Utah Jazz fans have mixed reactions about Boozer

• Jazz2Win
    July 8, 2010 9:54 p.m.

I think we will see in Boozer what we have seen with many players who have come through SLC...they will not be as successful with another team and in another system. Boozer has benefited from playing on a team that so strongly features the PF and who has an exceptional point guard. Derrick Rose is good but he is not D. Williams.

• BillM75
    July 8, 2010 6:17 p.m.

Miller is wildly overpaid, or will be, for what he brings.

Biedrins is slightly better than Koof & Fes.

Monta Ellis is the biggest ballhog/launching pad in NBA history; he & Sloan wouldn't last three days together.

• BillM75
    July 8, 2010 6:04 p.m.

Quit talking about "20-10" like a parrot, people! There's more to the game. His defense was so bad that last year the Jazz were 2pts per 100 possessions BETTER with him off the court, and he was ranked 240th in the league in adjusted plus/minus. Do a little research.

Factoring in durability, mobility & toughness and Millsap's an upgrade.

Boozer will do well (when not "injured" 28% of the time) in Chicago. Why? They have a PG almost as good as DW and they have a center who is orders of magnitude better than what we have, at least defensively and athletically, who can cover for him.

Boozer should not be booed. He took the biggest/longest contract, like he always does. He cost us nothing to get, and now we have a nice trade exception for a 2nd round pick.

We knew exactly what he was when we picked him up, this shouldn't have surprised or offended anyone at all. It's always been about the money for Boozer, nobody can be naive enough to think anything else. Bully for him, the Bulls gave him way more than the Jazz would've.

• jcrotty25
    July 8, 2010 4:45 p.m.

We need to get Brad Miller.... then trade kerilinko for Monte Ellis and Andres Biedrens...Good riddance Boozer ...

• toddfromsantaana
    July 8, 2010 1:45 p.m.

Old Timer:

Part of the ESPN Poll

All of them are now coming out of the woods proud of themselves for where we are

Where are we?

• freewaymaster
    July 8, 2010 1:27 p.m.

Boozer is a LOSER!!!!!!!!! get out of Utah carlos! please let the door slam you on the way out! when you come back to play our Jazz, you WILL be BOOOOEEDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• patriot
    July 8, 2010 12:29 p.m.

Boozer is a good player .... just not worth anywhere near what the Jazz paid him and certainly not worth the 80 mil the Bulls will pay him. Boozer and Joe Johnson of Atlanta are REALLY overpaid for what they produce and I think the Jazz are lucky to unload him. Boozer was a decent rebounder but not a good one. Boozer could score 30 some nights but often didn't show up when the Jazz needed him the most. Boozer missed alot of work which you just don't do if you are paid what he was paid. I think the Jazz can do better and I doubt the Bulls will be satisfied with him.

• Samwise
    July 8, 2010 12:22 p.m.

I will not miss Boozer, but I think it would be really lame to boo him when he comes and plays in Salt Lake next year. What is the point? I also very much disagree with booing Fisher. I actually kind of like the guy... at least as much as I can kind of like a Laker. I like giving people the benefit of the doubt.

• Bugoff
    July 8, 2010 12:18 p.m.

Millsap has more upside potential than Boozer. Boozer is a better offensive player (except against LA) until he is injured.

The FA markets is crazy right now. I do not see the right PF out there right now. The Jazz might be able to get one near the trade deadline.

PF is the least of the Jazz worries.

C is the big problem. The options are very limited. The Jazz should be able to get Amundson or Mahimni for relatively cheap. That adds some depth to PF/C.

Trading Korver for Brewer is a bad mistake. Getting Brewer for 2.5 mill and using him as a back up is a smart move.

Without Boozer the Sloan Flex will morph into a different mode. They will play small ball. The Jazz will need more outside shooting and rebounding. Fes/Koufos can rebound but the points are going to have to come from the wings.

Brewer could be useful at SF if Mathews can shoot well enough to open the floor at SG. It will take time for Hayward to learn the system and develop.

If the Jazz get a TE for Boozer they will eventually get the right PF.

• jumpinjax
    July 8, 2010 11:52 a.m.

Anonymous infinity
    I agree with you on the depleted bench talk. To me Boozer needed to be traded so we got something back but the jazz are always scared to pull off anything. And Mcnamara, yes Millsap is shorter than Boozer but on defense Millsap plays much bigger.

• VIDAR
    July 8, 2010 11:51 a.m.

re:ennayr

Ok, who do you think would do better?
    A teacher playing a NBA game, or a professional basketball player teaching a classroom of kids?
    Careful, remember quite a few of the professional basketball players have college degrees and are over 6' 6" tall.

• Anonymous Infinity
    July 8, 2010 11:38 a.m.

Re: CougarClassic
    Are you suggesting that teachers deserve more money than people out there signing contracts for huge money as in athletes, movie stars, rock stars, and yes politicians. Give me a break. Teachers know going in what their salaries will be. Why don't we just raise the minimum wage to $20, $50, or whatever. Get real. These people don't have guns to the heads of team owners, movie producers, etc. You nee to study economics. Of course athletes are over paid. We all pay for all these things by the products we buy or they wouldn't be making the money they do.

• Anonymous Infinity
    July 8, 2010 11:33 a.m.

Anyone with half a brain cannot be celebrating the departure of Carlos Boozer, simply because the Jazz are no longer a legitimate team. I don't care about the detractors who maintain that he plays little defense or that he is unavailable to play due to too many injuries. I don't care about that either. The Jazz play team defense. In the first place they do not have enough quick athletic players to contend with the elite teams. They refuse to guard the three point line; and paranthetically the three has to go. I'm serious! It has completely changed the game for the worse. Paul Millsap cannot replace a Boozer talent-wise and this will denegrate the bench productivity. This will be a transitional year for the team, particularly if they don't sign Matthews and Korver. I think the Jazz are beginning a serious decline. They will not have the guns to mount any hope of a playoff spot....period. I lament Boozer's departure and the overall fact that the league is out of control with this free agency situation. I thought the owners were going to hammer the Players Association because of no money. Ha!

• ennayr
    July 8, 2010 11:29 a.m.

Re: The Judge
    I happen to be a teacher and think your comment is ridiculous. Try stepping into my classroom for a day and we'll talk!!

• VIDAR
    July 8, 2010 11:27 a.m.

goodbye glassman

• chuckles55
    July 8, 2010 11:18 a.m.

I see Snoozer and Osterdrag in the same league. Big mouths, little production when it counts and only out for what is best for them. I was glad to see Drag go - now I am ecstatic to see Snoozer go to where he can play down to the talent he really has...

• Bankshot7
    July 8, 2010 10:58 a.m.

Chicago just shoe themselves in the foot. They are paying too much money for a guy that won't play if his feeling are hurt let alone has a hangnail. Boozer is soft and won't risk his body to take a charge or play hard defense. Good Riddance!

• klepsydra
    July 8, 2010 10:32 a.m.

I just don't see the point in bringing back Brewer. I'd rather bring back Korver. Mathews gives you all the skills Brewer had plus he is a much better shooter.

• The Judge
    July 8, 2010 10:31 a.m.

Cougar Classic,

It's not that society places a higher value on sports figures than teachers. It's that there's not many guys that can score 20 points in an NBA game.

Most of us could be teachers or policemen. Not many people can play in the NFL or NBA. That's why they make millions. They're hard to replace. If only 360 people could be teachers or cops, teachers and cops would get paid a lot more.

• Jazzfan1232
    July 8, 2010 10:19 a.m.

I wish the Jazz would try and keep Korver. I think he is a good shooter and a great player. I think he will only get better. I will miss him next year he reminds me a little of Hornacheck and I think that is what the Jazz need along with a big man in the middle. I am glad Boozer is gone he did not really want to play in Utah anyway so bye bye. Millsap will be great. I understand how hard it is for the jazz to get big name talent in Utah not many players want to play in Utah. So please please keep Korver and Matthews. Can't wait till the season starts.

• macnamara
    July 8, 2010 10:17 a.m.

You malcontents have been bagging on Boozer for being "Undersized" the entire six years he's been in Utah......You wanted Millsap and now you've got him!!......You just got "SMALLER" and you're stuck with him!!

• Jazz-Nation
    July 8, 2010 10:13 a.m.

Like I said "This is the best money never spent". I was never a Boozer hater because he played for my team. Now that he is outta here, I will be the loudest JAZZ FAN BOOOING and cheering when D-Will drives through the lane and Boozer lets him right past him in true Boozer defensive form. Trust that JAZZ NATION!!!

• Monsieur le prof
    July 8, 2010 9:53 a.m.

One reason I avoid NBA games is the lack of loyalty by the players to their teams. I think college hoops are much more fun to watch. The difference in money between 10 million and 15 million (or any such numbers) is ridiculous. Unless you are giving it away, how would you notice? Your steaks won't be any better, your bed any softer, nor your car any faster.

Money corrupts and makes many of these players insufferable (think Kobe). As much as I disliked Karl Malone's attitude (sometimes) and his grammar (all the time), he was a true professional and gave 100% ALL the time.

• Brave Sir Robin
    July 8, 2010 9:42 a.m.

Are some of you that clueless about basketball?

20 & 10 mean nothing when the guy you're defending gets 25 & 15.

• UtahMan4evr
    July 8, 2010 9:39 a.m.

If I was a betting man, I would lay money on the table that Boozer will have one of his mystery "injuries" when Chicago visits the Jazz next season to avoid the torent of boos that would otherwise rain down upon him. On the other hand, if Boozer plays in more than 75 games for the Bulls next season, we'll all know what a fake he really is.

• Old Timer
    July 8, 2010 9:30 a.m.

Fans, fans, lets all take a deep breath. Spouting and raging is bad for your health and the image you give off regarding our city and state. I believe that when the dust settles this year we are going to be a fun and exciting team to watch and cheer for. We would not have won a title w/Booze and regarding other losses we may suffer before everyone in free agency is done could lose other quality players. But I believe the Jazz will present and have a "very" competitive team this coming year, just watch! I predict we will finish as good as this years team.

• Johnny Ace
    July 8, 2010 9:23 a.m.

What kind of offer did the Jazz extend? Most likely none, it never got that far. They sat on their hands until they could "see what kind of offers he was getting" before they made their move. Funny thing about being an UNrestricted free agent, though, is that when you accept an offer YOU LEAVE! It's not the same situation as Millsap last year with the Blazers, you don't get a chance to match on unrestricted guys.

By the way, this is the same approach they're using with Wes Matthews and if they're not careful they'll get bit on that one too.

• Johnny Triumph
    July 8, 2010 9:08 a.m.

Boozer's only after $$ and has no commitment to any team. He showed that when he bolted Cleveland and he's showing it again now (and last year). He's good but he was supposed to be the next Karl Malone, which he isn't. And now that he's signed with Chicago Lebron's choice is more limited; I'd be very surprised if Lebron ever chose to play with Boozer after the Cleveland incident.

As for missing Boozer I really doubt the Jazz will miss him that much. He helped get us to the playoffs but that's it, there's no championship to show for it and that, in my mind, is only slightly better than mediocre. And it seems like it'll be sign-and-trade so the Jazz will still get something out of him.

B'bye Boozer, good luck playing in Jordan's shadow!

• Floyd Johnson
    July 8, 2010 8:44 a.m.

I am curious what offer the Jazz extended to Boozer. Similar to thte Chicago deal?

Koufos looked good last night, granted against D-league talent. Looks significantly thicker. He has to step up for the solid minutes open for him.

Wish we could have had a look at Tadija Dragicevic. He could be an interesting addition next year.

• The Great Houdini
    July 8, 2010 8:31 a.m.

Before someone gets their panties in a wad,when I said "we`ll be fine"...I meant at the PF spot,with AK/Millsap,also Brewer would help at the 2/3 spot not at 5,too much coffee this morning

• Big_Ben
    July 8, 2010 8:25 a.m.

A couple things:

1) It is really hard to get good coverage on this issue. KFAN just says whatever the jazz want them to. The guys at the zone are literally crying (BTW, with monson out, 8 hours a day of John and Hans is too much).

2) Im not too worried. Boozer was a great talent, much more offensively talented than Paul. However, Paul makes up for it with effort. Even with boozer, we were not going to compete for a title this next season. I think that now we have a chance to really evaluate our talent. AK will be inspired to have a good year, it being a contract year. AK always played better w/o boozer anyway. I think w/o boozer, it opens playing time for Koufus, and Fesenko and we can see where they are at and if we want to keep them long term. Tomic could come in year after. We would have about 15-20 million next year to try to pick some guys up. We are going to be ok. I think effort will improve across the board.

• The Great Houdini
    July 8, 2010 8:14 a.m.

Starting lineup,Williams/Matthews/Big Problem/AK/Big Problem...first the 3 spot,Miles....what can I say,Korver,probably gone,Hayward,potential,but a rook,as I say big problem at the 3,I`d say Millsap,he`d get burned some but he would give as well as he gets,makes our bench really weak.Now the 5 spot,Bigger problem...Memo out,Koufos and Fes so far have shown very very little,getting Brewer back would help some but not the answer.I love my Jazz....but we have big issues

• The Great Houdini
    July 8, 2010 7:55 a.m.

Good player,but won`t get us to the next level,I`m thinking Millsap is gonna tear it up this year along with AK,we`ll be fine...Hayward to the D-leaque???? I don`t think so...oh and Millsap`s inside game better than Boozer??? what a laugh

• Jack Bauer
    July 8, 2010 7:45 a.m.

Sorry Jazz fans looks like you ain't gonna have any improvement for the next season. While every team in the NBA have either upgraded/improved their stock, the Jazz aren't doing anything. KOC gambled and drafted the wrong player....should have gotten Ed Davis or Patrick Patterson. Looks like Jazz are aiming for the draft again next year. Well better say bye bye to Deron Williams!!!

• Doug10
    July 8, 2010 7:33 a.m.

Somebody wake up cougar classic and tell him what an average PF does...it is not close to 20/10 in the worlds best league.

Boozer was not appreciated by the fans. His team who played with him and his coach who watched him are all behind him as a man and a player. To me that speaks volumes and is better than whiny fans who cannot see the forest for the trees. Boozer was great and Utah will be lucky to find anyone with half his talent willng to play here.

Ronnie Brewer returning? Did Kobe ask the JAzz to do that? Nobody in the NBA has to guard Brewer outside the key. Nice guy but no shot.

Jazz are in danger of falling off the map. They have 3 centers none of which can play center in the NBA and they are talking about Brewer returning????

• louisiana jazz man
    July 8, 2010 6:44 a.m.

re bugoff i think millsap inside game is way better than boz. boz was more of a fade away jump shooter

• #1 Jazz Fan
    July 8, 2010 5:57 a.m.

Booz did good, but others will step up to fill the void he leaves. I'm not worried. Milsap is awesome and our 7 footers are still evolving.

All will be well.

I'm just hoping we can retain Korver.

• LivinLarge
    July 8, 2010 5:50 a.m.

Seriously, what NBA player would want to play in a town like SLC. You don't aspire to be an NBA player so you can live in a "family friendly" environment. You aspire to win an NBA Championship...just ask the Lakers!!!

• Terry
    July 8, 2010 1:18 a.m.

Booze has been hated everywhere he goes because he only cares about money for the minimum effort possible to get it, and has no heart or love of the game! I Guarantee Chicago will regret this decision at least for THAT kind of money, especially when the new CBA comes out and they see they are stuck paying a long term contract double what they should have. That is a Worse overpaid contract than AK's!
    ha ha ha! Good Riddance!

Millsap fills the stats just like booze when given the starting role and plays with heart and better defense without crying about a sore stomach/toe and missing half the season to keep himself fresh!

Don't let the door hit you!

• mnelsonj
    July 8, 2010 12:33 a.m.

Boozer's not worth 80 mil. He wasn't worth it when he came to the Jazz and now that he's older, he's even worth less than that.

• Utah Jazz fan Chris
    July 8, 2010 12:06 a.m.

Jazz fans like Chris Cook are so ignorant and don't appreciate the things that Boozer has done for this organization.

SHAME ON CHRIS COOK!!!

• Bugoff
    July 7, 2010 11:49 p.m.

Fan House is quoting KOC as indicating the Jazz may get a TE for Boozer (nothing else) as soon as Thursday.

He also indicated he plans to get depth. Not just anyone but someone who can help win.

He indicated he would contact Brewer to see if a deal could be worked after Mathews signs. The Jazz plan to go smaller at least in the short run according to KOC.

If the Jazz have a 12 mill TE from Booz, a 6.5 from Harp and a 2.7 from Brewer and get Brewer for 1/2 of the MLE they can add some very decent players between now and the trade deadline.

If Brewer comes back. Heyward goes to D-league for much of the year.

Who is going to shoot the 3s? Who is going to rebound? Fes/Koufos can rebound but someone needs an inside game.

• Bugoff
    July 7, 2010 11:27 p.m.

Boozer is a very good talented player when healthy. However, he was not the PF the Jazz needed to win the West. He will help CHI when healthy. I think CHI is stronger than MIA at the moment. MIA has no supporting players.

The Jazz can now regroup. They have to replace both Okur and Boozer plus maybe Korver. Unless they get a TE from CHI for Boozer they only have the Harp and Brewer TEs to get new players with. The current choices are limited.

The Jazz need to be patient and get the right PF and C. They may have to wait 2 years to get the right ones. They might get a great player at the trade dead line.

The new CBA might change all of this insane free agency posturing. There needs to be a hard cap at about 75 to 80 mill. Why should 2 or 3 teams hog all the best talent and reduce the other 28 teams to foils and props.

• CougarClassic
    July 7, 2010 11:24 p.m.

The idea that society places enough emphasis on sports that a very average NBA power forward can make $80 million over the next 5 years is in and of itself the issue at hand. We have teachers who have to work two jobs to survive, we have police officers who always seem to be at-risk of losing their lives, we have spent over a $trillion dollars on a war wherein innocent people have lost their lives, we have people losing their homes right and left, we have both politicians and corporate CEO's as corrupt as the day is long, and all we care about is winning games and who likes our city versus some other city.

The seemingly endless obsession with Labron James and the other Free Agents is bordering on a societal detachment of reality wherein any reasonable thinking person would discount such as hyperbole and a emotion-filled frenzy of an aimless and leaderless nation.

• t-chris
    July 7, 2010 11:20 p.m.

As much as he made me angry, we just lost a 20 & 10 guy that won't be replaced, well milsap will replace him but with memo out for maybe a year who's gunna fill in? fes? Koufos? ha ha, they might work five times as hard and never have as much production as booz did! This will be interesting. . .