Planning commissioner apologizes for Holladay Village decision

• Educated Decisions
    March 5, 2010 3:51 p.m.

If you are going to criticize the "retail/housing mix", or anything else, state some facts to support your opinion. No one cares what you think - they want the facts.

The fact is, Cowboy Partners has plans to benefit the community as a whole, and turn a dump into something useful. I know many people who would flock to such housing opportunities in that area, and retail on any more than the ground floor is idiotic.

If you want to cry over the dump that was video vern's, go ahead. If you want to renovate the city and turn it into something beautiful, stop whining and let the project finally happen.

• Holladite
    Feb. 23, 2010 12:47 p.m.

Helen and Bob - Your ideas have merit, but why years too late? The planning and meetings have been taking place for over 5 years and I do not believe that you've attend a single meeting? What is your agenda for blocking the development in the 9th inning?

• Holladite
    Feb. 22, 2010 8:37 a.m.

This development has morphed from something that would be an asset to the community to something that would be a horrible detriment. The Village Center master plan and ordinances make it clear that the main purpose of the Village is to provide goods and services to encourage residents and non-residents to shop. That concept has been turned on its head by the current plan, which is weighted 80% apartments and 20% shopping, thanks to a developer scambling to make a quick buck and a mayor and city council majority that are in way over their heads.

The land is, indeed, being sold to the developer at a loss. In return for that public investment, shouldn't we at least get a project that complies with the city's own general plan and ordinances for the Village Center?

Hopefully, in response to this appeal, some on the city council will be courageous enough to admit, like Dick Kimball has, that the current plan is a mistake and needs to significantly modified to correct some fundamental problems, including retail/housing mix, severe parking shortage, and height/scale.

We have one chance to do this right. Let's make sure we do.

• Jeff
    Feb. 21, 2010 7:59 a.m.

There's lots of good things about apartments and multi-family dwellings in general. The more people in one building, the more open space there is. Looking to the future, if we want to maintain any open space, people will have to live in multi-family buildings. Second, the "poor" (not millionaires) worker bees who work in Holladay won't have to drive from out of the city, which will save gas and the environment. The owners of the palatial estates in Holladay only care about themselves and have the money to care for themselves and their wants very well.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 20, 2010 11:44 a.m.

Helen Redd and Bob Neslen do not speak for everyone. Many of us are just tired of the silly opposition, and want to see construction take place as soon as possible. I don't see why the height is a concern, I'd much rather have a tall building than a strip mall, which is what it would invariably turn out to be if it were not the mix of shops and apartments that is proposed. This development would be great for Holladay. Just because it is not perfect does not mean it shouldn't be pursued.

• In Holladay
    Feb. 19, 2010 11:04 p.m.

The redevelopment of holladay is a joke. It was the plan of people who think they know everything because they have money. It is a failure. The small town feel of holladay is gone. why would we want 3 story apartments in downtown holladay 15 feet from the street....I was in riverton the other day and the traffic was terrible. I guess that is what we are going for up here. pathetic.

• Jordan T.
    Feb. 19, 2010 4:40 p.m.

What's with the holdup, folks? What would Holladay residents rather see, a big, vacant piece of land or some brand, spanking new apartments, and shopping, along with the new tax revenue it generates for the city?

• Random
    Feb. 19, 2010 3:52 p.m.

Please, please, please put something there. There is NO shopping in that area, everything I remember from when I lived there is gone, I have no place to take my kids when I visit my parents in the Holladay area. I needed a present for some occassion when I was up there. ShopKo gets really old when that's all that is available. Please, please, please get something going in that area.

• Cowboy Partners???
    Feb. 19, 2010 11:54 a.m.

C'mon, what were you thinkin' you'd get with a company named that?