2 Mormon missionaries die in natural gas leak in Romania

• NVNative Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 19, 2011 7:45 a.m.

As a child, I used to ask my dad why bad things happened to good people. I believe he was quoting but used to say, "when a house falls, some of the bricks fall on the righteous". I didn't really understand it at the time but have had many opportunities to digest it since then. One of the great things about the Gospel is knowing that this life is not the end and death is merely a doorway to eternity. In spite of this knowledge, it is never easy to lose someone. We can only try to lean on the Lord for comfort and peace. Prayers and thoughts are with the families.

• elder szauter antoniu
    Feb. 22, 2010 4:33 a.m.

im a romanian and i serve a mission at this time in scotland. i was o sad to hear about those two great missionaries who dedicated thier lifes with all their harts for the savior. i pray for all of those who stand in need of comfort at this time. mey the lord bless you.

• Jo Ann Stewart
    Feb. 12, 2010 8:06 p.m.

Completely broken hearted at this news. I have twins serving in Peru and my mother's heart is with the families of these dear missionary families who have lost their beloved sons. Spent the day at the temple praying for them. I send my heartfelt love and prayers!!!!

Feb. 9, 2010 1:27 p.m.

la vida es tan fragil, no sabemos cuando seremos llamados, pero si de algo estamos seguros, es que algun dia volveremos a ver a nuestros seres queridos, y sabemos que ellos estan cumpliendo la voluntad del Padre tambien ahora, el dolor pasara, y la pena se disipara, y solo Dios podra hacer esto posible, es mi oracion que llegue el amor y paz a sus hogares para que sus padres puedan ,obtener el consuelo , del vacio que dejaron en sus hogares, mas recuerden siempre que ellos estaran en sus corazones, ellos viviran para siempre,...

• peter paniti
    Feb. 6, 2010 1:32 a.m.

i am a member of the mourning branch in timisoara the place of the tragedy.i became a close frien of elder davis who prayed for me and visited me at home when i was fighting depression.after his last visitat the begining of jan at that very evening i recovered from depression.at the begining of this week i was in depression again in alba iulia when i heard at the news about the tragedy,i call president price,i talk with michell his wife about them.after i cried silently on the street.i felt something very special and in a minute i recovered again from depression.today i am turning back to timisoara,tomorow i have a lesson at the sunday school,and i am ready to continue thei noble mission to bring people to Christ.
    please if frends or family read this sand me some photos with them because i want to ask my frien stefan popa popa's the world gretest cartoonist(also a great portretist to make a painting with them and to send it to their familys.
    panitimp@yahoo.com 0040724309408 0040740151647

Feb. 5, 2010 8:35 p.m.

This is truly a tragedy...please accept my prayers for all the families and those that served with these two young men...I cannot even imagine how their families feel with this loss...without the understanding of the gospel how could anyone deal with such a loss..

• Dina
    Feb. 5, 2010 6:17 p.m.

My eyes are full of tears while I write. It is so sad. I express my love for them and their families. They were doing the Lord's work. Let God bless their families with the strength they need.

• Doina Biolaru
    Feb. 3, 2010 2:08 p.m.

I am a romanian LDS member from Bucharest, Romania,District, and I am deeply sorry for the loss of our two dearest missionaries.The romanian members are grateful for their wonderful service and sacrifice.
    I pray that the Lord'blessings will be with their families during this time of terrible grief.
    I extend my love and my prayers to the Mission President and to the all missionaries serving in Bucharest Mission. May the Lord bless and comfort them with strength to continue their work of spreading the Gospel - this sacred work which has begun in Romania 20 years ago (on 9 february 1991, when elder Russel M. Nelson dedicated the land of Romania).

• chris bownass
    Feb. 3, 2010 3:34 a.m.

felt terribly sorry for two great young lads who died doing the lords work.rest in peace.

• sorry
    Feb. 2, 2010 6:46 p.m.

I met some missionaries a couple of years ago in Romania. I am heart broken that this tragedy occured.

I am not a Mormon. But I feel the pain.

• Yuko Taipe
    Feb. 2, 2010 6:20 p.m.

All my love to their families. My two brothers are missionaries right now, one of them is serving in Colombia and the other one is serving in Argentina. They are both so far from us but our heart is resting in Our Heavenly Father's love. I can't imagine how hard is this for the missionaries families, but I also know that one they they are going to be together forever. All our respect, all our love.

• Krista
    Feb. 2, 2010 3:33 p.m.

Hey Jace!
    Thanks for coming through to me today. Really. I know that you were doing the Lord's work in Romania, and continue to do so all over the world.

To those reading this... Jace is my cousin. He's an amazing person and had such a strong and charismatic spirit. I wish I could have known him better than I did, but I'm grateful for the times I did get to spend with him. All I can really say is, I second what Cirq said on page 3. Jace is a hero, and I've already sent a letter to President Monson.

I love you, Jace!!!

Love,
    Krista

Feb. 2, 2010 3:32 p.m.

My own son left yesterday to serve in the Brazil Recife Mission. I cannot fathom what a blow it would be to get a phone call with this information. My thoughts and prayers are with these two wonderful families--in my own, small way, I grieve with them.

These two obviously choice and wonderful young men will finish out their missions in a place where many more will be receptive to their message. God bless and keep these families as they grieve.

• Mary Bridget
    Feb. 2, 2010 3:26 p.m.

I'm not of your faith, but have tremendous respect for LDS. My heart is heavy with sadness and there are no words to heal your broken hearts. My prayers are with you. When my Mother died, I had printed on the thank you cards what I really believe:
    Although we will miss her love and laughter, we rejoice in her beginning her Eternal life with the Risen Christ.
    Your boys are home. As Christians, we are forever people-you WILL see them again.

• virginia
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:17 p.m.

The people of the Navajo Nation grieves with you in your loss of these most valiant servants of God. We too, have some of our young men and young women in the mission field. God bless you.

• Teri Williams
    Feb. 2, 2010 9:31 a.m.

It is always sad to hear that a missionary dies in the mission field. However, I know their spirits go to the spirit world and continue their teachings there. My roommate died in the mission field years ago and her pachiachael blessing indicated that she would serve two missions. Three weeks before her washington d.c. mission was up, she got bit by a snake and died. We all believed that she was met to go and continued being a missionary in the spirit world. These two missionaries, I believe, are still alive and are continuing their missionary work over there now. And we will all see them again someday.

• a mom
    Feb. 2, 2010 2:33 a.m.

My son just got home from a mission in Bulgaria. He is my third son to have gone far and served one. I as a mother know that when they are far from home as they were,serving the Lord as were these two elders in Romania, they are guarded by Angels. However, it does not take away the pain of losing one so young and while doing such an honorable service. But hopefully all of our prayers WILL bring comfort to their families. Thank you for giving your sons to the work of the Lord.May you find peace and may our Heavenly Father envelope you in his love.

• Spencer
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:06 p.m.

I am sincerely sorry to the Burrows. I know their younger son well. And hope that the Lord will be with them through this hardship.

• Jennifer Miles
    Feb. 1, 2010 5:22 p.m.

My son returned from the Romania Bucharest mission last June and knew and worked with Elder Davis. He spoke highly of Elder Davis and said that he was excellent missionary and devoted to the work of the Lord. My son also served and lived in the area where they were serving. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of these two elders and pray that they will find hope and comfort and peace at this time.

• Stats
    Feb. 1, 2010 5:06 p.m.

Perhaps some accidents could be prevented, but they happen. (That's why they are called "accidents.") But if you look at the number of young missionaries serving at any given time, you will see that the total number is comparable to or somewhat larger than the population of a large university.

The number of missionaries who die in accidents in the course of a year is probably not much different from the number of BYU or U of U students who die in a the same year. And many missionaries are serving in places with lower standards for health or safety than Provo or Salt Lake.

That said, there may be some considerations that could be implemented that could make missionaries safer. But the trauma of these two deaths should not make people forget the comparable dangers one faces daily even along the Wasatch front. Young people (and not-so-young) die in accidents at fairly predictable rates in the US.

These two deaths are very, very sad--but out of tens of thousands of missionaries serving worldwide they do not point to some kind of inordinately high death rate. The numbers simply don't indicate such.

• Beverly Jameson
    Feb. 1, 2010 4:57 p.m.

I am a convert to the church and I thank God everyday for my membership and the sacrifice my missionaries made in teaching me. I too, now have a son serving in England. My heart is sad for the loss for the families. Thank you to all the missionaries who have gone before and who will yet go to bring the sweet peace of the purpose of life and the restoration of God's true church to others like me. We know God lives and he loves us and those two "choice" young men are with the one they have served the most, our Savior Jesus Christ.

• Linda - Australia
    Feb. 1, 2010 4:40 p.m.

My love and prayers extended to both families. Such an utter heartbreak - may angels attend you all as you strive to comprehend and manage such a loss.

• Annymous
    Feb. 1, 2010 2:41 p.m.

I too have a son serving far away. I can not tell you how this story has affected me this day. May the Lord send his comforter to you at this time and the many months ahead. We pray for you.

• Joan
    Feb. 1, 2010 2:39 p.m.

The Davis family are an important part of our community. Our prayers are extended in this time of sorrow and our faith is that the comforter may be with you and comfort you in your time of sorrow. We love you and will miss Jace (Elder Davis) as a part of the community and stake. To the Burrows family we send our love and prayers and hope your faith in Jesus Christ can sustain you in this time.

• Arizonan
    Feb. 1, 2010 2:23 p.m.

Although I don't know these young men, I've shed some tears and offered my prayers today too on behalf of the families and friends of these deceased missionaries. May the Lord give them his comfort and peace.

• Will be missed...
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:48 p.m.

I graduated with Elder burrows.... He was a really hard working student, and an amazing person, he could allways make anyone laugh! May the lord be with these familys. And McKay, thankyou for lifting me up, even when our crazzy english honors teacher had nothing to do but scold us haha :) I know you are doing great things right now

• Jonathan
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:10 p.m.

Aloha,

I am very sorry to hear this. I pray for the families of these two missionaries will be comforted.

At the same time, I know that sometimes its hard to prevent this kind of tragedy happen but I really hope that the mission and the church will really look into this matter and take extra precautions in order to prevent from happening again in future. I never been to Romania so I don't really understand how is the housing situation there. If this already happen in the past, then I think there is should a way that missionaries should be living in an environment where there will be no threats of this kind gas leaking problem at all. Is that possible? I believe so but the leaders should figure it out then.

Mahalo,
    Jonathan

• Tina S
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:49 a.m.

Elder Davis' family lived next to my parents prior to moving out of Las Vegas. They are truly an amazing and loving family. My nephew is on a Mission in South Korea and knew Jace growing up. He will be devestated to hear of this. My heart and prayers go out to Elder Davis and Elder Burrows families.

• Ann Later Campell
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:24 a.m.

Words can never express what the heart feels. People want to say something and they are just words that do not comfort. Time and Prayer is all we have for moments like this. I too have a son serving and pray for his safety continually but even knowing the risks it is of little comfort when sons are called Home so young. My faith in the Savior and knowledge of a Father in Heaven who loves us is where peace lives. Knowing we will see each other again is a gift we need to be willing to share as these two brave young men sealed with their testimonies. My prayers are with the parents, families and fellow missionaries. May you be comforted with the love that surrounds you from milliions who pray for you.

A Mom of one who serves

• Every LDS parents nightmare
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:00 a.m.

This is every LDS parents nightmare.... to send their precious son off to the mission field and have him return in a coffin. My son returned about 2 years ago from his mission and I can certainly understand the anxiety a parent feels until the plane finally touches down safely at home. My heart goes out to both of these poor families at the loss of their wonderful sons. I'm sure these elders did nothing wrong and had no idea the apartment had issues with the gas. Honestly I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often simply because the accommodations for missionaries are pretty scary in many parts of the world. I think the Church could and should do more to make sure the accommodations are the very best available in the area and are checked regularly for gas, electric , and other problems.

• Former Bucharest Missionary
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:49 a.m.

I returned a few months ago. I knew Elder Burrows. I remember the day he came into the field --he was so sweet and good, excited about the work, dynamic, smart... the Romanian girls all thought he was adorable. With the more primitive set-ups they have over there, I understand how this accident, while totally unnecessary, could happen. To his family: I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• James Alexander
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:43 a.m.

I was a missionary in Dallas Texas in 1975 when two fellow missionaries were butchered by a taxidermist and spread over the country side. The only thing they found was a piece of a name tag. This murderer then fled to England after a technicality in his trial led to his release. Just a few years ago he was arrested in England on a weapons charge and then extradited to the USA to stand trial again because new evidence was produced. My heart goes out to these two families for I have experienced sorrow 35 years ago. I take comfort in knowing these two fine young men died because of an accident and not malicious intent.

• JoEllyn
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:28 a.m.

Our prayers and our hearts go out to these two families who will miss the physical presence of their sons so much. I'm sure these two valiant young men are still serving faithfully on the other side and will watch over their earthly familes. May blessings of peace comfort you all.

• EX-LDS
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:49 a.m.

What a horrible thing to happen...six months before i finished my mission our mission lost a missionary and i lost my best friend...its been almost 20 years and i still think about him and still miss him. my thoughts and prayers go out to the parents of this brave young men.

• Warren Pugh
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:25 a.m.

They didn't 'give' their lives, they were taken. I almost lost the only woman I have ever loved while serving in Romania when she experienced a TIA. In a primitive hospital in Ploesti she was given the best 'first aid' before being sent to Frankfurt where her opportunity for survival without long term effects was prolonged.

The apartment owners (managers) refused to refund our incredibly inflated rent money. Romania is desparate for the American dollar . . .at any cost.

WASP

• Lynette
    Feb. 1, 2010 7:39 a.m.

No mother should have to bury her child.

It take 12 years to come to a point of not speaking every day of that child with a wail of pain. It is not an easy 12 years.

• Lynn & Cindy
    Feb. 1, 2010 6:26 a.m.

Sooo Sorry for the "loss" of your loved ones! Our thoughts and prayers are with your families. The minute they entered their missions, they were in the Lord's hands and continue to be! Hopefully, that is comfort for you and your families!

• Susan
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:25 a.m.

This is a tragic loss. Jace was a wonderful young man. He was always smiling and just a great kid. All I have read about Elder Burrows indicates he too was very valient. I pray for both families to feel our Savior's loving arms around them, and to receive comfort and strength. Their sons have left great examples and legacies for the rest of us.

• Delean
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:24 a.m.

I may not be of the LDS faith but I still feel for the families and friends of the 2 young men serving thier church and the Lord. They died a untimely death and I offer my Prayers for them. They will be reward by the Lord for the mission they were on.
    GOD BLESS THEM and watch over the family and friends of these young men.

Jan. 31, 2010 11:58 p.m.

mckay you were such an amazing kid.... i love you so much and what a great example you were to everyone you knew.. i am going to miss you so much and it wont be easy but i am glad i will be able to see you again...

Jan. 31, 2010 11:35 p.m.

You know you have the prayers of our hearts. so sorry for both families.

• Condolences
    Jan. 31, 2010 11:18 p.m.

To the Davis and Burrows families, I am saddened by what has happened. My son lived next door to Elder Burrows in the dorms and told me about what happened. He talked about the friendship they had and what a great person McKay was. I will be thinking of you and praying for you.

• Sheri in CA
    Jan. 31, 2010 10:49 p.m.

This story brought tears to my eyes, my sister, brothers and I all served missions. I could not imagine sending out a missionary and not having them return, as I felt sadness.. A spirit of peace comforted me that these two misssionaries died in the service of the lord and still have a great work to do beyond the veil. I pray the families to be comforted through this trying time. I love you and thank you for giving the ultimate sacrafice as well by sending these two to serve the lord.

• Lisa R
    Jan. 31, 2010 9:18 p.m.

To my sister and her family... You have lost your newphew, McKay. However, we didn't lose a child of God. He will rest peacefully in a special place in all of our hearts. His piano tunes will linger in our minds, his smile will rest on your shoulders and comfort you daily. I send my prayers to the Burrows family... Love you all... Lisa

• holla
    Jan. 31, 2010 9:15 p.m.

It is tragic and rare, the only thing that is comforting is that they died while in service. I have to assume great things for them and their sacrifices

• Pedro - from the Philippines
    Jan. 31, 2010 8:53 p.m.

I'm an RM and it truly makes me very very sad to hear of the accidental death of Elder Davis and Elder Burrows. Like them, I really love missionary work and would sacrifice anything to serve the Lord. May the Eternal God comfort their families. We love you, Elders!

• Sister Smith
    Jan. 31, 2010 8:30 p.m.

Oh my heart weaps for these mothers and fathers and siblings. No one expects this to happen and yet it does. GOD KNOWS ALL AND WILL BLESS ALL. May you feel PEACE, COMFORT, and JOY in Knowing GOD LOVES YOU ALL! We will weap and pray for their families. Their mission is far greater than we can imagine but oh how they will be missed by friends and family. One of my sons served in Logandale, Nevada and he knows what great people live there. Through great trials, comes great faith and a knowledge how valiant we must all live!

• Christy
    Jan. 31, 2010 8:29 p.m.

My heart goes out to the families of these two fine missionaries. May the Lord bless and keep you during your time of mourning.

• a cousin
    Jan. 31, 2010 8:19 p.m.

what a blessing it is their mission continues. I can hear them saying:

It may not be on the mountain’s height, or over the stormy sea;
    It may not be at the battle’s front my Lord will have need of me;
    But if by a still, small voice He calls to paths I do not know,
    I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in Yours,
    I’ll go where You want me to go.

• Dave M
    Jan. 31, 2010 8:01 p.m.

How incredibly sad. May God bless their families.

• A Time of Grief a time to mourn
    Jan. 31, 2010 8:00 p.m.

and a time to say Goodbye
    to those two Young Men who have served a Mission..In Death do they part a Spirit is Ever near in Christ The Lords Kingdom mending thru Our Heavens with All those Angels above =Amen=

• words cannot express
    Jan. 31, 2010 6:55 p.m.

we cannot thank the families of these missionaries enough for their faithful service. both families are being fervently prayed for. may our Father on Heaven be with you all at this terrible time of loss and reflection.

• Jimmy
    Jan. 31, 2010 6:26 p.m.

Not everyone needs as much time to complete our mission on earth. Their mission is complete and they will be able to stand before our Father and hear him say, "Well done my true and faithful servant."

How much we all hope that he will say that to us someday.

• njp
    Jan. 31, 2010 6:12 p.m.

God be with you til you meet again....

• Abby
    Jan. 31, 2010 6:08 p.m.

My heart goes out to the famlies of these two young men and I pray for their comfort and peace. I to have a son who is serving the Lord in Argentina. My thoughts and love are with you as you go through this most difficult time. May our Heavenly Father continue to bless all missionaries throughout the world.

• Mariah
    Jan. 31, 2010 6:03 p.m.

That's so sad! :(

• As the Father of a son who
    Jan. 31, 2010 5:43 p.m.

is waiting for his mission call I want the parents of these two young men to know how much we love and appreciate them and their sons for their sacrifice. There is no greater love than giving ones life for his friends. As a returned missionary myself I know that losing one's life in the physical sense in the mission field is about the farthest thing from any missionary's mind. However, losing one's life in the spiritual sense in the service of your
    God is entirely a different matter. These two young men did both. They have earned their exaltation. My God bless the two families left on the earth. Their sons await their eventual arrival. May peace be with them. Not as man giveth but as the Lord giveth.

• Sadly missed
    Jan. 31, 2010 5:39 p.m.

My heart goes out to the families of these brave, young men who died while trying to do their best. They gave their all for the cause of good. Please know that there are many who may not know your families but who are praying for peace and comfort for you.

• Former mission president
    Jan. 31, 2010 5:12 p.m.

I can assure Calgary that the Church goes to extraordinary lengths to protect the missionary. You write, "The Church needs to do a better job." You speak out of ignorance. I would ask you what do you think the Church should have done? 50,000 young missionaries are far more supervised and and looked after than any 50,000 civilians elsewhere. Risk is part of mortality, and if one is totally risk aversive, than they need to just stay put and never venture out in life. There would not be a "Gospel proclaimed to the world," if we waited until the world is safe. May the prayers of faithful Saints everywhere be answered with peace upon the grieving families.

• g stewart
    Jan. 31, 2010 5:10 p.m.

Dana, Shirley & family,we are so very sorry to hear of your sweet missionary's passing. He was a valiant young man and missionary & has just been assigned to a "different area". He came from a beautiful family. May the Lord bless you and comfort you at this hard time as well as the Elder Jace Davis' family as well. We love you - Roger & Gloria

• jcbrailsford
    Jan. 31, 2010 5:02 p.m.

The Davis family were members of our ward back in Las Vegas. Their children went to Primary with our children. The Burrows family are members of our stake here in Highland. Their children have attended school with our children. It's no surprise to me that such wonderful young men grew up in these two loving homes. To the Davises and the Burrows, I hope that all of the memories of your time with those boys, the goodness of their lives, and the nobility of their cause will bring you comfort until you're reunited with them.

• fbear again
    Jan. 31, 2010 5:01 p.m.

FYI Carbon Monoxide and natural gas are detected in different ways. So a portable CM detector would likely have done little or no good.

• Cirq
    Jan. 31, 2010 4:59 p.m.

Jace my cousin, he was and still is the coolest and kindest kid i have ever met and will always remember all the great memories we had together growing up. He is the kid of kid where when you look back and remember all the things about him and stuff that everything he did and said was good and i cant even think of one bad memory about him. He will not be forgotten

• fbear
    Jan. 31, 2010 4:57 p.m.

To "Simple Question"

Accidents can happeb, no matter how luxurious the surroundings. These young men were merely victims of something that csn hsppen in our own homes. A pilot light goes out, a string of events turns into tragedy. The parents see the service as a blessing to the men and to their families and to those they met in their service. When we go beyond the concept of a young life cut off in the bloom of youth, we see the entire picture and can understand that though bad things happen to good people, once this 15 minutes is over, all will be well for those who look at the eternal - BIG - picture.

• B. Lowe
    Jan. 31, 2010 4:50 p.m.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families at this time. I am so sorry for your loss and I pray that God will bless you. It was a great blessing that they were able to touch the lives of our Brothers and Sisters in Romania with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I pray that they will be able to continue their mission with those waiting for their message on the other side of the veil.

Jan. 31, 2010 4:35 p.m.

Although I am no longer associated with the Utah Branch of the Restoration, I did serve 2 years for it. I honor these boys for the hard work and dedication they put into sharing the Book of Mormon and Jesus Christ with the people of Romania. May their families be comforted through this tragedy

• Californian #1@94131
    Jan. 31, 2010 4:34 p.m.

Prayers for peace and comfort to the families and friends of these missionaries. A family from my ward now lives in Bucharest, and it's likely they knew these elders and are grieving along with the families.

As a teacher of youth in the Church, I've sent my young graduates into the mission field with prayers and best wishes, knowing they are ultimately in the Lord's hands. The vast majority return with honor to us. Elder Burrows and Elder Davis have returned with honor to the One who really sent them out.

• Former Romaian Missionary
    Jan. 31, 2010 3:51 p.m.

I am a post Romanian missionary of about 2 years, and although i was unable to know these elders it still touces close to home. I feel a strong connection to these elders knowing the kind of wonderful young men the Lord sends to that mission. I am confident that the Lord decided it best to call them home to a place of security, safety, love and peace. Their earthly mission finished and sealed with their testimonies! I know that rich blessing in heaven await for them and their familes.

To the annoymous commentor that asked about missionaries and blessings to them and family and how their death fits in with this:
    I am sure you are aware of how difficult life is on this earth, and that you have experienced blessings in your life. To the familes of missionaries blessings come in many different shapes and forms. For one, the knowledge that your son has an assured place in heaven, I would think, would be one of the greatest blessings. Furthermore, blessings are not just limited to this life and in our short vision of things, but extend to eternal spheres. I hope this helps provide a new perspective

• GQJ
    Jan. 31, 2010 3:45 p.m.

Our deepest sympathies go out to both families

• Bill and Janet
    Jan. 31, 2010 3:31 p.m.

To the parents of Elder Davis, and to Dana and Shirley Burrows, we send our love. We were so saddened to hear about the death of these two Elders. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

• Chris
    Jan. 31, 2010 3:27 p.m.

So very sorry for the families. May peace eventually come to them.

• Barbara Wilding
    Jan. 31, 2010 3:09 p.m.

Please acccept my heartfelt sympathy, I cannot even imagine the pain it must be to lose a child, but, he is blessed to have been in the service of his Heavenly Father - he is where the sun always shines and there is no pain - please know that your church family is always there for you - God Bless

• Las Vegas Resident
    Jan. 31, 2010 2:59 p.m.

Elder Davis' father is my eye doctor and is a one of a kind guy. He is a great man and I'm sure his son was as well. We will keep their familiy in our prayers.

• Special protection
    Jan. 31, 2010 2:37 p.m.

Stories like this go to show that missionaries don't necessarily get special protection. It's a dangerous world out there, and missionaries are not immune from the dangers. But I do not understand why missionaries, considering some of the housing they live in, are not equipped with mobile carbonmonoxide alarms.

• Calgary
    Jan. 31, 2010 2:34 p.m.

The missionary program and the peril it puts people in need to be examined. I pray for these young men and all other have have suffered similar fate BUT the church neds to do a better job. End of story... this happens musch more then need be.

• PPL
    Jan. 31, 2010 2:29 p.m.

What a waste. The church need to do better in protecting and preparing these people. We have seen this to much.

• RE: Simple Question
    Jan. 31, 2010 2:23 p.m.

Great question. While these deaths made the news, a huge majority of blessings are highly personal and sacred and rarely make the news. It would be a tender interview indeed to visit with these missionaries' families and ask them how their lives are different because of their sons' service.

While there will be much mourning due to the deaths of these two young men, we do not view death as the end of our existence. As one prophet in the Book of Mormon wrote, "(T)he spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life."

That is an amazing blessing.

While mortal protection can be a blessing, not all blessings are mortal protection.

• Karen
    Jan. 31, 2010 1:57 p.m.

Our son is also serving in Romania and went into the MTC the same day as Elder Burrows and arrived in Bucharest with him in August 2009. Our deepest sympathy to the families of Elder Burrows and Elder Davis. We are also grieving for the Presidency and all the missionaries serving in Romania who are struggling over this loss of two from their missionary family.

• RE: Simple Question
    Jan. 31, 2010 1:51 p.m.

My grandmother and her companion were murdered on their mission several years ago while serving(both age 60+) This area was very cold to the church before that. As a result of this tragedy, hearts were softened and doors were opened and the missionary work fourished. Who knows the countless lives that were blessed as a result. Some people say God works in mysterious ways, but the fact is that we all have our free agency. If God picks and chooses whom he spares in all the different types of tragedies then his plan would be flawed. It is a tragedy what has happened to the two yound men. Alot of the blessings that might come as a result of this, depend on what families and loved ones and even those in the Romanian community choose to do with their free agency when dealing with this loss. God is loving and merciful and will comfort and uplift, even bless those who have been effected by this sad event. Knowing that Christ atoned not only for our sins but he suffered for all manner of afflictions, so we dont have to bear this alone. God bless these two families.

• Mel
    Jan. 31, 2010 1:28 p.m.

They could have do so much in this life for God, but now will never have the chance. One can only hope that their tragic deaths will spark an increased interest in making missionaries' apartments safer.

• Bri-Ann
    Jan. 31, 2010 1:11 p.m.

I went to highschool with Jace not knowing him on a deep level but talking everyonce in a while. He was always a person that I remember having a smile on his face and I know he will be missed greatly. I send my deepest sympathy to his family.

• No name
    Jan. 31, 2010 12:45 p.m.

LDS members from Romania are grieving and pray for the families of our two missionary friends. We are all in shock and our hearts are broken. Our thoughts and prayers go out the their families and dear ones.

• Susan
    Jan. 31, 2010 12:27 p.m.

I used to live in the Davis' neighborhood. We were close friends. They are an awesome family, and Jace will be missed. A little of Jace will be found in all who had the opportunity to know him.You are in my prayers and may God be with you at this difficult time and bless you.

• Observer
    Jan. 31, 2010 12:26 p.m.

for:Another Romanian Missionary at 10:15

Thank you. The verses are from the Book of Wisdom Chapter 4. Verses 7,8 and 9. ( New American Bible)

• Former Romanian Missionary
    Jan. 31, 2010 12:11 p.m.

My heart goes out to the families of these young men. I served my mission there in Romania a few years back and in fact in the city of Timisoara where these 2 missionaries died. The members there are devastated. I never even thought of the danger of the apartments there and the gas. Many of the stoves and ovens are gas and run on tanks that have to be replaced every so often. I never even thought of the dangers associated with that or even the central gas in the buildings. I pray and hope that even though it is sad a sad day for all that knew these missionaries that their passing may be a great source of further missionary work in that city.

I watched the Timisoara news in Romania this morning and I hope and pray many in that city and in Romania were watching and listening and may open their hearts to the church even from their story being broadcast on their local news.

• Tracy
    Jan. 31, 2010 11:51 a.m.

I have a daughter who served a mission in Idaho, a son who served in Mexico, and now have a son serving in Arizona. As a parent, you pray for their success, their happiness, and their safety. You trust in the Lord, and ask that His will be dine. We cannot always know the mind and will of God, but just as our children serve the Lord by serving others, we, too, can serve. We mourn with those who mourn. I mourn with the families who have temporarily lost their loved ones. My prayer is that the Lord will comfort you as you grieve, and may you find strength to endure the heartache. Thank you for the service of your sons, and for their, and your, sacrifices.

• Lightedprayers4 t`2 Missionaries
    Jan. 31, 2010 11:20 a.m.

Do not be sad for me
    My soul and my spirit
    departed into my new life~
    Being Reunited into
    the light with Christ..

Your death is much to sad
    Much sympathy and warm prayers
    for all your family and friends
    Rest in peace ElderMckay&ChoyBurrows

• To : A Mom
    Jan. 31, 2010 11:14 a.m.

Thank you for sharing.

One of my favorite sayings is that if we could just look at a person and see the saddest moment of their lives, there would be no more hate or contention or war.

Each of us has suffered loss, disappointment and anguish. Why we as a society can't all be more empathetic and patient with each other, I don't understand.

I am so sorry for your loss and I appreciate you taking the time to post your comment.

• RE: Simple Question
    Jan. 31, 2010 11:11 a.m.

There have been many good answers to your question. It is one that I have asked myself before when a boy from my high school was hit by a train while on his mission.

I think it comes down to how we view death. In this world we view death as a tragedy. And while it is tragic for those of us left behind to miss those who died, it is NOT a tragedy for the ones returning to their heavenly home. They are blessed to return to a place where their earthly struggles and trials are over and they are able to progress in a peaceful environment.

My brother's death in May provided this perspective to me that death can be a great blessing for those who died even though it is hard for us.

The Lord determined that these young men had fulfilled their purpose on this earth and brought them home to Him. I am sorry for their families who will miss them greatly but rejoice for them.

Jan. 31, 2010 11:09 a.m.

i have lost a 18 year old daughter, the pain never goes away. To the families all i can say is famlies are forever. I know i will be with my sweet little girl again. And so will you. My prayers

• Rick Jones
    Jan. 31, 2010 11:00 a.m.

I just spoke with a friend who personally new Elder Burrows, She relayed this story this morning and said her ward is devasted by the news. She is in romania. RIP elders

• Re:Simple question | 12:38 a.m.
    Jan. 31, 2010 10:45 a.m.

You asked a sincere question, so I will try a sincere answer.

"Why aren't these missionaries afforded more protection, considering they are out there doing God's work?"

My father served in a foreign land, often going from farm to farm "without purse or script" relying on the graciousness of strangers, which was common since the days of Christ's Apostles.

I served in a foreign land and pushed the envelope of safety, riding bikes in blizzards on freeways.

I then served in the military abroad in peacetime as an MP, with much closer supervision than missionaries ever receive & watched many perish. I learned that in peacetime, it is safer for a young man or women to be abroad in the military than at home.

Late teens and early twenties are not a safe age, with car accidents, drownings, avalanche, suicide, etc., many perish. Missionaries are much safer than any group I know, but there are still some who perish.

As a father with a missionary headed abroad, we feel blessings beyond this life, that change us all for the better. Some blessings are spiritual and fill us with peace. I hope you understand.

• Re: Simple question
    Jan. 31, 2010 10:26 a.m.

Read the story of Abinadi in the Book of Mormon (it's found in MOSIAH Chapter 16-17). Abinadi, a prophet, died while serving a mission. The story does not address your question in its entirety, but it does provide some insight into the way God protects missionaries.

• Sad in Texas
    Jan. 31, 2010 10:20 a.m.

My heart and prayers go out the families of the deceased missionaries.

I believe in God, but I don't know all the reasons bad things sometimes happen to good people.

However, this isn't the first time that one of God's servants has died while on a mission.

Abinadi, a Prophet in the Book of Mormon, was burned to death while on a mission. Sometimes I wonder how Abinadi's family felt about this death and if their faith was tested.

• artbros
    Jan. 31, 2010 10:15 a.m.

After losing his wife to cancer after three years of joyful marriage, C.S. Lewis, (perhaps the foremost Christian apologist in the last century) suffered mightily, mourning her loss. Her death mirrored the loss of his mother to cancer when he was a boy. He wrote that in his grief he never doubted that God existed, but began to wonder if He was a loving God -- his book, "A Grief Obsereved" illuminates the nearly overwhelming pain of a shreaded soul as she was taken from him. It made no sense until, after months of sorrow, his soul's cry slowed enough to ask, "What is God trying to teach me? What has HE lost that is anything like this?" And suddenly it became very clear that in some small way his loss may have helped him understand what God felt as his own son suffered and died.

Healing and comfort slowly spread from there.

It is ours to "mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort." (Mosiah 18:9) May the Lord of Sabbath bless, comfort and keep us all as we mourn with you.

Jan. 31, 2010 10:15 a.m.

I am so sad to hear of this! I grew up with McKay and he was such a great guy! Always happy!!! We will miss him greatly! We love the Burrows they are a great family!

• Another Romanian Missionary
    Jan. 31, 2010 10:15 a.m.

To Observer:
    That really was a beautiful verse! I'd like to keep it, what is the reference?

To Simple Question:
    It is easy to ask that question, but having served in Romania, and knowing how many times we brush against death (all of us, not just missionaries), it is amazing more of us don't die out there. Consider, when I was out, about ten years ago, there were 68,000 at the same time. How many of them died? None in that 18 month span. Could you say that for any other population of 68,000 19 to 23 year olds? Probably not.

Think Martin Luther King Jr. Thank Gandhi. How many good people die while serving others? This is just life . . .

• So sad
    Jan. 31, 2010 10:13 a.m.

A missionary died in my mission in Peru about 6 years ago and everyone feels it. So sorry to hear this.

• BobP
    Jan. 31, 2010 10:03 a.m.

It is impossible to avoid all risk. Bad things happen to good people, but as a parent losing a child in such circumstances is sad but tempered by the fact that the child was doing the Lord's will.

• Former Romania Missionary
    Jan. 31, 2010 9:56 a.m.

It's really sad, but thinking back on the apartments in Romania that I had to live in for two years, it's surprising that it took 20 years for this to happen. There are plenty of nice, well-maintained apartments in Romania, but for some reason we persist in terribly dilapidated apartments. I'm sorry for the families and the missionaries, and I feel lucky that it didn't happen to me.

• Megara7
    Jan. 31, 2010 9:38 a.m.

TO BOB ALLEN, who posted above--those missionaries who died 25 years ago or so in Bolivia--one of them was my best friend's boyfriend--Kevin Bons--you knew him? The boy who died who is from Nevada is a current friend's son. I've thought a lot about my old friend because of this current tragedy. My heart aches for my friend.

• Peace be to their souls
    Jan. 31, 2010 9:32 a.m.

May God bless those wonderful missionarys and their families

• Carolyn
    Jan. 31, 2010 9:29 a.m.

I am visiting in Romania and a tearful sister missionary told my daughter and I about Elder Davis and Elder Burrows. The members of this small branch in Brasov are so saddened. Our prayers for comfort go out to the families, fellow missionaries, their mission president and his wife. We know that the fervent prayers from this part of the mission are in your behalf as well. We hope you can feel the love that people you don't even know, have for your sons. We extend to you our tender feelings of sympathy and also our gratitude for the service given.

• Terry VW
    Jan. 31, 2010 9:26 a.m.

So sorry to hear of the death of these two great Elders. My sympathies to both families. I know the parents of the one from Highland, Utah. The mom served in the same mission as me at around the same time. I am sure both are in the Spirit World continuing teaching the Gospel to those there. God be with you at this time. Such tragedies should not happen but they do and we are strengthened by them. God lives, Jesus Christ lives. The Gospel is beautifully simple and the Gospel is simply beautiful.

• a mom
    Jan. 31, 2010 9:21 a.m.

Dear Simple Question,
    That is a fair question, and one I have faced. Though my son didn't die while serving a mission, my husband did. I am a widow, raising 6 children. I wondered where the "blessing" was in that. When my next son prepared to serve, I wondered if I could survive another such "blessing." There are basically 2 choices that I had - 1) be angry and bitter and turn away from God, or 2) do all that I could to draw nearer to God and allow him to bless me with understanding and healing. At the time of my husband's death, the scripture that ran constantly through my mind was "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." (Proverbs 3:5)This has been an exercise in trust, and a longing to come closer to Christ, who came to "heal the broken-hearted." (Luke 4:18) The truth is, He does protect his missionaries. We also know that we don't have all understanding, but he does, and we trust.

• absolutely amazing
    Jan. 31, 2010 8:45 a.m.

that with all the missionaries the LDS church has out in the various countries of the world, young kids mostly - that more accidents like this don't happen.

Best Wishes, thoughts and prayers for the families of the 2 young men.

• Missionary Mom
    Jan. 31, 2010 8:39 a.m.

Our deepest thoughts and prayers of sympathy and condolences go out to these valiant faithful servants' families. May The Spirit of Lord be with you all. Blessings and Prayers

• Tracy
    Jan. 31, 2010 8:39 a.m.

Death is always hard, but think of the missionary work that they will be doing in Heaven. All those from Haiti, that have died without the gospel and now these two missionaries will continue their work.

• Brandon
    Jan. 31, 2010 8:24 a.m.

McKay was my immediate neighbor in Highland for many years and was such a great, kind, responsible person. I ran into him on BYU campus last year and he was so friendly and outgoing. I know he was a great missionary, and he will be very missed at home and in Romania. Dana and Shirley, my sincere condolences and my heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

-Brandon B.

• Christina
    Jan. 31, 2010 8:18 a.m.

My thoughts and prayers are with both families at this time!

• Alin Constantinescu
    Jan. 31, 2010 7:46 a.m.

This morning, just before branch presidency meeting the sister missionaries came to our office with tears in their eyes giving us this sad news. It struck us, though those Elders never served in our branch. How much more terrible this tragedy is to their families and friends! Our sincere condoleances from Constanta branch to their families.
    Their service is not over. Of that we are most certain.

• Linda
    Jan. 31, 2010 7:44 a.m.

This earth llife doesn't come with a "guarantee" that we will all live to a ripe old age. These two missionaries were doing what they were called to do; faithfully serving a mission. It's hard to comprehend that they were actually called home while doing the Lords' will but they are in the best of hands and they live on, serving the Lord, in the Spirit World. My heart goes out to their families. May the Lord comfort, bless and bring them peace during this trying time in their lives.

• Audrey and George
    Jan. 31, 2010 7:39 a.m.

We love your family so much. We feel your loss, and send our love to all of you. You are such a blessing in our lives.

• MLM
    Jan. 31, 2010 7:38 a.m.

This is hard to read especially when I have a son preparing to go on a mission. But Elder Oakes said that our young men are safer on a mission at this age then anywhere else they could be. God speed!

• gp
    Jan. 31, 2010 7:03 a.m.

May the Lord bless the families of this missionaries,they died in the Lords work and they already full-fill a worthy mission and for sure they have more work in the order side,they are wonderful children of Heavenly Father.

Jan. 31, 2010 6:59 a.m.

The article says that "Davis" was an honor student at Lone Peak High School. I think you mean "Burrows", seeing as how Lone Peak is in Highland.

• Clarifications
    Jan. 31, 2010 6:04 a.m.

The article said that Elder Burrows was from Highland, Utah. But then it says that Elder Davis attended Lone Peak High School.

Which statement is correct?

Also, someone posted that missionaries should have carbon-monoxide detectors. That would NOT have helped in this case, since the article states that the problem was a GAS LEAK. Unfortunately, CO Detectors don't detect raw gas.

Deepest condolences on behalf of ALL members of the church, worldwide. We are all praying for you!

• Indiana
    Jan. 31, 2010 3:03 a.m.

There are worse things than death. Who knows the mind and will of God. His thoughts are higher than our thoughts and His ways higher than our ways. I cannot begin to second guess God or tell Him how to do His job. What I can do is mourn with those that mourn, comfort those that stand in need of comfort and stand as a witness of God in all things and all times and all places that I may be in. May God bless these wonderful families during what I am sure will be a very difficult walk...

• Wendy
    Jan. 31, 2010 2:37 a.m.

I am so sad!

• Aunt Christie
    Jan. 31, 2010 2:30 a.m.

I would like to thank all who have offered their condolences and prayers. We, the family, need and appreciate each and every one. Jace was an amazing young man, with a smile that can fill a room and warm the soul. He was devoted to his family and the gospel. Thank you, Joy, for the compassion in your comments above. There is no way to describe the grief we are experiencing and we are grateful for the blessings the gospel brings. There is a hole in our lives now, that only Jace could fill. He is loved, he is missed, He has RETURNED WITH HONOR! Our deepest condolences to the Burrows Family!

Jan. 31, 2010 1:43 a.m.

Very sad.

It goes to show the double danger of natural gas: it can asphyxiate. Or, it can blow a house to smithereens if ignited.

Very sorry this happened.

• To: Observer | 11:13 p.m. Jan. 3
    Jan. 31, 2010 1:40 a.m.

Thank you for sharing this Scripture from the Apocrypha. It is comforting to learn from other religious views.

To these families, may our Lord pour out choice blessings on you. These 2 young men are most likely already busy in the Spirit World.

• a mom
    Jan. 31, 2010 1:37 a.m.

We pray for the work to go forth, we pray for their safety, and we pray that they will return to us healthy and whole. Yet, as it is always is, and always will be..it is God's Will. I am a mom of a missionary who will leave the MTC within the week to serve in Russia. I know that he will be in God's hands. How hard this must be for these families, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Devon
    Jan. 31, 2010 1:21 a.m.

Words can not explain the feelings that come from losing a loved one, especially one as loved as these two young men were. I revere and honor these men who have a great work to do. What a blessing we have to know the truth of the after-life and the legacy these young men have left. I have looked up to Jace though he be younger than I for many years now. I can only imagine the young man he has become while he has been serving the Lord. At times like these it makes you wonder and think just how important it is that we live our lives as these young men were living theirs. Living for and in the service of others and the Savior. Well done my young friends and may the Lord reward you openly for the service you have and are rendering. My prayers are with the families and good luck to those who continue to fight for the cause of faith throughout the world.

• Kathryn
    Jan. 31, 2010 1:17 a.m.

I grew up with Jace and have known him my whole life. It is somewhat surreal to know that the last time I saw him was some time before he left for his mission and I will never see him again, especially since I am pretty sure he should have been getting off soon. I hope and pray that his family is doing alright and the McKay's. Jace was always a great guy. I'll miss seeing him play tennis with his equally funny doubles partner.

• Jennifer
    Jan. 31, 2010 12:53 a.m.

My son is serving a mission in Romania. My thoughts and prayers are with the Families of Elder Burrows and Elder Davis, along with the Elders in the Romania mission. May they have peace and comfort at this time.

• Lucian Carpenean Mihai
    Jan. 31, 2010 12:53 a.m.

I am a LDS from Romania. is so hard to accept what happened. news as Mormon missionaries, is to all television news in Romania. our heavenly Father to bless the families. saints in Romania are grateful to your sacrifice.

Jan. 31, 2010 12:47 a.m.

I am so sorry!

• Collier
    Jan. 31, 2010 12:28 a.m.

I worked with both in Romania, and you couldn't ask for greater Elders. Both had strong testimonies and are serving strongly on the other side. Words do not explain the grief, pain, or sorrow, but Davis' smile and Burrows' laugh will always be in my memory.

May God Bless their dear families, especially the two mothers. Know that you are not alone. You have friends, and family beside you, and more importantly, angels about you to bear you up. Let us do all we can to help and support these two amazing families!

• cate
    Jan. 31, 2010 12:15 a.m.

To the families, I am so very, very sorry. May the Lord bless you with the ability to cope with your loss and to find peace with what has happened.

• Nancy M.
    Jan. 31, 2010 12:11 a.m.

My heart goes out to these two dear families. We too have a missionary serving in a far away country and I can only imagine what it would be like to get a call like these families got. God Bless and comfort them. They will be in my prayers.

• dj
    Jan. 31, 2010 12:07 a.m.

Every missionary companionship should have a portable fire/carbon monoxide alarm set up in their rooms. My condolences to the families.

• God bless the families
    Jan. 30, 2010 11:47 p.m.

What a sad loss. There isn't much more you can say than that. They were doing the best thing they could with their lives, and they lost them. I'm sure they're working hard already on the other side.

• Marie ,Im n shock have no words
    Jan. 30, 2010 11:42 p.m.

GodBless you Both
    In sympathy to your Family~

• USU ALUM
    Jan. 30, 2010 11:39 p.m.

Words cannot express the feeling of grief and sympathy we all have for both of these great families. To the Burroughs and Davis Families, please accept our thoughts and prayers in this time of grief and lack of understanding.

We're told that only our Eternal Father knows the full measure of giving up a Son in the sacrifice of other (all of us). I'm not sure in my parochial understanding of the Atonement, if I can fully appreciate that sacrifice, nor your own deeply challenging loss you're asked to bear at this time.

I truly believe that these two Son's of God are even now receiving glory and the gratitude from their Eternal Father and Savior, for their sacrifice in the service of their fellow men. I also pray for the calming balm of Gilead to bless these Families lives as they strive to move forward and discover new ways to remember these fine young men through following their examples, and serving those who are also around them...

God Bless,

USU AGGIE

• Janetta
    Jan. 30, 2010 11:36 p.m.

My son is serving in Ukraine and hearing the news of these young men is heartbreaking. May the Lord bless the families as they try to deal with a grief I can only imagine. Our prayers go out to you.

• Joy
    Jan. 30, 2010 11:27 p.m.

I am so very sorry for both families. I am from the community in Nevada where Elder Davis comes from. His father just finished an honorable five years as a bishop this month. Last month their youngest daughter almost died of a long and terrible illness. Even before she was out of danger, an older daughter had to return temporarily from the MTC because of a different serious illness. This is a spiritual family and I know they will make it but this series of events would test the strongest.
    Please pray for both families.

• Sad
    Jan. 30, 2010 11:24 p.m.

Our hearts go out to the families.

• The Neighbors
    Jan. 30, 2010 11:17 p.m.

Sometimes there are no words to mend a broken heart only time. I pray GOD will find mercy for the Davis family ,this tragity, with all of there others are more than one family should bare. May they let the Neighbors help carry the load. GOD ONLY KNOWS

• Observer
    Jan. 30, 2010 11:13 p.m.

Although I am not of your Faith my thoughts are with the families of these young men. Please allow me to share a Scripture from the Apocrypha. I hope it brings some comfort. Peace be to you.
    from the Book of Wisdom ( Catholic version)

"But the just man, though he die early, shall be at rest.

For the age that is honorable comes not with the passing of time, nor can it be measured in terms of years.

Rather, understanding is the hoary crown for men, and an unsullied life, the attainment of old age.

• Ann Ericksen
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:48 p.m.

To the Burrows family, please know that my love and prayers are with you during this difficult time. I have know Mckay since he was a young boy and it was neat to see him grow into such an outstanding Young Men. May the Lord bless you and comfort you all.

• God Bless
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:27 p.m.

May the Lord bless and comfort both of these families in the is time or sorrow. Their lives have been changed with the passing of their beloved sons. May their hearts be lifted and strengthened. I also must extend my love and prayers to the missionaries in Romania that are now mourning the loss of their friends and fellow missionaries.

• rusby
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:26 p.m.

I think we underestimate the danger of the appliances in these foreign missions. If my companion and I had not left our apartment an hour early one particular morning, we would have met a similar fate.
    I think missionaries should be trained to check the quality of the gas appliances as a safety precaution.

• byu alum
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:23 p.m.

I am very sad to hear this tragic news.

• Stephen Weber
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:20 p.m.

To the burrow's family, may you know how much we love you and pray for you. McKay was a blessing to everyone who knew him

• A great young man
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:19 p.m.

Mckay was and is a great young man. I had the opportunity to teach him in High School. What a great and caring family and I pray the Lord will comfort them at this time. You are in our thoughts and prayers as you go through this trying time. May the missionaries in Romania also be comforted at this time.

• Rachel
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:12 p.m.

Knowing what we do, and that they are both in such a better place, certainly doesn't take the pain away for loved ones still here. I pray they will be comforted.

• GodSpeed
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:09 p.m.

We as young men knew the risks,
    and now years later - We as parents know the risks.

If it was choice as to when I had to let one of mine go, it would be then and there.

My sincere condolences to the families.

• tom_al
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:00 p.m.

Very sad to hear this news. But at least they died doing the best thing they could be, serving the Lord. Now their missionary work continues in the spirit world. God be with you till you meet again!!!

• Rebecca
    Jan. 30, 2010 9:44 p.m.

I'm so sorry to both families who have lost a loved one, may you all be enveloped with peace, comfort, and the love that comes from the atonement of Jesus Christ. My prayers will be with both your families.

Jan. 30, 2010 9:33 p.m.

This is just heartbreaking. Would carbon monoxide detectors in an apartment prevent future tragedies?

• Idaho
    Jan. 30, 2010 9:06 p.m.

This is such sad news. We grieve with their families and pray for the Spirit to comfort them during this time and in the days ahead. God bless you all!

• No greater sacrifice
    Jan. 30, 2010 9:04 p.m.

There is no greater sacrifice than to give your life in the service of your fellow men.

• Wyo Reader
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:55 p.m.

As a mom with a son serving a mission in another country, my heart is breaking for these families. May our Heavenly Father pour out the blessings of comfort on these families and the missionaries in the Bucharest Mission.

• MoJules
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:54 p.m.

This is such a sad thing to hear, my heart goes out to the family. I hope that they will find peace and know that death was peaceful to these two young men. They have a very important work to do on the other side and I do not doubt that they want their family to be happy and know that they are serving another mission. I also hope that the members and missionaries from their mission will find peace and comfort also.

• Jeani
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:43 p.m.

So sorry to hear of such a tragedy...our love and prayers go out to the families - may God be with them during this time of heartache, may they have peace and comfort at this time. God bless the Mission President and fellow Missionaries serving in this area, may peace and comfort be with them, and the lives of those who have been blessed to know them

• Annette Pulley
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:40 p.m.

Dear Shirley and Dana,
    I'm so devastated to hear about McKay. I have so many good memories of him on Heritage Tours and how he explained to me how his testimony had grown. He was also so much fun with a beautiful smile. My prayers will be with you. May you be blessed. I'm so sorry.

• Frank Matheson
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:36 p.m.

A truly sad story, but repeated every couple of years. Almost 35 years ago, two months after returning from my mission, my favorite companion and his junior companion were similarly killed by asphyxiation. I still grieve when i think of it. I cannot believe that this continues to happen.

• True
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:33 p.m.

God bless.

• Dave
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:26 p.m.

Our prayers and love go out to the parents, family and the mission president.

• Wendy
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:16 p.m.

So sorry to hear. God bless their families at this time with the peace and comfort they need.

• David C
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:15 p.m.

My son was an assistant to the President in this mission and just got the word; he's devastated. He worked with both missionaries and relates how wonderful they were and how dedicated they were to the work of the Lord. May the Lord's sweet Spirit comfort the families in their loss.

Jan. 30, 2010 8:02 p.m.

God bless the families...

• BLBaker
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:02 p.m.

Our thoughts and prayer go out to the families of these two missionaries.

• sympathy
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:00 p.m.

These young men are heroes to me. How many people today would make the ultimate sacrifice for opportunity to spread the news of the gospel? I pray that the Lord's blessings will be with all the affected family and friends.

• Chris Laurence
    Jan. 30, 2010 7:42 p.m.

I'm so sorry for their families. The missions I've seen have tried very hard to find the safest living conditions for the missionaries. Sometimes your best efforts just aren't enough. I'm sorry to lose a couple of good young men out serving the Lord where they ought to be.

• Sandy
    Jan. 30, 2010 7:40 p.m.

God bless their families and fellow missionaries. One of them is my niece. Our hearts go out to them.

Jan. 30, 2010 7:30 p.m.

There are simply no words...

Jan. 30, 2010 7:22 p.m.

God comfort and bless the family and friends of these two young care givers!

• blissed out mom
    Jan. 30, 2010 7:21 p.m.

So sorry, to hear of this tragedy. I wish peace and love to their families with such heartache in losing a child, no matter if 1- 100 in age ... !

We all know the dangers of living in the cold weather season, as to the gas problems regarding furnaces & carbon monoxide here in Utah. It is not known whether people are as informed as we are, overseas in this area or not, of maintaining safe housing for persons in their apartments or homes.

Let's hope no one has to undergo this tragedy, again, by education and awareness, and help these families find peace, in their losses.
    please say a prayer & light a candle for them.

Jan. 30, 2010 7:20 p.m.

Such sad news....

• Bob Allen LeQuia
    Jan. 30, 2010 7:20 p.m.

Wow, sorry to hear about these two missionaries who died from afixiation. Some 30 years ago while I was serving in the Bolivia-La Paz. We had a missionary die from afixiation also from a propane tank leak. I remember the trauma still to this day.

• How Sad
    Jan. 30, 2010 7:10 p.m.

My heart goes out to these families.