U.S. Coast Guard team to probe Uinta Mountains crash

• HH3FMech
    March 10, 2010 10:11 a.m.

Glad the crew made it through and prayers for all to recover. What cost to send two helicopters from E. City to Vancover, for what U.S. mission, a sporting event in another country.....someone in headquarter's should hang for sending them there. It's incredibly ironic that the first CG helo to have weapons on board crashes......maybe that's why they've never had guns....save lives, not take them!!!

• Coastie Family-CA
    March 6, 2010 5:27 p.m.

This Coastie family is wishing for a quick recovery to all injured and their families. Our son is also a USCG aviator from E-City and these are the people he has been working alongside for the past few weeks for the Olympics. Proud Coast Guard Parents!

• Anonymous
    March 6, 2010 12:31 p.m.

Your Coast Guard Family is thinking of you and wishing you a quick recovery. Be safe in your travels home.

• Mary Williams
    March 6, 2010 7:42 a.m.

Our son & daughter-in-law are both Coasties. Our son is a Flight Mech on a 65 out of Kodiak. When something like this happens he always calls us. I know how close Coasties are and when this happens it affects them all. Our prayers go out to the injured and hope they all have a speedy recovery. God be with them and all in the USCG.

• Ryan F.
    March 5, 2010 11:28 p.m.

May God bless and comfort those who suffer in this tradgedy and their families. God bless these brave and selfless men and women whom are in harms way every day for us. May God strengthen the backs of these men and women who bear the burdon of freedom for our great country, The United States of America.

• Ryan F.
    March 5, 2010 11:20 p.m.

I just have to say how proud I am both Helo crews. If you know this area then you know there aren't allot of Heli pads near by(none). The second crew braved the possible outcome of the first crew to save there fellow corpsmen they landed near the stricken helo. These courageous coasties should be honored whith the strongest award for bravery that the Coast Guard has. They exemplified true brotherhood for summoning the strength then plunging in to the injuries and pulling the hurt from the wreckage.

Then they were able to take those that were the worst off and fly them super fast directly to the University of Utah level 1 one tramua center. One of the second crew even stayed behind to aid stricken comrades. The people in the that second ship are hero's!!!!! The people in the first ship are heros, the pilot landed well enough, in that horrible circumstance, that all survived!!! Folks what we have here are Hero's and Miricles.

• Retired HSC
    March 5, 2010 12:54 p.m.

Whether corpsmen, flight mech, avionics, swimmer or pilot, this is always at the back of your mind as you're sitting there. These folks don't usually get called out on a sunny calm day. Heroes ALL!! Wishing a speedy recovery to all involved.

• norma evans
    March 5, 2010 11:48 a.m.

first of all, I give thanks to the Lord God for the travling safety ,of my son,the pilot of the second helicopter. At our church we have had him on the prayer list. And God has answered our prayers. Thank you Jesus!!!! now we are asking for the healing of the 3 that are still in the hospital. God was with them on the mountain and he is now . From a thankful mother; thank you Lord!!!!!

• MFAS in OK
    March 5, 2010 11:16 a.m.

My son is a USCG aviator. It is a hard reality check to see the photo you have posted. I pray especially for all the aviators and those who fly with them; even more earnestly now!

• Bugs
    March 5, 2010 10:52 a.m.

My prayers to all of you

from 1 helo driver to another

• YNCS
    March 5, 2010 10:20 a.m.

With over 28 years service I see my fellow Coasties as "kids". We always want our kids to be safe and return home in one piece. I will pray for the whole crew. I hope to hear about them getting back doing what they do best, rescuing people!

SEMPER PARATUS

• coastie family
    March 5, 2010 9:28 a.m.

A speedy recovery to the crew physically and emotionally. This event hits home. A former coastie here who's brother is a crewman flying on those birds just about everyday. Just goes to show that these accidents can happen over water or land or even mountains. Sempar Par! Remember, these men and women are out there everyday "SO OTHERS MAY LIVE."

• CoastieProud
    March 5, 2010 7:24 a.m.

Semper Fi?? Wrong service.

God Bless the crew & their families. A speedy recovery to all. I'm a Coastie wife and mom, I know how much I worry when they have to go out.

Come home soon.

• dcj07
    March 4, 2010 10:12 p.m.

Semper Paratus... Always Ready. Proud to have been a Coastie, and very proud of the Coast Guard in general. From day one you are told that you have to go out, but you may not come back. Every Coast Guardsman knows this, but they still put their lives and their own self interests to the side to help someone else in need, or to protect the interests of their country. Among all the Coast Guard jobs though, the Aviators are a truly special group, and I truly hope and pray that this crew comes out of this ordeal in good health and lives to fly another day.

• fran
    March 4, 2010 2:25 p.m.

As a Coastie mom, I am praying, especially for AET2 Panuzzi, for a full recovery. I was concerned to see that she has had surgery again today, Thurs, but trust she's receiving best care possible. My son is in USCG, they are some great men and women, as are all our military past and present. Semper Paratus, Semper Fi! Blessed and proud to be a Coastie mom!

• Jay
    March 4, 2010 1:47 p.m.

I was working with this and the other crews for the last month for the joint mission. I'm in the Navy and heading home today. Its tragic and really gives you a reality check of the dangers service members encounted on a daily basis even when stateside. My prayers go out to them for a quick recovery. Thank God we didn't loose any of our shipmates in this accident.

• 2 bits
    March 4, 2010 1:03 p.m.

Wow, what a coincidence. They are leaving the site of the 2010 Winter Olympics and crashed near the site of the 2002 Winter Olympics. What are the odds of that happening.

Sounds like those cell phones came in handy.

I'm sure it's nice to be able to reach out and touch someone when you're in a situation like this and let them know what happened. And to know you have a rescue craft and trained crew right there. They were very lucky. It could have been a long cold night on the mountain otherwise.

• Arkonbey
    March 4, 2010 11:25 a.m.

My wishes for a speedy recovery for the injured. May they be back in the air as soon as they can.

As a former USCG flight mech (HH-3f @ADQ, HH-60J @ TVC), the first thing I did was check to see if any of my buddies was on the helo. USCG aviation is so small that you can know so many people.