Shepherding the team: Chaplain for Utah Jazz inspires and counsels

Chaplain for Utah Jazz inspires and counsels

• scodyshootfight (KC)
    Feb. 7, 2010 7:28 a.m.

Love the story. Great to see how good of a guy Korver is.

• Californian #[email protected]
    Feb. 6, 2010 9:12 p.m.

*** ...one Hall of Fame NBA coach – the Rev. Lewis declined to disclose his name – does not allow any of his players to attend chapel when his team is in town. He doesn't allow it at home games, either, unless it is at least three hours prior to the game and held off site.

"He says it detracts from the players' focus," the pastor says... **

This is a coach who may not "get it" that true religion is the kind where God is the focus of your life and not just a distraction. It's the kind of religion you live, not just the kind that cuts into your life for a couple hours once a week.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 6, 2010 6:48 p.m.

Why focus on who it could be?? That won't change anything. Let's just have respect and admiration for those out there who are trying to lead by example and do the right thing.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 6, 2010 10:58 a.m.

the NBA coach who is controlling of his players could be Larry Brown

• Anonymous
    Feb. 6, 2010 9:40 a.m.

Great story. I wish there were more of these types of stories in the news.

I doubt it's Jackson. He's encourages meditation and self reflection.

• Re: Gotta be Phil
    Feb. 5, 2010 10:32 p.m.

"That coach" may not necessarily be Phil Jackson. Both of his parents were very active ministers in Montana, and alot of his psychological stratagems come from his religious upbringing. And even if it is Phil Jackson, I don't think it's right to view it negatively. There's a time for worship, solitude and sanctuary and a time for physical and mental preparation for performance. His decision should be respected.

I'm a pianist, and though I do pray before performances, I'm not sitting in a prayer meeting having worship service directly before each performance. I'm practicing and focusing on the music in a practice room for hours.

Let each organization decide what is best for their players, and respect should be made on both sides. That being said, I'm very glad to hear about this chaplain service available in the NBA. I hope the players take full advantage and keep religion in their hearts.

Deron Williams just keeps getting better and better in my eyes. His trip to UVU to honor Ronnie Price, his work in the Utah community, etc. He truly cares about service and standing up to be a good NBA citizen.

• Great story!
    Feb. 5, 2010 7:06 p.m.

Our NBA favorites are human after all. :P J/K

Keeping hitting those treys Brother Korver!

Amen.

• Gary S.
    Feb. 5, 2010 6:30 p.m.

Wow, you learn something new every day. NBA chaplains? Good idea. Thanks for an interesting story.

• NeVada fan
    Feb. 5, 2010 6:17 p.m.

I need to give korver a break! I like his morals, and he is starting to rain some 3's

• Gotta be Phil
    Feb. 5, 2010 6:03 p.m.

With all that Xen master stuff, no time for service