LDS vegetable program helps Bolivians

Families trained to build greenhouses, grow produce

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• Karie Clingo
    March 27, 2010 10:24 p.m.

Thank you for sharing this great story! I live in the mountains and have been wanting to grown vegetables year round but simply couldn't figure out how to heat a greenhouse all winter and keep costs down. Using the natural heat of the ground is genius! Thanks again!

• Lyle
    March 11, 2010 8:41 p.m.

The coolest thing about this is that the idea can spread. Sort of like everybody teaching each other to fish.

The idea of having a longer season for fresh tomatoes is enticing isn't it?

• love it!
    March 1, 2010 12:48 p.m.

Love the underground greenhouse idea! Practical and fun! :) I think I might even like to try it for winter months-as I live in the northwest and love fresh veggies! :)

Even better, what a GREAT experience for those teaching these skills to become friends with those being taught! An added blessing I am sure~

I have found in giving of myself to others, we equally 'help' each other. In fact, the person (or people) that I am 'helping', usually teach & help me FAR more than what I am giving them.
    They teach me to be 'teachable', loving and grateful-not to mention all of their special gifts & skills they have to offer me!
    Both those who serve and those who are being served-thanks to all of you! 'Oh how we need each other'~

• hello
    Feb. 11, 2010 7:28 a.m.

Humanitarian Work is NOT a competition! I have been involved with building greenhouses in Peru for years, I love this underground greenhouse idea. When I lived in Las Vegas, we learned so much from the Catholic Community Services and the Episcopalian Services. We were able to work together for humanitarian sake. True humanitarians are not competitive for goodness sake -- their goal is work together to help others.

• getagrip
    Feb. 11, 2010 5:08 a.m.

Children! Children! Good grief! A great story about helping Bolivians get more vegetables in their diet. (It doesn't matter who is doing it, if it helps.) And suddenly a debate erupts that spoils the whole idea. Do the Bolivians really care who is helping them be healthier? It is a great program. Spend your time in more useful endeavors than in carping. Get a life! If you're a Mormon get busy and do something useful. If your not, also get busy and do something useful.

• K
    Feb. 9, 2010 6:11 p.m.

Other faith's members volunteer to organizations that aren't directly related to their church and donate money to them. Those can't be added up easy either.

I'm sure many LDS give to the Red Cross, Food for the Poor, etc.. Just like many in other faiths do the same thing, or people with no religious commitment. You can't add up those dollars either.

As a Catholic I am about to hear on Wednesday about doing works in a not boastful way, God sees them and that is enough. We are supposed to fast during lent and donate the money to feeding others.

Scouts are served in the scouting program as well as learn to servce. Actually Eagle Scouts have a knack of entering The Service, Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines at a very high rate. Scouting is good.

• E. Klinch
    Feb. 9, 2010 5:31 p.m.

Sounds like a great program. Great story.

Comments about some comments here, in case anybody wonders...

LDS members give a lot of hours of time as unpaid Scout leaders, supporters, parents, facilitators...Something hard to quantify when counting donations or popcorn sales.

LDS, I think, make up 25 percent of Scouts nationally, while being a mere 2 % of the whole population. Perhaps that is off, maybe it only is in reference to Eagle Scouts. Either way, not bad.

Also, a lot of Scout professional administrators are way overpaid in my opinion. 150,000 per year? More?

Wow.

Anyway, on a religious note:

LDS (Mormons) are Christians. They are a restored church, as is believed, from the Church of Jesus from antiquity.

Therefore, Christians have done great (and bad) things since 30 AD, and Jews before them, who Christians, all of us including Muslims, originate from.

I hope, I really pray that that makes sense and it is understood why I wrote it.

No offense meant, just sheer knowledge attempted to be imparted.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

I love to learn about everything.

Like poor Bolivians implementing a new way to eat and sustain themselves, naturally.

How cool.

• K
    Feb. 9, 2010 4:29 p.m.

By the way, I don't hate your church. Just was irritated at some of the comments posted.

Not all faith groups are welcome in every country/village. It's even more beneficial that multiple faiths do humanitarian type work. Hopefully places that need help will accept one or more outside groups to help problem solve the situation. Obviously it can't just be governments helping. Private and faith based do better at long terms needs. Governments do better with rescue and security.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 9, 2010 3:46 p.m.

All this LDS talk is laughable. everything turns into a LDS debate

• Cats
    Feb. 9, 2010 3:01 p.m.

Clearly Joe Bennett is NOT LDS and is only writing to try and disparage the LDS Church. That is really petty, immature and hateful.

The LDS Church does an incredible amount of work to help others and often works with Catholic Charities, Muslim Relief and other organizations.

The resources the Church has are used in the way the Lord designates...not based on what we, as individuals, think should be done with it. It is used to help God's children in other countries as well as the US and is used to help both LDS and non LDS.

Haters will always find some way to attack the Church. These people hate themselves so much that they have to find some way to try and make themselves feel better. It's tragic.

• K
    Feb. 9, 2010 1:35 p.m.

First off the potato is a vegetable. They taught church members primarily and some others how to build greenhouses to add additional yet not yet enjoyable produce to their diet. Fine. Good.

Other churches spend far more time and effort and membership than the LDS just because the LDS church is smaller. And as the article points out sometimes members are receiving the assistance.

I'm Catholic and in our own churches have measured out food formula to be but into packets for overseas use. Most organizations that send food overseas is surplus US food and the organization merely provides transport and distribution. Other times food is bought within the community served to stimulate the local economy.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 9, 2010 12:27 p.m.

Active LDS Church members don't make such comments about other churches, in my experience. Kind and charitable words and actions are the rule.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 9, 2010 12:10 p.m.

Ya this is just great! I have an idea~ lets start spending money to help people in our country? just a thought

• junglecat
    Feb. 9, 2010 12:02 p.m.

What a great program. I am sure the people who benefit from it could care less about all the stats and religious banter that these comments have produced. Some of you just want to to get a rise out of the rest of us. It is such a waste of your talents and time. Does it really matter? At least these people are getting the nutrition they need. And they seem to be grateful for it. I know as a parent, if I was in their shoes, I would be thanking God for any help for my family regardless of where the goodness was coming from. Which by the way comes from the same source. Our loving Heavenly Father.

• Kimberly
    Feb. 9, 2010 11:18 a.m.

I love this! What a wonderful way to help people help themselves. I have always hoped to serve a farming mission when I am older, this gives me another tool to add to my belt.

• Incan foods ...
    Feb. 9, 2010 11:17 a.m.

There are a lot of other Incan foods that should be cultivated in the Altiplano and which deserve attention by LDS welfare personnel.

Consider planting Arracacia xanthorriza which the best tuber I have ever eaten. It is commercially cultivated in Brazil.

• Youngcito
    Feb. 9, 2010 10:53 a.m.

I got way tired of eating nothing but meat and potatoes when I lived there. I was becoming worried that my posterity would become short, stalky people like Bolivians in the Altiplano. This is a great, healthy development! Hopefully the concepts catch on a little more than only about 100 households.

• Joe is right
    Feb. 9, 2010 9:53 a.m.

Why don't other churches do things like this?

• Susan
    Feb. 9, 2010 9:37 a.m.

It is sad to see that instead of the comments coming regarding the underground greenhouses (good Idea by the way) it has shifted to church bashing. It is wonderful what may churches/church members are doing for the needy of the world.

• Fast Offerings
    Feb. 9, 2010 9:26 a.m.

Fast Offerings are used locally first to help your neighbors and friends. Then if there is anything left, it goes to the general Church fund to help where the need is greatest.

This is a great story! Helping families be more self-sufficient and healthier which in turn will help them be productive in their communities and help others. Paying it forward!

• Why Joe 6:07
    Feb. 9, 2010 8:40 a.m.

Joe, why cause more anger and hatred between the LDS community and others? There already seems to be a huge divide between the LDS church and others, why claim to be a Mormon and say something ridiculous just to perpetuate these problems? Your pretending to be LDS will only make people become more bitter on both sides. But, I guess that was your goal. Maybe you should have greater goals for your day

• Re: Anonymous 7:50 am
    Feb. 9, 2010 8:38 a.m.

You really are clueless, aren't you? Bigoted, too.

I've worked in the LDS welfare system, and the scope and size of it is mind-boggling. Few people truly understand how much the church does for all people worldwide because the church usually does not publish what they do.

For example, the LDS church is the only private organization which manufactures the emergency food formula designed for starving people in famines. This supply is critical because someone who has not eaten in a long time cannot digest regular food and will die if they eat too much. The formula allows them to slowly regain their strength without taxing their body.

However, I guess I shouldn't condemn you too much: Most members of the LDS Church have no idea what it does. The Church Welfare program is truly amazing.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 9, 2010 8:36 a.m.

Please this is about helping people have a better life, not about who helps most....Or maybe the question is....What can I do today to make the world a better place? How can I show God's love to others?
    Blessings!

• Not fooled
    Feb. 9, 2010 8:25 a.m.

The first post was obviously written by someone with little regard for the LDS church and was intended to make church members look bad. Don't be fooled.

• To Anonymous | 7:50
    Feb. 9, 2010 8:14 a.m.

" The little the LDS does(and only to their own members)"

I know that that is a lie. Which leads me to suspect anything else you said in your comment.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 9, 2010 7:50 a.m.

to Joe,

The Catholics, Protestants, Baptists, Episcopalians, and probably many others have much better humanitarian history that the LDS. I am familiar with these 4 and have interacted with them. The little the LDS does(and only to their own members) pales in comparison to these other churches

• @JanSan
    Feb. 9, 2010 7:04 a.m.

If you want plans or ideas on building such a greenhouse there are several good books on the subject. Just go to Amazon and type in underground greenhouse. These are not a new idea but have been around for centuries. Even USU built a couple as and experiment back in the 1070's. What is novel is their application in Bolivia.

This is a wonderful project and I wish the best to those that are doing this. The Altiplano is a cold harsh enviroment being a flat desert-like plane at 13,300 feet. I lived there and the Bolivians that live there are very poor but very hard working. Year ago their average wage was less than $10 per month per family. I doubt that it has changed much.

• dgardiner
    Feb. 9, 2010 6:58 a.m.

I love this greenhouse idea. Thanks.

• question
    Feb. 9, 2010 6:32 a.m.

The point made by the first writer was that other faiths need to do what the Mormons do. How myopic and incorrect. A little knowledge of what actually goes on in the world by the Chrisitans is needed.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 9, 2010 12:19 a.m.

RE: Anonymous

The actual statistic for the amount per year that Anonymous donates to humanitarian efforts is so much more than $4 that he is justified in condeming the LDS for their lack of humanitarian donations, including those LDS who donate hundreds of thousands and in some cases millions of dollars of their own personal money to humanitarian efforts (your conclusion is distorts reality by failing to take into account that not nearly every member pays any fast offering and/or charitable contribution at all)

• Anonymous
    Feb. 8, 2010 11:36 p.m.

The actual statistic is that about $4 per member is used to pay for humanitarian efforts per year. With about 13 million members that would total about $52 million. I imagine that is about 20 per cent of one fast offering donation. That seems like a tiny drop in the bucket compared to what each person donates in a year. I personally think we could up the amount given around the world without having to be asked to donate more in order to do it.

• JanSan
    Feb. 8, 2010 9:23 p.m.

I am TRULY EXCITED about this program and the protential that it has in helping MANY people not only in that area. I agree.. this can be done almost anywhere.. almost..
    I wish that they would give more information on the plans of how to build this.
    I think that the LDS do a lot to help people where they can. As an LDS member I am grateful to read articles like this... but, I am also aware and am just as grateful for the things that I hear that other religions do to help those in need. I don't look as this as a competition to see which church does more.. People that is PRIDEFUL! get over it. Just love God in your own and each in their own way help those who are less fortunate then us.

• veggie lover
    Feb. 8, 2010 8:52 p.m.

What a great program that is benefitting many of God's children in that area, regardless of religious affiliation. I agree with Just a Dad...just love each other! if someone doesn't agree with our (LDS) beliefs, then...ok - we love you anyway. It's really not hard people!

• hbeckett
    Feb. 8, 2010 8:22 p.m.

sounds like that could work anywhere, even at my house, thank you

• Just a Dad
    Feb. 8, 2010 8:12 p.m.

How come this always has to get into "others do or others dont do"... Cant we just all get along.... Gee... I wonder what "love one another" means...
    (I dont think Christ ever said, lets argue about stuff till our teeth fall out)... If all you choose to do is hate and fight, you wont get far.

• excuse me
    Feb. 8, 2010 7:24 p.m.

But long before Mormons helped other people, the Christians were there first. Look it up. Good grief, get some knowledge before your write.

• Eye Dee Ten Tee
    Feb. 8, 2010 7:21 p.m.

Hey, Joe. Other churches do put in the time, effort and money. There are many areas we LDS members fall far behind. Example: Boy Scouts. More than 16% of scouts are in LDS troops. LDS troops pay less than 5% of the fees. That includes funds raised with popcorn sales. Everytime I hear that statistic I am ashamed.

• Joe Bennett
    Feb. 8, 2010 6:07 p.m.

Wonderful story. If only other churches or organization put in the time, effort and money the Latter-day Saints do then perhaps this could all be remedied. We have set the example and we are still waiting for others to step up a follow.