House permits open carry of loaded guns

• gunney1976
    June 26, 2008 6:51 p.m.

Utah's constitution is very clear- I have the individual right to keep and bare arms for self protection. The CCW law in itself is an infridgement to that right and only serves one purpose. That is to generate revenue for the state as shown by its policy of issueing CCW to no-residents. I have no objection to having a background check, or demonstrating that I am a qualified shooter. As a senior citizen on a limited income I resent the State charging me for a right which is already mine, granted under Art.1 Sec. 6 of the Utah Constitution.

• MagnaMom7
    March 5, 2008 9:01 p.m.

On a related note, SB157 Rights of Citizens to Carry Firearms in Declared Emergency ("the Katrina bill") has just passed the House ---
    Congrats and THANK YOU to Sen Mark Madsen and Rep Carl Wimmer!

• Tumbleweed Tom
    March 4, 2008 10:44 p.m.

The amendment prohibiting open carry on college campuses but allowing it in elementary, jr. high and high school makes sense. High school kids can probably handle seeing a teacher or other responsible adult carrying a gun in a holster and think nothing of it. On the other hand, U of U "geniuses" and their nutty professors would probably stampede, pile up like poultry in a panic and smother each other. Can you imagine anything as inflammatory and terrifying to U of U students and profs as a Colt resting peaceably in a leather holster? Eat your heart out Stephen King.

• Just a Guy
    March 4, 2008 7:42 p.m.

I guess it is good that they are "Clarifying" the law....but that is really all they are doing. Utah has always been an "open" carry state because there is nothing in the law that specifically prohibits it. I have had a CCW for several years now but I only carry when going to certain places where I feel the need to have my weapon with me. So many people get this impression that those of us with CCW's are nuts running around with guns all the time and that's just not the case. Open carry in some situations just doesn't make sense...and in others it certainly does. Way to go legislators for clarifying this law!!!!

• I'm Batman
    March 4, 2008 7:12 p.m.

This will really help crime go down the drain. Even in Utah you are not safe in many places without your own weapon for protection. That Trolley Square incident would have been over in seconds if those patron victims had guns of their own. But former Mayor Rocky Anderson doesn't believe in guns nor did he do anything about it!

• MagnaMom7
    March 4, 2008 6:01 p.m.

We have some very conservative/pro-gun legislators and activists - but we also have some very liberal/anti-gun legislators.

This article was certainly not the best, failing to name several of the individuals involved -- such as the bill's sponsor (Curt Oda, one of the "good guys") and those who suggested the amendments.

I recommend going to the leg home page and listening to the floor audio.

• Michael Peterson
    March 4, 2008 2:24 p.m.

Does anyone know who is pushing for changes in the carry laws? And Why? Also, does this over-ride a city ordinance on open carry?

The Utah constitution limits the scope of such laws in favor carry laws; I hope they are aware of that.....I know, they are lawmakers, but you never know.

• Real Estate Junkie
    March 4, 2008 1:53 p.m.

Why does this article not clearly point out that it is currently LEGAL to carry a loaded weapon in public WITHOUT any permit at all? A concealed weapon permit allows you to conceal that weapon because without the permit you can carry the weapon, but cannot conceal it. The second amendment guarantees us this right to carry a weapon and we don't need a permit for that and we certainly don't need a state law that attempts to take away our 2nd amendment right.