Former Missouri governor honored for rescinding Mormon 'extermination order'

• Y Ask Y
    June 1, 2010 10:44 a.m.

To The Caravan Moves On,

The doctrines of both the Southern Baptists and the Mormons are essentially the same. That is why there is no reason for Southern Baptists to join Mormonism. Featherstone was a soft-hearted, naive man. Don't place a lot of stock in his "prophecy".

• the truth
    May 30, 2010 5:45 p.m.

RE: Not_Scared | 2:18 p.m

ONe thing you FAILED to mention,

it was a DEMOCRAT president that allowed the cherokee removal, "trail of tears",

also the deprivation of rights to the mormons,

that ultimately lead the extermination order and the kicking out of mormons in the middle of winter, which lead to them moving out the country to what is now Utah and mountain west.

funny thing is, now a lot non-mormons and anti-mormons do not want the mormons in utah to have a voice there either,

if it wasn't FDR or Wilson and now Obama doing something horrible, and anti-consitutional

it was a past democrats Like Polk.

• the truth
    May 30, 2010 5:37 p.m.

Why is the FAR LEFt so vested in attacking state rights?

why are they so sttrongly behind consolidating all power into the federal government,

and having one big brother central government,

quite anithesis to "liberalism"

something to ponder.

• The Caravan Moves On
    May 29, 2010 11:52 p.m.

Hey Socalmon (10:43PM) -

FYI, I've been told of a prophecy by Vaughn J. Featherstone that the day will come when the Southeast, the "Bible Belt" of Christianity, will baptize more new members than all the rest of North America combined.

Having served my mission in southern Lousiana, Mississippi and Alabama, as well as having several military assignments in the Southeast (Columbia, MS and Valdosta, GA), I can honestly say I believe this prophecy. Lots and LOTS and L-O-T-S of truly good, decent Christians down there who don't have the fulness of the Gospel only because they currently don't know where to find it. I met SO many nice people down there, it was refreshing and highly invigorating to learn that in the battle for Christ and goodness, the Latter-day Saints are not alone.

The south will indeed blossom as a rose!

• Socalmon
    May 29, 2010 10:43 p.m.

Thank goodness the South is eventually getting a learning curve towards introspection of their past.
    It will become even more heartening to see less one-on-one prejudice disappear towards Mormons, in the rest of Dixie someday. I believe the barriers will begin to evaporate more rapidly, as more prominent Mormons are shown on the American landscape, from the likes of such members as diverse as Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite), to Glenn Beck.
    There are so many wonderful people in the South.

• Henry Drummond
    May 29, 2010 8:23 p.m.

When I first saw this I thought this group was honoring Governor Boggs! Kit Bond does seem like a more plausible choice. I think the same year the Idaho Legislature repealed a law that had been on the books for a hundred years denying the vote to Mormons.

• Not_Scared
    May 29, 2010 2:18 p.m.

ER in AF | 2:00 p.m Read about Jackson, the Cherokee Nation, the Supreme Court decision and what happened and see what I mean about state's rights.

• ER in AF
    May 29, 2010 2:00 p.m.

In citing state's rights, it seems you are suggesting that a state has the right to make ANY law according to their desire. In fact, that is not true. A state cannot create a law to kill Canadians, Episcopalians or socialists. A state cannot enact a law that is clearly contrary to the US Constitution; a document that makes us united in the United States of America.

Many individuals now want to suggest because the federal government does not do things exactly as they might that state laws can trump ALL federal laws. That is, at the basic foundational level of our nation, not correct.

Moreover, this comes from me, a person in opposition to the current party in power. Currently I live in a nation in which the opposition candidate for president was recently imprisoned prior to the coming election. I may not agree with everything the current US administration does, but I will fight to the death defending President Obama's right as the freely elected President to rule under the constitution of the United States of America.

• Not_Scared
    May 29, 2010 11:56 a.m.

The extermination order is a historical vestige of state's rights. If a government did this today, federal troops would enter the scene.