, Varejao, Wallace, Diaw, Jackson, West

No worries. The Jazz let Harpring, Brewer and Maynor go for a 1st round draft pick to get much closer to the luxury tax, and then they trade the 1st round draft pick to along with one other to go right back in the Luxury Tax.

• Aggie84
    July 13, 2010 3:13 p.m.

Give up all concerns for draft choices. The Jazz are terrible at this game. Use the trade system, you will get people in here that you KNOW can work in the system.
    On a lighter note, I think the nickname for Millsap should be the MILLMAN. That would work well for a jazz power forward

• Suade
    July 13, 2010 3:03 p.m.

hahahaha you hear that BugOff? You're WP48 is horrible! Big_Ben is right, you'll never be championship caliber.

• average guy
    July 13, 2010 3:02 p.m.

David Lock reports that the 3 NBA scouts he talked to all think that AJ is a better defender than Boozer.

In 50 games of the ACL injury year, AJ ranked #10 in the NBA in efficiency according to Hollinger (ahead of Pau, Bosh, Yao, Granger, Amare, & Carmelo). He was #11 the year before that (ahead of Dwight, Yao, Carlos, Pau, & Carmelo).

Boozer has played ~16,700 minutes. AJ, ~11,700 - about 2 full seasons fewer minutes (even though AJ was drafted straight from high school).

(Not to quibble, but I would argue that scoring efficiency, point differential, and match ups win championships. Teams that score more tend to give up more points because they play fast and give the other team more possessions. The key is to make the most of your offensive possessions while also giving up the fewest points possible. The NBA champs over the last 30 years are about evenly split between "good defensive" teams and "good offensive teams." Generally, the champs are good in both categories.)

• Jack Ryan
    July 13, 2010 2:58 p.m.

So, with the Jazz now $1M+ in luxury tax territory, I can only realistically see them pulling in one more free agent ... Brewer, Barnes, Mason, Brown seem to be the viable options. I don't think we've got a legit shot at Raja Bell.

We need a SG that can shoot, and an SG that can defend. None of the available options seem to do both (e.g., Mason's a good shooter, but not known for defense, Brewer & Barnes are pesky defenders but not consistent shooters).

To me, Brown seems like the best choice here. He's not the best shooter OR the best defender, but is decent at both, and brings a lot of athleticism.

I really like Ronnie & am sure D-Will would be happy to see him come back, but he won't extend the floor at all. Barnes might be a good fall back, though I'm not sure how well he'd fit under Sloan's system.

• oldone
    July 13, 2010 2:54 p.m.

Also -
    It is interesting to get on to other teams main newspaper sites and read the comments. Mavericks, trailblazers, timberwolves and you could insert the Jazz for their team in most comments and they would be identical. Everyone thinks their team is being left behind, their front office is doing nothing or the wrong thing and that most of their players are overpaid and can't play defense.

I guess the grass is greener on the other side.

• SportzFan
    July 13, 2010 2:52 p.m.

OK, let's start right from the top: Would you trade Carlos Boozer for Al Jefferson?
    You'd at least have to think about it. Jefferson is three years younger and had better numbers over the past three seasons. He can play center, which Boozer cannot, which allows the Jazz to paper over Mehmet Okur's expected absence and move Andrei Kirilenko up to power forward in stretches, where he's more effective anyway

Hollinger, ESPN

• oldone
    July 13, 2010 2:51 p.m.

Boozer was not a team player. I don't think the team as a whole liked or trusted him. They are saying the right things but I bet they are all glad he is gone even though he is taking his 20/10 with him.

Get on one of the Minnesota papers and read comments from timberwolves fans. The majority wish Al well and are sorry to see him go even though they know his weaknesses.

Boozer is the opposite - we know his strengths and y et we are not sorry to see him go. At least I'm not. Playing and meshing as a team is more important than 20/10.

Al has played 4 or 5 years on crappy teams. Now he gets to play on a good team with a solid coaching staff and a great PG. I'm betting he is excited about that and his game will be elevated. We'll see.

• Large Tuna
    July 13, 2010 2:47 p.m.

I disagree; the jazz are NOT giving up draft picks they need. We've seen their history of mid-late round draft picks. Of them over the past few years the only one remaining on the team is Koufos and he's on his 3rd strike.

Kind of poetic justice really. We went right around AJ in the draft picking 2 busts, and now we're trading back 2 first round picks to get him. Funny how that worked out.

• DocSarvis
    July 13, 2010 2:40 p.m.

Giving away 2 first round draft choices won't hurt the Jazz at all. They don't know how to draft anyway. And, by getting one of the Jeffersons, the Jazz are definitely movin' on up.

• RepresentBlue
    July 13, 2010 2:36 p.m.

So the Jazz gave up a second round pick to sign-and-trade Boozer to the Bulls, and now they are giving up TWO FIRST ROUND picks to get Jefferson from the T-Wolves to replace Boozer?! Add to that the fact that Jefferson is a worse defender than Boozer (if that is possible) and he is a BIG gamble because he is recovering from a torn ACL and you have what is shaping up to be possibly the worst trade in Jazz history. Then again, it's not like KOC could see all this coming.

(That was sarcasm in case you missed it.)

• Riot Man
    July 13, 2010 2:25 p.m.

I know everybody rips on the guy for his defense, and admittedly, I don't know much about him. That said, lets give him some time with Sloan to see if HE can work anything with the guy to change his mindset. We know what we had with Loozer in the fold, and that was getting us nowhere for the past several years. Now we can see if this guy can pan out. We know what he will be able to do offensively, but give him some time to adjust to the system, and more importantly, the other players and coaches, and see how he reacts to playing defense. Loozer just didn't care about it. Hopefully this guy is different. If not, we can send him out in a year or two. If so, this is an absolute STEAL. It's not like our draft picks ever amount to much anyways. The only good ones we ever get are from other teams.

• spillbee
    July 13, 2010 2:14 p.m.

If he can stay healthy, I see AJ's career taking off much like Jermaine O'neil's did when he left Portland to go to Indiana. In fact, with D-will feeding him the ball, I see AJ being better than Boozer numbers wise. Add in Tomic in 2 years and keep the core of this team togther and we will be really tough.

• Big_Ben
    July 13, 2010 2:14 p.m.

Well, see the real issue at hand here is that BugOff only has a WP48 of .0000001. Thats not very good. In fact, only Chris B, hedgehog, Fiddler, and toddfromsantaanna have lower scores. I dont think its worth it to keep Bugoff, I think he should be traded to the Ogden paper for........nothing. Meanwhile, we have guys with high WP48s on this board already like Dr. Dunkenstein (.35, JFFR (.34), Big_Ben (.30), and Buster (.28) Plus, all the ute fans have WP48s of more than .2, so I think we are good. Sorry bugoff, but you're out. Off to Ogden you go. If they don't take you, I hear SUU has a nice little paper.

• mulrich
    July 13, 2010 2:13 p.m.

Bugoff -
    Actually, looking at their draft combine measurements Jefferson was an inch taller than Boozer and had a 2in reach advantage. If anything the advantage Jefferson has in height and reach has increased since Jefferson was 18 (and still growing) and Boozer was 21 (and finished growing).
    Neither player can stay in front of a defender, but at least Jefferson will be harder to shoot over. Boozer was abysmal at blocking shots. I threw a party every time it happened.

• 1tobeamup
    July 13, 2010 2:03 p.m.

I don't think the draft picks will be missed all that much - after AK's salary comes off next year and the CBA is finalized. The Jazz can be players in the FA market next year and wait on the draft for the year after.

• huggyface
    July 13, 2010 2:01 p.m.

Now, replacing Mathews is the challenge. He played well for a rookie. He hit outside shots, drove to the basked and played tough defense. But, he has not proven himself worthy of a 7 million dollar contract.

We could bring back Raja Bell, who is considering going to play with Kobe and the Lakers. If they sign him, Shannon Brown will be available. He's a good shooter, good slasher/finisher and can play some D.

I don't like the idea of bringing Brewer back. He suceeded because the middle was not clogged up because Memo was outside shooting 3's. With AJ, we need someone to make outside shots and Brewer is not that guy.

IF we could get Barnes, that would be awesome.

• brluthi
    July 13, 2010 1:56 p.m.

RE: Bugoff

I just thought of this. Do you think part of the reason for this trade is to keep D-Will on board? It seems to me that if they didn't do something to get a big man, D-Will would become more and more frustrated. Waiting for those draft picks may not be the best idea with Williams player option coming up in two years.

Just a thought

• shawnfaux@gmail.com
    July 13, 2010 1:55 p.m.

You have to say good bye to wes! and go get Barnes he will be alot cheaper....

• AltaHawkFan
    July 13, 2010 1:40 p.m.

Re: Bugoff

If, as you said, the Jazz are not decent at drafting, then why are you worried about 2 low draft picks ? He will be a better defensive player than Boozer.

• klepsydra
    July 13, 2010 1:38 p.m.

The actual cost of acquiring Al was 3 picks, 2 first rounders, and a 2nd rounder to get the trade exception from Chicago. The first round picks were going to be late first round so this is still an overall good deal. The big outstanding need is the 2 guard. My gut is telling me that the Jazz are going to resign Mathews too. Brewer just doesn't provide the shooting we are going to need to clear the post for Milsap and Al. Final Lineup.

1 DWill, Price, Gaines
    2 Mathews, CJ, Hayward
    3 AK, CJ, Hayward, Milsap
    4 Milsap, AJ, AK, Okur
    5 AJ, Okur, Fez, Koufus

• Bill L
    July 13, 2010 1:37 p.m.

If there was a 6'7" height limit in the NBA, then maybe Boozer is a good 4. AJ and Tomic will yield a front of 6'10" and 7'2". AJ was averaging 23 and 11 before his injury and there is no reason to believe he had hit his limit. The minimum I expect is that within a year he will revert to his pre-injury form. He could improve with more experience, he could improve with DW feeding him and drawing attention. AJ could be a 25 and 12 guy in a year and be the 2nd highest potential on the front line. Tomic is what, 23 and already getting raves and being compared to Gasol. Bravo for Jazz mgmt and putting together a front that has the potential with DW to actually compete for a title. If you miss Booz....try WGN...LOL!! Midget ball is ending and REAL hope to compete is starting.

• AltaHawkFan
    July 13, 2010 1:35 p.m.

Re: macnamara

How would the Jazz have been 'money and talent ahead' by resigning Boozer ? The Jazz would have had to pay Boozer more money ($15 mil/yr vs $13 mil/yr) for a longer contract (5-6 yrs vs 3 yrs) and for an older, smaller player. You're not thinking very clearly obviously.

• An Asian Perspective
    July 13, 2010 1:35 p.m.

Come on! KOC!

They are not any other teams. They are the Minnesota Timberwolves, who's known across the league for pulling off dream trades for their partners!

Dallas wanted to send non-guaranteed contract of Dampier and 8 million in Carrol and DeShawn.

You can do better than sending 2 first-round picks to get AJ! Send AK47 and get AJ and Corey Brewer or Ramon Sessions. Nobody would ever even think of doing a trade like this, but Minnesota may do.

That's how bad their front office has been. They just gave Darko a 4-year 20 million contract when nobody else wanted him. Everything is possible with Minnesota. Keep trying to rip them off!

• toddfromsantaana
    July 13, 2010 1:35 p.m.

Bugoff, we still need another shooting guard and it is not Wes

• BigD
    July 13, 2010 1:33 p.m.

mcnamara-

3 years as opposed to the 6 Boozer would have wanted. How would Boozer be better financially in the long run? Not saying Jefferson isn't a little expensive but at least it is 3 years and if it doesn't work after 2 someone may take him in a trade for the salary dump.

• Confused
    July 13, 2010 1:31 p.m.

Bugoff
    " Boozer based on stats is an overall better defender"

What defense? Are you talking about "Ole" Boozer who would let his guy go by and DO NOTHING?

What stats did you look at?

Did you see how many points his man would score each night?

Boozer was a joke in the Defense department.

• Jazz Source
    July 13, 2010 1:31 p.m.

re: macnamara

What you fail to recognize is that while the price for AJ is about the same that it was for Booz there are 2 important differences.

1. AJ is younger. He is just entering his NBA prime. That means there still is potential to get better.

2. Contract length is minimum 1 and more likely as much as 3 years LESS than what Boozer wanted. Do you want to be paying Boozer 15 million 4 years from now given his injury history and age?

NOPE!!

With Deron feeding Jefferson the ball his stats will only stand to get better. He is taller and then by default harder to shoot over and blocks more shots than Boozer.

He is no defensive machine but his height alone improves our situation.

You are too much of a downer.

It is extremely difficult to even come close to replace Boozers stats but AJ has averaged even more rebounds than Booz and his points are close and may improve with our system.

We are certainly better with AJ the beast in the post.

Back to the bench for Millsap--unless he can find a way to grow 4-5 inches.

• Big_Ben
    July 13, 2010 1:29 p.m.

I would like to know what Dwill's thoughts on this matter are. This has to make him happy.

• Bugoff
    July 13, 2010 1:28 p.m.

It is a myth that Jefferson is longer, has more reach etc than Boozer. They are the same.

What Jefferson might do is make the Boozer/Millsap small ball team a little better as he is a better low post player.

In order to get that to work the Jazz have to have outside shooting and they need it cheap.

You better hope Fes gets resigned and Koufos is not traded. They are important for injury back ups now. One or both of them are going to have to play some minutes like in the playoffs.

I am most worried about the defense. The Jazz traded one mouthy sieve for an non mouthy sieve.

Defense wins championships. Sloan and DWill will fix the shooting inefficiency. Will they fix the defense?

Jefferson and Love did not mesh in the triangle. Will Jefferson and Millsap get in each others way in the flex?

There are a lot of questions. Jefferson will probably go for 25 and 12 many nights but will the team contend against he Western playoff teams?

AKs contract is coming off this year and Okur the next. There is some flex. I still have concerns about the FO.

• patriot
    July 13, 2010 1:21 p.m.

Just what the doctor ordered. 6'10 265 lbs power forward and I mean power. No more 6'7" Boozer. The Jazz were exposed against LA and this addition will really help. The Jazz still need to go to Europe or Spain to get a shooting forward - someone with size and touch. Anyway, this was a really good move for the Jazz!

• SoCalCougar
    July 13, 2010 1:21 p.m.

I am a bit scared for this as well. Not sure if he is worth the $14-$15M we'll be paying him. He's another Boozer type - no defense player - no better, maybe a step down. There's no way we compete against the Lakers with him. We need a defender. No knock on Jazz brass though - Guess we take em how we can get em...

• relientk
    July 13, 2010 1:20 p.m.

No way we can bring back Mathews. We should go for Barnes and bring back Brewer!

• Bugoff
    July 13, 2010 1:18 p.m.

It is hard for me to get thrilled about this trade. The Jazz are giving up draft picks they need. Jefferson is weak on defense and is a volume shooter. He is also expensive.

Perhaps worst of all the Jazz picked the guy in front of him and behind him in the draft. They could have had him from the beginning if they were at all decent at drafting.

The Jazz forte is evaluating existing talent for the Sloan flex. Lets hope this guy adapts and fits better than his previous stats suggest. Let hope this was not a desperation move.

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade. Lets see how he adjusts and how this works out. He does not look like a defensive C in any way shape or form.

Can Sloan get him to play D? I think his shooting efficiency will improve from the Sloan system and DWill getting him the ball at the right time and angle.

He is a weak passer, that also has to be addressed. I would not call him a ball hog since he was on a weak team.

• relientk
    July 13, 2010 1:18 p.m.

MSap was poised to be the starting PF, but now its looking like it will be AJ (when Memo is back and healthy that is). Hope MSap is ok with this one!

• Vince
    July 13, 2010 1:17 p.m.

Please just get it done, then shop for another PG backup-SG combo. I would not mind seeing Harrington in a Jazz uni either.

• Bugoff
    July 13, 2010 1:11 p.m.

After a careful analysis of all the stats I could find, they pretty much confirm what some have already observed.

1. Boozer is more efficient, much better in the clutch and a better jump shooter.

2. The rebounding will be about the same.

3. Jefferson is a beast in the low post and around the rim. Actually better than Boozer. However, he shoots 60% jump shots (more than Boozer) and only 40% inside.

4. The percentage of assisted shots is vastly higher for Boozer. DWill will make a big difference.

5. Boozer based on stats is an overall better defender. Jefferson gets 1 extra block a game.

The bottom line is Jefferson is less efficient and a worse defender.

Those to things may change with a change in teams.

Defense is partly a team function, especially individual stats based on +/-.

Having a great PG should alter his game.

IF Jefferson plays D and shifts to more of an inside game he could be better than Boozer overall.

The Jazz have to have more outside shooting to utilize Jefferson well. This is a crucial weakness in the Jazz. I has to be fixed to cure the inefficiency inside.

• Douglas
    July 13, 2010 1:07 p.m.

Great news. Jefferson averaged better numbers with the T-Wolves than Boozer did with the Jazz.

Imagine how much better Jefferson will play in a system that compliments his skill set! I was hoping this would happen for the past few weeks and now it has.

Now that we have a big man, I think the Jazz should match Matthews contract and push hard to dump AK's contract come the trade deadline so that now Luxury tax penalties come into play.

• macnamara
    July 13, 2010 1:03 p.m.

The cost of whats gone down won't be felt to it's fullest extent immediately. But our future will be compromised and our flexibility down the road will be shot for a few years.

This not only hasn't improved the team but it's been too expensive by far. We could have re-signed Boozer and been money and talent ahead without all the turmoil.

• LAJazzFan
    July 13, 2010 12:54 p.m.

AJ has 20/10 written all over him in the Jazz system. Taller and longer than Boozer with more of a defensive presence and able to play 4 and 5 will have the CBoozer lovers asking CWho? come the end of the season.

Let Wes go, Jazz can get Matt Barnes and a SG/combo guard for $6M-$7M/yr that Wes would otherwise get.

With AJ, MSap (or Okur if healed), AK, Barnes/CJ and Dwill you have a very potent starting 5 that match up much better against Lakers. This team could be better than last year's- which was 1 game out of 2nd seed in West.

• Monty Montana
    July 13, 2010 12:52 p.m.

I think this is a positive move for the Jazz. AJ dominated Boozer when they meet last year. I believe Deron will bring the best out in AJ. Also I believe that Hayward will prove to be better than Korver down the stretch. I hope the Jazz brass don’t stop here. Go JAZZ!

• williary
    July 13, 2010 12:40 p.m.

I like this move, I think. Mostly because it does make the Jazz better than they were yesterday. Better than having Booz, I don't think so. Jefferson is a little younger, but also started playing younger, so he has just as many miles on those legs. Plus two major knee injuries. And if you guys thought Booz played no D, wait til you see Jefferson play. But KOC had to make a move, so I'm ok with this. Play him and Millsap together to start, then can mix in Memo when he comes back.

On Matthews, no way we can match that deal. Way too expensive. Heck, Josh Childress got the exact same deal from Phoenix, and is a much better player. Let Wes leave and go get another 2-guard.

• toddfromsantaana
    July 13, 2010 12:30 p.m.

I See Cowboy Joe is at it. Here is the real me..

Minute ago the Minneapolis Star mentioned 2 first round picks will be sent for this deal

This makes it ever more important Hayward and Evans develop and become a major part here down the road.

Chandler deal now off I heard.

Unfortunately, I am getting a bad feeling Fesenko is done here, but I guess in life you cannot have everything you want...

Rambis I heard let him go because he wants to go more uptempo.

Some fans there did not like AJ because he would get the ball and everyone would stand around and watch

The fans thought we should have given them more than picks...

Personally if we have a low post beast and we do not run as much that might not be bad.

If that means cutting the defense ppg down 4 or 5 a game to have a chance and have a lot of wins do it...

I am sure SLoan and the coaches will figure out a way in his flex for movement and options and DWIL to see to it the offense does not become stagnant

• Big_Ben
    July 13, 2010 12:28 p.m.

I am torn on bringing matthews back. I think its too high unfortunately. Oh well, there are other guys that can fill his role.

• greyspice
    July 13, 2010 12:18 p.m.

Please******* make it happen!!!! Then go retrieve Matthews.

• Big_Ben
    July 13, 2010 12:14 p.m.

Great to get this guy on board. I think we will be better than last year. Need another shooter or two to stretch the floor.