BYU soccer: Brigham Young's South Field getting extreme makeover

• No photo?
    July 29, 2008 8:21 a.m.

How about a photo?

• Re: Gretzky
    March 11, 2008 12:23 p.m.

FYI, BYU does have a hockey team (ACHA, I presume you know what that means). Granted, they're not the Redwings, but for fans it's still great to watch.
    Also, as a rugby fan (both league and union), I agree that the new stadium at South Field could be used... hopefully the extra lines wouldn't confuse either team...
    If anyone's actually been to a BYU womens or mens soccer match, you realize how desperately this upgrade was needed. Thank you BYU!

• BYU was DI
    March 10, 2008 11:54 p.m.

BYU was a Div. I soccer school back in the 80's (1983-1987) but because of Title IX, and because of some rules violations (i.e. cheating) the team was disbanded and went back to the club or intramural level. Bored with winning everything at that level, BYU moved up to the PDL, which is just a tad higher that a collegiate DI team (pretty comparable though). Just thought I could inform some of the readers here.

• sock, ur??
    March 10, 2008 10:33 p.m.

a soccer game that ended 3-1??? what world are you living in? that's 4 soccer games' worth of scoring.

• Hockey at MC?
    March 10, 2008 9:42 p.m.

The couple of people that suggested that ice hockey would outdraw the 2 time defending MWC champs basketball team at the "Big Mac" (by the way no one has called the Marriott Center that for about 20 years, you sound old) is rediculous. BYU hockey is popular among the students and has good attendance at the Peaks arena, but I would compare it to Men's Volleyball, a team that has a ton of support among students, but not a lot of interest from the community in general.

As far as soccer in Utah goes, I doubt I will ever attend a BYU soccer or RSL game but I hope RSL does well, if only to prove to some rich investor that Utah would be a good home for another pro sports team (Baseball)?

• BlueRampage
    March 10, 2008 6:56 p.m.

The D1 comment makes sense if coming from somebody who doesn't know what's going on with BYU men's soccer. The stadium idea is great for both the women's D1 team and the men's professional team especially given the program goals to eventually become a USL First Division team.

FYI, PDL is already a higher level of play than NCAA D1. Also, the reason BYU didn't become an NCAA D1 team is rooted in Title IX which has done more to damage than to help women's athletics. Nonetheless, I also blame BYU for not putting more emphasis into the minor sports like wrestling, men's gymnastics, women's field hockey, etc. Once the big building is paid for, I would love to see BYU re-invest in minor sports with the windfall coming from football and MTN.

• BYUplayer
    March 10, 2008 6:45 p.m.

Well those who think soccer is boring are obviously bad judges of their time since they read articles that don't interest them in the first place.
    I am a player for the men's soccer team and would just like to comment about the previous question "what have these players done?".. Every p[layer on our team had the opportunity to play at d-1 scholarship schools but turned it down to play here. Because like coach Watkins told us when we were recruited.. we could beat any d-1 team in the country. And every year we play a few college teams such as d-1 UNLV last year, and beat them. We play profesional soccer and compete for a national championship.
    The sport will keep growing and these BYU programs will continue to establish themselves at the best in the nation.

• Gretzky
    March 10, 2008 6:44 p.m.

Re: HOCKEY...The Delta Center is NOT a good hockey arena. it was built for basketball and circuses. and even then it's not a great basketball venue. Hockey was never meant to be played in the Delta Center during the Olympics. You need to check out the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to visualize a great ice hockey arena. The Big MAC in Provo would definitely draw a great crowd for hockey and on average more fans would attend than BYU bball which was only seeing 10K plus change in fans on average this year. basketball is in no way as exciting as quality ice hockey. (and don't put the Grizzlies in the category of quality - it's bush league minor league.) a good solid Div. 1 NCAA hockey game is amazing. the atmosphere at a regular season game can only be rivaled perhaps by Final Four basketball games in comparison.

• parkcity
    March 10, 2008 6:43 p.m.

as far as the question 'who is shoving soccer down your throats?'
    it's gov huntsman. and checketts. and the construction workers on 94th.
    shove it down our throats by wasting millions and millions of taxpayer dollars on it, and 5 or 6 years from now, don't be surprised when we barf it all back up by way of a deserted stadium and an ownership group on the first train out of town.

• parkcity
    March 10, 2008 6:32 p.m.

'You're sentiments that soccer is boring are your own.'
    as are your sentiments that everyone loves soccer. the only reason that 700 billion more people watch soccer than the super bowl is because 95 percent of the world is dirt poor and soccer is the only sport they can afford to play. that doesn't mean it's better.

• Boring?
    March 10, 2008 5:59 p.m.

You're sentiments that soccer is boring are your own. Just as many people in America think "American Football" is boring or basketball. Combined those sports (especially the use of numerous "time outs" make those sports boring. I am an American, and a native Utahn who absolutely LOVES soccer, women's or men's. I think people would be surprised at how many people in Utah and America love soccer.

Unlike American Football you don't have to be big to be successful, and unlike Basketball you don't have to be tall to be successful, I have no idea why Americans continue to call "Football" football. It makes no sense.

I'm weird, I like all sports. Love to watch football, basketball, hockey, etc., and believe it or not soccer (I refer to this as football). Although I HATE timeouts. IF you hate something like soccer, don't do it. There are so many other things you and your kids could do with their time.

• Blows me away...
    March 10, 2008 5:26 p.m.

...that someone would come into a forum on a soccer article and take their time and energy to diss a sport they find boring. I would no more waste my time reading an article about baseball (let alone taking the time to comment on it), than I would sit on the curb and watch cars go by. Go figure!

There's no question that most soccer at the lower levels (and some at the higher levels) is boring. I refer to it as "swarm" soccer--everyone runs for the ball. The real problem w/kids' soccer in Utah is ball handling, not scoring. If you sent your kid to play softball and they couldn't catch the ball when it's thrown to them, or throw it to another player so he or she can catch it, or hit the ball some of the time, they'd get laughed off the field. Most parents can throw, hit and catch, so they teach their kids those basic skills before they try out for the team.

How many parents can trap, pass or shoot a soccer ball? There's the problem. No skills = boring soccer. It's universal in team sports: good teams have the basic skills down cold.

• Anonymous
    March 10, 2008 4:15 p.m.

Thats cool the soccer program is getting its dues!

I cant wait for the day when Lavell Edwards Stadium is fully enclosed and when there is enough fans willing to fill it week in and week out!

• Re: coot20
    March 10, 2008 4:08 p.m.

I think you've figured out how to make soccer more interesting, make each goal worth more points! Yeah, that will do it! (Tongue firmly in cheek)

• Riot anyone?
    March 10, 2008 4:05 p.m.

Soccer is boring. The end. Don't defend it. No one cares. It does take strength, speed, and skill to compete at soccer. It is tough mentally to run around in circles for hours and not lose interest. Why do you think people riot at soccer games? It is because they literally go crazy after watching the game for two hours.

• coot20
    March 10, 2008 3:35 p.m.

RR....When the score of a footbll game is 21-7 that means there was only 4 touchdowns scored. In soccer that would be 3-1. Your argument does not hold water for football. I have coached and cheered for all of my children as they have played soccer and other sports over the past 23 years. Every time I heard a child say that they were bored with the game it ment they did not have the strength,speed nor the skill level to compete. Its OK. Go BYU Soccer!! Thanks to the boosters who were so generous. Thanks to the administration and coaching staff. Have fun , Son.

• Never will be D-1
    March 10, 2008 3:35 p.m.

There are on D-1 teams in Utah for mens soccer because of Title IX. It keeps mens teams from happening. So there is your problem. DOWN WITH TITLE IX

• Scholarships
    March 10, 2008 2:25 p.m.

what caliber do they have now? what have these players done?...it's low grade professional, not top notch :(

• RR
    March 10, 2008 2:29 p.m.

I too think soccer is boring. I played when I was a kid, and got bored too fast. Soccer is not a U.S. sport, and that's why people don't catch on.

I don't understand why a person would enroll his kids in a sport he thinks is boring, then coach those kids. That argument was meaningless. Personally, I like sports where they score a lot. Basketball, football, and volleyball are fun to watch because scoring happens often, and often in very fun ways! I get bored when a ball is just going back and forth and back and forth and scoring rarely happens (hockey, soccer, baseball).

• Why a men's D1 team?
    March 10, 2008 2:22 p.m.

That would be a downgrade from the level they're currently competing at. The scholarships would be nice, but they probably couldn't attract the caliber of athletes that they are now.

• Just Use SL Real's Stadium
    March 10, 2008 1:37 p.m.

They should just use Real's new stadium in Sandy. It will undoubtedly be empty by the 2010 season and will be beggin for crows of 2,000 people.

• Never a D1 Mens team
    March 10, 2008 12:44 p.m.

First off more kids would play soccer longer if it were as popular as any other sport. Right now you have to be a die hard to stick with the sport, I think the MLS is growing, and having a local pro-team will be huge for generations to come if the League plays its cards right. I'd say Soccer is where basketball was in the early 50's, or the NFL in the 30's... back when baseball ruled.

Soccer is actually my favorite sport and I really wanted to see them go D1 until UVSC talked about it, only to find that all D1 programs were in California besides 2 in Colorado, and the University of New Mexico. I'm sure people can argue that the Volleyball team has to deal with an almost all California schedule too, but they don't have to compete with the Football team for fans during the fall like an NCAA soccer team would.

I like that the men's team is a pro-team anyway. I'm sure the players hate that they have to live by the rules of any BYU athlete without the option for a scholarship. I'm excited for a nice stadium to watch them play.

• Re: Re
    March 10, 2008 12:11 p.m.

Why would your kids play a sport that they think is boring. I like soccer, I enjoy playing it and I also have coached it. If I didn't like it I would not play - duh! I don't like softball and think it is boring therefore I don't play.

• Re:
    March 10, 2008 11:48 a.m.

Don't throw meaningless stats around. We don't live in other parts of the world, we live in the U.S. I'm so tired of that argument. Yes my comment does apply to those millions of other people. They play soccer because they don't have anything better to do. Listen, I have three children, they all play soccer, and I coach one of their teams and soccer is boring. It's boring to watch, play, and coach. That's just a fact.

• Re: Not a soccerFan
    March 10, 2008 11:31 a.m.

"...realize the error of their ways." Does your comment apply to the hundreds of millions in other countries where soccer is the most popular sport? Over 715 million people watched the 2006 World Cup Final match compared to 100 million for the NFL Super Bowl.

just curious..who is shoving soccer down your throats?

• Not a soccerFan
    March 10, 2008 10:56 a.m.

A lot of youth do a lot of things then they grow up and realize the error of their ways. Soccer is boring and Real Salt Lake will be gone within 5 years. Quit shoving soccer down our throats.

• UCSTRIKERS.COM
    March 10, 2008 8:25 a.m.

With more soccer players per capita than any state in the US - BYU Soccer is a great thing for all the kids and player parents in the valley. Especially since Real Salt Lake is much more expensive and farther away!
    The UC Strikers Soccer Club is proud of our association with BYU Men's & Women's soccer team/club and look forward to a long & successfull partnership.
    UC Strikers Board of Directors

• Rugby
    March 10, 2008 8:18 a.m.

How about sharing the field with the rugby team? Perennial powerhouse rugby has to play on a sloped field with wobbly goal posts and temporary stands that don't hold all the fans and no one worries about them. They play on the same sized field as the soccer teams and play at different times of the year, so there's no scheduling conflicts. How about some love for the rugby guys?

• SoccerFan
    March 10, 2008 8:44 a.m.

It's about time that soccer has a home. More youth play soccer than any other sport in Utah. Way to go BYU!

• Hockey
    March 10, 2008 8:24 a.m.

Ice Hockey may be a decent draw, but draw more than basketball??? Even the Olympic Men's Ice Hockey was not a big enough draw to bump short track speed skating and figure skating out of the Delta Center.

• "Y" Walker
    March 10, 2008 6:25 a.m.

With my job I walk to the Smithfield house about 1-2 days a week , Their is alot of action that goes on their, I have been to many sproting events their it is a fun place to go & seim , and stuff like that, but the other day as I was coming home I really noticed that it needed, a makeover, It will be nice when they get it done, and make it alot nicer to use the facilities,

• Gretzky
    March 10, 2008 6:06 a.m.

after the soccer field is completed, then let's get an ice plant in the Big Mac and start both a men's and women's div 1 ice hockey team programs...guaranteed more attendance than basketball.

• lezoave
    March 10, 2008 4:49 a.m.

Good start. I think BYU needs to replace the Smith Fieldhouse as well.

• What's Really Need!
    March 10, 2008 3:46 a.m.

Phase I should be getting D1 mens program, followed closely by getting D1 mens program.