Candidate promises to restore sanity

• Tom
    April 29, 2008 3:10 p.m.

This article is great news. I met Boyd in Washington DC in the late 80s. He is very good at building community and getting things done. This is very good news for the people of Provo and the state of Utah. Don't let this chance go. Support Boyd Petersen.

• Owen
    April 10, 2008 4:01 p.m.

Gutsy entrepreneurs, dedicated workers, world-class scientists, strong community values, and amazing natural resources are why Utah is so great. The knuckleheads on the hill don't have anything to do with it.

• Locked
    March 8, 2008 2:39 p.m.

Stan and Rebecca Lockhart own Utah County. Good luck taking their power away. You will need a lot of money and luck I suppose.

• to Nancy
    March 8, 2008 10:20 a.m.

I am not talking about your personal financial status--I am talking about the status of the state as a whole. I don't see any reason not to believe the "best managed state" statistic. Again, if anyone has an alternative explanation, I would LOVE to hear it. Republican leadership has produced a strong economy and a wonderful state. Can we not acknowledge the benefits of our state and the leadership therein rather than bash for no reason on those who do their best to lead it?

• Nancy
    March 7, 2008 8:38 p.m.

I also love how Republicans love to take all the credit. There are a lot of Democrats and Independents that deserve credit.

• Nancy
    March 7, 2008 8:31 p.m.

Speak for yourself. We had the same conditions when Democrats were leading the state, and it seemed I did better financially.

We need some balance, and I'm not falling for the "best managed state" mantra.

• Why change?
    March 7, 2008 4:57 p.m.

Utah is the best managed state in the nation. Why? Because of strong Republican leadership. If anyone has an alternative explanation, I would LOVE to hear it. Thanks to the good Republicans of this state, Utah has a strong budget, wonderful living conditions, and a great economy. We are the envy of the nation. Why replace what's working?

• Party-line voting
    March 7, 2008 4:36 p.m.

I sometimes consider voting the opposite party of what I am until I remember a little thing called party-line voting. Sometimes the best of people will go against how they would like to vote because the party they belong to takes a stand on an issue.

• nh
    March 7, 2008 3:07 p.m.

Utah County elected Bill Orton for three consecutive terms, until he was replaced by Chris Cannon in 1996. Given the right candidates and the right political climate, UT County voters will cross party lines. Check out the full slate of highly qualified candidates on the UT County Democrats website. The fact that these prominent individuals have agreed to run, some of whom have been Republican in the past and still vote Republican on certain national issues, shows that there is indeed a growing discontent with how far off track the one-party system has gotten, and a growing recognition that you don't have to be Republican to have "good values."

Granted, it may take time, but the GOP's days as a monopoly party in Utah County are numbered.

• Cody
    March 7, 2008 2:19 p.m.

Utah county will never vote Democrat, Why waste our time running.

• nh
    March 7, 2008 2:19 p.m.

Boyd Petersen would be a GREAT legislator for Utah County. Being the son-in-law of Hugh Nibley doesn't qualify him, but the fact that he is well-read and knows how to communicate is certainly a tremendous asset. He also has a degree in International Relations and several years experience working as non-partisan staff for the U.S. Senate Committee on Energy and National Resources and as a Senior Information Specialist for the Congressional Research Service at the Library of Congress, for which he was recognized with several awards. His experience and recognition as an excellent educator is also a great asset, given the significance of the education issues in our state. But most importantly to me, he would be a strong supporter of badly needed ethics reform, he has none of the conflict-of-interest problems of the incumbent (whose husband is one of the highest-spending lobbyists in Utah), and he would be a reasonable and intelligent voice in the debates over education, immigration, and health care.

• Mahonri
    March 7, 2008 10:11 a.m.

'sanity' and candidate are not to be used together.

• JH
    March 7, 2008 9:17 a.m.

Being the son-in-law of Hugh Nibley doesn't qualify this guy to do anything more than care for Nibley's grandchildren (if that). Running as a Democrat in Lockhart's seat demonstrates who is really "out of touch".

• Jay
    March 7, 2008 6:42 a.m.

I am so "sick & tired" of hearing about Mormon's supposedly superior ethics, morals,values, etc.

Reality check. Mormons are slowing losing it's dominance and control of the "voting power" of Utah residents, to non-mormon, non-white, voters. I Love It.